Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options
    Tallguy, are you human? Sounds like you have the respiratory system of an ethiopian/kenyan trapped inside a 3.45 marathoners body. I could probably count on one hand the number of miles I have run run under 6.51!

MsFit - Wouldn't worry about machine calculations. At the gym I often go to I run slow miles before a weights session. Half the machines will calculate HR semi-accurately. Another quarter will not read HR despite my chest strap being on. And occasionally a treadmil will give me HR readings even if I'm not wearing chest strap. Strange but true. Maybe some days I have a powerful static charge?

Off to said gym. Instinct says don't go you'll just make aches and leg stifness last longer but if I don't do a few miles and weights today won't get another chance till thursday. And then I'll be down to 3 days running left this week. Maybe I'll just do half my planned 4m easy. Also read somewhere that its good to do a recovery run within a few days of racing even if you don't feel like it. Supposedly it helps clear out the lactic acid, and my legs must be pumped full of it!

lata
    Lactic-Euphoria
  • Options
    Euph.. LOL.. just the conclusion I'd come to!
  • Options
    PPB.. It seems Ask Direct have hiked the price of the 301 up to £199. Several other sites are asking well over £200, looks like the demand is high!
  • Options
    tall Guy , I'm like Euph, the only time I get under 6.51 is when I'm doing mile sprints in speed work and even then it hurts. that'll give you a sub 2.40 marathon, perhaps you should be on the sub 2.45 thread not 3.45 !! well we can only dream .

Not doing too well on sticking to the schedule, another nice day so ended up doing bluebell woods again with a couple of mates. I did push a lot more this time both up and down so surely that counts as a bit of a speed sesh ? Will be doing RPM tomorrow to rest the legs from the pounding and keep the dreaded injuries at bay. One thing I have noticed is that i struggle to get my heart rate up over 165 ish going uphill when I'm trying hard yet when i come flying fdown hill ( all that weight does have some advantages i.e. gravity )my heart rate jumps up to 190-200 which feels a bit much when you're nearly 48. Might be my heart attack waiting in the wings !!

Anyway hope you all have some good runs

cheers

pete
  • Options
    Peter.. I'd put money on that being your chest belt slipping! Took me a while before I sorted out the right tension and position for mine. If that slips it does exactly the same thing.
  • Options
    Unusual Peter, I'm the opposite generally. I struggle to maintain low HR going up hills and it lowers downhill. By the sound of it though you belt down the hills so that would probably explain it. The rule of thumb with me seems to be that my HR (at the same pace) can be upto 10 beats lower downhill and 10 higher uphill depending on severity of slope. I don't train on mountain sides though so this theory is not tested beyond steady slopes and short rises.

Played safe today and did a tiny two miles slow on treadmill and avoided strength work on legs. Instead added 5 pounds to every lift on upper body work as thats the only part of my body working right now. Tomorrow I doubt I'll be able to get up.

Question, on the subject of 2.45 marathons. Does anybody here reckon its possible that if they kept up the training, building up mileage or speed month-on-month, year-on-year that eventually they would be able to run a 2.45? Bear in mind thats an increase from averaging 7mph to 9.5mph, or 8.6-min/mile to 6.3-min/mile. A lot of people think this is impossible, but I reckon if you built up really slow it might be possible.

lata
    Euph
  • Options
    hey guys ,great news from camp sweep, had a sports massage tonoght by a 70 old therapist, it was shit hot and i am confident that i a now ok, going out friday,for the acid test, so wish me luck guys, this fella knew his sh1t, so i think am going to be back,

how are you guys holding up
  • Options
    Euph.. I reckon it's down to two things - genetics and age and I reckon it's the genetics that play the biggest part. I'm not holding out much hope at 43, but then again there is that guy Fauja Singh in the Adidas adverts!
  • Options
    Great news Sweep, you sound pretty fired up. Go easy and don't do anything rash!
  • Options
    i wont do any thing stupid, thanks tallguy,am going out on fri for a easy 5 miler and go from there really,just build up again gradually, am still at a good fitness level, so if my knee is ok i will hopefully still accomplish my aims,motivation is back, after a mental slump, but i am still going to take it easty for a good 2 weeks
  • Options
    You go for it Sweep. Don't go mad though. Sounds like you have had a bit of rest time and sure the massages will help. You mentioned pattstrap a while ago, heres my take on it. I don't know if the pattstrap is a be-all and end-all cure as i still feel twinges. But for me wearing it probably stops all the good work I do for recovery between runs being wasted as it holds it in a different poistion probably reduces the movement and thus inflammation of the ITB. Still wearing mine for each run despit the fact think i may be on the mend.

