Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options

Hi everyone

Euph and others wish I could be with you on the 22nd. Mos of the sub 4 group are in the south you guys in the North, maybe better check out the 3,30 thread! Not a chance.

• Options

I think 99% of the population will have different length limbs to some degree image.  If you find a good physio who actually knows what they're talking about great, but in my experience they're few and far between.  I've also wasted huge sums of BUPA's money and my time on so called experts - maybe I've just been unlucky!?

...anyway, Sub-4 were a last resort and they sorted me out within a matter of weeks.

• Options
    No jokes about third legs either!
  • Options

I agree SimonO, I went to quite a professional outfit of physio's and the like when I couldn't get in my regular. All good gear but got the distinct impression they were more interested in helping the super-whippet teenage athelete with a twinge who was there at the same time. Fair enough maybe but I was paying too and had tendonitis or a stress fracture in foot. The advice was ok but the recovery plan OTT and expensive, I abandoned it half way through when I felt better. Only other physio I've been to is husband-wife practice in our village. They are a Physiotherapy and Sports injury clinic so understand my lunatic-like devotion to my pastime. One is also a fairly good runner who used to trail run in the dark with a headlamp before work image

Good sesh tonight. First of our regular winter returns to the hilly fartlek loops. Last year we ussually did 2 loops and occasionally three. Tough bugger tonight, straight into 3 x 2.75m hilly loops after a warmup and a 1.5m cooldown at the end = 10.5m speedwork session. Well established route through the undulating suburbs with two long reps in each loop - near 0.5m - and three shorter all-out sprints with reduced recovery. Did I mention there were hills as well? Made things more challenging by running into a bollard near start of third loop - topically I bashed boney part of pelvis image ran it off though image

Martin - So what you are saying is that we are 15mins quicker "oop norf" image

Grabbing coat...... Pub beckons image

• Options

It's Friday, yipee .....  Horrible weather outside though, but still going for a longish run later, around 13 miles if I can squeeze it in before it gets too dark.

Puffy, sorry to hear about your son, no wonder he feels shocked, I'm sure I would be too.  I really hope he heals soon and finds his confidence again, I'm sure he'll be up and about in no time.  I once broke my wrist playing musical bumps at a party (when I was 8 not 28).

Beders, hurray for the canal run, the slower the better for me, 9.40 sounds good if I'm going to get around 19.5 miles!!  I always seem to have a crap time over summer too after FLM and never start running well again until autumn, you'll soon find your mojo again.  Managed to get hold of Nick, she's been ill in bed this week and didn't do much running the week before, so hopefully she'll be back soon.

Tutu, thankfully not just 20 runners in the XC rae, but 55, so not too bad, but plenty of room for improvement.  Hope you'll be able to join us on the canal run, there are plenty of places en-route that you can join us, Beders will fill you in.  Would be great to meet up.

Ozy, glad to hear you've returned to form and the gym is proving useful, although I don't do gym work myself, perhaps I should.  Sounds like you were left to your own devices a bit.  Is the house move this weekend? 

LS, my usual plan is to start slower and build on pace, seems to work better for me and it's not that I can go that fast to start with anyway.  Good luck at Glen Cova, when is it?  I'm certain you can break 1.40 there, unless the weather predicts otherwise, which is out of your control.

SB, great news that you have your diagnosis.  It's always a relief when you've spent months wondering what the hell was wrong with you and if you are beyond help.  Good physios are definitely worth their weight in gold, so hang on to him.  You'll be flying again in no time image

Euph, I'll "stick to't road" on the canal run thanks, it'll take me all my time to do 19.5 miles at slow speed, while you enjoy your off-road adventure, then you can then tow me along.  Your session sounds very similar to one we do around the hills in Richmond, a tough one I agree.  Time to start planking again for those core muscles I reckon .....

Went for a run with a new club in my town on Wednesday, which was as much social as running, but we did 6 miles and it was nice to run at a steady pace with other people.  It's quite a new set-up, so hoping to introduce hill reps and some efforts next week.  Last night was a track session of 10 x 2 mins with 1 min jog recovery, track was freezing and slippery, which made it interesting.  Half Marathon next Sunday, so will try and ease off a bit next week before the race.

