Options

RW F7 – aiming for 3.15

Comments

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Ok fair enough. Just go easy on that Wednesday run if you're tired from the previous two days. At least you then have three easyish days before the long run. What is this bootcamp?

I have 10mi with 4@LT today. Legs still a bit tired from saturday's mp run, but I think I'm good to go. Tempted to run to the gym and do the LT miles on a treadmill, my gym membership runs out end of this month so making use of it while I can.

• Options

Good suggestion Menn but can only manage about 50 minutes in am sessions and that involves getting up at 4:45am.  Definitely can't do an LT run then.

Urgh, getting all in a tizz trying to think what's best to do.  Just going to do tonight's MLR and then see where I'm at day by day I think.  If I need to reduce some miles somewhere or scrap the recovery run then I will.

Bootcamp has helped improve my running massively.  It's just an hour of circuit type strength training outside.  Lots of lunges, squats, core work, upper body etc. However on Friday night I'm doing my first fitness test.  In 8 weeks' time we have a second fitness test and the person that has made the most improvements overall wins.  It's just a bit of fun really but will certainly help with mara training I think.  Otherwise I probably wouldn't do any core/strength work!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I think do what you're doing Tiny, but reduce length of Wedneday's run if you need to. How long would today's club run be if you didn't run there and back?

• Options

Only about 6-7 Westy. 

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Well, totally up to you. You could just do the 6-7 tonight, 10/5 LT tomorrow, 10 (to 12?) wednesday?

Or just carry on as you are!

• Options

Tiny: agree with the others - looks like a pretty tough 3 days. I would perhaps switch the 10 mile GA and the 5 mile recovery around. My body would certainly appreciate a 5 mile recovery run after a hard LT sesh more than yet another MLR. If you stick to a really conservative pace on the MLR you should still be fresh enough for bootcamp the next day.

It's been raining all day today. So far I have yet to muster up some courage and go out there. Will probably wait till after work now so I can have a nice hot bath after having been drenched image

• Options

Morning all!

Hope you didn't get too drenched chickadeee?!

I decided to stick with my plan to run to club run and back.  Had company all the way and it was nice to break the run up a bit.  Managed just over 14 miles averaging 8:42 pace.  Slightly faster than I wanted but we did have a few minutes' rest both before the club run started and after it finished.

Some advice needed from you lovely lot please!  Regarding LT pace, am I right in thinking it should be somewhere between your ten mile and half mara pace?  If so, I'm screwed!! My half pace is 6:48 and there's no way I can run quicker than that for 5 miles in training image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

You going to do the 5mi on a track? See if you can do 4mi at half marathon pace, anything more is a bonus! LT pace should be the pace you could run fastest at for about ah hour.

• Options

Yes going to go the track (slow 2ish mile run there, do the LT session, slow 2ish mile run back).  Good idea to aim for 4.  Will give it my best! 

In other news, I am eating ALL THE FOOD today image.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

It will be hard Tiny, but yes, try your best. I also have quite an appetite at the moment. Munch munch.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

Yes you can!

wot he said

• Options

6:48 ... blimey! Good luck image

• Options

Job done!

I won't lie, that wasn't pretty.  It was chucking it down and I got soaked to the bone.  I forgot to take my gloves and by the time I got home I could barely open the front door because my hands were so numb.  I did the first mile too fast (probably because of the track setting) and then struggled with the second mile.  But....by the third mile everything just clicked.  I got into a comfortable rhythm and just sort of floated the last three miles, loved it!

Splits as follows:

6:39, 6:47, 6:46, 6:40, 6:33

A good 2.5 mile warm up and 2.5 cool down to bring total miles to 10.  I've tried doing the LT sessions on the treadmill and just running around the streets and I have to say that doing them on a track was so much easier.

Gammon, egg and spuds followed by toblerone for the recovery image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Brilliant Tiny. Well done. Bit weird that you loved a LT run, but there you go. Whatever floats your boat. 