Back to the 2.45 question I floated. I'm young so i'm going to set myself the super long term goal of a 3 hour marathon. I know some guys have started threads who reckon they might be able to do one first time. They probably ran sub 40 min 10ks first time out though. If I can knock 5 miles of per year from 3.45 this year(assuming I can do that) I'll be there by my mid 30's. Probably an unrealistic target but its nice to dream. Hmm, I could be setting world records in my late 40's - LOL!

lata
    Euph
  • Options
    Maybe a more realistic goal would be a punctuation, grammer and spelling course I think - after reading back my last entry.
  • Options
    Drunken-Euphoria, go for it man,i want to do a sub 3 one day, and if i put in the work there is no reason why i cant, same applies to you,reach for the stars
  • Options
    oh and the patt strapp, i found it did ease the pain a bit but, i wasent a breakthrough for me,but it did ease the pain
  • Options
    Re. Sub 2:45 Marathon - I'm probably young enough (at 34) that I could train really hard and achieve a 3 Hour Marathon if I dedicated everything to my running for a few years. But to hell with that as I wouldn't be happy. I like the variety of participating in many different sports. I'd also need to diet and lose a fair bit of weight and I've no intention of doing that.

Good news Sweep, easy does it.

Tallguy - My luck was in today as I paid £189 for the Garmin 301 as I ordered at the start of today.
  • Options
    But back to reality. Despite burgeoning confidence I've still got my work cut out to get near 3.45.

Good night all
  • Options
    Do you guys wear your patstraps above or below your knee?
  • Options
    hi all

i think a sub 3.00 at 47 is probably a bit wishful thinking, all i can do is try and outlive everyone but unfortunately that Singh guy has already thought of that. Euph and sweep you're still young so it's feasible although i have to agree with PPB, as you get older you question the requirement to dedicate your life to it.

Euph in respect of the downhill running, Ilkley is in a valley with steep hills in all directions so i do tend to fly down them flat out, it's the only time i can run fast so i make the most of it. The chest strap does come a bit lose Tall Guy so i expect it's a combination of the two that makes my HR go up.

RPM today and some mile sprints tomorrow, yippee , don't you just love pain.

have a good day everyone

cheers

pete
  • Options
    You youngsters should be aiming high, sub 3.45 this year sub 3.30 next year and who knows....

I'm a bit old for that, if I get under 3.45 I'll get a GFA place next year so that's my goal.

My foreunner 201 has just arrived and is charging its batteries, can't wait to take it out for a run!

Happy running all, it's a take it easy day (well on my schedule at least)

Mogs
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Can I join in? Ran 4:01 in London last year - this year's schedule has me running 5 days a week instead of last year's 4 and quite a bit more mileage so I'm hoping 3:45 is a realistic goal.

Have just been away on holiday for a month though, so that could put the mockers on things a bit. I did plan for this by training to about a third of the way through my 18-week schedule by Christmas to allow for the break, and this seems to have paid off.

Last week was my first week back and I eased in with a 30-mile week. Seem to have lost surprisingly little stamina although my pace has fallen off a bit - hopefully that'll come back as my legs get used to repeated daily thrashing. Had some muscle stiffness and soreness last week but I guess that's to be expected after such a long break.

Feeling quite motivated at the moment. I'm an evening runner - can't do those early starts - and have a 7-mile run planned for tonight, with hopefully a faster section in the middle as I have to start running at marathon pace occasionally at some point!
  • Options
    Hi All,
    I'm also starting to wonder if 3.45 might be a realistic goal for me. I did 3.56 at Abingdon in October, and would be reasonably confident of getting under 4 hrs again. It's the thought of sustaining that 8.30 min mile pace that sounds so tough. If I can get under 1.40 for a half (Bath in March), then 3.45 for the full seems possible. Well, maybe..
    Good luck to all with training
  • Options
    Hello All

Welcome BD and welcome back Minks. You both sound in good shape for a 3.45, belive it or not 8.30 is not a hard pace to sustain, just it may drop off in the last 3-4 miles like I did last year and narrowly missed 3.45 by a few secs, grrrrrrrr. However, the crowds at the start do hold you back a bit.

