Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options
    Just seen this thread - good to see from the post from Valuxian that someone esle is following the 3.30 program from RW - I was beginning to think I was the only one not doing 20 miles already!

It's my first marathon and so far I'm following the program religiously. Hope to get under 3.45.

Cheers
    Moggie
  • Options
    Nick M - I too did the 9m yeserday per the schedule in 1.20. After a rough month healthwise it felt great.

However I'm under no illusions that getting my 44 year old body to the start line in reasoable shape is going to require a good deal of luck! My sympathies to everyone suffering at present.

I intend to follow the 3.45 schedule religiously. The fact that this will mean the last 5 miles will be a total unknown for me is a bit disconcerting. However, i've done some long disatance cycling on totally spent legs and am confident I can do it.

Have just signed up for Cranleigh and the RW paced 15m run at Richmond Park. Also looking for a half marathon - may do wokingham in mid feb.

• Options
    Blott's Mate said it: the last 6 miles are mental as much as a physical challenge. When every bit of you hurts and all you want to do is stop. You're thinking that's only 6 miles, a routine training run, but then as I have said before, you realise you still have up to potentially 90 minutes to go. That's when willpower takes over to defeat physiology, and that's what makes the marathon the challenge it is, and the undeniable achievement.

I personally am not built for marathon running. I am 6 feet tall and over 13 stone, and was a sprinter as a student. However I did my first marathon in 1983 because it looked an interesting thing to do, and I have this ongoing love-hate relationship with the distance. I have shorter times that in the past suggested that 3:10 should be possible, but I have never run to my potential, always folding in the last 6 miles having been on target for 3:10 to 3:20 up to that point. So my approach has been to moderate my ambition, and train to try to put off the folding point as long as possible, learning to cope better when it happens. One thing I have learnt is that even though your body says go for it, it's better to wait until 20 miles before you respond, because you can still feel great at 18 miles and fold 2 miles later!

The bottom line is I don't have any answers and am trying everything so that I can just once run my perfect marathon.
  • Options
    Good Afternoon.

Sweep, Sarah - sorry to hear about your situations. How you feeling today? Do you have a physio appointment at all? Keep us all informed.

Monday and I'm not at work. Somehow this gives me the motivation I need for a long slow run. Think this will be make or break as I haven't done 9 miles since october. Hopefully ITB is up to it. I'm very up and down at the moment. One minute I feel great, next I get a niggle, most of them are trivial though. These niggles/twinges may not be all bad, it could be bodily muscle adaption and improvement. Stretching is working, especially the calf stretches - when I try and touch my toes I can now get an inch lower than a week and a half ago.

In case people haven't guessed I'm another on this thread following the RW schedule. Due to my irregular hours I am doing runs on different days, but all the runs are there. So don't worry Moggie plenty of people in your boat. I'm not confident about 3.45 yet though.

StephenV - You just gave me an idea. What if after long runs you did a few miles on the bike. After 10 weeks you might be used to it so when you get to 21 miles do another 5 miles on bike, and it might not be too hard. Might give you the extra endurance without beating your feet to pulp. Anybody got an opinion on whether that might just be crazy enough to work.

I'm very much sober right now Sarah. Until friday at least. I reckon I could do myself a favour and stop drinking altogether and I'm sure I'd get fitter quicker - but I think without the downtime i'd go crazy.

Interesting to hear so much worry about the last 6 miles. I haven't given it a second thought. I'm still disbelieving I'll get to mile 20!

lata
    Euph
  • Options
    StephenV.. Can you point me to the place where you signed up for the RW paced run in Richmond?!
  • Options
    Just to take your mind of London for a while.

If I get through this I'll need a new challenge. Anyone else seen the Picnic? Don't think I'll be upto this in the near future though. Maybe by time I'm 30.

Euph
  • Options
    I'll have to make sure my ITBS has cleared up before attempting 6000 feet of descent in one run. Might try the half though
  • Options
    I prefer the sound of this one..!!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=1471&v=6&sp=

Any run that takes in old mills, peoples kitchens and a chicken yard has to be done!
  • Options
    hi all

Sorry to hear about your injuries sarah, don't push yourself and do the Brass Monkey if you're not 100%, the last thing you want to do is crock yourself even more, hope the physio sorts you out. I'm afraid the mate i run with on saturday took my number for the BM

Colin D I'm with you on the love -hate thing with the marathon, at 5ft6in and 12st 7lb I'm also not the ideal build and i not too keen on the last 6 miles. I ran straight into the wall at 18 miles on my first one and just managed to keep running at a fast hobble for the longest 8 miles of my life. it's never hurt as much as that again although i still slow down just not as much. I've always tended to do more 20+ mile long runs than the schedules call for and i sometimes wonder if that actually counts against me. Like you say I keep trying different things i just hope one day it all goes right.

No run today as had to sort out problem with car but tomorrow will be trying 2-3 fast laps of the res with half lap jogs as i've got a day off so i'll be running from home. That's if it doesn't snow like it's supposed to !

good running all

cheers

pete
  • Options
    got a massage next friday, so that will be fun(am afraid,aaaarrrrrggghh)
  • Options
    Achilles tendonitis has gone now, but ITB still troubling me a bit - just like everyone else! I think it was too much mileage too soon for me.

Does anyone know if a step machine is good or bad for maintaining fitness when you have ITB?
  • Options
    Massage. Surely thats a good thing Sweep. Could do with one myself but won't fork out for one being a tight yorkshireman.

Booner - Not sure about step machine, I guess it will be like bike, ok for some sufferers not for others. On the plus side your not battering your hooves against the ground sending shock-waves up your leg exerting pressures on your leg. On the down side your still bending knee which could irritate a severly inflamed ITB.

