Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options
    Hi all,

PPB,glad to hear that long jorney is over n done with 4 a while. I've narrowed down the Excel centre to Thru of Fri now as both Wed and Sat involve Doggie stuff.So may yet c u (et all) on Fri.

Tallguy, Im sure you would of got a PB on the 5miler I did mate.Super flat, Just dull and uninspiring, with not too good organisation:-(If I need a last group run /race b4 next years FLM then I'll book early for the Darent Valley.

Mifit, fear not I have every intention of setting out at 08:30m/m or slower now. Do you like the new piccie, my Boy wanted to shine on his own for a while.

Tapertime

Woony
  • Options
    hi all, haven't started dreaming about it yet, although have to admit I've been running through past ones in my mind as I'm lying in bed waiting for the sandman to come. Keep thinking to myself 'even it i blow up and it hurts real bad, i know i can keep going and not stop' and then I feel more positive and thenk ' yeah it'll be great, i'll fly through under 3.45' I think the reality will be somewhere between the 2.

I'm a bit like Minks in that until I know if I'm getting a charity top I'm not sure what I'll be wearing on the day, roller blades perhaps !!

went for an easy half hour at lunchtime then had a very painful sports massage this evening, he said he would be very easy as i was running on sunday, hate to think how much he'd have hurt me otherwise.

Hope the knees getting better PPB, see ya all soon

beders
  • Options
    Hi everyone - this is a really busy thread these days! Hope to see some of you at some point. My entry at the bottom of the list:

Prohibition-Euphoria (Danny) - White mizuno top, blue hoops on sleeves. 'RUNNING FOR VIS' wriiten on back. DANNY written on front.

Tallguy (Steve) - Red "CRY" vest, "Steve" on front. "Tallguy" on back. 6'3", balding, goatie!

Woony (Jayson)- Red Start- Lime Green and Purple Asthma UK vest with Black Shorts-Long hair by my standardss due to a finish time bet with work collegues,winner getting to shave my head however they see fit,all for a good cause?

PPB-I'll be wearing a bright orange shirt with black shorts with "Martin" on the front and "Ping Pong Boy" on the back. So if you come by me when I'm suffering after I set off too quick I expect a Hello

Cathy Burke-I'll be wearing my club vest - red, blue and white, very patriotic - Wadhurst Runners with Cathy on the front

JFH - black shorts, club vest - mainly white, Erme Valley Harriers on the front - plus matching friend

MsFit (Vickie) – White/bright green “Samaritans” vest that says “Am I running fast enough?” on the back. Running in a beige baseball cap

Mightos -Red Start - I'll be wearing a purple charity vest (chest, heart and stroke Scotland) with Linda on the front and Mightos Bella on the back - in glitter!!

Simon Knighton - Red Start I'll be wearing a Heart Runners red top with SIMON on the front and black New Balance shorts

Colin - Southport Waterloo AC vest (royal blue with yellow chest band)

Steve Jolly - Blue start, lilac 'Dreams Come True' tee shirt with purple balloons on it (nice!!) - Steve on front and JOLLY on back - good luck everyone.

Moggie (Anne) - light blue & black "Aldridge Running Club" Vest - Anne on the front if I remember, with very suntanned limbs courtesy of Tenerife. Plus a Garmin brick strapped to my wrist

Ross (Ross) - Macmillan green vest with name on the front and back, blue shorts. Garmin brick also on wrist, and red Nathan bag

Booner - Blue Start - Green and black vest for the Eating Disorders Association (www.teamperry.co.uk) with the words "Booner" on the front and back. Blue Nike shorts. If you see me, give me a shout!
  • Options
    As Danny says: "Remember the power of the Taper!" Wise, wise words
  • Options
    Ross - too much negative talk in that article for me! I can think of 100 reasons why you SHOULD run a marathon!

