Options

Sunday February 22nd

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done for yesterday BT and doing another 20 miles today. You're joining BR in the lunatic brigade!:o)

rhb-thanks! As the entry closes this week I'll send off the entry and then I suppose I'm committed. Don't know what's wrong with me lately. I normally don't hesitate with entering races. I suppose it's because I know I'm still harbouring a few niggles which I don't want to get worse!

XFR Bear-that sounds familiar! Well done, you can at least feel pleased with the distance!
  • Options
    Well done NE, this race still show's you can go faster.

M. it's a nice feeling getting those miles in

hilly, I'm afraid I think your best option is to miss the 20M if your planning on racing it. Take time to get some fitness back in the bank, other wise you could suffer in the comeing months.
    Playing catch up all the time isn't fun!
    Although having said that it was very windy here by the coast so it's not easy to gauge how well your running in those conditions.
    I was getting wet from the sea spray & it's not usually that bad here!

100 miles ran this week & legs feeling good, even after that xc yesterday!
  • Options
    BR, hills are part of the racing but that sludge, just stops me!
    Still it's the same for everybody :-)

XFR, today in that wind nobody is going to feel great, so don't worry too much!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all. Race report from the Snake Lane 10 miler near York this morning.

Stayed in last night giving precautionary treatment to lower leg which has been giving me problems this week. Massage, 'The Stick', heat treatment, the lot. It seems to have worked as I didn't get any bother from it today.

Conditions far from ideal. Why is it that all week there has not been enough wind to blow a feather around, come race day we have a 20mph wind? PB conditions these were not, but I kept an open mind. 64:48 to beat, set 2 years ago on this course

Fortunately the first 5 miles would be into the wind, the last 5 mainly wind assisted.

Mile 1..6:44 Just to add to the headwind we have a blizzard blowing. Charming!

Mile 2..6:25 That's better, at least I have settled into a decent pace.

Mile 3..6:22 Still tough going but good progress.

Mile 4..6:57 A very exposed part of the course, thought I was going backwards at one point!

Mile 5..6:17 A slightly sheltered mile. 5 miles in 32:45, there is work to do.

Mile 6..6:04 The 1st mile with wind assist and I get a bit carried away!

Mile 7..6:19 By now I am starting to think that with a bit of application a PB may be on.

Mile 8..6:32 Pleased with this as this mile involves a long steady climb.

Mile 9..6:40 Another mile with a hill! 9 miles in 58:20. Quick mental arithmetic tells me sub-6:28 is required for the last mile to achieve a PB. At least this one will be flat.

Mile 10..6:08 Just go for it I tell myself. Very pleased with this finale. get passed by 2 runners but overhaul them in the last 400m.

Finish..64:28, PB by 20 seconds. Delighted with that in windy conditions.

Finished 69th out of 600+

PM..4 miles easy

2nd minor triumph of the day..unless I am very much mistaken the lyrics are from the Wishbone Ash 'Argus' album, track 'Throw Down The Sword'. You could have guessed a fellow V45 would get it Mike!

A big hand to fellow forumite Mark Harris who ran a stunning 63:10 today, also a PB. He has had to go to work this afternoon so so may not be able to post.

Great effort in your 10K NE, I am sure a PB will come in calmer conditions.

Well done to the long run people as well, BT, Hilly, BR & co, not the best day for it.

I will celebrate later with full Sunday roast which I won in a pub raffle this week!

Have a good day everyone.

• Options
    Hello folks, I survived!
    NE - a great run - unfortunately my report won't be quite as detailed!
    M - a good distance;good time!
    For me well, managed my 1/2 in 1hr 45, 21 secs - worked out at 1km every 4mins 59secs, so I cannot complain!
    Again, another lonely race but that's my fault 'cause I cannot speak the lingo, but I enjoyed it.
    For those of you travellers, I really recommend a race here in Valencia (or probably Spain!)
    To enter the race was free and at the end you received today a sweatshirt, T-Shirt, trophy, plus the other little bits e.g.chocolate, oranges, energy drinks, etc.
    Also water stops every 5km or less so no problem with the liquid intake!
    After completing the race, it was straight to the bar for a quick beer and then I just 'carried on the motion' at my friend's house! Now, I am a little worse for wear! But I like the beer!
    I am now looking forward to London - I was a little worried after my 1st marathon (3 weeks ago) thinking that I'd have 'burnt out', but now I am raring to go!
    Hope you all enjoy the weekend, I certainly will, and also have a 'rest day' tomorrow so have an excuse for more beer, amongst other things!

Regards all,

Gareth
  • Options
    Wardi - another detailed report & great run- Fantastic! (unlike mine!)

Gareth
  • Options
    Great racing NE, Wardi, Gareth and everyone else.

Well, I just had the most enjoyable run I can remember for ages. Set out for a long run without any clear idea of where I was going (or how far) and just ran for the fun of it. Glorious weather on some of my favourite trail routes: blissful. Ran for 2:06 according to the watch, and a quick measurement on the OS map gives about 16.5 miles - I reckon more like 17 as the map smoothes out a lot of the bends, and the piece of string I measured it with takes off even more.