• Options

http://images.cafepress.com/image/8803327_400x400.jpg

That's BetterHappy Halloween!!!
  • Options

Morning all

Did another freezing cold run last night, 7 miles in about 1 hour.  Unlike Tuesday night it was wet and windy and I hated it.  Going to do a couple of easy miles tonight and then I'm off to a fancy dress Halloween party. I think tomorrow is going to be a rest day because I'll probably have a hang over and more importantly I've been training every day since Sunday and I'll best have a recovery day before I injure myself again.

I agree with what been said about a good fizz being like gold dust.  I'm very lucky to work for a big firm which has it's own medical centre.  This means we've our own physio, who it doesn't cost us to go and see.  Plus we get to go in works time which is even better.

JBSS House move will not be for two weeks I think.  The weekend will be spent boxing stuff up and taking all the rubbish to the tip.

Ozy

• Options

hi everyone..hope you are all good. only time to skim bak over the last few pages...totally stacked out with work at the mo!

Euph - good going on the 10K, awesome image. I also had some texts last weekend asking if I was in the legs image. I dont thnkn I will do the full thing at Hebden..was chatting to someone on fetch who runs at a similar pace to me and they took over 7hrs last year! The 14M option would fit better with my training. How abotu 4 Villages instead of BM, or is it a little far to travel

JBSS - only a week to Lancaster, looking forward to catchign up with you image. Waiting to hear about BM entry and my wilmslow one is in too...tell Nick to get well soon image

SB - glad you have finally managed to diagnose the problem and are on the way to righting it. I think all runners negelct their core..mine was very weak but have been working on it ever since and it makes a whole heap of difference.

Beders - dont do Guy Fawkes, rest and enjoy. Remember, 26d to recover from a mara!

Hobble - good to see you again!

Puffy - hope your son is ok! have you booked in for wilmslow or 4villages?

I have been building the base miles and chucking in mile reps or a tempo once a week so will see how that figures. still loving the early mornign runs, did a proper LS the other mornign as was up at 5am for a run, before flying over to edinburgh for the day image

is it Glau Coma this weekend? best of luck adn best of luck to all others racing!

Happy running everyone image

• Options

Hello Clairster, yep, booked for 4 villages, and will be entering wilmslow too but only after sorting out hotel for Paris in April.

PJ has just been for a walk to the allotments over the road so big improvement today. 

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Puff Daddy: Well done to the little 'un and his hop to the allotments. The guy I sit next to at work has come in for the first time in 5 weeks today after snapping his achiles tendon playing rugby. His ultrasound pictures are quite good. He had a 2cm gap between each end of his achiles. He's wearing a big ski boot which he will be in for up to 4 months. His calf muscle is already deteriorating and his consultant said that by the time he can walk properly again his legs will "look pretty silly" next to eachother! Of course the muscle will eventually return.

This could be the same for PJ, so a light hearted warning may be in order?

Maybe he could keep the crutches, put keeper gloves on the ends and use them in his first game back between the sticks when he's fit? He'll be great!!   image

SB

• Options

hi gang just back from another easy 6 miler in the cold, no worries clairster I'm defo sticking to the easy running for a while yet, decied to do an easy 10ish miler tomorrow instead of the damm hilly 10 miler that is the guy fawkes on sunday ! Keeping my Hr low, about 132 means the running is very easy but slow, just over 10 min miling on the undulating route tonight. Did think should I be worried about such a low pace ? nah !!! just enjoyed the crisp evening air , watching the frozen mums following all their little kiddies dressed up in various costumes clutching their bags of sweets. AH !!!

5am sounds as bad as LS, think I'll be up a bit later for my run tomorrow morning, don't frget you're supposed to be coming over in the new year for a canal run! can't be the 18th as got the Brass Monkey so maybe the week after , before the Rombalds ?

glad to hear the young'uns feeling better Mr P, they do recover so much quicker than us old'uns

saltaire sounds good tutu, that's about 8 or 9 miles in from keighley isn't it ? so should mean we'll be getting there about 10.30 ish, if you want to let me have your mob no, mine is 07957 431189, text it to me if you want and then I'll  take my mob with me so we can all make sure we meet up. No worries JBSS, it'll certainly be slow, 9.30 at most, just trying to build up the endurance and aerobic fitness again. did you get in the Brass monkey ?

missus is out tonight with the girls so I've got the computer and sky all to myself...bliss !

hows the house going euph ? had any parties yet ?? are you meeting up at mine on the 22nd ? reckon your fitness may be a bit better than me, you'll have to wait for me at the end no doubt !

see ya lata all

cheers

beders

• Options

No parties for me this weekend Beders, judges would mock my sobriety this last fortnight. Had a fairly good go the weekend before last when managed to have a decent pub crawl without straying more than 500m from my house! Up till 5, slept in till 12 and went for a run "saturday night drunk-style" on a saturday afternoon. luckily I have a great park on the route, plenty of woodland to disappear into should I need to image Too much info? As for house, its good, more homely by the day, but cold as boiler is playing up. I'll come via yours on 22nd if thats ok? Slow sounds good, I'll save my legs for the bonus trail stage.