The main one being the feeling of satisfaction when you enter the final straight!
  • Options
    Thanks Booner - that's the bit i'm really looking forward to!
  • Options
    Don't like articles like that so 'rant' follows. Note how that article doesn't tell you about the author. Is he a runner? If not then his opinions are not really valid to start with as he has no experiance. If he has run a marathon and hated it so then why not let people make their own minds up. Afterall quite large numbers return to run London (or other marathons more than once) so as well as the haters their must be planety of marathon lovers. As for the sex appeal comments, how big an issue is this? I've certainly heard how those really fast long distance runners are often described as skeletal or emaciated (sp?) but I don't suppose they care. In a survival situation they'd last longer than the musclemen who can't run for more than 5 minutes and all the muscles in the world won't help you against an armed attacker. Could also add that only the elite few in the FLM will have 'little upper body musculature'. The other 30,000 will be all shapes and sizes.

Back later, work calling.
  • Options
    Really getting excited now - I think this tapering is as mentally challenging as anything!!

Cross training is all very well but I just want to run, although spending a lot of time stretching (going to a pilates class tomorrow at the gym!!)

Going to expo tomorrow pm on way home from work to register and visit charity stand - only running for me left is probably light jog day b4.

Will be happy to meet anyone whos at the blue start (if i can find the church),

Best of luck everyone,
    Steve.
  • Options
    Hi All

Just catching up with all the posts from the last few days. Marathon fever is really kicking in and I'm looking forward to it. PPB has beaten me and already arrived in London - I will be there on Thursday evening.

PPB, I would rest your knee from running. However, there's no harm in cycling, swimming and using an elyptical trainer (if you can find one), just to keep you ticking over. Nothing to be lost on this last week anyway, as well you know.

I will be watching for you all at mile 11, so if anyone wishes me to get gels / refreshments / drinks / bananas / jelly babies (or anything else), which they would like to collect from me at mile 11 (The Robin Hood Pub, Rotherhithe) then I will happy to get them and hand them out to you here. If you do ask me to get anything, REMEMBER to run on the RIGHT HAND SIDE here (as you approach miles 11) so I can get to you, because I don't know what you all look like (only Beders and PPB). There is usually a band playing here, so you will hear it as you approach.

As for me, I have been given the go-ahead from the physio to run 3 x 4K at 65% of my normal training speed this week, which can increase to 5K next week. I am heading in the right direction and keeping up my cycling and swimming in the meantime. This has put me on schedule (all being well) to start my marathon training for Berlin mid June.

I think I'm just starting to come down with a cold, which I ALWAYS get the week before the marathon and usually panic. Although I'm not running on Sunday, I could really do without it when I am trying to get back to some degree of normality with my running. Oh well, not to worry, c'est la vie!

Feet up everyone and take it nice and easy!

Cheers
    Sarah :0)
  • Options
    Great news that all is progressing well for your return to running (albeit a bit slower than you'd probably like!) There's so many of us on here now that you'll have your work cut out trying to pick us out, so maybe you should tell us what you'll be wearing!

• Options
    Hi Sarah

Good to hear your recovery is going well. I'm sure you'l be stronger when you get back to full fitness and well prepared for Berlin - when is it? I'm just back from the Excel, working on another exhibition this week just across the Hall from the FLM expo. Its already buzzing with loads of people in FLM T-shirts. I'm getting really excited and will be completely over-emotional by the time I get to the start line.
    Keep going over my race plan in my head. A steady first ten miles, followed by a slighty quicker second ten and finishing with a strong 10K, but that will probably go out the window when my legs are screaming at me at twenty miles and I'll just be happy to finish.

Mightos and PPB. It's not me doing Edinburgh, though my husband is doing Blackpool in June. I need lots of time to recover between marathons but have commited to doing Loch Ness in October. I also hate running in the sun so tend to run over shorter distances in the summr months, even looking at doing some track competition this year.
  • Options
    I can really associate with anyone who is finding work a trial this week. Started at 9 today and only member of my department in office until thursday. Luckily its not busy as mind is not on the job today. Feeling lousy, sore knee (left rather than right for a change), bad stomach and tight trousers?

Haven't really put on much weight but it seems to have relocated recently. My shirt looks a size too big and my trousers feel tighter than an italian waiters. Just noticed today really as wearing what always have been a more fitting pair of trousers, but they were never this bad. I guess the muscle has moved to where its more needed.