• Options
    tinyrunner85 wrote (see)

I really struggle to hit fast paces in training.  I still can't believe I managed a half at 6:48 pace when I still struggle to do anything more than a mile at that pace in training!

tinyrunner85 wrote (see)

Job done!

Splits as follows:

6:39, 6:47, 6:46, 6:40, 6:33

Just sayin' image

Very good session there.  I'll be very surprised if you're not well under target in April.

• Options

Ha ha, thanks Dave. Doing it on the track was definitely a big help though. I think sometimes I just need to crack on and do it, rather than spending ages worrying about it and then doing it image.

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

It's the 'floated the last three miles' bit that got me, Dave.  Well done, Tiny.

• Options

Brilliant session Tiny  image

5 mile tempo for me yesterday - not quite so quick as you though....progressive pace on the TM, starting at just over 7 and ending at about 6.45 pace.  But I felt like i could do a few more miles at that pace, so all good.  I had one of those "competitive guys" on the TM next to me who tried to keep up with my pace every time I pushed it up a notch - epic fail.  If I was mean I would have pointed out that a sprightly 20-something man should really be able to keep up with a woman old enough to be his mother... image

Rest day today image

• Options

Ha ha, nice one Freemers!  I have to say that I can't get anywhere near even 7 minute miling on the treadmill.  I just feel so out of control and my legs flail underneath me, I hate it.  It's great that you felt like you could do a few more miles at that pace - I'm not sure I could have!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning Tiny. All ok? Still up for 10mi later? If wind behind you it will be a err....breeze...If not, just run behind your friend. 

I have 6mi easy run to get done and the elements are scaring me.

• Options

Well done Tiny! Although I'm not sure I would fancy doing an LT run on the track!image

8.5 hours sleep last night by the way!image

• Options

Excellent bit of kip there acp, I'm impressed! Honestly the track really wasn't that boring.  It allowed me to split each mile into 4 laps.  So if I was getting a bit knackered only half way through the mile I could tell myself "well it's only 2 more laps for this mile, and I can do 2 laps".

Westy - legs feeling surprisingly good today but I know they're bound to feel heavy when I start running.  I don't want to push my luck so I'll head out and just take it as it comes.  If I'm struggling I'll reduce it to 6 or 7, if not I'll do the full 10.  They'll definitely be done nice and slowly though.  

Worried about the impending snow storm tonight!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

If legs ok I reckon do the full 10 too. You've got a few easy days ahead to recover.

• Options

Wow, impressive stuff! Wouldn't say I ever enjoyed an LT sesh image. Let's say I enjoy the feeling afterwards, the smugness that it's over but the actual session is pure torture ... 6:33 is my flat out interval pace when doing mile reps btw image. But then I'm miles away from anything resembling the shape I was in around a year ago image. No point in looking back though. Things can only get better image 

• Options

10 miles done battling wind, snow and the type of stinging hail that feels like it's cutting your face open.  Legs predictably heavy on the climbs so backed off the pace but then let gravity do it's thing on the way down.  Just over 10 miles done averaging 8:50 pace.

Not too much snow on the ground at the moment but if the forecast is right (which it's often not)  it could be a winter wonderland by the time I get up tomorrow.  Will either be a rest day tomorrow a short recovery run, weather dependent.

• Options

Tiny, another great LT session yesterday, and battling the elements this evening the training looks like it is going well image

• Options

That was a great session yesterday Tiny... think I remember doing one just like that when I was aiming for sub 3:15 too. image

• Options

Thank you Stewart and lit! Give me a lot of confidence does that.  Yeah training going really well at the moment but I'm well aware there's a looooong slog left yet. I've only been doing the higher mileage plan for a week so not getting too comfortable just yet.

Well set off for work this morning and was forced to turn around after about 20 minutes.  Took another 40 minutes to get back.  All roads just gridlocked despite not being loads of snow.  Working from home today instead and definitely made the right decision - really heavy snow now!  Might just have to do my short recovery run today, love soft, fluffy, fresh snow image (running on it that is, hate driving in it!)

Anybody else got a dumping of snow?