Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options

Hehheh, your Mon night (Tues morning) postings always make me laugh LS image After barring you from the marital bed when your all randy, drunk on success (and beer) what does she think your doing when your disappear off to the computer for 15mins? image

.....Moving quickly onwards.....

Just been out for 8m with club, good pace near 8-min/miles which felt challenging at time after Sunday but a few nice breaks. Blimageimagedy cold, had to dig out my Gore top as its the only single layer I have which I don't freeze in at 0 deg C! Didn't help when two runners decided to leave pack and we stood around for 5 mins waiting for them.

Ozy - Looks like your getting back to business,

JBSS - Good start to the XC, specially considering poximity to holiday. I run like an elephant seal for a few weeks follwing holidays.

Mr Puffy - Sorry to hear about your lad. No experiance of a leg break so can't advise really, best wishes, maybe a physio could give you some optimism and a plan for active recovery?

SB - You dropped a shot!!!! image I'm an excellent golfer and reckon I could rack up that score in 7, maybe 6 holes image

22nd'ers - Easy on route choice. With XC and a few winter long trail events in mind I might hop across the water on the canal run at the bit where there is a "rougher"  trail/path at the other side and run that? Anyone up for that? don't think it lasts long, at about halfway I think.

Sleep tight image

• Options

Morning all

Excellent run last night, 6 miles round town.  The snow had managed to avoid Bishop Auckland completely, so it was a lovely cold crisp night with no one about whatsoever. I did have to get out the leggings for the first time this winter.

I don't think I'll be joining you Euph on the 'rougher' path.  The last canal run left me completely shattered running on the flat side so I'm not going to  make it any harder.

SB I doubt if your current shoes are two years old they can still be providing much support.  It could be that they are worn out, not providing the support they should and contributing to your problems.  Have you done many miles in them ?

Mr P Sorry to hear about your son. Never broken a bone so can't offer any help except adding my best wishes.

Ozy
  • Options

Oz, Badger reckons 500 miles is just warming a pair of shoes up ! I'm sure he said he was over a 1,000 miles on his trainers. Dunlop Green Flash I think they were.

I reckon he is secretly a tight fisted Jocko !

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Oi! Jocko! Tight fisted yes, Jocko, no!  (although my Mum was from the ar$e end of Govan, maybe I get my tightness from her?)

Only 593 miles on my current pair, so they're just about broken in.  image  I've had the thigh/hip/groin pains since well before this pair were even bought.

In fact, I'm desperate to replace them but don't want to until I've had my fancy-dan video gait analysis at the physio place tomorrow morning.

I went to the Sweatshop yesterday to look at what's available. As I've said before, I want to change away from Asics and try either Nike again or Mizuno for the first time.

Did 5 swift-ish miles at lunchtime to try and get some pain in the injury so I can better inform the physio tomorrow. Ended up doing 6.56 pace for the trip which I'm pleased with as I had a decent spinning session last night so everything was a bit tired.

SB

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Puffy: Sorry to hear about the lad. Like the Ozmeister, I've never broken a bone so don't know what to say to offer advice. I guess you'll have a few free Sunday mornings now, what with the lack of kids footy?

Get well soon Puffy Junior

SB

• Options

Finally got round to joining the gym at work. so I could do some cross training.  Induction consisted of being asked if I'd been in a gym before, so when I said yes I was just left to get on with things.  Only did 1 mile on the treadmill, spent most of the time doing a good section of back, core and upper body exercises. Aim is to try and do a couple of sessions a week when I'm not running and I suppose when the weather does get bad I can go and do some of my running in the gym rather than skipping it altogether.

Ozy

• Options
    Mr Puffy, what has your son broken, and how old is he? What treatment and advice has he been given so far?

Beders - I've done Ribble Valley twice before. It's a very good event, well organised, and a great way to blow away Yule cobwebs. The course is "undulating" as RW always seems to describe rural road races. There's a short, sharp uphill to the finish which makes your eyeballs pop out your head, but it's always a good place to reel in a couple of strugglers in front.
  • Options
    Would anyone like to take it?
  • Options
    beders oldtimer 1 wrote (see)

Looks like it's the 22nd for the forum run, it looks like it's going to be a canal run by the popular vote if that's ok with everyone ? Can we tempt you Tutu ? a 19.5 miler from keighley back to leeds along the liverpool leeds canal on the 22nd ? nice and slow and company all the way !

oo, I seemed to have missed this! I take it you mean the 22nd Nov? I am signed up for the Abbey Dash on 23rd so not sure.. but, seeing as the canal practically goes past my house, sort of, it seems rude not to!  I am not sure what shape I will be in due to severe lack of running obviously.... and there's no way I could do 19.5 miles (eek!) but tell you what - I will meet you somewhere along the way, and run the last part back to Leeds.  Would be lovely to meet some of you.  Who is coming?

