Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options
    Good stuff Nick.M, my first marathon prep speed session on thurs. My unusual working week means I a lot of fun rejigging the RW schedules to suit my working/day off patterns. This is what I'm doing:

SUNDAY - Day off (work and running) - Swim
    MONDAY - Day off work. Long slow run (not very long yet though).
    TUESDAY - Recovery run and weight training at Gym after work.
    WEDNESDAY - Work late. No run, just some Abs and core strength work.
    THURSDAY - Tempo/Speed training after work.
    FRIDAY - Slow run after work.
    SATURDAY - Office AM and then Speed Training while the lights still good. On call in afternoon so pleasent way to pass time till finish at 6.

Manage to avoid early morning runs completly, too much like hard work. Managed to shift long run from sunday to monday when it feels so much easier. Its kind of like I wake up monday refreshed after 10+ hours sleep and gradually get more knackered throughout week, so idea of long run on sunday when I am at my lowest and quite possibly hungover is not appealing. I wonder if I can fool body clock into thinking FLM is on a monday?

Glad to see everybody is starting to feel healthier again.

Tallguy - I trust your lunchbreak is actually longer than an hour. Otherwise that would be quite a torrid 8 mile tempo run. Would like to run at lunch but no showers in office. Closest are in our warehouse site which is 5 mins run away so best I could hope for is about 6 miles hurried. I'd probably feel better for doing it and even better when gloating to other guys in my office who are lethargic eat junk all day long.

Peter Bedwell 2 - I'm in east yorkshire so closest I get to the west is Pocklington (SE of York) for Snake Lane 10m on 20th Feb. Too short for prep really but my favourite distance.

break a leg!
    Euph
  • Options
    Managed to run home from work (1 hour) and definitely feeling stronger. Praise the Lord!

Nick M

I live in Battersea. Out of interest are you doing your speed work on a track? There is no better feeling than completing a tough interval session. I guess triggering your max HR causes more endorphins to be released.

• Options
    Hi All

I am returned at last, welcome to all the new people who didn't know me before Christmas (I've been on thread since last FLM). Bit of an "up and down" time over Christmas, due to a heavy head cold with headache, toothache and earache and all the other aches etc, etc, which has been going round. Managed a few runs, but nothing like normal and no real distance above 7 miles, which is unusual for me. Stephen V, you seem to have been in the same boat as me and have my sympathies.

Added to this we went to The Gambia for a week over New Year, which was great and the warm sunshine cleared my cold up. This is a country full of natural born runners, so I wasn't short of company on the beach every morning - everyone runs.

Still have my hamstring niggle, which seems to have worsened recently, so back to the physio again this week. After missing races over Christmas due to having cold, I felt like I hadn't raced for absolutely ages, however, we had a league XC race on Sunday, which was a welcome chance to get back and get a race under my belt again. Not that my performace was great, but I'm nowhere near race fit and was pleased to get round and score points for my team.

Pete, thanks again for the schedules, I'm sorting them out right now and have put them into some sort of order for the next few weeks, I'm trying out the 3.30 schedule, which can't do me any harm as the mileage and the times are what I'm currently running anyway. Why aren't you able to do the Brass Monkey HM? If you're not using your number, I know a few people at our club who would like it, if you don't already have someone lined up for it. I will be running (all being well) but don't look in PB shape at the moment.

Back to the club tonight for some efforts. Good running all ....

Cheers
    Sarah :0)
  • Options
    hi all

just a quick note as manic at work. Sarah glad you had a good holiday, glad you was on that side of the world !! Can't make brass monkey as going down to folkestone for a dedication service for my mums new headstone on the 21st and then we're having a big family get together on the saturday evening. A couple of my sisters are organising it especially for me as i couldn't get down for christmas or the new year like i normally do so i can't get back in time for sunday morning. I have a mate who I'm seeing this saturday for a run who may want my number but if he doesn't want it let me know if you want it and i'll post it to you on monday.

gotta go now, off for yet another appointment, but still managed a couple of laps up through bluebell woods today even if it was rather muddy.

cheers

pete
  • Options
    Sitting here with that warm smug feeling of having a good interval session under my belt despite strong winds and horizontal rain. I almost bailed out of the 3rd lap, but persevered. Managed 7'23/7'22'/7'35 for the 3 x 1.5 miles, wasn't looking forward to it, but turned out to be quite a 'character' building session! Eeked the whole 8 miles out in around an hour and 5 minutes. Knees feel great, but the balls of my feet are real sore, this has been a bit of a problem with all my runs the last few weeks - they calm down with a good nights sleep but never seem to clear up completely. I think I might try and do the next speed session on a track and see if that's more foregiving.

