Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options
    Beders - I hadn't mentioned the flag yet this year as I'm not planning on running with it this year. It took a completely phenomenal fluke that Woony and Donna saw the flag at the meeting point and we ended up running together for the next mile or so before I shot off.

I was thinking of taking the flag so people can see me at the start then popping it in my race bag and getting it out again at the end of the race so folk can spot me and meet up for a post-race chat. I'm only planning on staying at the church for a relatively short time this year as I want to try and get a decent spot in the pen. They were packed by the time we got in last year. I remember we only had a minute or two before the gun went off.

I'll post a meeting point recap with the map and post race meeting details over the weekend. Sarah's "X, Y, Z" is a good idea for meeting.

ABout 8-10 slow miles for me tomorrow before I head to London on Sunday for a weeks holiday culminating with the the marathon a week on Sunday. But don't worry I'll be online there's no escape from my posting.

Ripped Dap & Mel 3 - Just thought I'd say "Hi". Glad you've came on board, it's never too late.

PPB.
  • Options
    I'm a bit confused here.. If you get to the 'pen' early, do you get to go to the front or the back?! (Sorry if that's a dumb question). I hate rushing last minute for anything, I'd be aiming to get there as early as possible!
  • Options
    ...also how far away are the toilets from the starting pens (or am i wasting my time thinking i'll get to use one?)
  • Options
    Feeling so lazy today. Don't want to do that 3 miles brisk, and massive desire to eat a pizza and put feet up? But I think there's probably such a thing as over-tapering. I think the laziness stems from fact that the hard raining done and anything else seems pointless. That and the fact its one of those days where I know running will be a chore and not a pleasure. Anyone else being lazy today?

MsFit - snow here too, plus hail, wind, and sun. Not like PPB/sarah have it though, that sounds like real weather?

I'm interested in meeting up before or after, both if lucky. As for running I guess I'd probably slow a few people down on here as probably starting at over 8.30 pace. Will certainly say Hi when I recognise people. What do people think of the idea of a list showing what people are wearing on the day? By this I mean identifying marks on running tops (I know what you were all thinking, keep it clean). If you like the idea add your details, if not ignore me.

Prohibition-Euphoria (Danny) - White mizuno top, blue hoops on sleeves. 'RUNNING FOR VIS' wriiten on back. DANNY written on front.

Hello to all new contributors.
  • Options
    Running for Viz :))) Why didn't I think of that. Wonder if they'll have any gold bond places in 2006!
  • Options
    Ok here goes..

Prohibition-Euphoria (Danny) - White mizuno top, blue hoops on sleeves. 'RUNNING FOR VIS' wriiten on back. DANNY written on front.

Tallguy (Steve) - Red "CRY" vest, "Steve" on front. "Tallguy" on back. 6'3", balding, goatie!
  • Options
    Blue Start
    1204 - Colin - 8m - 3.28.54
    2490 - Woj - First 'road marathon'
    6175 - Drunken-Euphoria - First Timer
    7791 - Ping Pong Boy - 3m 3:49:05
    8494 - BD - 2m - 3.56.ish
    9801 - Ross - 2m - 3:48:21
    15476 - Jolly - First Timer
    17366 - Beders 4m - 3.57.02
    17803 - Cathy Burke 4m - 3.59
    19908 - Booner - 1m - 3:50:47
    24306 - Moggie - First Timer
    25101 - JFH 1m 3.54

Red Start
    35125 - Simon Knighton - First timer
    35948 - Tallguy - First Timer
    36300 - Mightos 4m - 3.50.15
    37567 - StephenV - First timer
    43965 - Ianto (Ian) - 3m 3:53:10
    44924 - MsFit - First Timer
    47725 - One-go - First Timer
    50867 - Pete26.2 - First timer
    51560 - Minks - Second timer
    37something-Woony-5th timer-PB 3:39:47

Green Start
    32903 - Valuxian - 4m - 3:53:11
    29830 - LJS - 4 m - 3.38

Expo Meet on Friday Lunchtime
    Ping Pong Boy
    Tallguy (Steve)
    StephenV
    Ms Fit
    woj [possibly]
    Send to friend Print Message

Ianto

The meeting points near the end of the alphabet tend to be quieter although its further to walk to on tired legs.
  • Options
    Morning!
    Weather's starting to look more promising - started getting extremely concerned when there were (albeit small) flakes of snow falling from the sky in London yesterday afternoon.

Euph, I'm struggling like you, have been doing no running because of my knee and spent the last week over eating - now feeling the effects of it! Have woken up today and my knee (thanks to volterol and tubigrip i suspect - down to you JFH!) is back to normal size and no pain. Thought i'd be dying to get out for a run, but having to force myself even though I know i only have to do an hour, max. Can't wait for next sunday as this is worse than having a long run having over you.