Anyway GOOD NEWS on my injury, I have got my bone scan appointment through for next Tuesday, so we will hopefully be able to see what we are dealing with soon. The NHS really have done me proud (along with my doctor and physio pushing things through quickly). It seems quite a lengthy process, as I have to have the injection first, then wait 3 hours, then go through the scanner for 30-45 minutes to see what they find. However, I'm so glad to get it through so quickly, I am very impressed with the NHS! I'd heard that it could be up to 3 months of waiting.

The pool opened at 7am this morning and I was in the water and swimming by 7.02am, very keen. Started work half an hour later and will be finishing half an hour later, but the rest of my evening is free - much easier to do it this way round.

Getting quite excited as next week, I can try some remedial running to see how the leg reacts. Also a bit nervous in case the pain re-emerges, but will let my body make that decision and deal with what comes along. It will be the final ruling decision as to whether I may get a shot at FLM or will be looking towards Berlin in September.

SWEEP, so glad to hear your news and very happy that you went to a sports physio who knows their stuff. It has no doubt given you a huge boost, so take it easy for a week or so. You will be flying again in no time at all.

PPB, I'm 33 now and belive I may make a sub 3 hour marathon one day. Apparently the optimum age for a marathoner is 37, so we both have some time left. Like you I also enjoy swimming and cycling and by cross-training the risk of injuries is greatly reduced. Perhaps triathlons are the way to go, but my cycling is still poor.

Big Luds, Thirsk is good, but don't know any longer running routes round there, perhaps you do?

Peter - no heart attacks please and you are doing just fine!!!

Happy training all

Cheers
    Sarah :0)
  • Options
    Moggie - I loved your tongue in cheek comment about 3:45 this year 3:30 next. It's a bit of a bugger for Sarah G and myself as we've been on this thread for the past year. Pete B has been here as well but I'll let him off with the 3:30 target as he's an old man (only kidding Pete!).

Great news on the injury front for Sweep and Sarah so we may well yet have you with us in London if all goes well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Minks & BD welcome to the thread. Minks I've seen you around the forums for quite a while nice to have you on here.

PPB
  • Options
    All this talk of long term sub 3.0 goals is making me feel a bit of a uneasy! The main reason I'm training for a sub 3:45 is that hopefully it will make sub 4.00/sub 4:15 a bit more comfortable/realistic (or even sub 4:30). I know we are still a 10 weeks out, but the thought of 26 miles at 8:30 fills me with apprehension. I think I need the comfort of a solid half marathon effort at that pace to put my nerves at rest.

My marathon goals, in order of importance are 1) Get round without causing myself long term injury, 2) Enjoy as much of the experience as possible, 3) Finish in a time I can be proud of.

Maybe for FLM 2006 the order might change a bit, but I can't see myself budging on No.1!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Know what you mean, Tallguy. Having run a couple of halfs at 8m/m pace, I thought 8:30 pace would be a cinch for the marathon. Now the mileage is building up and I'm constantly tired, even 9m/m pace feels hard sometimes!

But we must have faith - come race day we will all have tapered and feel a lot fresher and hopefully raring to go! (Well, in theory, anyway!)

I'm planning a bit of 8:30 pace in my 7 mile run tonight just to reassure myself that it doesn't feel that bad. When I'm not marathon training I find that pace quite easy, so my feeling is we're all probably just more tired than usual as we're adjusting to higher mileage than we would normally do.
  • Options
    Sarah- Yes have plenty of long runs- flat or hilly (and I do mean hilly. Take your pick. I'll be doing 14.5 on Saturday morning if your keen. On the flat and 6.5 on Sunday on the hills.
  • Options
    thanks for the encourament guys , and sarah get well soon , and keep that cycling going
  • Options
    Sorry if sub-3.00 talk made anybody uneasy. Must say its a seriously long term goal for me. But I change my mind as often as my socks as my plan till recently was one london marathon for the experiance then back to 10k --> 10m distances. I have already set myself a post marathon goal though - run a 5k race. I'll probably be lucky to do 3.45 this year. I've missed so many sessions already that I wonder if I'll even get around.

Tallguy - Sometimes I put 3 ahead of 1, but I think for a first marathon I'll probably be sensible.

lata
  • Options
    Patt Strap above the knee for ITBS tallguy...
  • Options
    thats the way i wore it also,

drunken- if you put your mind to it mate, you can do it,