Just 8.5 miles yesterday, at a nice marathon pace till last 2.5 miles where I sensibly slowed down. Running has become stale over last few weeks as the anticipation for marathon makes them mid-to-short distance runs seem pointless. The marathon will pick me up again and after the buzz of this has faded I'm going to try and avoid all my marathon training routes for a few months at least and add some of the variety (surface, location) I was scared to use in marathon prep due to injury potential.

Lots of runners on the road in my area yesterday, is this the fair-weather runners getting back in training or is it marathon-fever!

Good luck with the 4K's Sarah. Following the marathon you will probably be running further than most of us till June at least.

lata.
  • Options
    Me again. Don't want to scare anyone by mentioning weather but forecast looks good at moment, possibly sunny, low chance of rain and not too hot :)
  • Options
    Sarah.. Good to hear the recovery is going well. How will we recognize you at Mile 11? You might want to add your details to the ever growing description list!

Euph.. Yep, finding work v.hard to focus on this week. I just want to wrap myself in cotton wool and avoid everyone. I'm so paranoid about being near anyone with coughs and colds, glad I've taken Friday off.

Just a very slow 5.5 miles for me today. First time I've run anything at over 9:30 pace for a long while, felt quite unnatural.
  • Options
    apologies but time for another 'back to basics' post !

For the benefit of first timers can someone please confirm what sort of changing facilities there are at the end of the race. I am meant to be attending various post race functions and will need to change and try not to create a health hazard for anyone in my immediate vicinity.

In the absence of a shower, I was planning on using some baby wipes. So I assume there is a male changing tent?

Stephen
  • Options
    Hello all,

I haven't got the time to read all the posts on this thread, however hope that all of you are preparing well for the big day.

I was a regular when this thread started but unfortunately due to the nature of my work don't get the time to write!!

I am now in Iraq(still!!!!) but only have 1 more month to push!!

Next month when I am in the land of 'normality', I plan to start training properly for the GNR which I have been successful in and hopefully the Loch Ness marathon.

My next place or work is Northern Ireland - at least there the weather is a little better if not wetter!!!

Again, Alex, Higs & all, good luck to you! And enjoy it - I'll be thinking of you all,

Gareth
  • Options
    hi all, just managed to do the cut n paste for the second time, it's a great thread this, advice on running AND computers. ( see my comment further down)

Unfortunately ( or fortunately perhaps) I'm too busy at work to get naffed off, and down in Lincoln next 2 days decorating so busy again. Not exactly proper tapering but i suppose I'm too busy to worry about sunday.

It was such a lovely day I couldn't resist going up through Blue Bell woods , trying not to push too hard, although I couldn't help going for it in places as it felt too good not too. The sun was shining, the bluebells were out and I was feeling full of energy, what a great run, especially bombing back downhill again. Probably won't be able to fit another run in, maybe a short jog friday, so I'm sure it won't have tired me out too much.

Glad to hear you're back out there Sarah, remember 4k this week, 5k next week at 65%, not 14k and 15k at 110% !!. Might be an idea to post your FLM spectating gear on the list so the rest of the gang can see you, perhaps a big banner ' Hi I'm Sarah ' , or 'go go 3.45 gang' would be good.

Hi again Mine's a Smooth , hope Iraq's not too hot and nasty for you, maybe see you at the GNR.

I think having your nickname on the back will be a damm good idea especially for us slower ones will propably be overtaken, as PPB said don't forget to say hello on the way past

damm when i tried to submit this it told me it was too much so will have to cut and paste again

keep thinking positive thoughts

seeya soon

beders
  • Options
    Mightos/PPB - I just wondered where you would pick up your training following FLM to be in shape for the Edinburgh Marathon. Last time I did both I just put 3 or 4 long runs into my usual weekly routine to bring up my mileage and it seemed to work ok but have you got any ideas/plans?

