Options

2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Evening. image

OH: Thanks a lot, hopefully it goes well.  No worries re: Stockport10, 90 years is some age.  Hopefully see you in one of the trail half marathons next year. image
    Cal: I've found that starting slow and gradually increasing my pace has helped me improve a lot, so maybe starting at 11:15 pace and working towards 10:40/10:45 pace may be a good compromise.  Ultimately it's up to you, and I'm sure other forumites will be able to offer more practical advice than I. image
    HM: Thanks a lot; reminds me when I started my degree, I began receiving messages from friends to assist with parking tickets/contracts. image

- - - - - - - - - - - 

5 miles easy today in preparation for Sunday.

Oh, November's mileage was 191.2 miles.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Weekend Races

03/12/16 Kepler Challenge 60km GazM
    04/12/16 Stockport 10m Olliepop
    04/12/16 Pete McArdle Cross Country 15k No Pain

God luck peepsimage

• Options

Evening. image

Teknik: Cheers for the race listings.

Good luck in the Kepler Challenge, Gaz image

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Friday - 4 miles, nice 'n' easy.
    Saturday - 3.1 miles, just a parkrun with a friend.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

I ran 17:31 in my Park Run today and another 1st place finish. During the week I ran 18 miles over 5 treadmill runs on Monday and Wednesday. Easy 25 mile cycle on Thursday. Easy 4 mile walks on Tuesday and Thursday.

• Options

Swim and a jaunt up local hill

Enjoy your day at the races, guys image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    GazM,

Hope you had a good race today.

Ollie & NP,

Good luck.

------

Well done guys.
  • Options

Have lost so many posts image not sure if its RW or my broadband or a combination... so here's the short version.

Gaz can't wait to hear how today went. image

Good luck tomorrow NP and Ollie. image

Well done to everyone out training in the cold and parkrunning today. image

Have been doing the usual mix of easy runs, intervals. Got lost off track in the woods today so didn't quite manage 10 miles in 80 minutes.

F

• Options

Morning all. image

Good luck NP, hope the 15k goes well today.

Sub17: Nice job on the parkrun and the weekly training.
    OH: Aha, thought you typed 'swim up my local hill', missed the conjunctive. image  Nice swim and jaunt though.
    HM4: Thanks, hoping to put in a good race effort today.
    Fiona: Good training this week, and a nice exploration of the woods.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

10 miles today for the Stockport10.
    Weekly miles will tot up to 51.1 miles.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

Ollie- Good luck with the 10 milerimage How did the interview go?

Fiona - Well done on the run in the woods yesterdayimage

S17 - Good parkrun againimage

OH - Well done on the swim and hillimage

Cal - 10m/m should be a good target MP for the spring, maybe even a touch quicker, given the recent HM timesimage

Hope Gaz and NP had good racesimage

----------

6 yesterday, 10 this morning. Hopefully the start of more consistent running, still a long way off being right but it isn't hurting. 32 for the week, only way is up regarding fitness.

Signed up for Glenmore 12hr last night as no-one seemed to fancy the relay again. From the 8 that formed our 2 relay teams in September, 6 have signed up for one of the solo races. 4 for the 12hr fun runimage, and 2 for the full 24.

• Options

Hello again. image

SM6: thanks, the interview is this Wednesday, got to deliver a presentation as well, so will also be preparing for that.

- - - - - - - - - - - 

1:04:48 by my watch today, still not as fast as I'd like to be but I think I'm on the up and so hope to regain my stamina by January; so a lot of positives despite missing out on my PB set on the same course last year.
    Otherwise a nice race, if a little windy toward the end.

Will be taking this coming week easy and will jump onto the 16 week P&D schedule starting next week.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

Well done Ollie, that's encouraging.

Well done on the 1st place, Sub17

Good job, everyone else.

I was going to do a long run on Friday but as I was leaving early afternoon to visit my godparents in Cambridgeshire, I didn't quite get around to it. I did manage a very frosty 4 mile run around the fields and village where they live this morning, though, which was pretty slow due to lumpy ground and a kissing gate, but a nice change from the norm. The sun made it pretty pleasant, even though it was cold.

• Options

Thanks Cal, nice going on the frosty run on Friday.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I also miscalculated my weekly miles, it was in fact 48.1 miles for this week. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

Well, apparently I've been well fed this weekend (plus I was given wine and sherry - I don't often drink) because I've gained a couple of pounds. Off for a long run today, then. Fortuantely the weather was beautiful - clear skies again and a bit of frost, although that had disappeared by the time I was halfway through. I ended up running a half marathon. I tried to keep a nice steady pace so I deliberately did not check my Garmin. I finished in 2:11:07 which is actually faster than my first three half marathons (two of which were only back in Spring 15). I've obviously made a lot of progress since then!

