Options

Monday 19th January 2004

Comments

• Options
    Jealous DD !!

(PS Iran must seem pretty dark after Dubai...)
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Well done all racers and esp. those PB's.

What: recovery run of as yet undecided length.
    Why: easy recovery.....nice
    last hard: NYD
    last rest: Friday
    last cheesy pasta: 3 days....and not tonight either (Indian) ..cold turkey alert!
  • Options
    careful perce - I am getting a bit worried about this non cheese bias that appears to be creeping in to your posts. I would advise you put tuesday aside as a pure cheesey pasta day.

You know you want it!
  • Options
    Gym for me today for the same reasons as Friday - can't get any time in the light, dangerous running around unlit country lanes, get bored running around same route in nearby village which has street lighting.

Mike - You sounded disappointed with your time yesterday which was a pb! Well done!
  • Options
    Thanks LM.

I am actually pretty pleased to now have a PB which better reflects the sort of time I should be doing at this distance.

On the other hand, having trumpeted for so long on these Training threads about how I was targetting 84 minutes and actually hoped to do even better, there is a sense of failure. Especially when I think back over little things in the race that might have made a difference and got me over the line in under 84.

So, as I said yesterday - mixed feelings.

At some stage, I'll probably want to have another go at improving that PB further. Need to have a think about what I could do trainingwise to achieve it - and whether any such changes would be practical/feasible for the time I have available.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Nice to see you posting on training v-rap!

Sorry RB, another time I'm sure!
  • Options
    Afternnon all.

Looks like I might be back from the dreaded injury. Raced the Dartford 10 Yesterday managed a time of 1:13:33.

Felt absolutely knackered at the end due to lack of training I think. But my knee felt fine.

What: 4 Miles recovery
    Why: Marathon schedule says so, and I want an easy ngith.

Last hard: Yesterdau
    Last rest: Too many to mention.

LL
  • Options
    Monday seems to be the cross-training/recovery/rest day. I'm joining the trend - new exercise class today; last hard session was [muddy] hills yesterday.

How can you guys run, particularly race, wearing heart rate monitors??? It's the last thing I'd want to know.

Best of luck, everybody.
  • Options
    Afternoon

what:lunchtime gym session x-trainer/rower and abs
    after collecting kids from school a 5 mile steady run

why: feel full of beans today so felt like doing a bit of cross training aswell as my scheduled run:)

catch you later
    tiaxx
  • Options
    Hi everyone

Woke up feeling great...legs feeling good and no acheyness after yesterday's 15. They are feeling like proper runnin legs at last!

What: 4 mile recovery run
    Why: wk 6 marathon schedule
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Friday

I bought some free weights last week... must start using them!
  • Options
    Hi all

What: 8-9 miles slow
    Why: recovery
    Last hard: yesterday (19.6 miles)
    Last rest: Tuesday 6 Jan

Well done to all the racers...
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

Haven't had a chance to catch up with the weekend's postings yet, but looks like some top results as always.

What: Rest.
    Why: Scheduled, and legs aching after yesterday's LSD 12 mile run. After careful consideration have decided to drop down to Hal Higdon's Novice schedule for the weekly mileage, but to carry on with the long run build-up as per Intermediate 1. At this point my legs can't handle both increased mileage and an extra day of running a week, and I'd rather get to the start line uninjured and not make my 4-hour target than have to miss the FLM altogether through injury. Still seem to be running long runs too fast (9-min/mile for yesterday's 12 miler, which for a 4-hour marathon would be faster than race pace!) - may have to start using HRM again to try to slow myself down. The pace is causing too much stress on my legs. My shoes don't seem to be helping - it may be my imagination but the new Nike Kantara II seems to be less well-cushioned than its predecessor. My old shoes felt like I was running on air: with the new ones, I'm only too aware that I'm running on concrete!
    Last hard: Most definitely yesterday!
    Last rest: Saturday.

Have a good day out there.
  • Options
    Afternoon all - some good performances over the weekend - fantastic conditions yesterday for the Sunday racers.