Think the idea of clothes/distinguishing features is good and will post as soon as i've made my mind up what i'm wearing. Got my charity vest yesterday so am going to take it out for a jog this morning.
  • Options
    tallguy and MsFit you can stand where you like in the pens although normally the paceing group stand at the back. I tend to go to the front , gives me a false sense of getting off quicker although in reality it makes no difference as you've got a timing chip. In respect of the loo's, they're normally about 400 yards away in a long line just remember to go veeeeery early otherwise you'll be spending a couple of hours before the race crossing your legs.

going for my last long run tomorrow, isn't it funny how we think a 10-12 mile long run is really short, we wouldn't have thought that before starting the marathon training. Hope the weather warms up a bit, don't want it too hot but not 1 C and blowing a gale like it is at the moment.

My lawnmower injury seems to be better, must remember not to mow the lawn after a hard run in future.

not sure what I'm wearing as it depends on the weather on the day, but will be wearing a white/light blue epilepsy action vest with pete on the front and beders on the back and either blue shorts or a blue tracky bottom.

have a good weekend everyone
    cheers

beders
  • Options
    If it helps MsFit, after much procrastinating (sp?) I did run yesterday. Boy was it cold but once into the brisk stuff I was moving along quite well under 8-min miles and felt I could have gone further or faster (not both). Legs a bit jaded today but I'm having the weekend off so not going to think of running again till monday. If weather is terrible on the 17th the clothing feature may well be useless as we'll probably all be covered up anyway. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

After reading of all the exotic destinations people seem to be travelling to (portugal, switzeralnd, washington Dc) I'm having a bit of time away myself. Blackpool...has it all, sun, sea, sand, and probably Strong cold winds.

Have a restful weekend all. Remember the power of the Taper!
  • Options
    MsFit - delighted to hear about your knee - DO NOT overdo it now and make it worse again!
    Am planning just to do a flat 5 miles tomorrow as I don't want to tempt fate with my knee. It does seem strange, as I used to think it was barely worth putting my running shoes on for 5 miles! I'm one of these strange people who loves running and will happily plod out the miles even when there's no marathon on the horizon!
    Having said that... I've entered Cardiff again in October - can thoroughly recommend it as a fast, flat and relatively quiet race - there's also a half if you don't fancy the full.
    Would love to be able to spot some of you at the start - I'll be wearing a mainly white Erme Valley Harriers club vest and black shorts and will be running with my training partner who will be wearing the same!!
    Jane (as we seem to be getting more familiar!)
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. Went out for a slow hour this morning and purposefully ran off road so I had no idea how far was going! Knee seems ok but going to keep up with the tubigrip (when not running) and anti inflamatories! JFH - thank you and make sure you stick to "only" 5 miles tomorrow too!

Good luck to those doing 10k races tomorrow, TallGuy, Woony, ... but take it easy

Can't believe we're almost there - 8 days to go!!!
  • Options
    JFH interested to know where you plan to run a flat 5 around Erme Valley running territory.I will look out for you at the marathon because I was a member of Erme Valley before moving to the Isle of Wight.
  • Options
    So as to keep a good idea going:

Tallguy (Steve) - Red "CRY" vest, "Steve" on front. "Tallguy" on back. 6'3", balding, goatie!

Woony (Jayson)- Red Start- Lime Green and Purple Asthma UK vest with Black Shorts-Long hair by my standardss due to a finish time bet with work collegues,winner getting to shave my head however they see fit,all for a good cause?

Tallguy, hope to bump into you 2moro,will be wearing Same Asthma vest as mentioned above.

Msfit, cheers I will take it easy, as long as I go sub 48 I'll be happy.

Woony
  • Options
    Woony.. You should stand out pretty well in a lime green and purple vest. I'll probably be wearing a white New Balance l/s shirt - especially is there's a nip in the air like today. Either way, I'll be somewhere near the back at the start - I like to start slow and overtake a few people rather then sprint off at the start only to be overtaken by everybody! I'll also be there pretty early as I have to pick up my number - See you tomorrow!

MsFit..Glad to hear your knee has sorted itself out - how are you getting up to London next Sunday?

Euph.. Have fun in Blackpool!
  • Options
    Just been out to test the left thigh and its got noticeably worse, now hurting to run, but not affecting my stride. Still managed 5 miles includiing a few 400m intervals. I really want my body to tell me what is going on. Am I injured or not?

This has persisted for 2 weeks now and despite being told by assorted physios that it is bio-mechanical due tomy left leg heel raise, think it is more serious than that. Any way I shall be there on the starting line come what may. It's just a tedious distraction which I could do without. Apologies for banging on about it again! It's at timeslike this that I wish I had a fast healing 20 year old body rather than my creaking 44 year old frame.

Today started somwhat bizarrely with me being the subject of a photo shoot for next Sunday's (17/4) Mail on Sunday paper. They are doing an article on charitable giving and tax and the journalist is afriend. So there I was at 9am bounding over Clapham Common trying to look athletic and moody. I had my charity vest on so it will be good publicity for The Children's Trust.

Right time for more ice and pills. Stay healthy everyone.

