Options

P&D spring marathon 2016

Comments

• Options

Judging by your greeting, I'm not sure if you've fallen into the same trap as me, with respect to tricialitt's forum name there 15W.  I still laugh at myself for thinking she was Tri from a previous thread image.   Welcome to her anyway.

Ramjet... what's with this 'dancing round the puddles'?  Did you not want to get your feet wet?!

• Options

McF - not sure how much you know about the course but if you don't already know the path at the start is reasonably wide but it gets very narrow very quickly so you should definitely position yourself near the front if you don't want to get boxed in. The route also doubles back on itself in places and overtaking can get a bit tricky. Obviously I'm looking at this from a much slower perspective than you will be racing at so you may not have so much difficulty at the front of the pack. There is also a lovely downhill stretch at the start so you may want to factor that in when deciding your pacing strategy! Sorry if you already know all this!image 

• Options

On the LT runs, what pace do people run the non LT bits, 9 with 4 @ LT would you do 2-3 either side at GA pace?

• Options

I didn't move far either AWC, from one side of Ocean Village to the otherimage Glad to hear it went well!

Plenty of good racing at the weekend, well done to Macca, Westy, SK, MCF , Ramjet and NE, in far from ideal conditions image

I don't worry about the pace either side that much Andrew, just run at a pace that isn't too strenuous but certainly fast enough before the LT part to get a decent warm up

11.5 miles this evening, most of which was with the club. 7:21 pace, not too bad after yesterday's race

• Options

Thanks acp.  V helpful!

• Options

yup- lots of folk on here assume I'm a triathlete- I'm not! (well, aside from a single attempt 15 years ago). The fling is hilly indeed, and part of it is essentially scrambling- 20 minute miiles are par for the course along the worst bit of the lochside path.

• Options
    Today was meant to be my rest / start of programme. I guess I'm doomed already then as I did a 3 miler. May not sound much but returning from injury it feels so good to get out there. A bit like Tom, I'm going to gradually get back into it and drop the 18w for a graduated 12w plan.

Some great running going on with the PBs in Dec!

Welcome to Tricia.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning.

Andrew - what Scott says. I guess I usually run the miles before the LT miles at GA pace, and the miles after at a very easy recovery pace. Not sure it matters, it's the LT part that's important.

0 mi for me again today. Got some DOMS going on actually.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I will call Tri Tricia from now on to avoid any confusion!

• Options

Agree with what the others have said - not too fussed about the pace either side, and the cool down miles are definitely much slower for me.

10 miles this morning with 4 @ LT which came out at an average of 6.30 - not too bad. Legs are definitely feeling increasingly heavier than normal on the back of the bigger mileage.

Welcome to the new guys and a decent midweek 12 Scott.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I have a 10 miler sunday. How is it best to pace? Like a long 10k or a short half marathon, or a pace bang in the middle of the two?

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

It's a 10mi race? Yes, pace should be inbetween...maybe a bit closer to half pace than 10k pace.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

OK, 10k pace is about 6.20 and half pace about 6.38, so perhaps set off at 6.30 pace and see what happens then.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Sounds like a plan.

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭

Good luck DT with the 10 miler

Scott - nice midweek MLR

11 miles MLR this morning in the rain - horrible big puddles everywhere! My legs still feel really tired from the house move.

27 miles so far this week but off to Switzerland to watch the football tomorrow morning and back Friday afternoon so no running until Saturday, but I think my legs really need (deserve!) the rest after moving house. Should get close to 50 miles by the end of the week, so 4 miles short of the P&D planned mileage but I'll be happy with that.

• Options

Hope the return from injury goes well Hush.

I am glad I decided to run after work and not this morning AWC. Was absolutely hammering it down, good to get the MLR done early doors though. What football are you watching?

Just an easy 5 miler this evening image

• Options

AWC, enjoy the football.

DT, I've also got a 10 mile race on Sunday, McMillan says 7:45mm pace but I'll see how the LT run goes tonight, I'm not as fit as I was when I did a 1:43 HM back in March.

5 miles easy last night, 

• Options

Afternoon folks - some familiar faces on here.  

Just started P&D 55 with the 9 with 4 at threshold last night.  I've not raced recently, nor done any fast training so I wasn't sure what to expect.  The quick bit came out averaging about 6:55, which is quite a bit slower than I was doing similar sessions in the summer, but seems about right for now.