No running planned for tomorrow, saving legs for Sunday when me and some from club are going to run a 15-20m part of the Rudoplph Romp.

Clairster - See how you feel closer the time re. Hebden. I'm most probably going to do whole hog as no Brass Monkey to save myself for. Going to try and get in Snake lane 10 and save my HM for later as a pace tester during marathon training.

JBSS - Yup core needs work, felt quite strong early this year but months of running without core work has taken its toll. Two clubs!! don't know how you fit it all in? Do you have a time machine so you can go back a few hours every few days to grab some extra sleep?

early night, gonna grab most of the weekend.

• Options

128 m for the month, more than last year and most since marathon training months. Pleased with that, takes me to 1140. I still might beat last year if I can throw in a big month image

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    SB
    I am so pleased to hear that your Physio is sorting your pelvis out. It is a very common problem in runners and other sports too. Have you got exervises to do?
  • Options

Mornin Ceal.

10 miles in 7.39's. not too shabby.

• Options

morning all

top skills, am off for a 110miler, but aiming for 9.30-10mm, trying to keep most of my runnign around 9.30mm to build that base image. we'll see. Take it Glen Campbell is next weekend then LS?

Euph no worries, I got into BM so want to have a good crack at that. i ave a head torch for running in the early mornings round here too image Puffy, looks like I will be doing BM instead of 4Villages now

1645M for me for the year..will i crack 2000 again, will have to wait and see image

• Options

You'll miss Strictly, AND X Factor at that pace Clairster ! Maybe even Sunday mornin' Hollyoaks too !!

The early bird catches the TOTP !

• Options

thanks for your number beders, have saved it and will text you mine at some point... i'm sure it'll be easy enough to meet up along the canal - like I said, I'll decide nearer the time where to meet you and will make sure you know what I will be wearing, and will be there in plenty of time etc.

Hell Up North tomorrow - eek! Really keeping fingers crossed about my knee as *touch wood* it feels absolutely fine now! Have hardly felt it at all for a whole week now. Went for short bike ride, short swim and 3 mile walk this morning and absolutely no pain whatsoever... feels to good to be true. Can't wait to be able to build up speed/distance again with running. Will let you all know how I get on tomorrow, should be a laugh if nothing else. 

Good luck those doing Guy Fawkes and anyone else racing.

• Options
    For all round workout, and a heart rate of 110% max(!) you can't beat raking the moss off the lawn. I'm done in!
  • Options

another late night, 3.00 am friday night/saturday morning and then 2,30 last night  ! phew can't stand all this wild partying ! does mean I'm sat here tapping away on the computer at 10 in the morning trying to force myself to go out for a 8ish miler. Rain and wind outside..marvellous can't wait to get out there.

looks like your moss raking is more successful than you TOTP Hob !

got my nephew and family round for tea later so looks like I'll be cooking the sunday roast, the downside of the missus working weekends for nearly 10 years is that my roast dinners, in particular my fluffy crispy roast potatoes ! means that I always get lumbered with cooking the sunday roasts !!!

after a chinese last night it does mean I'd better get my mileage up quick to get rid of some of this carbo loading. So far I'm on target for 2000 + this year, still sticking to the aerobic running since the marathon though, my fisrt hard run will be a right shock to the system.

right better get out there, hope all the weekend racers have a good one.

cheers

beders

• Options
    If it's any consolation, Beders, you could be sitting there like the majority of the population, in a centrally heated room, reading the Sunday papers, with a cup of tea and a bacon butty at your hand, getting fatter by the minute. It's no competition, is it?
  • Options
    Sorry, had to put my coffee down and wipe the bacon grease off my fingers.

