Options

Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Nells and RR. We knew it was coming, he's been in a bad way since early December and we've known since then there was nothing else that could be done but try to make him as comfortable as possible.

I'm just back from the physio. It appears I have hamstring tendinopathy. I've been told not to run for a week and do some strengthening exercises. No speedwork when I return to training and will need to reduce the miles I've been doing. Looks like Paris will be a try to get healthy for the start line and forget about gunning for a time. 
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hi Eggyh73, so sorry to hear about your cousin. Look after yourself, maybe not running will give you sometime with your family? I am sorry. 
  • Options
    bonjour everyone ,  bored at work so came on here to see what ive been missing , sorry to hear about your cousin Eggy  
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss, Eggy. Perhaps your hamstring will provide a good distraction. 
  • Options
    Thanks all.

Alan - Thanks for the information. I'm back at the physio on Wednesday, so I should have a better idea of what I can do after that. I'm doing some strength work just now and plan to go for a couple of swim sessions to try and maintain a bit of cardio fitness.
  • Options
    Baldstan - did you get booked in for Reading?
  • Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Coming late to conversation and not liking the new RW. Sorry for your loss Eggy, I'm sure it also doesn't help that you're injured. I am still dealing with knee issues so you are in good company!
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Hello

Can I join you? I think you are all far more "proper runners" than me but hopefully you won't mind an interloper. 

I'm very worried as I'm not really a runner, just a plodder who had a mid-life crisis at hitting her 40th birthday so entered the Paris marathon. I've always wanted to do one but I have to say my normal running distance is a considerably shorter 5km. I'm also slow. Add into that that I have two young children, one of whom is a baby, and work long hours and the whole training for a marathon isn't going as well as I'd hoped.

I've been worrying myself this morning about the 6 hour cut off time as I was actually aiming for six hours ... I really don't want to do it and not get a time or medal. 

I'm up to 12 miles training runs at the weekend but they take me about 2 hours 45 minutes (running the whole way although I think I'd be quicker doing some walking and faster running stints). During the week I'm limited to 3 miles in my lunch break and one longer 6 mile run one evening.

I'm feeling in a mild state of panic at the moment. 
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    I should add I'm in the pink pen (4.30+) but only because there wasn't a slower one, number 75540.

The only other race I'm entered into is the Hastings Half Marathon. 

In your real runners opinions is this race even doable for somebody like me?
  • Options
    Katey - Don't worry about it. You'll get there. We've had people come in over six hours in previous years and they all got their medal. Anyone who gets from the start to the finish is a real runner.

The first marathon is always daunting. I've completed a fair few now and still get moments of thinking I can't do this. 

A run/walk strategy isn't a bad idea. It might be worth trying out on one of your long runs to see if it makes you feel a bit better.
  • Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Katey welcome! I did it last year in 6:22 and I got a medal. It's the finishing that makes it, don't worry about plodding I do it all the time!
  • Options
    Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi Katey. What they said. The thing to aim for at this stage is time on your feet. A deliberate run/walk strategy is a good way to do this. It's much easier, say, to run for 9 minutes and walk for one, than run until you can't any more and be forced to take a walk break. I recommend doing all your long runs like that from now on - experiment to see what works for you, whether it's 9/1, or 4/1, or even 25/5. I've done many long runs like that, and I can absolutely guarantee that if you stick to that not only will you finish you'll be overtaking people at the end who went off too quick. 

Also - anyone who can run 12 miles is most definitely a 'real runner', whatever that is  ;)
  • Options
    Also, this will be my 6th Paris, and I ran the first one aged 41, so I think you'll be just fine!
  • Options
    Hi all, I'm new to this forum and to marathons - Paris 2017 will be my first. A quick question - does anyone know whether it's possible to change one's pen/bib zone after registration, and if so how to do it? I was a bit cautious when I registered a few months ago, having never done more than a half. Now that I've got a few training miles under my belt I'm a bit more confident about the time I can realistically aim for.
  • Options
    Hi Katey, welcome to the forum. I can't add anything to Eggy, TBO2 and Running Rodent's advice, except to say that anyone who works long hours, has a young child and a baby, and still gets out to run 3 miles in their lunch break sounds like a 'real runner' to me. Just be warned, entering marathons, especially Paris, can become a habit. As RR's last post shows...