Until the clocks went back, nearly all my runs were early morning. Especially in the summer, there's something very special about running around the countryside at sunrise. I've postponed this schedule till daylight starts making an appearance before 7am. Head torches are a novelty once in a while, but not every day!

• Options
    Hello all,

Had a few days off after overdoing badly last week - hobbled home from a far too speedy 8miler and was suffering from symptoms worryingly resembling IBTS all of last week, ie outside left knee pain walking down stairs, feeling like something was catching on the outside of my knee.
    After stretching (a lot) my knee seems fine. I think it might be my ankles and stupidly tight hamstrings that are to blame but: should I go out with the club tonight (my last run was a not very successful hill session on Saturday - fine on the uphill but painful on the flat and downhill) or do I lay off for another couple of days? I really want to get back out there but I really DON'T want to do myself a permanent injury....
  • Options
    Tallguy - I hope your "7'23/7'22'/7'35 for the 3 x 1.5 miles" was your pace and not your total time for each 1.5 miles, otherwise I give up now!
  • Options
    Colin, I was thinking the same thing, If that was Tallguys total time I am going to join the get you round forum immediately!

StephenV- I live just by Heathrow my friend & unfortunately I have to do my speedwork on the roads to a route I have measured. I did try using a track last year & tore my medial ligaments whilst running round a corner, put me off a bit.
  • Options
    Colin/Nick.M.. I wish!! The 1.5 mile times worked out at 11'07"/11'03"/11'21" for what it's worth. I have to admit, I made every bit of the .5 mile recovery runs count.

Sheperdess.. sounds like the catching feeling I've had in the past - often wondered if that might be ITB. Touch wood, I seem to be seeing the back of it now. I've not been along to any club nights since early December, as I always seemed to end up running faster and harder than planned - and that's when the problem was most noticeable. Supposed to be 6 miles slow tomorrow and tomorrow night is club night - bit of a dilemma there. There are a few other things that I think have helped me out, stretching, cycling, new shoes and concentrating on form. The problem did seems to get more noticeable as I cut down on the cycling and concentrated on the running.

Euph.. Looking at your rejigged schedule, are you looking to do two speed sessions a week? Brave man!

I know I asked before, but just in case I missed anyone, is anyone else doing the Dartford 10 next Sunday? Not sure whether I should treat it as a race or a training run - the idle side of me would like to potter round but my conscience tells me I should look to go a bit faster! Maybe I'll just try to run it at marathon pace?!

.. and something else I've wondered..how many people here are FLM veterans?

• Options
    tallguy, glad you cleared that up, i do a similar session round my local reservior, the only difference is it's 1.4 miles a lap so i take around 10-10.30 on my fast laps but it works out the same mins per mile. I wimped out the last time and only did 2 sets but like you say it feels damm good when you've finished. A couple of times in the past when I'm feeling particularly good I've thrown in a fast last lap after a long run. Not sure if it did me any good but sure got my heart rate up .

I wouldn't say I'm a veteran, not compared to a lot of people anyway, but this will be my 5th FLM on the trot. The first 3 were Gold Bond places but I got in on the ballot last year and this year i was amazed to fail the ballot but then get one of the thousand places you are put in for if you donate your entry cheque. Not sure of the numbers but it must be 100,000 plus for the 1000 places so felt pretty lucky.

This will take me up to 5 GNR's and 5 FLM's on the trot, at the back of my mind is trying to go for 10 of each on the bounce, just don't want to jinx myself by getting too fixated on it. I may be slow and old but i get round in the end. I would like to get to 3.45 this year but it really does depend on if i can get my training in (getting the excuses in early)

Anyway glad to hear all the good training going on, keep it up guys and gals, not long to go !!!

cheers

pete
  • Options
    Very motivated at the mo. Two days, two runs and no real ITB pain. Had a pain in left shin and foot but they disappeared after run so I'm happy. Some good speed sessions going on out there. Being two days behind with my schedule it gives me some sort of target so I don't go either mad or to slow. But don't think badly of me :)

Catching pain on ITBS descending stairs - my old adversary! Likely to be ITBS but could be other things. As long as pain doesn't get significantly worse you'll probably be ok, in some cases it can disappear after stretching, rest and a good nights sleep. Beware though as it can put you out for months and lead to secondary injuries.

Tallguy - Bit of a misprint. Thursday speed, saturday half marathon pace. Unless injuries worsened by speed session in which case all bets are off! Never done FLM before. Dartfords a bit far for me unfortunately but if I were I'd give it a bit of pace. I be going at least half-marathon pace in my 10 miler at end of month if I'm able, can't resist. I think I'd be dead underwhelmed by end of a race if I ran at long slow run pace. Good luck!

lata
    Euph
  • Options
    Peter.. Wow, that's some pedigree. What training schedules did you follow for the last 4 attempts? Are you doing anything different this year?!
  • Options
    Regarding veteran status...this will be my fourth London (88, 89, 2004) and my eleventh marathon.

