Options

Manchester Marathon 2016

Comments

• Options

P&D is a mileage taskmaster.

Signed up for Banbury15 already - washwood - first road race of 2016! It'll be a good last blast before Manchester - doing it instead of a 20m long run - then into a taper. See you there!

JJ8 - long run distances goes high quite quickly with P&D, then drops and focuses on MP runs e.g 16m with 12 @ MP up to 14-16m at MP towards the end - I've got one more LSR planned at 21m and a couple of 18's the rest is about race simulation - something I've lacked in the past.... Good job on your 17.5m - don't sweat the small change - seems like your making good improvements.

• Options

Starting to feel a wee bit jealous that I had to ditch the P & D plan for this now, reading all the comments, it really sounds like the plan is really starting to pay dividends for those that are following it. Ah well, guess I'll need to wait until the autumn!!

I got up to 13 miles at the weekend so another big boost for me, 15 this weekend, aiming to be up to 20 by the end of the month and then hopefully I can get the big mile weeks in before tapering. It's funny as I had to reassess my time plans for Manchester that I am not feeling half as much of the pressure as I normally do during training.   

Keep it up guys and stay safe - it's a bit wild out there!!

• Options

Wow some serious running this weekend! Great work on the Long runs and Parkrun PB!

last week was first in a while that I felt like a runner again, managed to eek out 50miles and even took a risk and did a 13.5 miler at 7mm on Saturday just to see how body coped. 

Seem to be ok this morning after backing it up with an easy paced 10 miler late last night. Think I will run Worthing now even if it is not a PB day be good to have a race under my belt. Not raced since Valencia marathon in Novembe (will be signing back up for that one tomorrow morning!!).

looking forward to seeing some great performances in Wokingham as my wife is running that one.

• Options

First 20 miler done yesterday. Plan is at least 2 more 20 milers in Feb and March and hopefully a 22 miler as one of them. 

Well done everyone, some good runs being done.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Good to see you getting back into it J Swizzle-50 miles is decent volume.

Nice to have that confidence booster Sesamoid-building up the miles nicely.

Well done on getting that First 20 miler done BIGEATER!

As usual, excellent training going on here.

How many weeks now until the big day? Down to 10 I think......can't wait image

• Options

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0ByvKM6vB84fJYnVrQS1uNTFGVTg

Yep, just the ten weeks left. I'm keeping tabs on how long I've got until each big event!

• Options

P & D plan ??

• Options

Ah see the word advanced tells me straight away this isnt for me !!image  What times are people aiming for ? Im struggling as my half PB indicates a time I feel is way out of reach so I am going off my marathon time from last year. 

• Options

My Half Marathon PB is at 1:37, but I'm hoping to get it down to 1:30 this year as I've never trained like this before. I'll know if I'm capable of that time in four weeks at the Cambridge Half. If I make it then I'll aim for 3:30 in the Manchester Marathon.

Which pace guestimation chart were you using?

• Options

Ok so I ran a 1.38 a 1.39 and then finally a 1.36 in December so I was going to aim for around 3.45. (last year I ran 3.59 for my first despite haveng a 1.38 half PB)  I think this may be a good aim then looking at what you have said Rob

• Options

It's a shame you didnt get the P&D book then washwood! My HM pb is 1:46. Following P&D I have done 3:50 and 3:48 (a 7 minute Boston qualification). This time, like you, I am hoping for sub 3:45. With a 1:36 HM pb Id be looking at sub 3:30 and reckon the P&D plan would help me get it. Do not be put off by 'Advanced'. It is quite a tough schedule but I have coped quite comfortably with the 18 week up to 55 mile plan (with a few extra miles tagged on to some of the longer runs) and I am by no means an 'advanced' runner - except in years! 

• Options

Im doing a runners world plan off here for sub 3.30 which is pretty full on although im a bit shirter on my long runs at mo, I do do 3 20 milers and 2 22 milers . May have to look into this P & D for future ref image

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Another P&D user here! Doing the 55-70 mile 12 week plan. I couldn't be classed as 'Advanced' in marathon terms as this will be my first attempt at it but I do like the philosophy and training plans in the book. My HM pb is 1:15 but don't think I'm in that shape at the moment-Wokingham HM in a couple of weeks will be a good guide to current fitness-so my initial target of Sub 3 and maybe sub 2:50 still stands for now. Will make a specific target in week of race. Got no idea how I'm going to convert to the Marathon distance but will be fun finding outimage

• Options

I am a total novice compared to you guys. I started running 3 years ago and have been massively helped on line in my own thread by LouiseG. She has pretty much got me to where i am today. I am 46 years old and have done 3 half marathons and the Manchester Marathon. Hell three years ago i could not run 100m and that is the truth.

So my Half Marathon PB is 2:06:xx and my my time for the marathon last year was get me round at 4:57:xx.

In other words for all the other runners in here dont be put off. I am aiming for something like 4:30 this time around but I think 4.40 is where i will end up, but i am pushing for that 4:30. 

I am slow but I love the challenge and feeding off you faster guys.

• Options

After 3.38 at Manchester last year I'm looking to get closer to the 3.30 this year. I don't follow any plans as such just run 4 times a week. Hill rep session, tempo session, a 8-10 mile marathon pace run and my Sunday long slower run.  I have two HM coming up, one 21/02 and the other 20/03 so I will have a good guide to where I am at. 

My current HM time is 1.32.58 so I should be capable of the 3.30 marathon but something in the mind holds me back from fully committing, I felt faint after a previous marathon and I have a fear of not being fully in control. 