Stephen

• Options
    Hi jenx
    I'm sure you must know a lot of the people who've ben giving me and my running partner such great support at Erme Valley. We got our places through the club. Planning to just run along the road from Ivybridge to Ermington and back which is just about scraping 5 and the only flatish bit of road in these parts, as you will know! London will be a joy!
  • Options
    Barrie Symonds and Jon Lake are also running from Erme Valley - but rather faster than me!
  • Options
    Hi JFH sorry for the late reply just had to attend a stag afternoon but it was runner friendly 10 pin bowling.
    I used to run with Steve Watson and Dave Fox managed to see a couple of old faces at the Plymouth Hoe 10 in February. I have good memories of some the hilly routes around Ivybridge and Cornwood, will try and come along to the tuesday night session when next in the Plymouth area. All the best for London I will be wearing my Ryde Harriers Vest but with a bib for Breast cancer care on top. oggie! oggie! oggie!
  • Options
    Did I possibly meet you at the end of the Hoe 10? I was introduced to someone by Dave Fox at the finish and had run the race with Steve Watson (which was brilliant as it enabled me to do it in 78 mins which I didn't think possible on the Hoe!) but I wasn't really concentrating.
    Look forward to hopefully meeting you at FLM - if I see anyone I'll say Hi but I think Tues. next week is a Dave Fox special so I'm avoiding it!
  • Options
    Yes I think we did meet JFH, It was a very cold day at Plymouth, London here we come!!
  • Options
    I know I'm forever trying to give advice on the thread but I'm looking for some myself. My knee has got progressively worse all week such that I'm limping when I walk around now. So I've deiced not to run at all this weekend.

Do you think it will make much of a difference if I sit out a whole week of running ahead of race day?

I'll plough through the thread and try and put on a summary message late tonight with clothing, numbers and pre and post race meeting details.

I'll be wearing a bright orange shirt with black shorts with "Martin" on the front and "Ping Pong Boy" on the back. So if you come by me when I'm suffering after I set off too quick I expect a Hello!

Cheers

PPB.
  • Options
    PPB for what it's worth my advice is don't run. it won't make any difference to your race but will give your leg time to get a bit better. You know the score - RICE and lots of it! I didn't run for 2 weeks and still managed a 24 mile training run at the end of it in 3.30. (I ached a bit afterwards mind you!) Be circumspect - no running you do now is for your legs, it's all for your head, and you know you'll be fine.
  • Options
    PPB, I would definatly REST REST N REST. You know you cant lose any fitness now mate.If I was you I would rest up from running totally until Fri, do a little 30min run,a good stetch session & maybe a not too deep massage.Then Rest those pins allday Sat B4 I drag you round the course in 3:38 on Sunday..............Maybe forget the last bit???

Trying to give you a hand below:

Woony (Jayson)- Red Start- Lime Green and Purple Asthma UK vest with Black Shorts-Long hair by my standardss due to a finish time bet with work collegues,winner getting to shave my head however they see fit,all for a good cause?

PPB-I'll be wearing a bright orange shirt with black shorts with "Martin" on the front and "Ping Pong Boy" on the back. So if you come by me when I'm suffering after I set off too quick I expect a Hello
  • Options
    MMMMMMMMMMMM????????

Just been on the Darent Valley 10k Thread (the run I was gona do 2moro)and it looks like it could be full. I know Entering on the Day is a bit Chancy but I normally get away with it!!!

Tallguy: Might not see you after all.Gona drive down anyhow its only 30mins away.

Bugger!Does anyone know if that little run in Paris 2moro is E.O.D??? Might be able to make it there if I S#@t out at 08:30 2moro in Kent:-}

Woony
  • Options
    Ahhh? All may not be lost, there is apparently a few places left for those who get there early. If not theres a 5 miler in Basildon at 10 that sounds real fast.

Mmm? Its sat night and Im sat at home on the PC without a beer in sight?????????? Either Im a Geek or theres a Big run coming up soon????

Woony
  • Options
    You're a geek! I'm procrastinating as I'm driving to London tomorrow and can't be bothered packing at the moment. Woony & JFH cheers for the advice.

PPB.
  • Options
    PPB. I know they say allow a Day for every hour time diference when running a Marathon abroad.But coming down to London a week in advance from Bonnie Scotland is goin a little too far dont you think??? Just toying, Im bored!
    Where are you Staying? I might be out on the pop Monday around Whitechapel/City area.If you fancy a wee dram!
    Take it easy.

Woony
  • Options
    Cheers for the offer Woony. My family live in Croydon so I'm miles from you. I think I'm going for a cycle on Monday to stretch off my driving legs so won't be up in town until Tuesday at the earliest. When are you registering? Some of us are planning a get together on Friday lunchtime meeting at 12.45pm at RW stand at the Expo then heaving a pasta lunch and discussing injuries for a while!

That's me off, 550 miles to go.....then the extra 26.2 seven days from now.

PPB.
  • Options
    Hi All not been on the thread for a while. Been resting the last three days so as not ot aggravate the achilles. Just done a flat six miles in 64 minutes, so everything seems OK. Shall rest now till Wednesday, when I do four and then probably two on Saturday. PPB there's certainly no harm in resting all week.

That lime green vest is certainly very visible - I have a mate also running for asthma and I spotted her a mile off last week at Paddock Wood.

I'll be wearing my club vest - red, blue and white, very patriotic - Wadhurst Runners with Cathy on the front