Pistol101
    , I was about to sign up for Reading (I think entries close on Tuesday if anyone's thinking about it), but my ex is away that weekend as well, so going to have to miss that one too. At least I hadn't paid the entry fee. Not sure I'm going to get in a Half race before Paris, but managed to do my first 20 mile slow run today so relieved to have managed that. I was on an unlit path in the dark for the last 3 miles, so concentrating on not tripping over was a good distraction.

However, List Fairy, I should be free to run on May 29th so can you add me to the Vitality London 10K? See you there. Also the Harvel H5 on 3rd June and Richmond Half Marathon on 17th September.

Sorry to hear about your cousin Eggy. I hope the physio can come up with some exercises to deal with your hamstring pain in time for Paris.
  • Options
    JayZedJayZed ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    (Duplicate post)
  • Options
    JayZed - You can change pen at the expo when you pick up your bib. There's a desk for doing that at the expo. It's only for the fastest pen you'd need proof of a qualifying time in order to change.
  • Options
    kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and the reassurance that I can do this (and might even be a runner). 

Given that I'm just aiming to complete, what sort of distance do you think I should be getting up to? I was following the Bupa marathon plan for beginners but I'm not sure it's going to be enough miles on my legs. Not that I can imagine doing a single step over 14 miles after this weekend (I work in km and I realised my 12 was actually 14 yesterday!).
  • Options
    Thanks Eggy, that's good to know. Katey, if you're doing 14 miles with seven weeks to go I reckon you're on track. If you can work up to about 18-20 miles about three to four weeks from now, and then taper off a bit, you'll be fine. (Although of course you may not want to take advice from a man who's never actually run a marathon before... what do I know?!)
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Hi Katey, and welcome to the forum. Paris was my first marathon in 2014, which I ran in 5:40 with plenty still coming behind me. Knowing nothing, I of course went out flying at the start and then stumbled over the finish line at the end thinking I needed to cover as much ground as quickly as possible before the wheels fell off. So my advice from experience is to take it easy the start! RR is very wise with her Run/Walk tip - some people do indeed find they can finish much faster this way with a short walk recovery, but like she also says you'd need to try it in training and stick to the timings. You're doing really well to be running 14 miles non stop already though, so if you're happy with this, then stick with it.

Also, do stick around here. We usually arrange a few meet ups over the course of the weekend, including before the start in the morning and the pink and grey pens have been known to sneak off for a very civilized coffee and nice proper toilets round the corner whilst those speedy types have to rush off to the front pens for an earlier start. There are advantages to being slow after all. Having done the start on my own the first year, and then with this lot the next year, the with company option is always better!
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    If anyone would like an event added to the list, just mention 'List Fairy' and I'll add you in for the following week...