What: Saturday - 2 hours of jog, shuffle, run, some easy strides, stretching and "lunge walking" - covered 8 to 10 miles, calf on RHS very sore towards the end. Sunday - calf on RHS too painful to run on so 2 1/2 hours on the mountain bike - lovely sunnny day but cold on the bike.
    Why: Still feeling my way back from injury.
    Last hard: 10 days.
    Last rest: 3 days.

Paid a visit last Thursday to the Valence School near Sevenoaks (a Club colleague has a son there). It's a residential school for 100 or so young people with a variety of disabilities and handicaps (one of only a few in the UK). A thriving little community - some of the bravest kids and most dedicated staff you could meet. There's a limit to how much State funding can provide for them - have resolved to try and recover quickly from my current injury ASAP and try and help raise some sponsorship this year.
  • Options
    hi all.

Today I'm just doing my hand weights routine, and press-ups, sit-ups, etc.

It's my constructive 'rest' day.

We had a dusting of snow overnight, so it is a little easier to walk about without slipping so much. But it is still too cold for any melting to occur!!
  • Options
    Hi all, some great weekened results, congrats to everyone.

As a matter of interest Swerve, are you running in Asics? I read somewhere that they are narrow at the forefoot and when I ran my 1/2, my toes were quite badly damaged afterwards. Anyone else found this.

What: 2.5miles quick
    Why:trying to run as often as possible even when I don't really have time.

Met up with Stickless today....what an inspiration!
  • Options
    Patouka, I agree with you Stickless is an inspiration.

Great results from yesterday.

What: 15 miles on mixed terrain. My long run for the week. It was raining, can't remember ever being so wet after a training run. I now know my gillet is not completely waterproof.

Have a good day everyone.

• Options
    Decided it was time I got back into the habit of joining in here. Might make sure I stick to my marathon plan too!

Have spent the last few weeks building from three sessions per week to a planned six sessions this week, not all running though. Current marathon plan is
    Mon Swim
    Tue Tempo
    Wed Steady (+ yoga possibly)
    Thu Speed
    Fri Gym (non running CV, weights & core stability)
    Sat Rest
    Sun LSD
    Never having exercised six days per week I shall be listening acutely to my bod for signs of protest.

What: gym (upper body weights, core stability) followed by swim
    Why: Seemed like a good idea to do both but probably wasn't; kn@ckered by the end. Next week I'll stick to swim only
    Last hard: Sunday - 13miles including 10k race.
    Last rest: Saturday
  • Options
    Patouka - no, Brooks. When I started I ran in the same size as my normal shoes and, unsurprisingly, lost a heap of toenails. I switched up a whole size and have mostly been fine. I was just wondering if I could stretch to another half size up to clear any remaining trouble (probably caused to some extent by the downhills yesterday).

In summary, er, no.
  • Options
    If you're losing toenails when running downhill, it would sound to me like that's probably caused by your foot sliding forwards in the shoe. Instead of going up another size, tying the laces tighter, or changing the way they're threaded might help more.

Just a thought anyway.
  • Options
    My latest ever posting on the training thread I think! Started new job today so busy busy busy and havent got my work PC set up so no daytime "visits" to the forum possble :o(

What: Nothing
    Why: Always rest on Mondays
    Last hard: Sat
    Last rest: last Monday

Quite miraculously, my painful hip seems to have cleared up overnight! I could hardly climb up the stairs to bed last night, had to go one step at a time and had resigned myself to another training break and a no-show at the Romsey 5 on Sunday.

However, I woke up this morning without even a twinge and so far it seems to have held off :o) Just hope things stay this way!!!

• Options
    Firstly big congatulations to everyone racing yesterday to many for me to remember but a stunning performance from everyone!!!