I am also feeling nervous/excited about FLM and can't concentrate on anyone's conversation as my mind is constantly planning every aspect of the weekend to come - strategy for run, what to eat, when to get up, when to leave and even when and if I will be able to go to the loo!
  • Options
    hopefully will let me paste this time

Beders (pete) White Epilepsy Action vest with red and blue stripes down the side. 'PETE' on the front and 'BEDERS' on the back, 5ft 6ins chubby late 40's guy (although still got all my own hair just the rest of me looks old))

Prohibition-Euphoria (Danny) - White mizuno top, blue hoops on sleeves. 'RUNNING FOR VIS' wriiten on back. DANNY written on front.

Tallguy (Steve) - Red "CRY" vest, "Steve" on front. "Tallguy" on back. 6'3", balding, goatie!

Woony (Jayson)- Red Start- Lime Green and Purple Asthma UK vest with Black Shorts-Long hair by my standardss due to a finish time bet with work collegues,winner getting to shave my head however they see fit,all for a good cause?

PPB-I'll be wearing a bright orange shirt with black shorts with "Martin" on the front and "Ping Pong Boy" on the back. So if you come by me when I'm suffering after I set off too quick I expect a Hello

Cathy Burke-I'll be wearing my club vest - red, blue and white, very patriotic - Wadhurst Runners with Cathy on the front

JFH - black shorts, club vest - mainly white, Erme Valley Harriers on the front - plus matching friend

MsFit (Vickie) – White/bright green “Samaritans” vest that says “Am I running fast enough?” on the back. Running in a beige baseball cap

Mightos -Red Start - I'll be wearing a purple charity vest (chest, heart and stroke Scotland) with Linda on the front and Mightos Bella on the back - in glitter!!

Simon Knighton - Red Start I'll be wearing a Heart Runners red top with SIMON on the front and black New Balance shorts

Steve Jolly - Blue start, lilac 'Dreams Come True' tee shirt with purple balloons on it (nice!!) - Steve on front and JOLLY on back - good luck everyone.

Moggie (Anne) - light blue & black "Aldridge Running Club" Vest - Anne on the front if I remember, with very suntanned limbs courtesy of Tenerife. Plus a Garmin brick strapped to my wrist

Ross (Ross) - Macmillan green vest with name on the front and back, blue shorts. Garmin brick also on wrist, and red Nathan bag

Booner - Blue Start - Green and black vest for the Eating Disorders Association (www.teamperry.co.uk) with the words "Booner" on the front and back. Blue Nike shorts. If you see me, give me a shout!
  • Options
    LJS - I rested for a week after last years London Marathon then started back about half way through the 3:45 training schdule to get ready for Edinburgh. I was injured though and I only managed three long runs between the London and Edinburgh marathons. I think it's difficult to decide how to train for the two, I guess it all depends on how your body will be at recovering after London.

Mines a Smooth - Keep your head down mate. I bet you're looking forward to you current tour of duty being over. Best of luck in your final month. I can highly recommend the Loch Ness Marathon. It was my first marathon and I would still count it as my favourite by quite a long way mainly due to the friendlyness of fellow runners.

I had a day trip and cycled from London to Brighton today (45 miles). I took it fairly easy and I didn't feel my knee hurting at all. I was quite tired by the time I arrived and certainly glad to be catching the train back to London rather than cycling both ways.

Sarah G - Are you at 18 miles as well? And then are you hoping to say Hello at the finish. It would be great to see you again.

PPB.

• Options
    Tallguy - I too am trying to avoid those ill people around the office who should be at home but usually struggle in due to the presenteism attitude that has afflicted my office. One guy, who may be back in tommorow, has been off two out of the last four weeks and I'm scared to go near him. Thank god for e-mail!
  • Options
    Here's the summary:

Expo Meet on Friday Lunchtime. 12:45pm at RW stand. Best tip is to look for tallguy as he's 6'3":
    Ping Pong Boy
    Tallguy (Steve)
    StephenV
    Ms Fit
    woj [possibly]

