Options

VLM 2016 - First timers?

Comments

• Options
    Everyone who's off to the expo have fun! I went on Wednesday evening and it was so exciting! I almost got a bit tearful so imagine what I will be like on Sunday!

I'm in blue start pen 9. Think I predicted 5 hours although adjusting my expectations as I've come down with a slight cough (thankfully not a chesty cough but I was worried for a few days there!).

Also had my first marathon dream last night! Very strange one - I dreamt I'd run the marathon but had some sort of memory blank and couldn't remember any of it!!!!
  • Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Cerian wrote (see)
    Also had my first marathon dream last night! Very strange one - I dreamt I'd run the marathon but had some sort of memory blank and couldn't remember any of it!!!!

I think that's quite normal - whey else would anyone ever do it twice? A bit like having more than 1 child I suppose image

• Options

My wife says I have four kids, but managed over 100 marathons, something not right but I like it this way round (kids/marathon ratio)

Off to the Expo now

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Deferred about 5 minutes ago.  Was leaving it until tomorrow (just in case!!) but I am a terrible dipstick and thought I may forget about it and miss the 8pm deadline image

I have a club member who can't run Southampton Half so I am considering doing that!?  I'm tail runner tomorrow at our park run so will see how it feels after that, did a 4 mile walk yesterday and felt OK.  I knew a while ago that London was out of the question and I want to 'race' it whereas if I do Southampton Half and it niggles me, I'll just drop out without much concern.

It might be an idea to be out of the house when VLM is on as I would only get emotional watching it!  I'm a wuss watching it at the best of time image

Wishing all your first timers so much good luck and positive vibes, I am sure you will all have a fabulous day, the weather forecast looks good.  Please just enjoy yourselves and do not get wound up about times/will I finish/etc etc.  Even if you have to walk half of it, you will do it!!  

Right, I'm heading over to the 2017 thread image

BTW, looking forward to hearing all your reports too - again, they'll make me cry!

• Options
    Ok panic question, does my kit actually have to be in my kitbag - I'm sure I read a tip about putting your stuff in a rucksack and then that into the kitbag, then I've just read the instructions, and although it doesn't say I got the impression that they are clear for a reason ie so they can easily see inside for security I guess, but I was planning on putting my rucksack into my kit bag for ease- I think my other half's anxiety about security threats is getting to me!
  • Options

Sorry to hear that TopSec - that is a shame. image

I have to say WAID we think its for security reasons why they are clear. They used to be red. But I am thinking they want to see whats inside? I will just load my stuff into the clear bag - get more in there without a rucksack too. I was a little concerned about things being stolen from there if seen but I have to get that out of my head

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

WAID - I haven't packed my kitbag yet but figure it should be just as easy using that as a rucksack - I assume that with it being clear you are *meant* to put your stuff in so it can be seen...but have seen people elsewhere wondering how enforceable that will be.

Hoping we are allowed drinks in there and it's not airport level security!

• Options
    Was hoping to use my rucksack for comfort really, I'm travelling up on the morning solo and won't have anyone to offload stuff too, until I'm finished, So I don't fancy carrying a heavy plastic bag with string straps around. Have read the other thread about emptying your rucksack so might just pack everything airport style in clear bags then tip in all out before I chuck it on the lorry. First world problems eh!
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

The kitbag is really not great to lug around before or after the event IMO - it's just the wrong shape!

I have always packed a small rucksack (with clothes and shoes for after the run) and put the folded kitbag in the front pocket. When I'm ready at the start, iput the rucksack in the kitbag.

I'm going to do the sam this year - if they want to open my rucksack to check the contents, they're very welcome image

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

Probably won't post on here over the weekend, just wanted to say a final GOOD LUCK EVERYONE GO SMASH IT!

• Options
    Okv guys last post before London. Sorry to hear about the further deferrals but it'll be worth it next year and definitely the right decision.

To everyone else I might see you there except for Harmander I'll definitely see you!
  • Options
    Sorry forgot to say, good luck everyone!!! LONDON BABY!!! image
  • Options

Good luck everyone - it has been really inspirational reading all your stories!  Hope to be with you next year!