Great to get out on days like this and remind myself that I run because I enjoy it.

Hope everyone else's training and racing is going well.
  • Options
    What: long run, but couldn't do it due to yesterday's XC Championships.
    Why: no life left in legs, so gave it up as bad job. Legs need a rest.

Last hard: the XC
    Last rest: Wednesday

That XC was weird, I can feel all parts of body aching that don't usually. My shoulders are aching? Possibly from swinging the arms more? Legs don't want to move much either!

• Options
    Nettle Lover,

Have a long, hot bath & then some alcohol!!!

Hope you're better soon!

Congrats for the XC yesterday!
  • Options
    Sleaford Half Report

Wasn't sure about doing this one after a 20 miler yesterday - I know some people knock 20 milers out like they are nothing but 20 miles for me is still a reasonably big deal and I'd normally take a rest day after.

Haven't got my exact splits as Alison has run off with the Garmin FOrerunner so apologies for lack of detail.

Original plan was to go for a pb here - sub 1.27 - and then sub 1.25 at Doncaster. After illness, injury and 20 miler yesterday I was looking for a minimum sub 7 minute miling and anything else was a bonus.

Mile 1 - very windy conditions - go out conservatively at about 7 minute miling
    Mile 2 - 5 Turn into the face of a gale, and then onto a rutted, muddy, uphill track still into the face of a gale. Down to 7.30 miling and at points the Garmin showed over 8 minute miling. Really just a case of hanging in and not very pleasant.
    About mile 5 we turned and we are running in calmer conditions on a country road. Suddenly it was like a normal half marathon and pace increased to about 6.45 ish.
    Miles 6-9 Running on my own at about 6.45ish on nice country roads with the wind at my back - although it was quite sheltered so we didn;t get the benefit of being blown along by the gale. Fairly undulating but nothing too hilly.
    Mile 9-12 Someone comes alongside and run with him at about 6.30-40ish.
    12-13 Get dropped and someone else passes me - still going about 6.20-30ish now.
    Finish on the RAF track - one full 400m lap - take the last guy to pass me back and one other - if only the whole race had been on the track!
    Finishing time was 1.29 and a half or thereabouts - forgot to stop the watch.

All in reasonably pleased - I knew I was sacrificing this race to get my London training in but glad I did it now. My knee is rather sore and stiff but that's all - and I know that is going to clear up today because it always does - and I've managed nearly 60 miles this week when it was looking at being another sub 40.

It's a very nice race and one I'd recommend. The wind was a real problem today and was probably worth a minute on my time. The only real gripe would be the long section of muddy track - it wouldn't stop me running this again but without it it would have been right up there with my favourite halfs - certainly well organised and a pleasant course and I always love a finish on an athletics track. Did have a look out for the St Johns lady but she must have been on a day off - ah well!
  • Options
    Some cracking performances yesterday and today.

SiT, Mike B, hope your injury woes evaporate ASAP.

BR + BT, great running at the National, well done.

WP, great run yesterday, nice one.

NE, solid run mate, it was blowing like hell today and certainly far from ideal PB conditions, so equalling your PB in the wind is a cracking run.

Wardi, awesome going, well pleased for you.

Gareth, great run, I'm stunned you put a race performance like this in so soon after the marathon, amazing.

What: 23M in 2:45
    Why: Steady paced long one as part of FLM preparation.
    Last hard run: Thursday
    Last rest day: Friday
  • Options
    Popsider, great run, incredible that you ran that time after 20M yesterday, congrats
  • Options
    Thanks Gareth M (or whatever), I had a long bath, just need to do some nice long stretches tonight.

Oh, and yes, a few drinks of the nice beer stuff, although not too much as it's the first day back tomorrow after half term. Ever tried teaching little kids with a hangover? (me not them). Bad idea!

• Options
    3 hours 15 of LSD hell in weather not fit for a dog.

Thighs are chaffed and body knackered. If anyone upsets me at work tomorrow I'm gonna kill 'em!

Windier than Bernard Manning's jockstrap. Jeez.

And it's getting colder from Tuesday onwards :-(

Poxy country.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Wardi on the pb! More to come off then in more favourable conditions!

Glad you had a good run to Gareth and impressed that the race is free with those goodies at the end!

I love runs like that Aardvark makes you want to just keep running!

I still can't get rid of my headache from running into the wind today.

BT-thanks for your advice and you're most probably right, but I'm going to do it for the league points as one of my aims this year is to complete all 10 races. I'm not going to race it though.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done popsider. I don't think I could do a half marathon after doing 20 miles the day before!

LOL Bryan! I've got wind chap under my arms of all places and I had a long sleeved top on.
  • Options
    My sympathies Bryan.

You have clearly had a similar long run experience to myself today.

Poxy marathon training ! (can't wait to get back to halfmarathons - a sensible sort of distance).
  • Options
    well done racers for all this weekend - especially those in the National in both Scotland and England. And well done to England in the rugby. entertaining game.

