Options

Manchester Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Nice run Cal-glad you're getting back to fitness.

I had an adventure this morning with  a new route-got a bit lost and ended up doing 20 instead of the planned 18 miles. Was pleased with how it went though as I felt controlled and steady ticking over the miles at 6:55 pace avg. Legs a bit sore during last few miles but that's to be expected I guess. Was the furthest I have run in my life so far....

• Options
    Well done Tom. Good one.
  • Options

Nice one Tom, the two mile bonus must have been nice with the 20 mile barrier conquered without any psychological worries leading up to it. I suspect you probably dont get those though!

From the start of my 21 miles legs were very tired as a result of yesterday's 7 miles with 8x100 strides. I suspect that was the intention. As a result went very steady early on but built up second half for a comfortable negative split. For half an hour after finishing my legs were very sore, more so than after any of my marathons. Ok now though. Glad to get it done, particularly without any fuel except for water. Did think of putting in an 'orapid super stride' at 18 miles but think it would have finished me off today!

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Well done on the 21 Bob-particularly on tired legs-that's some effort. Yeah the 'orapid super stride' went through my mind at 17 miles but thought it was best left for another day!

• Options

18m done, like bobdidmadrid was feeling it a bit from the off after yesterday's 7m with strides. Started off nice and easy (MP+90s) and slowly turned it up so the 18th mile was MP+10s. Felt pretty good but was tired towards the end - this lsr approach suits me well. 2 gels, 7m and 11m. No water. Biggest training mileage week ever, 54m (apart from when I did a 100k event but that doesn't count). 55m this week to come is going to be tougher as it includes a 10miler with 6m @ HMP on Friday then a 21miler on Sunday...eek.

Well done Cal, Tom and Bob - good to get those sessions in the bag. It was a warm one today out there, is that it for winter then or are we in for some USA style snowstorms yet? Go well folks, another week done, moving one step closer to your goals!

• Options

Well I saw a daffodil about to come out...

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Good running Orapidrun-snap with the 54 miles for the week. Was incredibly mild out there today. Looks like we've got strong winds returning this weekimage

• Options

I don't get the no water thing...

Apparently the left over storm will bring us (more) torrential rain...

Just completed 11.5 miles in around 2 hours. Calves seized up weirdly around mile 10.5. I suspect because I didn't take on anything... Glad to have got it done. 2 fun hours in a day otherwise totally filled with working. :/

• Options

More rain!? Just as I was thinking it would be nice to get some early morning runs in this week image

• Options

It was just an observation of the run, that's all, IkleBasielButn. Don't normally drink anything under 13m - perhaps a sip or two in a HM race - I was thirsty by the end of that 18 and will probably pick up a water bottle in the last part of next week's 21 miler but don't tend to drink too much unless it's v hot. In that 100k race it was a different story, was taking on a litre of fluid (+electrolytes) every 10k and still getting slowly dehydrated towards the end.

Well done on the 11.5m, tick.

• Options

I got my first 20 miler done today...  one that included a refuel with some ginger biscuits and some water about 9 miles from home.

People say you should run on an empty stomach and drink little in training... to train the body to use its reserves wisely.  That might be true... but it also might be true that it's good to train the body to accept fuel and water during training, because that's what I'll be doing in the race.  

• Options

Some good weekend runs i see, 20 miles at this stage is almost job done. What distance are you guys looking to run beforehand? I myself will probably do something like a 20 miler a couple of times and a couple of 22 miles. I dont want to peak too early.

Drinking, well today i did a 13 miler as a reduced week this week after my 18 miles last week and a tough week of other runs and the gym and swimming. I did not hydrate beforehand, nor during the run. I know i was dehydrated, but i am ok with that. Come race day when i am fuelled and been preparing all week and the crowds i will be great and then taking fuel on during the race and gels, i hope to be running strong (at least strong for me hehehe).

I think the main thing for me is not to over-train and for some guys on here not to peak to early, still 11 weeks to go is it not?

• Options

I'm a little surprised at the high mileage people are getting up to already. I'm hitting around 45km a week, not 45 miles!

I'm with JJ on this. I try not to eat too much the night before, but will usually stop for a few sips of water and have started taking a gel after 10k on my MLRs. Looks like my body can cope with the gels, which adds to the confidence on race day.

• Options

Same with me rob, i am running these this week :-

Normal hill session - About 8-9km.

8km Easy with 5 x 1 min pickups

Intervals - 1.5km warm up,5 x 1.5km @ 5:45, cool off (total around 10 - 10.5km)

LSR 28km - slow pace with 2 minute walks every 5km

So a weeks total of 54-55km.

• Options

Mighty impressed by the distances and paces being posted here. I did 12 miles in 2.28.50 this morning and ran well within myself throughout. I know I'm not going to be pushing for any world records at this pace, but I'm 53 and content to be one of life's happy plodders. Nice that the weather was so mild here in Worcestershire and that I could run in shorts.    

• Options

Like to do five 20-21 milers. Re the fuelling I seem to be able to do these at MP + 10% without anything except some water. For the MP runs I take Lucozade Sport and jelly babies as that is what I have on the big day.