Slowest mile was 10:19 (miles 1 and 5), fastest was 9:35 (mile 12). Average pace was 9:59 so I guess 10 minute mile pace would not be unreasonable for the marathon.

Now I just have to work on the stamina part, particularly the muscular endurance.

• Options

Today at the gym: I ran 14km over 4 treadmill runs  and 2km on rowing machine.

Tomorrow will be a 2 hour easy cycle. 

Wednesday will be 15km over 2 or 3 treadmill runs and 2km on rowing machine.

Thursday and Friday are rest days ahead of my Park Run on Saturday.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Well done guys.
  • Options

run swim run today all short.

• Options

Hey all.

Cal: Well done on the training half.  Fantastic progress and I'm sure there's more to come.
    Sub17: Nice job on the running, hope you enjoy tomorrow's cycle.
    HM4: Thanks.
    OH: Nice run/swim/run combo today.

- - - - - - - - - - - - 

Very quick mile done, squeezed in to maintain my running streak.
    Likely to be a short run tomorrow too.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

Completed the Kepler Challenge in 7:33:12 a bit behind my target of 7 hours, coming 119th out of 434 finishers. Delighted to finish, but a little disappointed with my time the truth be told. An incredible race over an amazing course.

Race report to follow.

• Options

Well done, Gaz, looking forward to report already...

• Options

Numerically warmer today (8C ) but huge wind chill factor making it feel much colder.

10 miles done along coast

• Options

Hello. image

Gaz: Nice one, I too shall eagerly await the report.  Sounds like a great course.
    OH: Nice going on the 10 miles today.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Another day, another mile.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

15km treadmill run in 59:27 today. 

Tomorrow I will run 10km + 4 mile treadmill runs around 6:30 mile pace.

• Options

I had to sit on my arse all day yesterday waiting for my new passport to be delivered, so I was planning on a good run plus yoga today. Then I remembered I'd booked a massage at 10, so I ended up doing a quick and dirty 4 miles with the last two miles slightly slower than HM pace (9:14/9:13). My legs feel surprisingly good after Monday's run - I was expecting more tightness/heaviness.

Got the details of my track race on Saturday. I'm in the 23-26 minute group, which has a pacer running at 23 pace. Given I've only just cracked 26, there's a very realistic chance I'll finish last. Hopefully a new PB will give me a reason not to cry into my mulled wine afterwards. image

• Options

Hello. image

Sub17: Nice treadmill running, 15k in less than an hour is a nice training session.
    Cal: Good going the the slightly ad hoc 4 miles.  Hope the Saturday race goes well, sounds like it'll be a tough but rewarding. 

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Yet another mile to fill out yet another day.

Had the interview today, went well enough, will be back to increasing the miles now, but I still plan on keeping it easy for the rest of the week.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

Best of luck with that, Ollie.

10K easy(ish) today. Goal was 6 miles but as I hadn't quite reached my house when I got there I decided to go for the other .2.

Legs did not feel as fresh as yesterday (probably because my masseur did a lot of deep tissue gouging) so I kept the pace nice and steady but still managed to pick up some speed. Started in the 10:20s and ended just under 10.

Rest day tomorrow although I will have that tough intermediate yoga class... Hopefully nothing that will impact my performance on Saturday. image

• Options

Today was 10km on treadmill in 38:33, 2km on rowing machine and 4 miles on treadmill in 24:12

Tomorrow will be a rest day ahead of my Park Run on Saturday.

• Options

Cal: Nice job on the 10k today.
    Sub17: Nice running and rowing.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Yet another mile, been a tad busy, would have liked to have done more.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

Hello image

Cal - Good luck with the track race, something I'd like to do but won't be for the foreseeable future. Don't get caught up in anything stupid early on, and I'm sure you'll run a great timeimage

S17 - Some good training this weekimage

Gaz - Shame you didn't get the time you wanted but still a good effort, well doneimage

OH - Well done on the 10 milesimage

Ollie - Hope the interview went wellimage

------------

Done club winter TT on Tuesday, bad idea as it's hurt my achilles a bit more again. Grr, nevermind it's not really any worse now. 8 Wednesday, and an hour this afternoon. Neither hurt too much, but lack of fitness is grim.

Helping at parkrun tomorrow, hopefully get a shortish run in at some point. Running group Xmas night out at night. Terrified to think what I'll get talked into this time, especially as I'm already down for 2 marathons and 2 ultras next year...

• Options

Hey. image

SM6: Nice going on the running, and enjoy the volunteering at parkrun tomorrow.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Another mile squeezed in before the day is out.

Have a good 'un. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

37C forecast today. It was well over 30C during my Park Run and  I felt the heat during my Park Run but I still finished in 17:33 and first place again!