Anyway, I did 16 miles on my return from Atomic Kitten, up round Beecraigs in 1:47:34 - the time makes me think I've measured wrong cause that seems a little fast! Maybe its more like 15.5 or something. Who knows. Who cares? It was a good run anyway.
  • Options
    Fanks for the sympathy LW and hilly - crossing that finishing line in Rotterdam will be sooooo sweet.

There's 5 or 6 marathons I want to do after this and then it's back to halves for me. not sure if my body's up to the punishment!
  • Options
    Wardi, Gareth, popsider good racing after what you've been through in the last 1-3 weeks!

Nettle Lover, after my best National at Bristol, I really struggled the day after even walked up one hill. Didn't tell my clubmates who all stayed in the hotel!

MM, thats a good run to have under your belt!

Bryan, train hard for the marathon & race it easy! well sort of!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    congrats on the PB wardi
    well done to graham and NE for their races

and to all those doing long runs in this weather

i wimped out on the treadie
    10 miles
    thats a little over 24 niles for this week---hm better be a stepdown week

legs almost back to normal
  • Options
    popped back to say a belated congrats to BR, BT, nettle lover and all other national XC runners. Nice one guys.

congrats on your pb wardi! a tough day for it too.

and nice one too popsider and gareth on your 1/2s. sounds like a lovely race popsider - i'll definitely bear it in mind for next year.

conditions were bad today. i do my long runs around the local villages but it is quite high up and can be very exposed. rain and wind as expected but at one point i was running along shielding the side of my face from the hailstones! so i know where you are coming from bryan and lynne - hope you are both recovered etc

hilly - you are so right - increasing the distance leaves an enormous feeling of achievement (along with being a bit on the tired side!) and thank you big tim and gareth - i'm definitely feeling happy now i've recovered and had some food!

• Options
    popsider
    im amazed you even managed to run a half after a 20 miler, let alpne do the time you did
  • Options
    Evening all.

Cracking stuff again all!

MM I done the same time yesterday for 23 miles what time are you aiming for for FLM im not in marathon training but it would seem by the time I ran in training yesterday I reckon I could get near sub 3hrs!

Well done BT on XC, seems a bit of a free for all, how was friday night, I was gonna pop along!

Great running Gareth on your half, well done!

Popsider good running too from hitting a 20 miler yesterday as well.

Wardi well done on the PB!

Hilly and Bryan well done on the LSD today!

to be cont.......
  • Options
    Cont......

Mr C well done on your long run today too!

Muttley well done on your distance as well, so you should be chuffed!

Pammie well done to you on time spent on your feet!

NE well done on what seems a tough one, hope you get that PB!

XFR you too like many others have done well today in managing long runs in horrid winds, well done!

M well done on your longest distance to date!

Tried to include all, but thread is now so big and so impressive a big well done to all and everyone that I have missed - sorry!

Have a good night

• Options
    Wow!

Hilly, you have to do something stupid at least once a week to get noticed on here, what with people running 20 milers followed by HMs, XC races followed by 20 milers, pbs in 20mph winds etc. etc. :-)

Nice work Wardi. Seems a shame that there aren't more flat 10 milers around here. Do you know of any?

MM - good stuff, just what I need to be popping out for the next 2 Sundays...
  • Options
    Benz you did a soddin' ultra last week (35 miles), of course it's an easier week this week!

Thanks Speedie :o)

Congrats to all the whippets and not so whippety peeps
  • Options
    evening all

first of all congratulations to Wardi on your double success - a PB in what were definitely not conducive conditions - and correctly identifying Wishbone Ash's "Throw Down The Sword"!

Some other great runs too - if you didn't crack your 10K PB today NE, I'm sure it'll go soon.
    Also well done Popsider & Gareth on your halves.

Visually a lovely day here - nice & sunny - but the wind was cold, gusty and unhelpful. Matt wasn't at his best on our early outing, and my 8½ miler unfortunately involved coming back into the wind. Was hard going and ultimately quite demoralising - took nearly 66 minutes in the end.
    Must see if I can come up with a course that goes out in an easterly direction for days like these.

So anyone who's managed longer than an hour out there (and it seems there've been quite a few) has my utmost admiration -especially if it rained/hailed/snowed as well!
  • Options
    Evening All

Well done Wardi on you pb in tough conditions

Hilly do the race in 2 weeks but run it a little slower than you were planning.

M - congratualtions on completing your 17 miler today

MM - a good time for your mileage today

Popsider - a top quality time on top of your 20 miler yesterday

plus congratulations to everybody running or racing today.

What: 10 mile cycle, 5 miles XC race, 10 mile cycle am, 18 miles pm
    Why: Mileage building

Have a good day everybody
  • Options
    Wow! Some really inspirational stuff going on here today.
    Great time PS especially considering you ran a 20 the day before!
    Really good report Gareth, is it time to lay back and enjoy the nice weather now?
    Some fab races from everyone and much admiration going to everyone who trained hard in these awful conditions too.

Me, I just played 'Go Fish' and 'Snap' indoors and a spot of footy in the back yard!

See you all tommorrow