Options

RW F7 – aiming for 3.15

Comments

• Options

No marathon planned at the mo .... that heart trouble meant I didn't run much at all last year. Right now I'm back to base building. May think about an autumn mara if all goes well. Problem is if the old ticker goes haywire again I have to stop so just testing the waters right now.

I preferred the High 5 gels to SIS but may just switch back. If the stomach behaves, taking on water should be not problem really. Boston was just a complete write-off image

• Options

Wish this bloody ice would hurry up and thaw already image.  Fingers crossed for the predicted rise in temperature tomorrow.

An icy 8 miles done avg. 8:32 pace.  Ready for tomorrow's rest day!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Be scorchio this time tomorrow Tiny. Well done on getting that 8mi done.

• Options

Chuffin hell, miss a day and its four pages!

Well in Tiny -enjoy the rest

Chick - hope the heart goes well - my brother suffered with this and had the op - sorted now. booze was his main trigger.

Westy - the Run Wales one in March I take it? not the village bakery annual debacle. Pretty tempting - let me know if you are crossing the border - would be good to watch you cruise off into the distance after a few hundred yardsimage

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Deleted - wrong thread!

• Options
    Mennania wrote (see)

Chick - hope the heart goes well - my brother suffered with this and had the op - sorted now. booze was his main trigger.

yeah, that's what my doc said too image Glad your bro is ok now. I'm mostly on the wagon these days but made an exception when we spent a week on Lanzarote in early January.

Enjoy the rest, tiny

• Options
    chickadeee wrote (see)
    Enjoy the rest, tiny

Will do! Today's rest day will mostly involve making a lemon cheesecake which will be devoured tomorrow evening after the 16 miles with 10 at MP.  Already dreading the run but the thought of cheesecake should get me through.  At least conditions are set to improve.

On a totally unrelated note, the sale of my house completed yesterday.  This has been a source of major stress for me over the past few months and I can't tell you how much lighter I feel now that it's finally all sorted.  Stress really can affect your training (and sleep!).  Wine and pizza tonight to celebrate (not too much wine though, I'm a lightweight).

Hope everyone has a great weekend - happy running!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Good news on the house sale and enjoy the wine and pizza Tiny. Might have a beer (or two) myself. I've got 17 with 8 at mp tomorrow morning, so I'll be thinking of you doing yours while I've got my feet up.

• Options

Enjoy the celebrations Tiny, thats great news image

Just 5 mile recovery then 18 with 10mp on Sunday

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning Tiny. Fully rested? Terrible hangover? Got dog walk now and then my 17mi.

• Options

Congrats on house sale Tiny - It is a stress time - you can get out and enjoy the running now!

• Options

No hangover and well rested for this morning's long run - 16 miles with 10 at MP. Now prior to this thread I was aiming for 3:20, so target pace of about 7:30.  For 3:15 I'll need to be nearer to 3:20.  However, the last long run I did with a chunk at mara pace I really struggled hitting 7:30s, so thought I'd still keep it at 7:30 for now and hopefully lose that extra 10 secs per mile as the training continues.

So onto the run! A good breakfast of 3 weetabix and half a banana I was off.

Warm up miles

1 - 9:14

2 - 8:52

3 - 8:50

Marathon paced miles (aiming for 7:30ish)

4 - 7:33

5 - 7:32

6 - 7:23

7 - 7:20

8 - 7:29

9 - 7:23

10 - 7:27

11 - 7:53 (uphill and I completely died here)

12 - 7:26

13 - 7:06 (had a last ditch attempt at some speed but was mainly downhill anyway)

• Options

Cool down

14 - 8:27

15 - 8:28

16 - 8:07    (felt like I was actually going much slower in the cool down miles but it was such a relief not to be aiming for 7:30s anymore!)

So in total, 16 miles averaging 7:54 pace.  Not a bad run! I did struggle towards the end and I know I wouldn't have been able to hit consistent 7:20s.  However now that I'm going for a higher mileage plan I hope that building that aerobic engine will really help me.

Tell you what it feels good to have the long run out of the way by Saturday morning image

• Options

How was your 17 with 8 at MP westy?

• Options
    Nice work, tiny. I always struggle with MP miles early in the campaign. Don't worry, it will become easier as the training progresses.

Congrats on the house sale. That's one big chunk of worry and stress out of the equation.

Rest day for me. Out with the girls later. I'm driving, so there won't be a hangover tomorrowimage
  • Options

Great run, Tiny! Those loooooooong MP sections always strike me as a bit hardcore to plunge straight into. What I did last year (and am doing again this year) is to build in shorter MP runs in the early part of the plan, so that once I've done 4, 5, 6 and 8 the 10, 12 and 14 don't seem like that much of a horrific shock to the system (except I didn't do the 14 last year, which was even easier. image)

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done Tiny. That's a great run. Mine was similar (only faster of course!). If I'm going to get 2.45 again my mp would need to be 6.17...but currently when I do these runs all my mp miles are around the 6.25/6.30ish mark. I think I was in a similar place to this last year. My splits (few wee stops and sort out mp3 player stops first 7mi) :

warm up:   8.20, 8.08, 7.43, 8.18, 7.54, 7.27, 9.00
    mp miles:  6.17, 6.24, 6.27, 6.32, 6.25, 6.26, 6.27, 6.24
    cool down: 8.14, 8.14

Feel pretty wiped out now. Maybe yesterday's trip to gym wasn't such a good idea after all.

