Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options
    Well I got through the 8x800m on Tuesday, but yesterdays "8 miles Easy" turned into 8 miles at 8:30 due to the fact that I went along to the club. No matter how good my intentions, it seems impossible for me to do a club run at a slow pace.

It's going to be difficult to fit in today's run and I've got the VO2max test on Saturday morning, so I think (bearing in mind last night's effort) I might treat myself to two consecutive rest days so I have a fresh pair of legs for the test. Don't know quite what to expect, but I imagine it will be pretty intense!

• Options
    StephenV - I have also entered Cranleigh. Likewise I would love to complete the 21, but will have to see how it all is on the day.

Perhaps as a small group, we may all get round in a realistic time?
  • Options
    went out tonight with patt strapp on

done easy 5 miles

it did help a bit, but dident sid the twinge alltogether,

were the pain is on my knee there is a , ( WHAT I CAN ONLY DISCRIBE AS , LIKE A BUBBLE IN WALLPAPER,)BIT WORRIED A BOUT THAT, I WILL HAVE TO DO SOME RESEARCH,

ANY IDEAS GUYS
  • Options
    OH GOT MY SPORTS MASSAGE ON MONDAY SO HOPEFULLY WITH THAT BEING MY SECOND ONE IT MAY HELP, ME TO THE ROAD OF RECOVERY, THANKS GUYS,
  • Options
    Any results from your x-rays Sarah?
  • Options
    I've not done a lot of runnning this week with just 2 x 4.5 miler, one slow and one flat out and a 7 mile run completed. Despite my best intentions I still haven't done a Yasso's set at the track so I need to start doing some proper speed work.

Tomorrow I'm planning on 16 miles just nice and slow in around 2.5 hours. Anyone racing or going long this weekend?
  • Options
    PPB.. I'm looking to up my long run to 15 miles on Sunday. The 14 I did last weekend took me around 2h15m, so I think the 15 should be just short of 2h25m. Next week is going to be a challenge to fit anything in as I'm on a course. Looks like it will lots of very early starts!
  • Options
    PPB - I'm doing 15 miles too - but Staturday for me.

Pete - I do most of my runs off-road through woods, canals etc, even long runs. I think it's better for morale and body! Will try and do some long road ones though as I don't think anyone has moved London to the countryside as yet...

Moggie
  • Options
    Tallguy / Woj

Good to hear you're going to be at cranleigh. I'll be running with another RW 3.45 FLM virgin, so let's get a group together and see how we go on the day. If I make it to 21 it will be the furthest I have run.

Stephen

• Options
    StephenV.. Sounds a great idea to me. Let's set up a 'meet & greet' strategy nearer the day!
  • Options
    Hi all.

Been a bit too distracted to post last few days. Nice to hear your injuries a bit better sweep. Myself, no ITBS pain in right leg but some sort of twinge under left kneecap now. I'm not ill but run-down with combination of increased mileage and lousy week at work and had to cut a speed session short yesterday which is kind-of depressing considering theres a long way to go. Think tonights short recovery run is out the window and I'm going to rest completly till sunday and my 10m race.

lata
  • Options
    Southern XC Parliament Hill tomorrow. Should be very slippy. Neglected spikes rusted in. Struggling to get normal ones out & insert talons
  • Options
    Good luck with the races and long runs. I'm a bit of an early bird when it comes to long runs and I finished a 16 mile run in 2 Hour 18 just before 9am this morning. I ran faster than previous long runs but I think this was because I didn't have my MP3 player to keep me distracted.

I often get a song stuck in my head on a long run if I don't have something else to listen to. Today I had the song "Crashed The Wedding" by Busted in my head for 2 hours.
  • Options

Never done a marathon before and struggling to work out how fast to run, so would be really grateful of some honest thoughts. Started running a year and a half ago after a riding accident and the only "race" i've done is the great south run (10miles) which took an hour and 16mins. I've put this time into various prediction gadgets on the Internet, but they all come up with different times for a marathon - anything from 3hr 30 to 4hrs 25mins. Do you think it's realistic to go for 3hrs 45, or should i just aim to finish (an if so at what speed?)

Really greatful for any help, as i'm not following a proper marathon training plan as i don't know which one to use. ...starting to get really nervous! :)
  • Options

MsFit - Your 10 mile time is similar to my best of 1 Hour 15 for the distance so I would say it is realistic to aim for 3:45 at London.

There are training programs that runners world are e-mailing at the moment that have 4 hour and 3:30 training. I think a fair number from this thread are following the 3:30 program as many of us are sub-4 marathon runners anyway and just want to aim that little bit higher.

I'd suggest you find one training program and do your best to stick to it. As long as you get the long runs in and don't increased your training distance too dramatically too son then you should be OK.

• Options
    Thx a lot - that's really helpful - now have no excuse for not following a schedule and 3:45 seems a good plan! Want to give myself a bit of a challenge, but be realistic at the same time!

I've had a look through this thread, and people seem to do long runs at quite different speeds, bt what would you suggest if aiming to run the marathon in 3:45? [a friend has lent me a speed/distance monitor gadget, so i know exactly how fast/slow i'm going now! :) )
  • Options
    MsFit.. I think it's widely accepted that long runs should be run slowly to get the most benefit. I've been told about 1'30" over your target marathon pace - so if the aim is sub 3:45, target pace is 8:30, so your long runs should be run at around 10:00 pace. I tend to run mine at anything between 9:30 and 10:30.