• Options
    Awe, think that may have been my virgin TOTP on this thread image
  • Options

Evening everyone, I would love to join you too, but leeds is a bit far.  Next years Humber Bridge half though, it clashed with a race in liverpool for mrs Puffy this year.

Hobble it he's broken his right tibia, quite cleanly, and it's been plastered up but little advice on whether he should be moving, resting, whatever.  I think he should be moving about a bit more but he is still a bit "shocked" as it were and just wants to sit still.

Absolutely gagging for a run now, so tomorrow's group run will be very welcome!

• Options
    Mr Puffy. Have they given you an appointment for a fracture clinic? I presume they have 't fitted a heel to the plaster yet?
  • Options

more than welcome Tutu, so far it's me, euph, ozy, sarah and normally we'll be setting off from keighley about 9.00 ish, only 9-9.30 min miling , where abouts are you thinking of joining us ? and we can work out an approx time we'll be getting there. ! congrats on breaking your totp duck !!

carefull you don't build up too much muscle ozy  ! it'll make the canal run harder. mmm might agree with you about the rough bit, we can watch euph blasting his way through the undergrwoth !

went out for another easy jog at lunchtime, just over 4 miles at 9.30 min miling, feeling easier all the time. I've almost convinced myself that it would be a bad move to race the Guy Fawkes on sunday so will probably just go for an easy longer run on the saturday. Remember last year when I had a cr*p summer after running the FLM and then 3 x 5k's a half marathon and a hard 10 mile trail race all within 3-4 weeks of the marathon...stupid or what !

trying to be sensible this time and stopping myself from racking up the mileage too soon

enjoy the snow SB

cheers

beders

• Options
    Thanks Beders - will decide nearer the time where I'll join you. I know Saltaire is 12 miles from home so if I think I've got 12 miles in my legs (and probably not doing Abbey Dash) then maybe there..
  • Options
    HI fracture clinic is on Monday...the plaster   goes all the way down the foot , finishing short of his toes.
  • Options

Evening..

Mr puffy....oh dear your poor son....what a nightmare for him....was it caused by a bad tackle ?..never broken anything myself..no matter how accident prone I may have appeared lately..it was always my sister in and out of casualty when we were kids....hope your son copes ok..not easy having to keep still at that age..

SB SNOW !! you have to be kidding..I had to scrape ice off my car the last couple of mornings...and we have had some hail stones the size of golf balls..but no snow...good luck at the physio..let us know how it goes..

Euph congrats on the 10k pb awesome..and a fast club run just days later..

ozy.I love running when cold ..and your description of your chilly 6 miler sounds wonderful..good luck with the gym membership..not keen on the gym myself....how do you stay motivated ?

Beders..dont race !!!! you know its silly..and you will leave yourself open to INJURY!!! its not worth it..I never believe folk when thy say they get a string of pbs..after a marathon..all I can say is..they didnt run the marathon properly..or maybe I am just getting old..lol

Freeeeeezzzzzing club run tonight..but I seem to run well in the cold..we did 8.4 in 67 mins....so just under 8s...

• Options

9.57 miles in 7.37's. What a difference to this run if I start off just a bit slower up the initial uphill couple of miles, then I can pick up the pace, but feel strong doing it, instead of having to work hard to keep up the pace. Finished well with a wee bit in reserve. Still don't think sub 1.40 is possible at Glen Clova, especially on a hillier-windier-3 miles-longer route, but 1.42ish should be ok. Hope the wee Puffy gets well soon, and his stookie is covered in autographs.

LS

• Options
    Ok, Mr Puffy. If there's no obvious reinforcement at the heel, such as a piece of wood or rubber, then they don't intend him to be weight-bearing on it i.e. he should only be walking with crutches. You should get more info and advice at fracture clinic. The loss of confidence is quite understandable and will recover. First trauma to a youngster can come as a bit of a shock as they realise their own mortality for the first time.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    LS nice pace..just hope for good condtions at Glen Clova..you will do well....when is is ..this week..next week I cant rememeber ?.....and remember START SLOW....
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Saw the fizz this morning and he has found the problem.

My pelvis is out of alignment (Told ya!) and my Psoas muscle is very weak on the left side. He did some resistance testing on my legs and the difference between the two was amazing. Looks like I've run my 90 min HM PB sideways!!  imageimage

My core muscles are very weak (you were right Nursey) and are putting a strain on my obliques (apparently). So I have some exercises to do to try and strengthen them.

For the next six weeks I'm only allowed to run two 5 milers per week and go spinning. 

I have two sessions with him next week when hopefully he'll put my pelvis back where it should be.

