Options

2016 Marathon Training Thread

1868788899092»

Comments

• Options

SM, a quality long run today, with a few rises, well done with the highest mileage total for the year, I am going in the other direction, hopefully a better 2017 will be on the cards.

NP, well done with the double day and the swim and 11 mile run yesterday,

Cal, I hate that sluggish feeling after a break, you'll be fine after a few more runs.

Fiona, well done with the ftp test, it is hard enough on rested legs.

------------

Rest day yesterday and some hill work today with a few miles either side for warm up and cool down, I have forgotten how tough hill repeats can be #unfit.

• Options

SM6 well done on the runs and weights thats a good 16 miles in the bank and looks like a good few races in the New Year.image

Cal you will feel better after a few more runs and get the legs working again.image

SC well done on the hill repeats the fitness will come back.

After yesterdays 11 miles my legs felt like toast this morning and I had to force myself out the door but after a couple of miles I felt ok so 6 miles on the trails done. Early evening was another 6 miles but this time on the roads and flat another six miles banked. I have a race on the 2nd Jan so will take Friday and Sunday as rest days (small swim tomorrow) and do 4 easy miles on Saturday with a few strides. 

• Options

Nice running yesterday NP and some speedy running in there image

Stewart well done on the hill reps - good to hear that you are almost there with the injury. image

Great that your annual mileage is highest ever Stuart and that's a lot of races! image

Cal how far apart are your two marathons? I'm the same after a few days rest, always feel as if I can't run. Seems to get worse with age too image

Ollie, are you still managing to keep the running streak going?

FTP test done on Tuesday night but as planned I did it more as a hard effort but kept the cadence high (average 100 for the 20 minutes) as I don't need cyclists legs with pushing big gears. Wednesday was an easy run and an easy pedal but I did two hours and it was so tiring - still high winds up here. Yesterday was just a 45 minute progressive run and today is rest day image 

F

• Options

Fiona - Sounds a hard effort, well deserved rest day today!image

Stewart - Well done on the hill work, not easy when you're out of shape is it?!image

NP - Well done on the 2 runs yesterday, and the swim today. Hope you have a good race on Sundayimage

----------

30 minutes legs, and 40 minutes on the elliptical in the gym earlier. Tempted to give parkrun a crack again tomorrow, although I also have races the following 2 Saturdays (Road 5k in Edinburgh, then 9k XC the week after) so maybe not.

Yesterdays 16 really done me in more than I expected. Had a shower at half 5, as I was meant to be going out to the pub at half 6. Sat down, and fell asleepimage

• Options

Loch Katrine Running Festival entry opened today
    (so that's another marathon entered!)

Completed last few miles to take me over the 12th 100+ mile month yesterday evening (with kidney stone threatening to scupper target) Very mild evening yesterday but just dreich today.

Good to see everyone keeping/getting going again ... image

• Options

Fiona nice pedal power and running hope the legs are well rested todayimage

SM6 well done on the legs and elliptical trainer, give the park run a go it will help build up the speed, sounds like the sleep was needed. My race is Monday.

OH well done on the 12th month over 100 miles and hope the kidney stone passes soon......

Well just a very easy swim today 30x25m front crawl. Helping out at park run tomorrow then 4 very easy miles with a few strides.

• Options

OH, Well done consistent running through the year, will you be doing the other events again next year?

SM, nice bit of cross training, the silver lining is the lack of hangover today image

FM, a deserved rest day after the ftp session and well done with the progressive run, 

NP, another good double day, good luck with the first race of 2017

------------

An easy 5,which didn't feel easy running into the wind and the hill reps still in the legs, I am not sure if I'll run tomorrow but will do 8 - 10 miles on Sunday.

• Options

Stewart - Well done on the 5 miles. It never feels easy in the wind!image

NP - Good wee swim yesterdayimage

OH - Well done on completing the setimage

--------

Legs feel a bit beaten up after the gym yesterday so not expecting fireworks at parkrun this morning!image

Since I've time the now (and probably won't when I come back in) I'll post a quick review of the year. 

From the first page of the thread I had hoped for:
    18:40 5km (currently 19:27)
    38:30 10km (39:47)
    86:30 HM (95:09)
    3:15 marathon (4:01)

Slightly disappointing that I only ticked off the 10k (38:21image) and HM (83:55image) but I did manage 18:45 flat 5k, and a 19:04 on a slow course. I actually think I was close to 18:00 shape at one point in the summer, but I don't have much opportunity to run a flat 5k too often so a proper representative 5k PB still eludes me.