Enjoy the rest of your day Tiny.

We've got visitors tonight. I expect I'll be hungover tomorrow.

• Options

Cheers Chick. I remember struggling with MP at this point when I was training for Yorkshire mara, so I'm not going to worry about where I'm at just yet. Enjoy the rest day and have a great time tonight. I'm being cooked a curry by some pals and I've done a cheesecake in return. There will also be lots of wine now that I don't have to run long tomorrow image.

Lit I agree that those long chunks of MP already are well harsh! To be honest if anyone finds them comfortable at this point then their MP isn't ambitious enough. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

• Options

Great run Westy! Shit that's fast. Hope you recover well, no wonder you feel wiped out! I've had a milkshake, a hot bath, a reet good stretch and a bacon buttie - legs feeling so much better already.

• Options

Sounds like you hit those paces well Tiny. I am sure with a few more weeks training under your belt you will be able to run the mp sections at 7:20pace image Enjoy your evening

My 18 w/10mp is being done tomorrow morning

• Options

A great run Tiny brilliant pacing, mine was not as good image but there is lots of time to get as good at it as you image

• Options

Behave Stewart! Why do you not think your run was good?  I've seen on the P&D thread (yep I still lurk there!) that you hit all of your MP miles? Which is better than what I did!  It's supposed to be hard and I think all of us will be stuggling towards the end of a run like that....I know I certainly was.

Nice 4 and a bit mile recovery run this morning averaging 9:54 pace. I do love those recovery runs image.  A total of 51 miles for the week.  I intend to continue doing a mash of the up to 55 and 55-70 plans so will post tomorrow my intentions for the week ahead.  

• Options

The pace for the MP section was anywhere between 8:30 - 8:50 and my target MP is 8:25 I'm not overly concerned as I got 12 weeks of training to get it down.

Well done with your recovery run I have just done mine too image

• Options

Ah I see.  Well I was behind MP for most of my miles too - you've got to keep the faith that 12 weeks of decent training will see you make good progress - and it really will.  And don't forget we're running large chunks of MP on knackered legs.

Had a marathon cleaning session this afternoon and I am more knackered than as if I'd done a long run!

• Options

That's a great run Tiny - excellent pacing.  I can never to MP when I run my long runs on my own - just can't get the pacing right.  But for some reason I can do it in races - I have two 20 mile races and a 21 mile race in my schedule and will use those to get some MP miles into the long runs.  In the past couple of years I've done one of the 20 mile races at MP for the whole thing - not sure I will this year as it is only 5 weeks before VLM so might be a bit too close (the previous years it was 6 or 7 weeks out which felt do-able).  Probably need to make sure I have my sensible head on that day!

I had a completely stupid weekend - hard intervals (mile reps) on Saturday, and then 20 miles @ MP+60 yesterday.  Average pace came in bang on 8.20....but boy my legs were hurting in the last few miles!  I shouldn't have done the sessions back to back like that, but hadn't been able to get any intervals done during the week and wanted to get them done.  Hopefully this week I can space them out a bit image

• Options

Morning all!  Okay, rough plan for the week is as follows.....

Mon - 12 mile MLR
    Tues - LT run (5 GA miles + 5 LT miles) - will probably go to the track for this
    Wed - 10 mile GA
    Thurs - 5 mile recovery
    Fri - cross training (got a fitness test for a bootcamp challenge thing)
    Sat - 7 mile GA (will probably incorporate a slow parkrun in this) followed by bootcamp
    Sun - Long run - 18 miles

It all looks a bit full on and scary but I'll take it a day at a time. *deep breath*

• Options

Freemers that does sound like a stupid weekend! My long runs are much nearer to 9:00 minute miles and I often find that tough.  I'm very similar to you in that I really struggle to hit fast paces in training.  I still can't believe I managed a half at 6:48 pace when I still struggle to do anything more than a mile at that pace in training!

I think it's an excellent idea to use 20 mile races to get some MP miles in though - so much easier.  Plus it allows you to practise nutrition strategies/race day routine etc.  I wouldn't do the whole 20 at MP though, you nutter image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

That does look full on Tiny. Does the up to 55 plan really have 12, then LT, then 10? Have you swapped things round so you have a recovery run before the bootcamp thing? I would either swap the 5miles with the previous day's 10, or keep as is but make sure you run that 10 on Weds nice and slow.

Weather from Wednesday set to deteriorate.

• Options

The up to 55 has 10, 4, 11.  The upto 70 has 10, 14, 5.  So it's a mash between the two.  However I has switched the recovery round purely to fit in the sessions.....I go to club run on monday so can easily get the MLR done by running to club run and back.  I also know the track is quiet at 5-6 on a tuesday night so would be perfect for the LT run.  On Wednesday I have a friend who runs home from work that I could join (she only does this on a Wednesday). I can only run in the am on Thursday so recovery run seems best and can't run Friday.

Basically I'm just trying to make the sessions fit and also have some company on some of the longer runs.  I find the MLRs by myself so tedious, especially in the dark and I just find the time flies by much quicker with some company.

• Options

Heavy week that Tiny - I would swap the LT session with the recovery - do it as best you can on Thursday AM and knock a few of the GA s off ie 8 with 5 at LT. Whatever you choose don't over do it.