Some people advocate long runs with a faster finish, i.e. look to run maybe the last couple of miles at approaching marathon pace.
  • Options
    It is very very difficult to do a long run 10 min miling.
  • Options
    Back from my hilly 10 miler over the wolds which proved to exceed all my expectations. After being under 8 min/miles for most first 5 miles I got to halfway in 40.12. Quite comfortable at this point but then something snapped and I ran next mile in 6.29, though it was suspiciously short following the suspiciously long 5th mile. Followed this with two more sub-7 min/miles. Was on for 1.15 till last mile and steep hill which finished me off. Finished in 1:16.41 after my only 9 min+ mile of the day. I'm expecting to feel very stiff tomorrow but not planning running again till easy 3-4 miles on tuesday.

Not exactly consistent speed but the undulations were quite exaggerated with entire miles of uphills out and downhills back. Unexpectedly knocked over 3 minutes off distance PB. But the biggest shock came afterwards when I looked at my results and for miles 3 to 8.2 I ran my first 45 min 10k (with a few seconds to spare). Something I couldn't do in 4 attempts last summer. Not going to count it though as mainly downhill during those miles. Nice to know though.

MsFit - What tallguy says is right. Can't bring myself to run slower than 10 min/miles though so do mine at about 9.30 usually. Its well worth doing the latter stages of some of your longer runs at expected marathon pace to get used to it.

Anyone else raced or trained today? Excellent conditions
  • Options
    Nursing a non-sporting injury (food poisoning!) I've been unable to run since Tuesday which is v frustrating.

Had planned to do a long marathon pace run yesterday but will have to leave that to next Sat.

Hope I haven't lost too much fitness - I think it will be a week off in all with a restart on Tuesday.

Humph!
  • Options
    One-Go, you will be OK. I was worrying at New Year that I had lost fitness due a week off after the Flu but I've bounced back and I'm running as well as ever.

I also have difficulty running as slow as 10 minute miles in training. I'm very tempted to get one of the Garmin gadgets so I know my distance and speed as it can be tough to judge.

The weather was great up in North Scotland this weekend but I had to rest today as I'm very stiff after yesterdays long run. Normally I cycle on a Sunday to loosen off but my poor bike is broken and waiting on a part coming in...boo hoo :-(

Take it easy folks.

• Options
    Thanks PPB - I think I'm just getting impatient...

Maybe a week off will actually be good for me in the long run, recharging batteries and all that!

In terms of speed for long runs I'm happy if I just go as slow as I can without messing up my usual running rhythm - if that's not slow enough, well what can I do?!
  • Options
    Listening to all this has given me serious motivation - thanks guys! ...having no running friends does have its down side.

Have been on odd runs in the past with my (non-running) frieds and running 11 minute miles or slower is actually really hard work and was responsible for my one and only running injury (so far)! Like the idea of 9:30, so am going to give it a go next weekend.

Hope you all have a happy, healthy and ijury free week :)
  • Options
    PPB - definitely recommend getting a speed/distance gadget. Apart from the obvious, there's something very satisfying about seeing how far/fast you've run when you're relaxing in the evening!
  • Options
    Euph.. Great result over the 10 miles, well done! I just hit 15 miles today, but about 65% of the course was cross country, hilly with lots of sticky mud. Just squeezed inside 2h30m.

Had the VO2Max test in London yesterday, very interesting excercise. I was hoping I'd be around the 50'ish mark, turns out I've a VO2 max of 63. Apparently something I should be very pleased with, but still coming to terms with what that really means. My lactate threshold is around 183bpm, so my suspicion that I was a 'high beater' seem to hold true. The other interesting result was the 'fat burning' zones. It seem's I've two fat 'bumps'! One at a very low bpm (around 115/120 - not a rate I could even consider maintaining whilst running) and another 'peak' at around 175bpm. Can't see myself maintaining 175bpm for 26 miles?!

• Options
    tallguy, can I ask where you got your VO2Max test done in London?
    How much did it cost you?

CHrs

3:45 hopeful.
  • Options
    BBD.. I arranged it through Trainsmart (http://www.trainsmart.com/exercise_test.asp) and took the test at Cannons Convent Garden Gym with a guy called Mark Kirkman. Very knowledgeable guy, could have chatted with him for hours!
  • Options
    Tallguy - Interesting stuff on VO2. Think I want to get mine done know. Its something practical you can learn about yourself. The dual fat burning 'bumps' seems especially unusual as I have always read that you need to exercise in the ridiculously low HR 'fat-burning' zone. Something else to save for as well as the garmin forerunner, new trainers and mini-mp3 player. Whoever said running was cheap?
  • Options
    Guys, just been to look up what 'Garmin' is - what a mistake - I realise I must have one of these now!

Has anyone got one of these or one of the competitiors?

MSFit - what make are you using?

I'm torn between the Garmin Forerunner and the Nike Triax 100. The Nike isn't GPS but this may be an advantage as I run a lot through woods. Then again the Garmin would also work for cycling and skiing. Decisions Decisions.

Any feedback appreciated.

Mogs.
  • Options
    Tallguy - how much did this VO max test cost and how do you book one?

THanks