Options

2016 Marathon Training Thread

Opens the door and turns on the light ready for the new Marathon Training Season to Start.

Comments

• Options

Not got out the door yesterday but have entered Snowdonia Marathon and D33 this morning.

• Options

OH - Good manimage Thought about Snowdonia, but I want to do Glen Ogle (if Manchester goes ok) and it's a bit close to do both.

------------

Went out about 11. For maybe 20 seconds, concluded it was too icy and went back into the house. Not went back out yet...

• Options

I am contemplating GO33 too but there's a while before entries open. Snowdonia is now fully booked (2700 in under 12h)

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

An icy start to the day here, 6 offroad miles. Will see if the marathon training goes better this year, Hope to start building the miles soon but may be too late for London.

F

• Options

Earlier post should have read *since* yesterday, however have now corrected that with a wee 4 miler

• Options

OH, Good to see you have entered D33, a cracking ultra by all accounts and it didn't take long for Snowdonia to fill up, nice little 4 miler to kick start the year

SM, icy here too this morning, take care if you do get out

Fiona, well done with the 6  miles today I bet it was easier off road than on it

-------------

I have started the new year with a rest day, normally I would have gone out for a run but I felt a day off was in order.

Goals for 2016

I would like to think I could get a PB this Spring at Manchester, I am going to shoot for sub 3:40, and will also hope to get at least one shot at a HM PB which currently stands at 1:43 a sub 1:40 is the goal for the year time will tell if this is achievable this Spring.

I would also like to have another go at Triathlon, I'll probably look to do another Sprint tri in the Summer  

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, good luck for everyone's goals.

I've already entered 1 race for this year (Bupa 10k in London) last bank holiday in May, have a 2.5 mile race in May and a 5 miler which I think will be early June and then the Club championships in October. I'm also going to be starting to look at heart rate training so any advice which can be given there is gratefully accepted and plan to enter the VLM ballot for next year's race.
  • Options

Stewart - Both looks goals look sensible, no reason why you can't hit them during the year if you can stay fitimage

HM - Good luck training for thoseimage

Fiona - Good to hear from you again, good start to the year with the 6 milesimage

OH - Well done on the 4 miles

----------

Just over 10 done, 8:50 average but felt tougher than I'd like. I seem to to be one of the few that feels best running just shortly out of bed. I hate running after I've eaten, that was 3 hours after I'd had dinner yet my stomach was bouncing all over the place. Really uncomfortable.

Goals for the year:
    18:40 5km (currently 19:27)
    38:30 10km (39:47)
    86:30 HM (95:09)
    3:15 marathon (4:01)image

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

OH Snowdonia Marathon niceimage don't know what D33 is..... well done on the 4 miles.

SM6 hope you got out on your run.

Fiona not too late your cycling will help just go easy on building up the milesimage nice start to the New Yearimage

SC nice plans for 2016 and the swimming will helpimage

HM4 now is a nice time to start building the milesimage Cant give you any advice on HR think you would be better just getting some miles in.

Well first race of the year done image got up this morning and walked the dog, black ice everywhere. Met up with the guys from the club and arrived up the Glens booked in and warmed up in drizzle/hail  before the start we where told that at the top of the first big hill it was very icy. Started ok and right enough at the top of the first hill it was very icy, slowed a little and let a few run away from me. One club mate was four places in front in a group of runners. working down to the bottom of the Glen I was able to open the legs and gain on the group then after a few tight turns the trail heads back up the Glen. Working hard on these hills I managed to pass a couple of people who dropped of the group infant and closed the gap on the group a little. I caught and ran with another 50 year old and managed to put a few yards between us. I was closing on my team mate and the two runners he was with, these guys fell off the pace and I managed to pick them off one at a time. Passing the last one with about half a mile to go. Trying hard now to close the gap on my team mate but was unable to gain anything on him and came in sixteen seconds behind him. 21st Place and 1st in age group and a nice £20 win image This is a great race and a super way to start the year.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SM6 Cross post mate well done on the 10 miles. I feel the same way about running after eating mate. Nice list for 2016image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Well done guys.

SM,

Thanks.