Re mileage. Its all relative really. Returned to marathon running two years ago after a 30 year lay off! Having done that in 4:07 the next obvious target was sub 4. In order to achieve that followed the P&D 55 mile plan and it worked well (3:50). With each target being attained, for motivation purposes I find I have to set new goals. Having achieved 3:48 in Nov. this time sub 3:45 is the aim. Not sure how much more I can get it down (I'm 60 this year), but will continue until it seems to plateau. The P&D plan is very balanced but does put the emphasis on distance endurance early on. The VO2 max work comes later in the plan when the focus is more on race sharpness. I havent found that I've peaked early in either of the two previous P&D campaigns. It is a very individual thing though and finding a plan that works for you, physically as well as psychologically, is key.

Similarly balmy in neighbouring Herefordshire TT, look out this week though, not looking good!

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Didn't use any fuel/water on 20 miler yesterday but will do on next long run as was flagging a bit towards the end. Have got a couple of SIS gels to experiment with as they are the ones that are available on race day. Presumably these gels are best taken with water?

Re mileage: Having never gone the marathon distance I am keen to get in 5 or 6 20 mile plus runs to get the legs used to going that far and as a confidence boosting exercise if nothing else! I am aware, however, that the risk of injury and peeking to soon is always a possibility so don't intend to go above 60-65 miles per week and will include a couple of recovery/cutback weeks also. 

All the time I'm learning about this training and I'm finding it is all very different for different people. Good fun though although the weather forecast for this week is not looking good...

• Options

2 x 20 milers will do me nearer the time, thanks!

• Options

Some really good running going on here, well done everyone!

Re the finish, the only reason I was a bit miffed is because I am an MUFC fan and was looking forward to the finish there - although Scottish, I try to get down 2 - 3 times a season, before anyone starts! imageAnd also being Scottish I have no idea about anything cricket!! But it won't affect my race and yes Northender - 5 seconds at that stage in the race is majorly important so I'll take that!

Really interesting to read about all the different fuelling strategies, as Tom says it really is about what works for you and you only! I tried eating jelly babies whilst running once and threw up - never tried it again since and now stick to my favoured gels!

Well, I had a great psychological boost in that I got my first "proper" LSR done at the weekend, 11 miles in the bag and I felt quite good afterwards, so looking forward to getting up to 13 next week. I've not ran 11 miles for 8 months so it was good to be back out there doing it. Slow and steady, I'm looking forward to getting a couple of these 20 milers in too!

• Options

To the question above about gels being taken with water, i guess it is personal but they can be taken on their own.

• Options

I got a pack of SIS Gels delivered today (Pineapple and, Lemon and Mint flavours, WTF?) and the pack says they're intended to be taken without water

• Options

Well impressed with the mileage people are hitting - I'm up to 13 miles for my LSR - will try to up that slightly this weekend

• Options

18 miles on Sunday done along a perfectly flat out and back route in 2.26 and didn't feel to hard at all. Been doing the longer runs recently on hilly hard routes and certainly felt the benefit of that on the flatter route.

Some great running going on and with the hotel booked and the advanced rail tickets booked its all seeming more real and closer. 

Enjoyed the finish last year, hope the new finish hasn't lost any of that appeal.

• Options

I got 6 miles done today, 3 tempo, although due to the time out with the injury plus very windy conditions, it was a bit disappointingly slow. But it's miles in the bank, I suppose.

• Options

Great running weather in Leeds over the last few days - damp and not too cold. I managed 8 miles last night and a 6 mile run to work this morning. Will now rest before a long one at the weekend. Hope all going well for everyone else

• Options

Is there no wind in Leeds CJ? Think I'll move there! It has played havoc with my week. Battled against it on Tuesday for my 7 miles with 6x100m. Even worse yesterday for 12 mile MLR. It's not as if its all in one direction. It seems to gust and buffet you all the way round. Yesterday came out at 9:27 min miles but effort wise seemed more like 8:20.Felt like I'd spent two hours in a tumble drier!

Tomorrow should be LT 10 miles with 6. However, forecast is worst of the week. With that in mind went out this morning (rest day) to see if I could get the LT done. Could tell I didnt have it in the legs so just did Saturdays 5 mile recovery. Not really helped because I now face LT run on Saturday and 20 miles on Sunday and the forecast doesnt look great for either day! With legs feeling battered it might just be a good time to take a 4 day break and start again on Tuesday. Problem is on Saturday I will be feeling so guilty I'll probably get out and resume the legs v wind battle.

• Options

I think I was just lucky Bob - I'm sure there will be a payback soon enough!

• Options

Interesting to hear how everyone is getting on with the training! 

I will be doing my first marathon in Manchester in April, having done a few half marathons over the last few years. Looking forward to the challenge. Training going good so far. I have been trying to maintain a good mix of long runs and interval training. My longest runs so far have been 14/15 miles. Really hope I make it to the start line without picking up any injuries! Thats the first goal!!

Best of luck everyone!

• Options

Hello MrPotatoHead - good for you taking the plunge into the world of 26.2 mile races.

bobdidmadrid - sounds like we have the same plan in action, P&D right? Feeling a bit battered myself from last night's 12mlong run. Taking the whole day off today (hot bath and early night!) - cut down tomorrow's run to 7m (1E,6HMP) - do a Parkrun on Saturday with a 1m warmup and then take the LSR (20-21m) at the slow end of the range.... not slacking, just stripping it back to the bones. HMP into the wind, on your own isn't great and just flipping grim at best.

• Options

Yes, thats the one orapid. I like the sound of the compromise LT run- might do something similar. If there's strong winds about I usually try and sort it so its behind for the LT miles. This current batch doesnt seem to have any real pattern to it and comes at you from all angles! If Sunday is really bad I may look to turning next weeks 16 with 12 MP into 20 with 12 MP instead.