Feb 26: Brighton Half Marathon - EHN. Heartbreaker Half Marathon - AspirantRunner. Cambridge Boundary Run Marathon - Smudgerncfc.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 5: Pafos Marathon - Andy-W-. Milton Keynes 20 miles - Chris 1875, Pistol101. St Helens 10K- ryantilley.
    Mar 12: Bath half - Chris 1875. Southend-on-Sea Marathon - kenno. North London Half Marathon - ryantilley, Pistol101, Nells. Barcelona Marathon - Nodster.
    Mar 19: Reading Half - The Jimbob, Pistol101. Alloa Half - KennyM.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 2: Manchester Marathon - Andy-W-, Karen Bowman 2, Chris 1875. Bungay Black Dog Marathon - Smudgerncfc.
    Apr 3: Betzza’s Birthday.
    Apr 7-17: Marathon des Sables - Dannirr, Nodster.
    Apr 9: Paris Marathon
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr 17: Boston Marathon - Slinkyminky. Chasewater Easter egg 10k - Chris 1875.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday. London Marathon - The Jimbob, agentpenguin, LeggyMountbatten, Smudgerncfc, chris 1875. Hamburg Marathon - KennyM.
    Apr 24: Picklelily's birthday.
    Apr 26: Nells' birthday.
    Apr 30: Birmingham 10k - chris 1875.
    May 1: Milton Keynes Marathon.
    May 7: Lichfield half marathon - chris 1875.
    May 14: Leeds Half Marathon - Andy-W-. Draycote water half marathon - chris 1875.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 20: TBO2's birthday.
    May 27: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Nodster.
    May 28: Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon - Andy-W-, Orbutt, LeggyMountbatten. Liverpool Rock n Roll Half - Chris 1875.
    May 29: Vitality 10,000 - The Jimbob, Nells, TBO2, baldstan.
    Jun 1: Penny71’s birthday.
    Jun 2: Eggy's birthday.
    Jun 3: Harvel H5 - baldstan.
    Jun 6: Comrades - Nodster, Running Rodent.
    Jun 11: Bahtat marathon - Karen Bowman 2.
    Jun 23: Nodster’s birthday.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday. Wythall & Hollywood 10k - chris 1875.
    Jul 1: Birmingham black country half marathon - chris 1875.
    Jul 8: Timbermonger 10k - chris 1875.
    Jul 9: Leeds 10k - Andy-W-.
    Jul 20: Meadower's birthday.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Aug 4: Uisge Jo's birthday.
    Aug 6: York 10K - Andy-W-.
    Aug 18: Andy W’s birthday.
    Sep 4: Benign Murmurring's birthday.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 17: Worcester 10k - chris 1875. Richmond Half Marathon - baldstan.
    Sep 24: Berlin Marathon - Slinkyminky, LeggyMountbatten, chris 1875, Smudgerncfc, baldstan, 1992km.
    Sep 26: Hayley B's birthday.
    Oct 6: Slinkyminky's birthday.
    Oct 8: Yorkshire Marathon - Andy-W-, Chris 1875. Chicago Marathon - Nodster, Nells, The Jimbob.
    Oct 15: Birmingham Marathon - Chris 1875, LeggyMountbatten, AspirantRunner.
    Oct 22: Great South Run - Loubella.
    Oct 30: Orapidrun's birthday.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.

Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 30: Stuchbury's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 3: Betzza’s Birthday.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr: Two Oceans
  • Options
    Hi all, sorry to arrive plus tard

My 7th consecutive Paris this Spring, it never fails to deliver.

Anyone else notice the route changes (apologies if this has been discussed previously)?
  • Options
    What are the route changes?

I just had a quick look at the course map and from what I can see it looks the same as every other year.
  • Options
    As far as I can tell from the low-detail route map on their site, there are changes in Bois de Boulogne approach (Ave Exelmans rather than Rue Molitor, Suchet rather than Fortifications) and then around Mile 25?
  • Options
    Good spot Dom. They've chopped the part around the tennis centre and then added the extra distance back in towards the end of the park. It's probably not a bad thing as the final road before you enter the park was really busy.
  • Options
    Yes, if this change loses that nasty chicane/ bend just prior to an unwelcome little incline into the park, then that's all good!

The change around M25 will be to take in the view of the now completed Foundation Louis Vuitton by Frank Gehry, at a guess. It's a bit of an architectural monstrosity, but Paris has form for that - be grateful that the route doesn't go past the Centre Pompidou!

https://r.lvmh-static.com/uploads/2016/05/preview_a075e6506-2000x1100.jpg
  • Options
    Well spotted. To be honest I'm normally oblivious to my bearings by the time I reach the park of death. It was only on my fourth time running it I noticed Roland Garros!
  • Options
    Yes, like Eggy, I'm not a great one for noticing scenery. It was three years before I realised we run along the river opposite the Eiffel Tower.
    Mind you, it might be nice to have a distraction by that stage.
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    This being my first marathon, my family are keen to come for a trip to Paris.  Are there any places you would recommend / avoid for spectator support in terms of where is likely to be more or less crowded?