Also great training from those not racing it has taken me ages to read through thread;-)

Still feeling delicate(tummy bug) but knew this morning could not miss a day of my schedule so did 5.5-6 mile run it went okay(still feeling sick) but it was certainly mind over matter;-)

NE
    Good news on your Hip
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    decided in the end to go out for a longish walk this afternoon to ease the tired limbs.

ended up with them more tired than before after only 8 miles!

anyway - it'll help with the continued weight loss attempt
  • Options
    My 9M run turned into 10M, my legs felt tired but were feeling better by the end!

exile, glad your hip is ok.

Murf, nice to see you posting.
  • Options
    All the best for the future NE.

What: Very slow 3.3 miles
    Why: recovery run after yesterday.

Calves very tight, always more so in the Saucony I got recently (although they were great at first). Gonna give them a miss for a week, then try them again to see if it defo is them.

A.
  • Options
    Slight change of plan - the cold a little better so....

5 1/2 miles recovery run (41.20) after yesterday's trek in the Beacons + last night's knackering LSD session. Weather mild tonight + lots (LOTS !) of randy frogs about !!

However, other lowlife too sadly. Its been a long, long, time since I've witnessed any nonsense whilst out running but 4 sources of "runrage" tonight (probably more in one night than I've ever witnessed).

Have to log "for the record". There's also far too much positive stuff, good karma etc on the training threads lately !!

1. 15 mins in to my jog tonight and another (much faster) runner, bizarly, ran straight into the back of me

Luckily missed my l.achiles/ankle. He was very apologetic and a bit embarrased but, it seems, was trying to overtake on the inside of a very narrow path. No attempt to say "Excuse me" (the Doppler Effect may have been a factor..) or it seems overtake me on the outside.

Maybe physical ability is inversely proportional intelligence as a school friend once suggested....

THEN

2. Minutes later, some tw*t in a rusty hatchback mounted the pavement yards in front of me, cut across, and screamed to a halt inches in front of the chippy. Just missed me - in a state of clinical shock, (and being a chicken), I plodded on

FOLLOWED BY

3. Two teenage hooligans ahead pratting around on the pavement by the Halls of Residence. A middle aged women on bike cycled past - they both screamed at her, one lunging out with something (a stick ?). She looked horribly rattled as she went past me. For only the second time in 4 years I stopped and found myself screaming abuse at complete strangers.

FINALLY

4. A neighbour in an MPV flew past me and down our road (a cul de sac) at absurd speed narrowly missing some very young kids playing - she then honked away, blisfully ignorant of her own stupidity, and no doubt cursing these brats for not being in front of a PS2

To quote the undertaken in Dad's Army, we are all doomed !

Bring back the birch....

• Options
    A good point about the laces venom. I remember reading a RW blurb about different ways to tie your laces in order to achieve snugness at different points along the foot.

My feet definitely aren't sliding but I'll try and find the issue so you can see if it is any help swerve.
  • Options
    Legs a bit achey after the exertions of yesterday. Never stretch properly after a race and then had a 40 min drive home. Wishing I'd gone for a recovery run this morning but couldn't drag myself out of bed early enough.

Now have to decide how to taper for Tough Guy!

Hi Murf, you doing FLM again?
  • Options
    Evening all,

What: 10 km gentle recovery run

Why: 2 reasonably long days one after the other before today and hill session planned for tommorrow. Legs were sore before recovery run but the run breathed life into them. A great advert for the benefit of a gentle run rather than complete rest when legs are tired. Have also following on from general advice on here being looking up a sport masseur to see if a once a week massage would help.

Last rest: Friday

Last hard: Saturday

Mike S - one thing to consider is you may well simply be better suited to the shorter distances. Not everyone is made for the marathon or even the half as you keep rightly reminding people. Personally, only reason I am doing 2 marathons a year and gearing up all my training towards a marathon is there are virtually no races here in turkey. If I was back in Uk or Belgium I think i would race max one marathon per year and enjoy racing every other week at the 10km or x-country.

Simon
  • Options
    NE - just realised I misread your post, thought you put 'last' post ever. Silly me.

good luck in your new job still anyway...
  • Options
    Rest day after Grim - nice