Options

Paris Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options
    Carl D wrote (see)

Last time I ran Paris was in 2013. Always said I would go back and as next year is the 40th year of the event I thought I would have another go.

Blue pen. Race number 21484.

Little matter of running Chicago to get out of the way first though ....

Carl, welcome back mate - Paris Baby!. Hope the prep for Chicago is going well? We've you and Dannir over there and its the week before Amstercarnage, so we'll be looking for some inspirational performances from you both to help fire us up (no pressure!)

• Options
    Meadower wrote (see)
    I'd be up for a spot of munch/a drink/football through the day, a good way to while away the hours.

Woops, my brain auto-corrected to this - it'll be the athletics that's on!  Not seen any live before image

Welcome to the new folk!  Paris is fantastic, and these guys here make it at least doubly so. 

As for training plans, I've used P&D or Jack Daniels in the past.  I tend to use them as good guides more than anything and heavily adapt them to fit in around my rock and roll lifestyle image.  Plenty of great advice to be had here.

• Options
    Morning all!

Welcome to all the Paris newbies and well done for choosing Paris. Stick around this is a great place to hang out and a great place for any advice ???
  • Options
    That should have been a smiley face!! Posting from phone!!!
  • Options
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Danni - It would be great to see you in Paris again. If you're running I'm 100% there.

You are not making this easier!

Actually, it might be quite possible.  Two Oceans in South Africa is the week before - I could do that and then do Paris the next weekend on the way back to the US.  Would make excellent Comrades training, and even more excellent socializing.  

• Options

Dannirr - Do it, do it.

Eggy - You know you won't be able to stay away regardless.

• Options

Yeah Danni - come on, come on.... image

• Options

Just signed up for Paris (obviously as I’m here) along with Mrs Eskimo, Mrs Eskimo’s sister and husband (Could be a bit messy afterwards).

This will be my 16th marathon but will be quite emotional after my dad past away this year and knowing Paris was one of his favourite’s that he had done. Really want 3:45 but would be happy with under 4hr. PB was set last year at the Yorkshire Marathon (4hr 1m 24s) which was also hard as my dad was in hospital for 3.5 months and came out the day before the race (Was planning on doing it).

Keeping my running up to Christmas pretty consistent as I’m running 5 times a week at the moment with a 2hr long run at the weekends. Probably try and increase my long runs to around 15/16 by Christmas so I can then hopefully move on with increasing the mileage slowly after. Trying to work on a bit of speed as this should make the target achievable. Did a 1:45 half earlier in the year and hopefully would like to get into 1:40 or just below shape.

Bib number is 33204 (3:45 Pen)

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Wendy DIBBLE wrote (see)

I hope you are using the coloured tape kenno.... The colour of the power ranger is important........... Seriously I'm so please de it's working.

My tape is black, but I have purchased blue for when it runs out. Only problem is I also wear calf guards so I only get the power ranger affect when I'm not running!

Did my usual 10K run earlier today and the speed I would normally run close to a half marathon was back - but was only slowed down by the toilet problem. I don't know what's going on! This is going to be a problem for a marathon!

• Options

Welcome Quinn. What a great way to honour your Dad's memory. Good on you. 

Post your bib numbers and all of the Mighty Quinns and get the list fairy working. 

Plans. I adapted Hal Higdon's plan for my 2nd and used one off the Asics site for my first. I sort of make up a plan now but it tends to be increase mileage gradually and throw in some 'speed' sessions to keep things interesting. 

Kenno - have you kept a diary of incomings and outgoings to see if you can identify a pattern (I nearly said 'have you kept a log....' But thought better of it. image

Is it only when running?

• Options

All entered and I've booked to stay in the Hotel Ibis, is anyone else staying there or has stayed there as I booked it straight away in a moment of madness as I was panicking that all the rooms would go! It looks pretty good though and only 3 miles out of the city centre so happy with that image I opted to do 3 nights as thought just doing the 2 would be a bit rushed, plus wouldn't mind doing a bit of the sites as well.

just need to get my eurostar ticket when they go on sale now...

