Options

Sunday February 22nd

just off to bed, but remembered the vaguely appropriate subtitle from a time (and an album) long ago, and thought starting the Sunday thread with it was worth the effort.
With regard to guessing the lyrics: under 30s and those who are not fans of duelling lead guitarists need not apply.

what: easy run with Matthew of about 2½ to 3 miles, then 8½ miles about 1½ hours later by myself
why: Sunday long(ish) run
last hard day: Fri (as it turned out)
last rest day: Mon

good luck anyone still to race this weekend

Comments

• Options
    Morning all.

What: 2 hours easy

Why: long recovery run

Last hard: yesterday's National

Last rest: Weds

Good luck all racers
  • Options
    Morning BR and all,

What - 1/2 marathon here in Valencia

Why - First proper long run since my 1st ever marathon here in Valencia 3 weeks ago!

Last hard - Skiing immediately after marathon in Pyrenees for a week!

Last rest - Yesterday

Have a good day runners - I am a little nervous and having had 2 days of rain, I was praying for more. However already it is clear blue skies (currently 53 degrees;not too bad!) but the race doesn't start for another 2 hours. It's gonna be a hot one for me!

Will let you know if I survived & how I went on later!

Regards, Gareth

• Options
    Morning

What - Sleaford half, should be interesting after yesterdays 20 miler - main target is not to end up in the St Johns ambulance 2 weeks running!

Happy racing.
  • Options
    Rest day for me today
    Last hard: Yesterday

Good luck to all the racers and those running their long marathon training runs
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Good luck Gareth and Popsider with your races and anyone else racing today!

what:20 miles
    why:I've got a 20 mile race in 2 weeks and just need to be confident of racing the distance.
    last hard:Friday
    last rest:from running yesterday, but I did swim.
  • Options
    Morning.

Good luck Popsider at Sleaford!

Gareth hope all goes well at the Valencia 1/2 for you!

MikeB hope the back has rested well last night and not in too much pain.

What: Resting ( But may do a short 3 mile recovery run later )

Why: Longest run to date yesterday 23 miles and really want to be careful as 3 weekends of racing now approaching!

Last Rest: Wednesday

Last Hard: Friday

await for race reports later.

Take care all.
  • Options
    Good luck on your long run Hilly!
  • Options
    morning all,

well done yesterday's national XC racers. A well earned rest fully deserved i would say, or a 2 hr run in BR's case!

what : about 15-16 miles
    why : LSD
    last hard : fri
    last rest : sat

good luck racers, gareth, popsider and others.
  • Options
    morning all,

Quick visit before work.

Good luck to Popsider, finish the race first today before you start chatting up the St.John's lady!

Gareth, I don't envy you in the heat, hope it goes well.

Beautiful day here, I'm envious of all those doing their long runs today but rest I will.
    Back later to read the reports.
  • Options
    Morning all.........

What: Winchester 10K
    Why: what sort of question is that???
    Last hard: Friday
    Last rest: 6 days

Best of luck to Gareth and Popsider in your races today. I'm sure the heat's a pain in Valencia but looking out of my window this morning I wouldn't mind swapping places with Gareth :o)

Report later..........
  • Options
    Morning all,

What: 5m easy done, something longish later (about 14-16m, but will make it up as I go along)
    Why: why not?
    Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: yesterday

Right, I'm off to catch up on yesterday's thread.

Have a good one.
  • Options
    Morning

Good luck Popsider, Gareth and Northern Exile in your respective races (and of course anyone else racing today

What: 2¼ hour run
    Why: ?!!!!

• Options
    Good luck also to Popsider Gareth NE & other racers

what: 12 miles slow
    why: recover from yesterday & scheduled long run in build up to future half marathons

Will be happy completing 8 the way my legs feel. Anything over that is a bonus :o)
  • Options
    Morning everyone

What:1hr and what ever takes my fancy
    Why: Trying to build stamina again

Good luck to all racers...and to BR, who I now see is insane ;)

Have a good day all!
  • Options
    Morning !

Feeling smug making the second post after Aardvark for a run completed !! Good luck racers.

What:- 20 miles, 2 hr 33 around the undulating Windsor Great Park - second half faster but feeling it now. Very bizzare running in a Royal Park listening to Blackadder on the MP3 player - puts everything into context !! Thought I saw Percy poncing about a couple of times, but turned out to be cyclists.

Last hard : yesterday (hills)

1.5 kilos lighter at the end, despite drinking 1.5 litres on the way round and a litre since. Amazing given the cold weather.

• Options
    2 hour run done. 7:20 average, slow up to 11 miles then put in a few faster ones to boost confidence.

Ave HR for run was 147, about 5 bpm higher than would normally be the case at this pace.

Looking forward to the race reports.
  • Options
    Good morning

Good luck racers, Gareth, Popsider and all others

Still feeling not right but knew I had to do a recovery run so 40 minutes done 4 miles legs found it tough!!!will rest as heart rate up .

Last hard yesterday

Good luck all you long runners today as well as all you national stars!!
    well done MR C
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Afternoon all

Good luck to the racers (I dunno, out in Valencia and moaning about the rain and the heat, there's just no pleasing some people!)

And here's hoping yesterday's championshippers aren't feeling the aches and pains too much.

I had an EXCELLENT sesh today. All targets met and then some.

What: gentle plod LSD, 17 miles, out and back route. Target time 2hr 45 mins, with a negative split. Did 2hr 43, with return leg 2 mins quicker than outward, final mile "sod the hrm let's kick for home". Average hr for the entire run was 66 per cent.
    Why: incrementing the distance, last week's was 15.6 miles.