Blue Start
    1204 - Colin - 8m - 3.28.54
    2490 - Woj - First 'road marathon'
    6175 - Drunken-Euphoria - First Timer
    7791 - Ping Pong Boy - 3m 3:49:05
    8494 - BD - 2m - 3.56.ish
    9801 - Ross - 2m - 3:48:21
    15476 - Jolly - First Timer
    17366 - Beders 4m - 3.57.02
    17803 - Cathy Burke 4m - 3.59
    19908 - Booner - 1m - 3:50:47
    24306 - Moggie - First Timer
    25101 - JFH 1m 3.54

Red Start
    35125 - Simon Knighton - First timer
    35948 - Tallguy - First Timer
    36300 - Mightos 4m - 3.50.15
    37567 - StephenV - First timer
    43965 - Ianto (Ian) - 3m 3:53:10
    44924 - MsFit - First Timer
    47725 - One-go - First Timer
    50867 - Pete26.2 - First timer
    51560 - Minks - Second timer
    37something-Woony-5th timer-PB 3:39:47

Green Start
    32903 - Valuxian - 4m - 3:53:11
    29830 - LJS - 4 m - 3.38

Blue Start pre-race meet point is All Saints church on Blackheath that you can see a picture of at:
    http://www.weddingspastandpresent.co.uk/gal/details.php?image_id=683
    and a map of at:
    http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?pc=SE30TH&title=Blackheath,+All+Saints

Here's what we're all wearing:

Beders (pete) White Epilepsy Action vest with red and blue stripes down the side. 'PETE' on the front and 'BEDERS' on the back, 5ft 6ins chubby late 40's guy (although still got all my own hair just the rest of me looks old))

• Options
    Not sure if it's a good idea to paste all this each time? Been away, and will read back later. Just adding my running outfit description :o). Planning to post a link to a picky of me, if I can get the link sorted.

Eeek message rejected - have had to delete the expo meet and starts...

Blue Start pre-race meet point is All Saints church on Blackheath that you can see a picture of at:
    http://www.weddingspastandpresent.co.uk/gal/details.php?image_id=683
    and a map of at:
    http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?pc=SE30TH&title=Blackheath,+All+Saints

Here's what we're all wearing:

BD - Black top with concurve written on the back, and a silly red logo above it. Eric Morcombe shorts (as I'm told by BB)
  • Options
    Need my kids around to do a hyper link. Here is a picky of me (BD = Blond Dog)

http://www.richk.co.uk/WindsorHalf/WindsorHalf.htm

Anyone else on Rich's site, or links so that we can work out what everyone looks like?
  • Options
    err - that doesn't quite work. You have to then click on the 12 mile button (top row on the right)
  • Options
    BD - is that you looking like you've just been for a stroll in the park? I hope we see a bit more sweat at 26 miles - I usually look close to explosion!

Decided to run with the 4 milers at the club last night - it was great, forgot how slow it is actually possible to run, but very sociable. Well actually I was doing the talking while they puffed and panted - know how they feel, my husband always chats away when we go out together.

Got very scary with everyone wishing me luck for Sunday, feel like I'm carrying a lot of expectations there.

Sympathies for those who have to brave the workplace and risk infection, I'm working at home the rest of the week, already met several "I'm almost dead but still managed to make it into work" people yesterday. Ran swiftly to the other side of the office.

Have a good relax all
  • Options
    BBC forecast is saying sun & 13C.

just adding in my race day garb:

BD - Black top with concurve written on the back, and a silly red logo above it. Eric Morcombe shorts (as I'm told by BB)

StephenV - purple running vest with 'The Childrens Trust' on front Stephen on front and back, blue shorts and sunglasses
  • Options
    Sunglasses Steve? I do like an optimist!!
  • Options
    PE, sorry that the link upset you - I must admit I liked the bit about the toes. However, talking to a French colleague the other night (who is a keen runner) I may have found the perfect run for you. He suggested running the Medoc Marathon in Bordeaux. He said the usual finishing time is 6-7 hours due to the more interesting drink stations.

Went out for 4 mile run last night and found it quite an effort. Not sure why but perhaps it is the after effects of the cold. Looking forward to registration as at the moment, I'm not as excited about Sunday as I have been in previous years. I'm sure that will change.