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭

Orbutt - no diary kept, but maybe I will do.  Come to think of it, since being back from holiday maybe it's not all been 'right'.  What's the deal then?  Are there toilets on the route?  Are there queues?  I'm doing Amsterdam next month too, anyone know if there are toilets?

• Options
    Might be worth a chat with your gp.. I can't remember where you went on holiday but quite possible to come back with all sorts of bugs even from apparently "safe" places. If he does send a sample make sure it is microscopes as well as cultured... Speaking from experience here so good luck.

Actually I too am interested in the toilet availability in Paris .
  • Options

Uh-oh. Toilet talk. Don't get this lot started ...

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Hello all the new people!! This really is the best marathon forum in the world, with a wealth of information on Paris, running a marathon in Paris, running in general and general topics like potty talk and knickers...

There are toilets along the way in Paris I know (though I've never had to use them so I can't comment on queues/general hygiene), and lots of people have mentioned nipping in to cafes on the way and you always see quite a few men and one or two women emerging from the trees in the Bois de Vincennes... I'm sure there will be toilets along the way in Amsterdam too Kenno

I've been quiet lately as I haven't been doing my training as I should have been due to summer madness, work/life stress and a slightly gammy foot so I'm now definitely out for Berlin (BOO!) and thinking of moving down to the half for Amsterdam if I make it there at all. But at least it leaves me with a hope of starting Paris training with usable limbs and hopefully I can use from now till Christmas to keep building on fitness. It was all going so well at the beginning of summer - I think next summer I'm going to just slink off until everyone's back to school/work.

Which Ibis is it you're booked into born2run4? I've been staying at the same place in Montmarte for the last 2 years (which I think has an Ibis round the corner), as well as staying there for a few other visits to Paris too. I had thought I might be brave an try somewhere new this time, but I'm having serious doubts about venturing into the unknown now... Might be a good excuse for a rekkie visit in advance.

• Options
    Nodster wrote (see)
    Welcome Sam, you've already made your first great decision by coming on here.

Loads of valuable advice from experienced people on here.... along with some mad advice from some crazy people tooimageimage

Nodster ive finally found the forum.

• Options
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Welcome to the Julie-Marie and LittleLau1 and the returning Carl D. image

reflekting - For training plans I'd look at see what looks good to you and what you will be able to fit in training wise. I know some have used the runners world plans in the past, and the Hal Hidgon plans are popular with people stepping to the marathon distance. The P&D schedules are popular with those really wanting to push themselves, but personally I think the P&D plans might be too much for most on their first marathon,

I'm not much use on plans as I devised my own and have adjusted it over the years.

Danni - It would be great to see you in Paris again. If you're running I'm 100% there.

yer maj wrote (see)

Morning image

Reflekting - if you're running and cross training at the moment then it sounds like the FIRST plan might work for you.  3 runs a week (one intervals, one tempo, one long) and two cross training sessions.  I started training this way last year as I was finding the mileage too high for my old, knackered joints on some other plans.  It's not easy - the mileage isn't high and the runs are....quite challenging....but it has worked for me so far.  A good introduction to it is "Run Less Run Faster"

Thanks both - I'll definitely take a look at these. Really helpful advice!

• Options

River-D any friend of Nodster's is a friend of ours image

Kenno there are bogs en-route but they sometimes have queues. I know that some people take imodium before races, which could be an option but it's probably better to get checked out. 

Also, as the great ATM says, if the worst comes to the worst just go anywhere and close your eyes. That way, no one can see you. image

• Options

Come to Paris Danni!! Sounds like there's a bit of a plan there already! Perfect for Comrades!