NP,

Thanks, I think I'm running too quickly at the mo which is why I'm giving HR training a go to get the base in.
  • Options

NP - Well done on 1st place in the age group, great running!image

----------------

11 miles with XC session. 2x6 minutes, 4x4, 4x2. Legs gubbed!

• Options

SM, all those times are achievable you have a fair chunk to take off your marathon time but I think you can do it, a good couple of runs an the xc session looks like a tough one.

HM, Tek is the main man with regards to HR training, I am sure he will be along to give some advice

NP, loved the report and congratulations on the age group win image

----------------------

7 miles easy with a little climb up to the duck pond at Craig Dunain, I am going to the football this afternoon to watch Caley play County. 

• Options

12 wet and windy ones done with group this morning.

D33: out and back ultra along Deeside trail from Aberdeen

nice start to the year indeed NP, you too SM6 with 21 in the bank already.

I once made the mistake of taking up the full breakfast before a half - never again! Also, I prefer to leave half an hour after running hard before eating. Can eat for Britain on day following, mind.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SM6 Thats a good 11 miles banked image

SC well done on the 7 miles hope your team won.image

OH thats a good solid 12 done in the wet and wind.image

HM4 not sure if your doing enough miles to worry about it.image

Well helped out at Parkrun this morning in the heavy rain then went home got changed and took the pup up the forest for an easy 6 miles. Spent the rest of the day packing the Christmas decorations awayimage first long run tomorrow image

• Options
    NP enjoy the first LR tomorrow , hope its not raining or blowing a gale. Congrats on more winnings image

Stewart well done on the 7

OH good work on the 12, dont have a problem with eating within about 2 mins of finishing a run.

SM thats a good run in tough conditions, hope your legs bounce back quickly.

18 m this morning @ 7.49 took a while to get going but fairly happy for the first LR of this campaign.
  • Options

MG, a great long run at a good lick

NP, our decorations got packed away today too, it was good of you to help out at parkrun and well done with the easy run in the forest, enjoy the long one tomorrow

OH, sounds like a tough run today better with some company though

--------------

Caley won today 2 - 0 a cracking atmosphere derby games are always fun image probably about 5 miles walking to and from the ground.  

I'm planning 15 tomorrow conditions look to be fair if a little breezy.

• Options

Good luck all and congrats No Pain!

I'm just starting to train for Manchester. Should I convert my watch to miles? Everything I've done to date has been in km (except the halves, but training wasn't as structured for them) and I do favour metric when it comes to calculating times/distances.

• Options

Found you , feeling a bit guilty as no marathon planned but plenty of races comng up

SC have a good 15 miler , the weather has improved a little here hope it has for you also 

MG1 I was chuffed to run my 7.5 at 7.54s today ! your 18 put at that pace me to shame ! ( but I am a granny ) image

NP our decs were also packed away today ! have a good  long run tomorrow 

SM6 ! some acheivable targets Im sure , good luck with those , not a bad pace at all for the 10 in those conditions , I run rubbish  first thing in the morning , god knows how I manage to race really  ! 

OH  I think all these wet windy runs will make us strionger at least thats what I hope ! nice 12 for you

Rob , yes I would  convert to miles , I always run by miles anyway .. even in a 10k race , using the actual pace per mile rather  distance 

First run of the year today , and it had to be done early ! I intended to do 10k at around tempo pace as I have a 10k race in 2 weeks , but due to flooding I had to turn round and ended up doing 7.5 in 59 mins .. 7.54 pace happy with that  as plenty of puddle jumping going on , but my first dry wind free run in days !!! 

• Options

Happy new year all

NP  well done with your race sounds entertaining

OH D33 sounds like a great challenge. I too am goinf for a challenge at the other end. The lahrig ru. (Pools of Dee end)

rob my answers same as NNs 

NN puddle jumping sounds fun

SM6 goals r good particularly like 5k one

SC have fun with that 15. Miler

MG1 great start to year

ran 5km club no walk in park race 21m 38s running steady as very little done. struggling  Shake cough /cold 4wks now might seek medical attention

goals

complete monthly 5k with club (sub 19m 30s)

50km Keswick mountain marathon may

complete 10 cairngorm mountains over 2 days ( 70miles and 19000feet) (June)

chesterfield marathon (September)

• Options

I started 2016 with back to back Park Run wins. I ran 17:04 on Jan 1. and 17:10 on Jan. 2. I have a week to recover with 2 to 3 gym sessions during the week in lead up to next week's Park Run. 