Set out for a hilly fartlek this evening (which requires a bit of planning if you know Southport). Discovered what it must be like to run in a wind tunnel as my first mile was head to wind. I've tacked in a dinghy before but that was the first time in a pair of Asics! Anyway, the wind made a bit of a nonsense of the plan, as it made some uphills feel like down and vice versa. But it must be better than sitting in front of the telly. Surely?
  • Options
    Welcome back Sarah, glad to have you back on board.

Quite a few of us from the thread met at FLM last year so I suppose we're all veterans of at least one London Marathon. It'll be just my second London Marathon though my 4th overall.

Tallguy - I thought the splits you said were for the 1.5 mile circuit, I was getting scared. Thankfully I can do reps at the mile pace you mentioned. I sometimes do Yasso 800's but they hurt so much that it isn't a very regular occurence. Oh and I won't be at the Dartford 10 as it's 550 miles away!

I'm beginning to get back into the swing of things and I managed a slow 7 miles last night and similar again tonight. It felt much harder though due to really strong winds. It's a rest day for me tomorrow then I think I'll do a track session on Thursday for the first time in months.

All the best

PPB.
  • Options
    Good Afternoon All

Went out with club last night, intending to do a 6 mile route we normally do on Tuesdays, with efforts of 10 x 2 mins, but only made it round 4 miles, feeling flat, sore hamstring and my ever-running nose from the end of my cold. Feel disappointed and a bit flat in myself, but I guess I need longer to recover and get back to normal, which takes time.

Hamstring permitting I'm planning an 11 miler today, just to get some miles under my belt and not really bothered how long it takes me, just want to get round. Tomorrow I will try a gentle track session at the club (nothing too heavy with the men as normal) and rest Friday, as I have the Yorkshire XC Champs on Saturday. However, all this depends on what the physio says on Thursday evening. If hills are off the menu, then I won't be running the XC on Saturday, as I would rather be in better shape of the Half Marathon the following week.

Pete, if your friend doesn't want the Brass Monkey Number, then I'll definitely take it. I know people who would would really appreciate it at the club. Let me know on Monday and I will E-Mail you my address.

Anyone else based in the North with Pete and I? I live further North than Pete in the Northallerton area, North Yorkshire, so if anyone is around and fancies some company, let me know.

Cheers
    Sarah :0)
  • Options
    Hi everyone

Went out last night with my club & did 5.8 miles averaging about 8m 45s per mile, felt quite good.

Unfortunately I wimped out this morning, I was supposed to go out & do 1 mile jog followed by 2 miles brisk then 1 mile jog, I set the alarm for 5.00 but couldn't face it, I will have to go out tomorrow evening instead.

One good thing, it will keep me out of the pub after work.

Hope everyone else's training is going well.

Laterz

Nick
  • Options
    I've done that so many times Nick.M. I reckon for every one morning run I've done, I've shortened distance on another, and I've not got up to do 2! Eventually I gave up and now do most most of my running after work which suits as I start early to finish early.

Sarah - Hope 11 miler went ok, I know how tough it is trying to pick up mileage after a long rest. I'm in East Yorkshire but occasionally go up to North Yorkshire for races as I have relatives in Masham. Good hill training round there.

lata
    Euph
  • Options
    Nick M.. 5am, now that's a challenge. I used to pride myself in setting out just after 6am every morning, but 5am would be stretching it for me. Can't say I blame you for backing out. I'm slowly getting used to lunchtime runs which suit me well at the moment. It's the longer mid week runs, that kick off in a few weeks time, that are going to be difficult to plan. I might have to resort back to the early starts :(

Well this is the first time I've run 3 days in succession for a long while. Finished the intervals on Tuesday, slow run on Wednesday and jog/brisk/jog run today. My inbuilt sensitivity to pace leaves a lot to be desired, all this talk of easy/slow/steady/brisk/tempo/fast is a bit lost on me. I only seem to have 3 speeds! I know what 10:30/11, 9/9:30 or 7:30 feels like, but 8:30 (my target 'marathon' pace) doesn't seem to be a 'natural' pace for me yet. Anyone else feel like that?!

• Options
    I spoke to a guy at work who's run the last 3 FLM's. He tells me it took him nearly an hour to cross the start line from the 'off' one time - is that for real?!
  • Options
    Never heard anyone take that long to cross line. Never heard anybody say over 20-mins in fact.