• Options
    Thank for the warm welcome... I am so excited for this. I have used he same app makers from couch to 5k all the way up to the latest download of 42k so I trust it works for me, my training starts on the 14th December and I have an 11 mile run scheduled on Boxing Day (This will be a different christmas!)

Can anyone recommend a hotel, B & B Etc near the race? Do I just call the doctor about the medical form and they just sign it? My pen is pink and my bib number is 69321 - I am sure I will have many more questions
  • Options
    Oh just a quick one what do tourism to keep hydrated? Do you all recommend gels? I haven't used anything before as my longest distance has been 13.1 thanks
  • Options

Could someone add me to the list please?

59954 -grey? 4:15 estimated time.

Thank you for all the great advice on here it much appreciated . I intend to slowly read through it over the next couple of weeks as I suspect it will answer most of the questions I have.

I see a lot of people are staying in hotels, has anyone any camping recommendations?

We are coming over in the camper van and will probably use a site near Versailles before going on to Disney, but I would prefer something a bit closer if possible as I am concerned about getting in on time using public transport on marathon day.

I'm going to book an appointment and  take my form into the doctor after payday. They would not tell me a cost for completing it until they have seen it but knowing my surgery it wont be cheap.

• Options

This is a marvellous forum. 

The furthest have run is 20 K (very slow laps around the park). I will do my first proper run the Great South Run next month. I'm following the Hal Higdon 15-K training guide for novice runners.

Does anyone have any opinion on the Hal Higdon guides? I was thinking of going with the novice 1 marathon prep for Paris.

• Options

ahh slowly working my way through and seen the comment Hal Higdon

• Options

Littlelau - there are loads of hotels available and as long as you get one one one of the metro lines that goes to Charles de Gaulle Etoille (Arc de Triomphe) you'll be fine. Even better is to get one close to the Arc but the prices go up a bit the nearer you get. 

I think Eggy stays in Montmatre (in an Ibis, I think) and swears by it. 

With regards gels etc, you'll need to practice. I went through quite a few before I found the ones I'm using now (High5) but it's a question of taste. Some can be a bit thick, some a bit runny. Get a bunch of single ones and try tasting them. Some need to be taken with water (and there are water stations every 5k if you don't want to carry it).  However, try gels on your long runs - even if you don't need them - to see how your stomach copes. 

goinglong - I was really lucky this time as my Dr has run marathons so he just signed mine, no charge. I was once quoted £60 and some people have been told they'll need full medicals. 

Julie-Marie Hal's plans are really good. He's a wee bit sexist but he knows his stuff. 

• Options

Orbutt is correct. I've stayed in the same hotel the last four years, the Ibis in Montmartre. It's cheap by Paris standards. It's an easy 15 minute Metro ride from the start/finish on line 2 and is close to Metro line 12 for getting out to the Expo. It's nothing fancy, but it's a good budget choice for the marathon weekend.

For the medical certificates be sure to print off the form that is on the marathon website to be signed and stamped. The cost of getting it signed is up to the GP. Some get it done for free, others want to charge a fortune.

For gels or other types of food for fuelling, experiment and practice. That's one of the things to do on all your long training runs. Some people don't get on with gels at all, some have to stick to specific brands. Try out a few different approaching in training and when you find one works for you stick with it and use that on race day.

• Options
    Oh my god I'm scared!!! Signed up for Paris and marathon Virgin currently running a slow 12k so got a fair bit to build up.

I saw someone mentioned a 6 hour cut off earlier on in the thread and that's the first I Heard of it and now really worried. I looked at last years results and some were well over the 6 hours! Is it a new thing?
  • Options
    Oh forgot bib 69152 and rose pen I pursume that's pink to us!

As I'm very new to all this any help and advise will be great fully received

Thanks
  • Options

Hayley - yes, technically there is a 6 hour cutoff but as you say, people do still come in after that. They'll start opening the roads again eventually, but you can still finish. But let's not be pessimistic here - with a good training plan and a following wind you'll get there long before that image.