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Scott: I'm off to Switzerland to watch Liverpool in the Europa League - it's barely above freezing but it'll be 3 days of hard drinking inside. Not sure how to pace myself as the other lads are 15stone plus heavy drinkers and I always end up a mess with them!

Re morning runs - in order to fit the 55-70 plan in I'm doing all runs in the morning apart from LT and MP runs and I think that was a good choice as this morning felt very tough although heart rate was well below where it should be for MLR.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Sounds scary AWC. I used to drink shit loads, but now I'm a bit scared of heavy drinking.

Working from home today. No running. Eating lots. EOM.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Hello and good luck Lou!

Thanks Tom, brixton and Westy!

It was tough Westy - that hill in the middle was steeper than I remembered. The slog through the park in the last mile seems to go on forever as well. I've got a bit of DOMS today but not too bad.

NorthEnder - some of the puddles were the size of a garden pond and too dirty to see the bottom. I didn't have my costume on!

Just 5 miles recovery today. Legs not as bad as expected.

Got 38 mins @LT to look forward to on Thurs. Anyone managed to complete this session? These HM plans sure have a lot of LT work but it seems to be paying off.

• Options

Lots of threshold runs going on. Well done guys. I always wondered why the plans started with such a damn hard session image

MLR for me today. Still base building image

Good to see you back on here, Trish image  I dappled with FIRST too. It was horrible.

AWC: oh dear image  hope you and your liver survive ...

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Stewart- which 10 miler is it?

Awc- it'll take you a few days to recover from that as well, unless your a twentysomething. Sounds fun though.

Ramjet, the half schedule I followed in the summer peaked with six miles at lt. I think it's a pretty key training pace for halfs.

Anyway, 9.5 with 6 @ mp today. First 3 straight into a strong headwind, 4th cutting back up with x wind and last two wind assisted. Came out 6.52 average which I was pleased with as hr was right at bottom of mp hr. When I peaked from last schedule in September that exact run at that hr was coming in about 7.03 average so pleasing progress from then.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tric, I am following first plan. What didn't you like? I really enjoy it, though you have to plan your runs around drinking nights as they are tough with a hangover!!!
  • Options

You will have to drink a lot to get yourself through watching Liverpool AWCimage So good luck!

Very easy 5 mile recovery this evening. Going to have a park run tear up this Saturday, judging by the 5 mile time at the weekend I have a decent chance of a pb

Good progression there DT19 and still pretty early on in the schedule

• Options

DT19- The probem with the FIRST plan was that every session was faster than comfortable- the speed intervals were almost fatal ( I suspect I haven't a single fast twich fibre anywhere in my legs!). You never got to just go out for a nice relaxing run, and just use it as time to relax and mull over your thoughts.

I run mainly to get away from it all, to be honest, so a good few hours a week just going for a gentle bimble is important to my sanity!

Oddly enough, it seemed to work, so as a means to an end, it was OK, I just didn't enjoy the actual running much.

• Options

Ramjet, 38 minutes will be about 5 miles for me so I'll let you know if a few weeks, but from memory it is not fun!

DT, Lossiemouth Turkey Trot, well done with the MP run, you must be happy with the improvement,

Scott well done with the easy 5 what are you gunning for at parkrun

Tricia, I am amazed at the distances you can cover, a marathon is far enough for me.

---------------

Just over 8 miles with 4 @ LT this evening, the LT bit averaged just under 8's which is pretty much where I was at the start of the last campaign, I'm not too sure what to expect on Sunday but I'll try and go out around 8's and assess after a few miles.

• Options

9 with 5 @ LT done.  When I followed this plan last time (and just generally) it was the mid-week long runs I disliked the most; they just bored me.  However. this time round I've grown to quite like them; I will happy pold round with a podcast or two on for mile after mile! 

Its these targetted miles that previously I enjoyed that are causing me the bother!  I used to see them as fun.  Now they are just bl00dy hard work!  I was just about where I wanted to be though faded at the end with 6:23,27,34,37,36.  I was aiming for 6:30's and had I been a bit slower on the first one I might have made it.

My biggest challenge still remains 'rest days'.  I seem incapable of sitting on the sofa watching TV.  I'm constantly in the kitchen grazing my way through the cupboards.  I dread to think how many calories I ate last night; it wasn't pretty...

• Options

Well done everyone starting week 1 with your LTs.   I cheated a bit. I did some extra before and after my park run on saturday, so counted that one.  9.8miles GA for me tonight.  We're off!

• Options

Some great starts to the programme being posted here! Very motivational.  Cant wait to get going on Dec 21st!