• Options

Thanks both. I switched the watch to miles this morning, but the laps were still counting in km's! Worked out as a nice hybrid while I get used to pacing in minutes per mile

• Options

Rob - I don't think it really makes much difference. I use miles but know plenty who work exclusively in k's. I'd think for half/full maras where the courses are marked in miles it makes sense to use miles. But then, I still use miles at races where the course is marked in k's. As long as you know roughly what time you want to be at each mile marker (don't blindly trust your gps distance!) then it doesn't matter much.image

S17 - Good back to back efforts there!image

Michael - Sound nice plans in their. That Cairngorm circuit sounds both crazy, and fun!image I think it's worth seeing a doc if you've had a cough for so long?

NN - Nice pace for the 7.5image

Stewart - Sounds a good game, hope you managed the 15 todayimage

MG - That's a great LR to start the campaign!image

OH - Nicely done on the 12image

NP - Well done on the 6, hope the long run has been a good oneimage

--------

16.5 miles done, 8:06 average. Windy, and a wee bit hillier route than planned but i got towed along nicely by the 3 others! Nice boost to the confidence.

63 miles for the week, and I think that's 125 in the last 13 days. I think I might have a non-running day tomorrow.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Well done guys.
  • Options

SM, that was a quality long run, you are right to be happy

NN, Well done with the extended run good pace too

MG7, look like you're going to be busy this year that mountain challenge sounds brutal

S17, very consistent times for your parkrun double

----------------

Not long back from my 15 mile run, it felt good up to around 12 miles but then the hip started to play up, I plodded the last two miles home,  

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Great run today Stewart, I hope the hip recovers fast.

Nice to see lots of New Year goals being set.

Well done on the age group win NP image a fantastic start to the year.

Impressively high mileage also Stuart.

Went out on the bike yesterday morning, a calm day in Inverness but over the hill at Leys got blown off, the cross wind was crazy, so we turned back. Only 30 miles but legs mince for the run later, 7.5 slow miles in an hour. 41 miles on the bike this morning. 

F

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

MG1 Thats a great long run in the bankimage

BoB Welcome and a couple on here doing Manchesterimage

NN great run and glad you got out with no wind or rainimage

MG7 any run is hard with no training hope your feeling better soonimage Nice goals foe 2016.

Sub 17 well doneimage

SC thats a good start to the New Year take care of that hipimage

Fiona that wind was brutal out there well done on the bike and the runningimage, hope the foot/ankle is ok. Ive started to wear adidas ultra boost's and noticed a big difference in recovery. Nice to see you back and fingers crossed for a good yearimage

Well just over 12 miles in the worst weather Ive run in for a long long time but 12 miles in the bank @6:59 pace but bloody hard work when running into a wall, legs where blue and feet like blocks of ice soaked to the skin from start to finishimage

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Sounds brutal NP, great pace. image I haven't bought new running shoes for about 2 years so will have a look at the adidas ones. The ankle is ok but not been running much or fast recently. Hope to start upping the mileage this week.

F

• Options

NP - Good running but that sounds grim. image

Fiona - A couple of good wee runs on the bike then! And I wouldn't call 7.5 miles in an hour slow!image

Stewart - Well done on the 15image, hopefully a rest day of 2 will sort the hip out. Mines has been troublesome for a while but not too bad at the moment

----------

Short weights session this afternoon, which seems daft the day of a long run but better for recovery if I do it today instead of tomorrow I think.

Is it just me that gets shoulder trouble while running? That's twice in my last 3 long runs that my shoulder has started to hurt (and a quite a bit too), might need to see about that...

• Options

NP that's a tough run well done mate.. great pace too

SM6 impressive pace for your 16.5. The 75mile Cairngorm round would be crazy as a 24hour job at this point its unrealistic for me. Splitting into two with a bivvy would be possible..... still a challenge???

SC Hope you recover OK from the 15miler... well done

FC good miles on bike and running

11.5 today dodging heavy showers steady 8min 53 sec pace