Options

VLM 2016 - First timers?

Comments

• Options

Biko - my commiserations. That's a shame. But you are making the right decision. Only you know your body. 2017 will be your year! You shall be fitter stronger!!

Jelly beans down the bra - ooh - yucky!! hey hope you aren't wearing a fitted top - it will look like you have several nipples image

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Sorry Biko - we'll just have to "absolutely smash it" next year !

I'm off the the expo now, just for a nose ready for 2017 image
  • Options

So far I've got my Family at Surrey Quays & Bermondsey.

I'm trying to find a way for them to see me after Mile 22 but looking at it this is where we are on both sides of the road, is there a crossing point at all so they can use Tower Hill Station then they can try and get to Westminster.

Not long now folks, sorting all this out is making me VERY excited!!

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Been to the expo this lunchtime - tried to blag a goody bag even though I hadn't got a running number, but they were having none of it image

It's pretty good, had a long chat with someone from Brooks about shoes, which could well be the root cause of my injury....

Some interesting stands about other events, but mostly people selling stuff you certainly don't need to start trying at this late stage (gels, protein bars, new socks, new shoes etc.). 

There's some useful pace bands and a great map on the floor in the Lucozade area, showing the route. I stood over the 11-mile marker and told myself that's how far I would have got before the knee pain became too much. It was worth the trip from Essex just to do that.

I'm thinking many of you won't be on here much after today (got to get your heads in the zone !), so get out there on Sunday and enjoy yourselves, achieve those goals, join the less than 1% of the population that have ever run a marathon and be proud of that. 

Then sign up for next year and join me on the 2017 thread.

• Options

Good luck next year Kieran. 

I'll be hitting the expo off the plane tomorrow tea time. 

Good luck to everyone here running on Sunday. Hope all who had to defer get back to strength soon. 

I'm in blue start and will probably be aiming to tag with 4:45 pacer but I'll probably be caught by Harmander at some stage. Thanks for your tips and helpful input here Harmander.

• Options

I don't know where I found this link - might have been on here back in the tonnes of comments but I've only just read it and thought it was really inspiring and has helped settle my nerves a bit!

http://www.honestfitness.co.uk/a-letter-to-myself-days-from-the-marathon/

Good luck everyone, see you on the start line! 

• Options

Well hello everyone! 

Went to the expo today and finally met Harmander which was great. So lucky to see the great marathon machine in the flesh image

Love reading all the worries as it makes me feel so much better about my own so please, please Lass, don't disappear.. I think they all have to go somewhere..

On the home stretch now... and I haven't been able to feel the bottom of my stomach for a while. Still, by this time on Sunday it'll all be over... 

• Options

You are welcome am9, 

It was great to meet the 'mother' of this great thread (Blithe) and Sick Note 2 too. image

Had some interesting queries ranging from 'they have put me in the wrong (slower) pen - what shall I do?' to (I paraphrase) ' we just entered our expected finish times as almost Championship times - errm we are now scared'. . Had a query from someone wanting to be a pacer too.

Also met some of my pacing colleagues for the first time - what a great bunch - I can assure you all that we are not secretly planning to go on an excursion to add a few extra miles on the day.

I picked up some goodies for my three grandkids and also won a free pair of glasses.

Sorry if I missed anyone - but would recommend you all to listen to the inspirational and informative speeches too - don't rush, just savour the moments and enjoy the visit too - it is all part of being a London Marathon Runner.

My heart goes out to all who have made the difficult but probably wise decision to defer. Be positive, you have gained extra training time and you are wiser as to what to do (or not) for next year.

• Options

2 more sleeps. 48 hours from now we'll have woken up, had breakfast and be heading towards the start line. Oh God.

I'm flying to London this evening. I may not have much Internet access (still no phone...), so a MASSIVE good luck to all on the thread. We've all come so far, just need to run, jog, walk or hobble to the mall now and get that medal. We can do this.

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Got my number yesterday, I'm in blue pen 9. The expo was ok, if I had time to kill I could have wandered round but I didn't really. Got my number and chip, had a brief look at a couple of stands, decided I didn't need anything new for Sunday, got a couple of pacing bands from the lucozade stand, picked up my goody bag and left.

Good luck to everyone on Sunday, 48 hours from now we will be milling about in the start area I expect.
  • Options

Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!Oh God!!imageimage

• Options
    ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Morning Jacky. My first words were exactly the same just replace god with a four letter expletive!

You know bring it on !!!!! On train now and expo this pm. Exciting eh
  • Options

I thought I'd post the censored version!

Can't decide if I'm nervous, worried, excited or what! Just want to get on that train tomorrow and get up there now.