• Options

Hi Georgie, good to meet you!

So everyone how are we feeling?

*getting out calming crystals* 

• Options

Met am9 at the expo today - have a great run everyone - see you on the other side.

Feel free to ask any last minute questions - i will try and make up the answers that sound impressive. lol

• Options
    Harmander Singh 2 wrote (see)

SickNote 2, was a pleasure to meet you in a public place (  - oops wrong site....lol).you was absolutely beaming as in your pics.

Here are the pen numbers with expected finish times:

Pen    F/T

1        3:00

2        3:15

3        3:30

4        3:45

5        4:00

6        4:15

7        4:30

8        4:45

9        5:00

Behind 9 is 5:15 (run/walk) to 8:00

Hi Harmander - picked up my bib from the Expo and have been allocated Pen 8 - want to run with the pacer from Pen 7 for the 4 30 time - do the pacers start at the back of the pen so assuming I can get somewhere near the front should at least be able to see them?

• Options
    Good to meet you Harmander.

Bib pinned, chip attached, bag packed this morning.

Trying to distract myself from all things marathon today. Hoping for slightly warmer than forecast.

See you tomorrow.
  • Options
    Been to the expo. Horribly busy so didn't hang about. Best of luck tomorrow everybody! See you on the other side
  • Options

My displacement activity is going really well!

I have:

done 2 washes;

hung out two sets of washing;

tidied the kitchen;

planned a week's worth of lesson;

put all my marathon kit out;

put it all back in a bag;

looked at the spectators' map;

folded it away again;

charged all my watches and gizmos;

set up a whatsapp group for my supporters;

and looked up and read numerous articles about the marathon online.

Luckily I don't have to worry about anything else at the moment.. image

• Options

Andy51,

Yes, pacers start at the back of the pen so if you get to the front of your pen you will be right  behind the pacer in pen 7.

Good luck everyone - trying to sort out 'er indoors car insurance - and I don't even drive. Some distraction eh?

Managed to adjust the straps to what I think is 'just right; on the back pack for the pacer flag and tested it at Parkrun this morning - did 29:05 when I was meant to do 30:00. So punished myself by doing the two lapped course again in 29:47 before running home the two miles I had run to get there in the first place - 10,2 miles in 1:07:57 - that is 4:38 pace for the marathon - enough time to pop into McDonalds during the run? just kidding.Settling down to watch the semi final now.

• Options
    PS Blythe. If you like me are in red pen 9. I'm 6 foot tall, dark hair in a head band, glasses, wearing my a disposable fleece which is grey and says 'old navy' on it. Or a bin bag. Or a British Heart Foundation vest with 'Ruth' on it. Say hello!
  • Options
    DB7XDB7X ✭✭✭
    I woke up with a cold this morning; hurts to swallow, swollen glands, headache. Having some shocking luck at the moment. But, screw it, have picked up my number (blue, pen 4) and am gonna try and push that and the injuries aside and give it my best. Sorry to hear of the deferrals over the last few days and sending positive thoughts out to all for tomorrow. You're all amazing.
  • Options
    Take some paracetamol and get a good nights rest DB7X. that Vicks first defence is supposed to be good if you take it when you feel a cold coming on. My mum swears by it. Hope you feel better in the morning and take it easy.
  • Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Lemsip and a Cadbury's creme egg - never fails DB7X !!

GOOD LUCK everyone. Most of all, don't forget to enjoy it image
  • Options
    One of my friends swears by a pot noodle.....
  • Options
    Good luck and Godspeed to everyone. See you on the other side. Thanks for all the advice and entertainment, congrats and thanks to Blythe for setting up a great thread!
  • Options
    Lass I'll see you there!! I'm Maz in a green Macmillan vest.

Well done everyone; I'm so grateful to each of you for the camaderie on our amazing journey together. To those who have had to defer I read about 3000 runners have to every year enjoy the next one.

Here we come London image