Just realised I'm a week behind on schedules so will have to cut out a week somewhere. I have done lots of easy running this first week at about 9:30 per mile. Unaturally slow it seems but very comfortable at this speed. Roll on saturday and my first 'steady' paced run.
  • Options
    Oh no - 2 x 6 miles and 1 x 9.5 miles last week and the achilles tendonitis is still lurking and now I have ITB pain on my left knee! :0(
  • Options
    Hi all!
    Hope eveyone is making progress with their training.
    This will be my first 'road' marathon, and I would ideally love to get around 3.45.
    I normally run off road and am now putting in a lot more miles, running more often on hard surfaces. The knees have been getting a little 'hot', but not unbearable, as not used to it.
    Should I ease up a bit on duration/distance?
    Perhaps invest in a different 'model' of running shoe?
    Or continue as the knees feel ok the next day, and they will get used to it?

• Options
    Sorry to hear that booner, I think ITB is contagious in these forums. Do you know the stretches etc. There has been plenty of talk on ITB over last 5 pages or so, with a few links and bits of useful info. Managed about 13 miles so far this week without major ITB irritation. Stretching constantly, taking glucosamine with post race meal seem to help. Have also got a patt-strap on order.

Hi Woj. I'm almost 100% a road runner so my experiance of the dirt/grass to road transition is non-existant. Recycling others advice I would say that you should be careful with building up road distance too fast, perhaps for every extra mile on road do one off-road. What shoes to you use? Road shoes generally have more cushioning to reduce foot-strike shock from harder surfaces.

tomorrow
    Euph
  • Options
    Hi,

Logging in. Hoping for 3:30 to 3:45 this year. I am a veteran of the sub-4 thread last year, when I ran 3:53.

I'm a stone lighter than April last year and following the sub 3:30 programme from this site.

Here's hoping...

• Options
    Hi All

Glad to hear there is plenty of work being done and sorry to hear of all the ailments too, you all have my sympathy, as mine are still hanging around.

Managed 11.5 miles on Wednesday in the wind and rain and was glad to get some mileage in my legs at long last. I'm currently sat at my desk with a hot water bottle, which I'm alternating between my right quad and left hamstring. I had physio on the hamstring last night, which has really eased it off, but my right quad is quite sore and painful (but was like that prior to treatment). Not sure if it's from my longer run (although I do them weekly) or something more sinister lurking. Either way it doesn't feel great.

Last night I did 1 Mile warm-up, 2 Miles @ 7.30 pace and 1 Mile warm-down on the track with the club. Didn't want to overstretch after the long run and also with the XC Champs on Saturday, however, I'm now undecided whether to do them, as I have so many niggles and need to be in better shape really for the Half Marathon next weekend in York.

I will decided later today and see how I feel, but I may decide to sit this one out. Really disappointed to be side-lined at this time in the season, as I enjoy it, but I can only do what my body says :0(

Euph, glad to hear you are also in Yorkshire, Masham is only about 6 miles from me, so let me know if you are ever up this way.

Cheers
    Sarah
  • Options
    Hey all,

reckon it was/is a touch of ITBS but mainly due to me being overly slack with my stretching routine. New shoes (so I don't end up running 30 miles a week in my racers!)and proper stretching seems to have sorted me out although I have been taking it especially easy. Very frustrating though because I'm loving it so much I could run every day at the moment!
  • Options
    Valuxian.. A stone lighter since last year, that should knock 15 minutes of your time alone! Despite the increased mileage my weight seems pretty stable. I reckon I could get down another 8 or 9lbs, will be interesting to see how that affects my pace, hopefully in a positive way!
  • Options
    got sent home from the running club last night, physio's orders, I.T bands are in a right state, ive had nearly a week of now, gutted,am doing a 10 miler on sunday so that will show me if am ok or not, hope so,did you guys check out he web site i suggested i found it intersesting, got the helsby half marathon next week end as well , so i never trained as much as i liked to, but sh!t happens,

detox- how are you I.T. bands
  • Options
    Sweep.. If your I.T.Bands are that bad, your plans for Sunday sound a bit ambitious? I was in town last night meeting up with a few work colleagues. Took a cab back to Victoria, along the Embankment, Parliament Square, Birdcage Walk.. don't think I'll be quite so chilled out next time I follow that route.

Easy 4 miles planned for today and the Dartford 10 tomorrow. Weather looks promising. First 10 miler I've ever done, so at least a PB is guaranteed ;) Was thinking I should tack a couple of miles on to the end of it if I feel up to it. May well end up jogging a couple of miles to the start if the parking is as bad as everyone tells me it will be. Will wait and see.

Good weekends running everyone.
  • Options
    Hope they hold up sweep - are you wearing a Patt Strap?