The marathon was an outstanding disappointment once again. 3:34:xx was a significant PB but  again I couldn't understand why my legs felt utterly spent before halfway, despite the pace being sensible (I went through halfway 9:30 slower than I had ran at Alloa) I couldn't keep it up. Frankfurt was going to redeem me, and then I got injured...image

Outwith road running, it seems I've been enticed to the dark side after an enjoyable weekend at the Glenmore 24. So off road and a bit longer next year, it might actually be easier on my achilles tooimage

It's hard to say if this has been a great/good/ok/bad year. My massive positive in the shape of my HM time at Edinburgh is totally negated by the fact I've been injured (and still am) for months. I've ran my highest ever mileage (it'll be 2236ish?), but it's ended about 3-400 lower than I was expecting in the summer! I think what I can safely say is, that it has been an interesting year!image 

Happy new year everyone, and all the best for 2017imageimage

• Options

Fiona - 7 weeks, which should be fine. Good job on the running and biking.

Good swimming, NP.

Impressive miles, OH. Apparently riding rollercoasters can help with kidney stones, but there aren't many in your neck of the woods, I'm afraid.

Good job on the windy run, Stewart.

Stuart, you've done bloody well considering you've been injured. And 2017 is a whole new year. image

So, my 2016 started with me laid up with a groin strain, but fortunately that didn't stop me from running (slash walking/hobbling and limping) my first marathon in 4:44:37.

From there I discovered parkrun and then settled into my other goal - the sub-2 hour half. I managed that three times during the Autumn, peaking at Ealing with 1:58:02 (which I hadn't expected because I only broke it for the first time at Richmond Running Festival, the previous weekend).

I also set PBs at 5K (25:52), 10K (53:35) and 10 miles (I did get under 90 minutes by my watch at Cabbage Patch, but didn't realise the race was gun time only so I just missed out on that in the results. Annoying!).

For 2017, I'd like to avoid being injured. I am doing two Spring marathons (Brighton and Liverpool) and am aiming for a PB, ideally under 4:30. For the rest, I just hope to keep improving as much as I can, seeing as I turn 50 in June. Yeah, that.

I'd also like to do more parkruns as a tourist.

And speaking of parkrun... I was a bit worried about it as I had such a horrible run on Thursday, so I did 3 miles beforehand to warm myself up (10:25, 10:44, 9:49) then had a stretch. First mile of parkrun wasn't too bad (8:33) but the extra Christmas pounds and general malaise did me no favours as I got slower (8:59) and slower (9:14) to end up with a Garmin time of 27:37, which I think is my slowest time since I first started parkrun in May. Ugh. But at least it was better than Thursday.

Well, I'll have another bash at it tomorrow, as my local is doing a NYD run.

And yeah, I think I'll try for a no sugar January. I've a 10K in three weeks so I need to dump some weight pronto!

• Options

So 2016 running completed

1616 miles

2 parkruns

2 10k races (one PB)

1 12 mile race

5 half marathons

4 marathons

3 ultras

2017 kicks off with kidney stone hopefully getting blasted on Friday (lithotripsy)

LOL Cal but trip on local ferry on bad day would likely rival any rollercoaster!              

• Options

SC well done on the 5 easy miles yesterday, enjoy your first run of the New Year tomorrowimage And hopefully the return to fitness is now on.

SM6 great review of 2016 and looking good for 2017, I know its hard to not get hung up on times but you did a great job lowering your marathon time and there is still a lot more to come. Enjoy the off road stuff but you still have more to remove from the marathon.image

Cal some good PB'S in 2016 and more to come in 2017 image

OH thats a great list of races and also some great results the 10k PB is a great resultimage hope the Kidney stone disappears on image

Well 4 miles easy today, I'm very happy with 2016 and ran a Park run PB of 16:49 and also a marathon PB of 2:55:02. The down side was the loss of fitness due to the slipped disc twice with in six weeks fingers crossed for an injury free 2017image

Happy New Year to everyone, the new room for 2017 is openimage

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year guys.

OH,

Hope that does the trick with the kidney stone.

---------

I don't think I'll be joining next year's marathon thread at the moment. I'm struggling with my knees from that injury in September/October and have an appointment with the doctor next week. I want to get my knee fully better before I even think about starting to run again. Good luck to everyone with their races and marathons next year.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year everyone, I'm off to the new thread image xx
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Pulls the plug and puts out the lights on the Forum bye 2016.