I'm going to be the bestest patient around and do exactly as he says. That would mean the marathon is still ON...for now  image

SB (lightly flexing the lower abs)

• Options
    So good news really SB..at least you know you should be ok to marathon train....and spinning is really good for you...I did it ONCE thinkng it should be easy..WRONG ..it nearly killed me..a great way to keep up the cardio fitness...as for the rest of it..do as you have been told..image
  • Options

Good new SB.  That's two of us at least whose problems have been down to weak core muscles.  According to my fizz the back problems I was getting were down to weak core muscles which in my case were putting pressure on my back.  This is why I've joined the gym.  I'm hoping one session a week of light weights including plenty of core and back exercises will keep me in shape.

Got a good few aches and pains today, after yesterday's gym session.  I've not been in the gym for months so a few muscles which have not been used for a while are protesting after yesterday's workout. 

Ozy

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

One of the tests showed that my left leg is longer than the right! image When I lay down again, it was equal in length. Apparently all due to the muscle/pelvic inbalance.

I'm hoping that the treatment will make my running more efficient and I'll get greater speed and endurance. What I have to watch out for is getting over excited. I'm buzzing at the moment as I have a proper diagnosis and an action plan after months of pain and speculation. Must calm down, must colm down!!

Ozy: we'll have to trade core muscle exercises.  So far I have standard quad stretches (pulling foot up to bum) 2 x sets of 5 and hold for 20 secs, Hip flexor lunges - 3 x kneeling hip flexor stretches (20 secs each) and some Tranversus muscles (lowest of the abs) hold in for 10 secs, 3 x 10 reps. Apparently I'll have more next week.

SB

• Options
    SB, I'm sure the fizz will work wonders, but I would also seriously consider talking to Sub-4 about orthotics.  Your leg isn't going to grow and any amount of physio isn't going to change that!!!
  • Options
    Simon..I think the leg length is due to imbalance rather than  literally..one leg being longer than the other..orthotics really are often unnessesary and I know people who have paid £100s for them only to never get used to them and find out later they have been wrongly diagnosed...
  • Options

SB - glad you've had some sensible answers. Never underestimate the importance of getting your core right. It means your legs can concentrate on propelling your forward, rather than keeping you stable, and means you should (in theory) run with better alignment. Or so says my other half who's "in the trade"!

Puffy - hope Puff Junior feels better soon. I've never had any breaks (touch wood) so can't really say I know how he feels, but I am sure he'll start feeling more lively soon enough, especially once he's seen the fracture people.

Not been able to run due to work the last couple of days. But tomorrow I am working from home (that old chestnut) so will definitely get out!

LS - you might surprise yourself at Glen Clova. Have a good warm up and don't go off too fast! Then you can get into "cruise mode" and you never know what time you might achieve.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nursey, that's right. Otherwise I'd run with one foot on the kerb and one in the gutter to keep level! image

TOTP anyone???

SB

• Options

TOTP, no fuss from me been there, done that, worn out the t-shirt image

SB - Good to hear you've got your core problems diagnosed (funny to say that not in bizness speak). Keep to the physio's plan and you'll be fine. Its a trade that have always served me well. If I do what they say I rarely need a second visit for a problem. Hopefully leg-length thing will even out and not leave you needing orthotics (a last resort).

Think my core has been letting me down since before my fall from grace. Hardly done anything of late but all this talk on here and my own feeling I'd need something extra before XC races means I've started again. Managed two decent strength and core sessions this week so may be back on the horse. Not much gear, light dumbells, exercise mat, towel (for resistance) - not a big fan of all the fuss of gyms, particularly their monthly charges. Sure these weight resistance machines are great for "big guns", but from most of what I read seem unnecesarry to produce light and functional muscle for running.

Hard club sesh tonight, in the murk and rain. I'm more looking forward to Sunday when I will be out with club doing a "Rudolph Recce" in preperation for next months 24m Rudolph Romp, good times! Sure beats sitting around at work, feeling muscles tighten more by the hour.

• Options

Tutu - Yeh, come along, great fun and you'll see were all no crazier than the average runner image

Puffy - Hope the younguns getting along ok. Sounds like you've been left a bit short of info on recovery, I also find doctors can be a bit coy with information sometimes and you really have to keep asking questions to get all the advice out of them. Hope fracture clinic are more helpful.

NN - Also had some big hailstones this morning. Great speedy sesh you had the other night.

Beders - Take it easy, don't want that tendon flaring up again image Bit of trail running or softer canalside paths are what you need.

Freemers - Like your partners core advice, makes sense. Not sure how good my core is but feel it could be better.

LS - Enough pussy-footing. We will accept nothing less (or actually more) than 1:40, you can do it, run up those steps, race Apollo Creed on that Beach, punch that frozen carcass, you can do it....YOU CAN beat Ivan Drago and get another sub-100 image