• Options
    JJ8 v encouraging. This will be my fifth attempt at running a sub 4 hour marathon, closest being 4:10 last November. Had all kinds of itb nightmares which Hoka shoes seem to have finally fixed so I don't have to walk the second half any more!!
  • Options
    10th attempt, sorry. Don't know where that came from!!
  • Options

Managed to get back to more consistant running again. 10.75 miles on Sunday (some groing grumpiness after - took pain killers). 4 tempo yesterday (no issues) and 6 easy today (no issues).

Two and a half weeks to Hampton Court half. With the injury, I won't be setting a PB or even getting close to it but I'd like to do under 2:10 if I can.

• Options

I agree with Bob, Washwood, don't be put off by "advanced", Manchester will be my 5th Marathon but I still consider myself a novice. I ditched P & D as I wasn't ready after an ankle op to take it on so am now not following any specific plan, asides from trying to get in at least 1 x interval, 1 x tempo, 1 x easy, 1 x long run as a minimum, 1 x Xtrain and making them a wee bit harder / longer each week! I'm still reading the P & D book though - that part's easy! image 

The good thing I suppose in my favour is that I have the experience of previous training to know when I am ready to push and I am now slowly getting there. I would love to ultimately get a sub 330 (current PB 3.51). My plan as it stands (as of today!) is sub 3.50 at Manchester, sub 3.40 at Edinburgh in May and if all is going well, I will be jumping into P & D and going for sub 330 in Nottingham in September as I had to defer last year.

If I can get that magical sub 330 I will be dipping my toe into the world of ultra running next year image, otherwise I will be running Marathons until I get it!!

• Options

Funny that, Sesamoid, if I ever get the magical sub 3:30 I wont be dipping my toe, or anything else, into the world of ultra running! You've certainly got a busy spring/summer ahead.

Longest midweek run, 14 miles, of the schedule done this morning. Milestones gradually getting ticked off and halfway through on Sunday.

• Options

haha - yes Bob, it would only be the one race! There is a Glasgow to Edinburgh 55 mile run along the Forth / Union canal path that I have had my eye on. It's just one of these crazy ideas that I would love to run it as I do a bit of training along the canal when it's a bit warmer - and of course be able to gloat to my mates in the pub about it! Time will tell if I ever go for it though!! 

Well done on the 14 miles, great to see everyone making good progress now!

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Legs feeling a bit creaky during today's 15 mile MLR. Had a good/tough  LT session yesterday though so that probably explains it! The joy of P&D training!! Well done on the 14 miles Bob. Wow-nearly half way there! Do you find these midweek MLRs the least enjoyable sessions of the week? I certainly do...

I'm thinking of doing Nottingham in September Sesamoid. You done it before? Pb potential I take it?

• Options

Thanks Tom. No, I quite enjoy the MLR. Mind you I wouldnt if I'd just done a day in the classroom but now I'm retired I can get out at a time to suit me and then spend time recovering - today by watching England's batsmen rip SA apart in the 1st ODI.

I think the LT sessions are the ones I least look forward to but I am always really pleased when they are done and usually get a good confidence boost from them.

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Ha Ha Bob-that's why I do all my running before a day in the classroom. To shattered after a day's teaching!

• Options

Hey Tom, I only wanted to do it last year to get a Marathon under my belt in 2015 (and I really want one of the spinning medals!) but ankle op put paid to that. So really the only reason I am doing it this year is because I deferred, otherwise I would have looked for flatter courses. PB potential - doubtful and there are mixed reviews on the course and they're announcing a new route again for this year so who knows - I'll be going for it anyway, whatever the hills or terrain! imageI've never been to Nottingham and it looks a really nice place, if I don't get my time, I'll be back at Manchester again for 2017!!!

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Cheers Sesamoid, if it's hilly will probably give it a miss in favour of something flatter for the Autumn. Would like to travel abroad but funds are a bit tight so will look at Abingdon or maybe even Leicester as have heard they are both quite fast courses. Got to get the big one out the way first though....image

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just thought I'd pop onto here and say hi.

All entered for this and training is going OK, completed 16 miler up to now,but found out I was doing it at marathon pace so the longer runs shouldn't seem to bad when I now slow them down.

Good luck for everyone.
  • Options

Hi Ian5 - stick around, lots of good advice here on all aspects marathon and Manchester.

Due to an XC race on Sunday was going to do the (P&D) MP session this evening but developed a massive case of CBA'd after work, so in place paneled out a 7m Tempo run - felt easier than the one last week and with Wokingham just round the corner was pleased with this session. In fact was pretty much running my 10k pb pace, and it felt pretty good, for a cold and windy dark February night time run, I'll take that.

Tom13 - Abingdon is a good, local marathon. Club heavy and fast. It opens soon (late Feb) and usually sells out within a couple of weeks. It's defo worth doing if you're after a pb.

• Options

Bit tired today, got a combined 13m knocked out over 3 runs to back up a similar 14m over 4 runs on Tuesday and 6.5m on Wednesday.

feeling like I am on catch up after a couple busy weeks of work and a couple of weeks on the injury bench. Long runs are way behind where they were for both Brighton and both my Autumn marathons last year, so a bit worried about Worthing HM next week.

Just signed up for Valencia again in November, which the wife and I both loved last year. Tom did Abingdon last year and was a really well organised race but not that many runners although more at your kind of time than other domestic marathons at that time of year.