Best of all, at the end I felt really good, could have gone further and faster. We'll see at next weekend's Bramley 20.

Woo-hoo!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    WP-just read your report from yesterday. Well done you for sticking it out, take care now and REST!

I did 20 LSD this morning in 2.45. Was running into the wind for the first 15 miles, which ended up giving me a headache! The last 5 coming back were bliss with the wind behind.

The sea front was the worse bit! I couldn't believe seeing 3 people swimming in the sea and even more disbelief that they weren't wearing wetsuits! And there's me moaning of the wind in my face!

My left leg is feeling it a bit now. This run was the one I was using to determine whether to do the 20 mile league race in 2 weeks. I'm still not sure what to do!
  • Options
    hello again

trailgauge tells me my 12 miler was 11.5, although that does not allow for ups and downs (not that many though).

Completed in 1h28 which is reasonable enough as this was a slow recovery. Ran first ten miles with clubmates (loop of almost 6 then 2 mile park laps x2), then added an extra lap on my own, and was able to pick up the pace at this point which was nice to know.

Hilly - see how your leg feels tomorrow, then decide. If you are running 20 now though, carefull prep should allow you to run the race.

Back for race reports later

Andy

• Options
    Afternoon all,

What: Gentle 8 mile as leg still a bit tender and will have hour massage this pm

Simon
  • Options
    Afternoon all.

Fab efforts in the muck yesterday - best of luck on the roads today, everyone.

The bad news - couldn't find a race near me today. :-(
    The good news - it's six in the next six Sundays to follow! :-)

Today I shall be idly contemplating a recovery run after the LSD* yesterday. But will almost certainly not try one because it's plainly madness.

Have fun.

----
    * - the running type, honest!
  • Options
    Back from Winchester.........

Not the ideal start to a race! Got there with only 20 mins to spare and found out the start line had been moved. By the time I'd found it the race was due to start so no time for a warm up. Freezing/windy conditions so a warm up wouldve been nice!

Anyway.......aiming to go sub 36 today or at least beat my PB of 36:31 from 2 weeks ago

1K: 3:34- on target although my plan to run with the first lady went out of the window when she dropped me after 500m!!!

2K: 3:37- happy with this- settling into a good rhythm now. no group to run with so no shelter from the wind

3K: 3:36- bang on target :o)

4K: 3:45- slowing a bit but this was uphill so not too bad.

5K: 3:33- includes a nice downhill where i pass the guy who i've been chasing for the last km. 5K in 18:08 is well on target for a PB and possibly sub 36 if i have a good run from here.

6K: 3:46- another hill and more exposed conditions. the next runner is 200m ahead so still noone to tuck in behind. check my HRM to find im coasting along at 176 and i should be at 182. concentrate!

7K: 3:52- slowest km yet. still hilly and exposed. no chance of sub 36 now.

8K: 3:40- improving and making ground on the runner in front- if i concentrate on catching him it should make for a fast last couple of km

9K: 3:33- includes a fast downhill back into winchester :o) only 30m from catching him now.

10K: 3:30- got him in my sights and pass him with about 250m to go. kick hard so he can't stay with me and go over the line in 21st place and (by my watch) in 36:30 which MIGHT be a PB by just one second but as my times always seem to get rounded up i've probably equalled what i ran at chichester.

Pretty disappointed to not have even got close to 36 mins but considering the strong wind, lack of warm up and having only raced less than 48 hrs ago it's not bad I spose? 4 weeks til my next 10K now so plenty of time to improve!

And YES......the "girl" whipped my ass coming home in a VERY impressive 35:05 ;-)

• Options
    nice one northern exile! and cool report too.

17 miles for me - furthest i've ever run. i managed 3.04 which i'm pretty happy with and finished feeling ok.

tired now though

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well run NE!

I should think the conditions weren't really conducive for pb's, so come your next 10k I'm sure that time will be bettered!

Well done on your longest run M. It feels good doesn't it when you go further than you've ever done before.
  • Options
    afternoon all,

What: 20M run, done after getting back from London this morning.

Why: time on feet

Last hard: Let me think!
    Oh yes it's was that very tough xc yesterday!

I found it so very hard & impossible for me to run in those conditions :-(
    Had a great time charging up that hill at the start with over 1400 other runners it's just an amazing thing to do!
    I worked hard but got nowhere really
    748th not my best but I'm happy with it :-)

Have not caught up with everybody's training for the last few day's but will try!

Tim
  • Options
    Great run NE (and the girl - that's a seriously fast time).

22 miles for me - right foot playing up, shins hurt, not a good run, and yet somehow I just kept cranking out the miles. :o)
  • Options
    Yes Well run NE

Did my run
    12.18 miles in 2:12:02 @ 10:50 pace kept HR under 148 for most of run except for some headwinds.
    Up to a few weeks ago my avg pace would be between 11:00 and 11:30

Followed by a nice cold bath after stretching of course.
  • Options
    Great report NE. You can't run a pb every week (or even every day in your case)! It was hilly, windy and 2 days after a race and you were still bang on your pb.

Tim, what conditions?:-)

I heard some of the southern guys were saying it was too hilly. The hills were fine by me, it was the sludge put me off.
  • Options
    Right, so what's happening here? Didn't manage to get on-line at all yesterday so got some catching up to do.

What: 6 miles steady
    Why: that's all I had time for
    Last hard: LSD Friday
    Last rest: Saturday

Catch you later