Thought it would never get here but my 'magic bullet' has arrived. The pattstrap, and not a moment too soon. 8.5 miles was sadly too much for ITB last night. Was a bit sore from 3.5 miles but battled on. Truth be told nearly everything from lower back downwards is stiff or sore. Despite feeling fit, not covering those extra few miles for 3 months makes your body unused to it.

So have put the pattstrap on now and will wear it all day, whether exercising or not, having read somewhere that this is ok. I think the rest of the pain will fade over the passing of the day.

Replaced Heart rate Monitor batteries but it still does odd things. Ocasionally jumps to over 200-bpm and quite often seems to jump up and down 10-bpm (say 160->170->160) so not quite sure where I stand with the thing. Luckily have had a few sessions last week where it actually behaved so I'll just keep running at the pace I surmised from the effort in those runs. I'll save up and buy one of those Garmin Forerunners as a treat for completing FLM. Anybody got one? or the Polar equivelent.

Good luck with your threshold sessions, or whatever you are all running today.

lata
    Euph
  • Options
    Apologies, its speed-session day today isn't it.
  • Options
    Detox - it sure is just come back from 4*1 mile session in the freezing rain and wind - lovely

Moggie with frozen ears but satisfied smile
  • Options
    Just back from todays interval session, glad it's over!

Set off full of confidence on the first lap, but suffered a bit on the next 3. Managed the following splits: 6'54"/7'06"/7'13"/7'12". Can see some improvement there, but maybe that's just because the intervals were shorter than last week. It certainly felt harder. Nice and sunny but a biting wind - seems the rain and snow has decided to make it's home in more northern parts! Looking to run to work tomorrow for the 'easy' session.
  • Options
    booner i think tha will irratate it,
    driving is another
  • Options
    Well, got up this morning, took a look out of the window & really felt like going back to bed but managed not too.

time splits were 7m 36s, 7m 25s, 7m 36s & 7m 58s for the last.

Don't know if it was the early morning or what but I found it really hard and didn't enjoy it one bit & I can't seem to hit the magic 7m/mile at the moment.

Glad its over too, I might have to rethink my training next week, I can't see myself doing this too many more times, it just wipes me out.

Seems strange, but I am really looking forward to my slow 7 miler tomorrow, anything has got to be better than today.

Happy running

Nick

Well done to Tallguy & Moggie
  • Options
    My mood indicator

Monday
    /------
    /
    Sunday /
    ----------/

Tuesday
    ------

Injured, at this rate I'll fall back in to the patterns that defined Drunken-Euphoria in late 2004. And things seemed so rosy before yesterdays 8.5m. Still, day off tomorrow. Chance for aches to heal. Need to up the ante on the RICE. Still very early in the schedules so I reckon I'll have my head out the sand before too long.

Some great splits for the speed training out there. Pat yourselves on the back and enjoy your recovery run/day off tomorrow.

lata all.
    Euph
  • Options
    oops didn't get out for run today and now feel guilty reading all those speed sessions. Will try and redemm myself with a fast one tomorrow just hope it's stopped snowing/sleeting/raining with galeforce winds ...ugh.

keep those injuries at bay

cheers

pete
  • Options
    Nasty business this interval training, far rather spend hours on my feet than tearing around at great speed for short distances...

But at least I can see some inprovement...been doing the vicious Yassos on the treadmill, 800 metres in 3 mins 20 followed by 3 mins 20 at a slowace. Got up to 8 in a row before dying. Only managed 6 last week so maybe it's all worth it.

Maybe...
  • Options
    Oops, last time I try something clever on the thread. My progress graph has been mauled by the site into a cave drawing
  • Options
    Mmmm... Yassos. Intervals seem painful enough, Yassos just sound like a more exotic kind of pain.

I must admit, I think the ultimate goal is fuelling the efforts on the intervals. If I had no goal in sight, I'd be easing off and backing out earlier.

Well the car is safely tucked up in the office car park and the only way I'm going to get in tomorrow is on foot or by public transport. Unless the snow and ice does make it down south overnight, on foot it's going to be. Question is, how close to the office do I get my other half to drop me off? We live about 12 miles away, last run in was from 7 miles out. Tempted to add on another mile tomorrow, but the schedule says '7 miles easy'. I can feel myself getting slowing sucked in to that 'injury free' induced false sense of security!
  • Options
    So what's the basic idea behind yasso's? You run an interval flat out, recover for the amount of time the interval took you and then start all over again until you can't keep up the repeats?
  • Options
    I think you've pretty much got it tallguy . The 800m interval should reflect in minutes (3m 45s) the marathon time your aiming for in hours (3h 45m). Then just build up the reps.

Euph
  • Options
    Not strictly true. You run 800m at your predicted marathon time, in mins as described previously. Between each set you jog a 400m recovery in the same time it took you to run the 800m. A full session is 10 sets and if you can complete the session then it is supposed to be a good indication of the time you can expect to run the marathon. This basically means that if you are running for a 3hr marathon, then each set including recovery will take 6 mins with the full session taking an hour. It is this length of time on your feet which is suppose to improve your speed. God knows if it works though.
  • Options
    I should hasten to add I don't think I'll be going round in 3.20 - I just like a challenge!
  • Options
    So presumably the easiest way to do these is on a track?
  • Options
    hi peeps,i hope to get 3.45-3.50 in the marathon, do you think this 2 week rest will effect my time
  • Options
    tallguy - I do mine on a treadmill, that way I am forced to do the distance in the time. The other good thing is that you can see your improvement over time. You can't cheat the moving belt!
  • Options
    i dont care a getting a strap tommorrow, and going for a run with the club am going mad and fatter sittin around here,aaaaarrrrrggggGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

it is really frustating this resting lark

aaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh

do you guys think i regular knee strap would help.