As you say Shedboy, bring it on!!!image

• Options

Morning All

Went to excel last night and got my number. All I can say is WOW - I was like a kid in a sweet shop for the first time. They all knew it was my first time as I was so excited. I loved it there.

Great to meet Harmander!  Nice to hug the man I thought was off his trolley when I first read his comments about knowing what time 'exactly' he would finish. Now I know!!!

Bought lots of clothing with the official VLM on it. Also ordered a great picture with the route on that they put times and names on after. My partner and I will have a joint one.  Loved it up there. Ate more gel blocks and flap jacks and energy bars than anyone ever should ha ha.  Didn't buy any new clothing to wear on day though!!

Massage later for me which cant come soon enough. Hamstring feels tight.

Safe journey to you all guys!! Good Luck xx

• Options
    /members/images/769619/Gallery/sicknote.JPG

/members/images/769619/Gallery/sick_2.JPG

Couldn't rotate for some reason!

• Options

Oh and by the way I am Blue Start Pen 6 - anyone else?

• Options
    Nickw2 out of interest what did you put as your finish time, I'm in the same pen, but I have no idea what I put- I'm sure it was realistic, but I don't want to in with a set of roadrunners! And I'd move myself back, now I have a much better idea of what I can manage.
  • Options

SickNote 2, was a pleasure to meet you in a public place (  - oops wrong site....lol).you was absolutely beaming as in your pics.

Here are the pen numbers with expected finish times:

Pen    F/T

1        3:00

2        3:15

3        3:30

4        3:45

5        4:00

6        4:15

7        4:30

8        4:45

9        5:00

Behind 9 is 5:15 (run/walk) to 8:00

• Options

WAID, good idea,  it is what I told the two lads who find themselves in pen 2 but I think that will be their halfway time. - they will only impede some serious athletes going for a pb.

You are allowed to demote your start pen but not upgrade as it were.

• Options
    Thank you Harmander, yes I think realistically I need to demote myself, if only by 30mins or so, but id rather do that than the whole racing off with those who are clearly going to finish before me. 5hrs was my goal time, but now I'm about realism!
  • Options

I am surprised I put 4:15 actually - was sure I put 4:30. However I shall stay in that one and wait for the 4:30 pacer to catch me up ha ha - on the day maybe I may step back one

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

WAID - I was pretty sure I put 4:00 as my expected finish time, but can't remember for sure. I know that it was very much finger in the air stuff as I wasn't a regular runner when I applied. I have just dug out the confirmation emails from my ballot entry but it doesn't say what time I put. Anyway not much I can do about it really I don't think, and it doesn't both me much - better to be too far back than too far forward from a psychological point of view - much more fun overtaking people than being overtaken!

• Options

SickNote, - but what if the 5:00 hour pacer catches up with you? you will have to buy him a McDonalds okay?

lol

• Options

Don't jest on that Harmander - that's more than likely to happen. I cant offer you a macdonalds on the way round but I will have a friend handing me donuts image

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

By the way anyone raising money for charity - Betfair are giving you a free £20 bet on yourself. If you win (i.e. beat your target time) the proceeds go to your charity, if not the £20 goes to Cancer Research UK.

https://promotions.betfair.com/backyourself-london-2016

• Options

Pete Froggatt2 we are getting there early - approx. 7.30 as we are bein dropped there. You will know what ones me - I will be the eskimo in 50 layers huddled in the corner! 

• Options

Happy to wait for the 2017 race or better still, everyone is invited to take part in our club's Dawn To Dusk event on Sunday 18 December in Redbridge. Sick Note will get me the McDonald then lol

The Sikhs In The City (SITC) race starts at dawn (08:04) and you do as many laps of a tough 2 km  course as you can until dusk (15:54). The course record is 48 laps (96 km) by one of Britains top ultra runners Nathan Montague.

Louise Simpson (born blind) for whom I a a guide runner has completed over 52 km a couple of times too. 

The highlight of the event is that you get samosas and onion bajees every lap, hot sweet tea/coffee, cakes, sweets, crisps, energy drinks, water and friendly banter all day - oh and an event T-shirt together with a massive medal.

You get a half marathon medal if you complete over 11 laps, a marathon medal if you complete 21 laps and an ultra medal if you do more than 25 laps. It is a recognised race that counts towards the 100 marathon club count.

There is also a 10 m race at 10:00 am for a tenner.

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

There is also a 10 m race at 10:00 am for a tenner.

I like the sound of a 10-metre race, i can probably complete that image

• Options

A thousand times lol

its 10km