Heading off to Eccles Rugby Club with my 12 year old daughter, who has training for the county side this afternoon. Hope it's not a repeat of 2 weeks ago, when we had 2 ambulances for a neck injury and a knee injury. I thought girls' rugby would be more gentle, but between 2 teams, I have a total of 17 years experience of watching junior rugby and have never seen an ambulance at a game before.
  • Options

ouch, sounds a bit tough Hob, and you're right, would rather be able to winge a bit THEN be able to go out for an 8 mile jog than just sit there and winge and get fat !!did have a nice bacon butty when I got back though !

just over 8 miles nice and slow, HR still seems a bit high so was just under 10 min miling to keep it at 132 but means it's another aerobic run and gradually getting the mileage abck up. Loads of people walking round the res in the cold and wind, spent half my time saying hello to everyone, friendly lot northerners.

will confrim times nearer the 22nd Tutu and yep it will be nice and slow.

any news from the racers today ??

cheers

beders

• Options

Hobble - As a watcher of rugby league I agree that bad injuries do seem rare (part due to conditioning no doubt) but wheh the occur can be catastrophic. Hope the injured girls are ok, or are going to be.

Beders - Glad you motivated yourself to get your 8 in before starting on your well practised and delicious sounding sunday dinner?

Tutu - Hope Hell up North went ok? No injury recurrance? Looking forward to your race report as fancy doing one of those harsh obstacle type races one of these days.

9.30 last night me, and no doubt other members of running club got a text from captain to remind us we had an 8.15 start so needed an early night. Hows that for motivation! I hadn't forgotten but I was in a bar, though I did curtail the drinking to avoid a hangover. This was our 3/4 course recce of the Rudolph Romp 24m event which happens in December.

Horrible night and it was a hard cold wind and rain this morning as I drove to the start about 10m from my house. Tyre grip felt decidely dicey on the soaked roads. Not actually as cold as mid last week but the wind and rain hardly ever stopped, everyone was soaked though by the end.

Steady downhill trail at first before a steep field descent to an old railway carving which we followed for a few miles. We then passed through a few villages before it was a long wooded trail. Got really muddy, but course is flattish at this point so pace overall was solid 8-9 min/miles - much faster than would be possible in some North/West Yorks or Peaks off-road events I've done. After 9 mile we emerged in village called Sancton where a bag full of food/drink had been secreted the previous day. Water, powerade, bananas and the all conquering jaffa cake!

Next bit was grim, muddy valley with tree routes to trip you everywhere before a steady climb out to the road being blasted head on by wind and cold rain. Got better after this as we turned with wind to our backs and ran along a verged road for a while. Then a few big downhills into local "dry" dales (which wern't dry). Feeling good so pushed on a bit up a short steep climb, around a few fields and then a hair-raising slippy mud descent into Drewton Wood - its a hilly end and the scene of next weeks x-country. Not long after this we emerged back at cars 18.6m, 3hr3mins, legs stiff as planks. If I do the full event I'll definately have to start slower as perhaps the steepest hills weren't part of todays recce image Nowhere near Rombalds difficulty (not to mention Hope Moors and Tors) but still challenging at that pace and muddy at any.

Cheers,
    Euph

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

My local Formula 1 team have just secured the F1 Drivers Championship! image

As I've mentioned/displayed on here before, my off road routes take me through the grounds of McLaren Racing where they develop and build the car. I know several people who work there and obviously, as a sports fan, they are my No:1 racing team. I'm so pleased for them all!!!!!

I've just witnessed an incredible finish to a season when Lewis Hamilton won the title in the last corner of the last race of the season. Incredible!!! image

I'm going to have a celebration beeeeeeerrrrrrr!!!!

And now, Top Gear is on!!!  WOO-HOO!!

SB

• Options

Today was the most beautiful, still, crisp, blue sky Autumnal day the big man with the white beard has ever created. Wish I'd gone for a run. Instead caught up on the sleep til 9.30, then took the 7yo to rugby. a wee mini tournament, but they wear velcro tags on their hips to get pulled off for 'touch rugby'. Then planted 3 trees for the Mom in Law, and rebuilt the drain I'd had to smash up to get to her blockage a few months ago. Lovely roast dinner, then sat in front of the fire watching a borrowed Iron Man DVD with the kids. 10.30am meeting tomorrow in Stirling, 500 yards from Bannockburn...... 2 afternoon appointments, then it's Monday, so its pool night !!! I'll get up for a run tomorrow, but it looks Johnny Frosty already. Hope all are well and injury free.

LS