Options

Paris Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Sweety2 - change of nickname. Hadn't spotted that for a moment image

• Options

KennyM - you've just made life easy there, cheers.

Meadower - so is your plan to do Chicago in Autumn 16 then London Spring 17?

• Options

Signed up for Paris 2016 yesterday.  It will be my first Marathon after several Half Marathons and will be going off in a Violet bib number, looking for a sub 3 hour 45 min time.

/members/images/613542/Gallery/Marathon_de_Paris_Bib_37589.png

Hopefully get to hook up with some of you guys over there.

Nervous but looking forwards to it.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Smudgerncfc welcome to the thread.

• Options
    Welcome Smudger, PJ and all the newbies.

Reminder to all, to print off your med cert from the Paris Marathon Website, fill it in and get it signed and stamped (very important) by your GP.

I just got mine done (for free-result-some GPs charge).

Eurostar is booked so just need to get the Accommodation sorted. Leaving the family at home this time so looking for a party apartment option or room share with running pals who are also in the race.
  • Options

Not been on for a couple of weeks.

One XC race completed on the 25th followed by a 10k on the 4th (Was well over 10k though). Not very fast on either races as i was suffering from a cold. Got 3 more XC races before Christmas and another 10k (hilly) on the 22nd November. Will use these as tempo runs and possibly go for a 10M race in December to see where my fitness is.

Two more members of the club have entered Paris so plenty of people to train with even though they are slightly faster than me 

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Welcome Smudgetncfc - you've picked a great race. 

Jimbob - you staying for beers this time?

Quinn XC ! Hardcore, well done. 

• Options
    Yes O! Deffo, although to be fair I did 3 hours beer quaffing at both the last 2, but this time I'm staying until someone carries me out.
  • Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Interesting assessment of hotel prices KennyM.

Next year I'll be at the Pink (Disneyland) Hotel, last year we went to Hotel New York. Just checked the disneylandparis.fr prices and very similar to what we paid (quite expensive for 4 nights / 5 days but do include breakfast and day passes).

The kids will love it, though they do think they are going to Hotel New York again ... Which was very good btw.

We're travelling on the Thursday staying overnight at Folkestone and checking in on Friday, returning Tuesday evening, again staying at the holiday inn at Folkestone before returning to Leeds on the Wednesday.
  • Options
    KennyMKennyM ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    Reminder to all, to print off your med cert from the Paris Marathon Website, fill it in and get it signed and stamped (very important) by your GP. 

Seems a bit strange that the template has slightly different wording than that in the FAQs, and you'd think they would put the race name/logo on it.  All seems a bit amateur... just a hoop to jump through I guess.

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Can you share the link to the medical form please so I can check I've the right/latest version
  • Options

Kenny - the med cert isn't specific to the Paris marathon, it's a standard form used for all races in France. And, with slight changes in wording, there are similar forms for other sports such as cross country skiing or tri. If you get you doctor to sign the blank, make copies and write the name on afterwards, you can re use it for any other races you take part in, in France - it's valid for a year.

• Options
    That's what I've done. Italian races also require a med cert or a "licence". My EA membership card is the licence apparently but I've used one of my med cert copies to make me a cert for Florence. Might as well just in case there's any gip at the expo.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

They normally publish an updated one of the med certificate but it doesnt change really each year.

Orbutt wrote (see)

Sweety2 - change of nickname. Hadn't spotted that for a moment image

ooh! I didnt notice it either!

• Options

Hi All, i have just signed up for Paris 2016, cant wait!  one question though, i will be travelling with my family so the plan was to stay at Disney, not knowing the area i wondered if anyone has done this before? is it practical? and is transport available too and from marathon?

All help appreciated

Andy

• Options
    KennyMKennyM ✭✭✭

Welcome Andy. 

The train schedule for April hasn't been published yet.  However, the current timetable has Sunday trains starting at about 6am so this shouldn't be a problem.

You can get the train (RER B line) from Marne La Valee-Chessy (Disneyland) to Paris Chatelet/Les Halles which takes about 40 minutes.  From there it's a simple change onto either the RER A line (if timings work) or the Paris Metro Line 1 which will take about 10 minutes. 

So definitely possible to do it in around an hour of travel -  although you'll need to set off quite early.

There may be other options but we've done that route in the past.

The only problem is whether you'll want to be doing Disney (which is quite tiring) before or directly after the marathon.  Plus if staying in the official hotels you'll be paying a premium for a wasted day of park entry.

We decided to turn the marathon into a family break.  We're staying a few days in Paris before the race and then a few nights at Disney afterwards; starting on the Tuesday once I'm hopefully "recovered"!

Your plan will also work... just as long as you (and your family) are prepared for tiredness!

• Options

Well spotted eagle eyes!!  Thought it was time to change - keep my mind on other things  image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Sweety says all that needs to be said.  image

• Options

Thanks KennyM really appreciate the info

• Options
    I was reading reviews for Brighton marathon.There seems to be loads of negative reviews.Now wondering whether to just do Liverpool instead.Any one done both and have a preference.Im looking for an April/May uk marathon
  • Options
    KennyMKennyM ✭✭✭

Edinburgh (May) gets mixed reviews.  Its my local marathon and I have done it twice.  

There have been organisational issues in the past, but all the issues have been resolved gradually.  I ran it in 2013 and 2014 and was happy enough and I supported a friend this year and observed few problems.

A PB is distinctly possible although wind can be a problem if you're unlucky.  The course is mostly outside the city along the coast so not the best for sightseeing.  To be fair, that's because the centre of Edinburgh is rather hilly and this way they get a nice downhill/flat course!   

Somebody suggested Manchester to me before I signed up for Paris.  It has PB potentiall too.

Finally - I would highly recommend Rotterdam in April... it was an amazing event: great organisation, flat course with some scenic bits and amazing crowd support (better than Berlin!)  Probably cheaper and easier than travelling in the UK: cheap flight to Amsterdam, and easy to find good value accommodation near the start if you book well enough in advance.

• Options
    Kenny:cheers for the recommendations but I've ran Edinburgh in 2012 and Manchester this year.You're right about PB opportunities in both races.No headwind for me in Edinburgh just 27c heat,not a great experience for my 1st marathon.
  • Options
    KennyMKennyM ✭✭✭

No problem.

You're on the Paris thread... why not Paris?  (I may have missed it, sorry!).  If not, then as per above check out Rotterdam... it was brilliant and good value for money.  It was almost cheaper for me to go there than travel from Edinburgh to many other parts of the UK.

• Options
    KennyM wrote (see)

No problem.

You're on the Paris thread... why not Paris?  (I may have missed it, sorry!).  If not, then as per above check out Rotterdam... it was brilliant and good value for money.  It was almost cheaper for me to go there than travel from Edinburgh to many other parts of the UK.

Once you come on the Paris thread ..... you can't leave ...... image

• Options
    I done Paris in 2014.I do plan on doing Paris again but not now.Ive got a few family holidays I want to do before my kids are too old for family holidays.I mostly use this thread as I feel I know the people even tho I only briefly met a few.

I'll check out Rotterdam as I agree it can be just as cheap if you find good flights
  • Options
    True jimbob.I was on the Manchester thread a bit while I was training for the marathon.Defo not the same vibes as you get on here.No talk of stools,farts,nickers etc image
  • Options
    image I know what you mean, I hate those threads where they insist on talking about running all the time.
  • Options
    I was reading reviews for Brighton marathon.There seems to be loads of negative reviews.Now wondering whether to just do Liverpool instead.Any one done both and have a preference.Im looking for an April/May uk marathon