Options

Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    LloydR said:
    Eggyh73 said:
    Medical certificate and photo ID are all you need to collect your bib at the Expo.
    Don't forget the convocation!

How did I forget the convocation? I'm starting to lose it!
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

A quick question which has no doubt been asked and answered many times already so sorry if it has.

The Breakfast Run on the Saturday, how and where do you register for this? can it be done online or is it only in person? I keep seeing Salon Du Running mentioned on the website. My worry is, I do not arrive into Paris until late Friday evening and the breakfast run is Saturday morning (I think) so would I have time to register on the day?
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Hatton2009 - registration for the breakfast usually opens up online a little while before the marathon weekend, but if I remember correctly you will need to collect your t-shirt on the Friday to be able to take part as they don't hand them out on the day. I signed up for it last year, but had to make a hasty retreat before I got a chance to run it (long story), but I did get the t-shirt from the expo (the Salon du Running). I think there are a few on here who have done it many times who'll be along with a more comprehensive answer soon enough!
  • Options
    LloydR said:
    On the subject of hydration and carrying water ...
    I had some time out a few months back and saw a physio. As part of my recovery I was educated on running style and gait and something that really made an impact was balance when running. Just holding something in your hand when you run, like a water bottle, can make you unbalanced and your body then compensates for this by adjusting how you run. It can mean that one side of your body works differently to the other and the danger is that you work some parts more than others and it can lead to injury. At the least you are working muscles differently so you introduce imbalance.

Try running on a treadmill and film yourself from behind. Then try it again while you hold something. It helps to have an expert analysing it and drawing lines on you as you run but it really can be quite remarkable how much your gait changes as a result.
    My recommendation is to use a hydration pack or bottle attached to you rather than carrying a bottle.

Yes - good point on balance, LloydR. To counter this issue, I swap the bottle to the other hand each time a mile ticks past. Must have run several thousand miles in the last 5 years in this manner, without any notable injury. Uh oh. What have I just said?! ;)
  • Options
    Hatton2009 - You can sign up for the breakfast run via your ASO account, where you would have signed up for the marathon. They give you a technical tshirt to wear for the run which is a requirement to participate. That is collected at a desk at the expo. I'm not sure if you can collect it at the start of the run. I've always picked my shirt up at the expo.
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Eggy speaks the truth - sign up for Breakfast Run is now available on the Aso website, under 'options'. Try signing in on this ink: https://www.asochallenges.com/en-EN/my-events/schneider-electric-marathon-de-paris-2017/options
  • Options
    Hi everyone! How your training is going well. I've seen a few people mention that they might want to change their starting pens. I've changed mine, I sent an email to the organisers and it was done within half hour. A lot more straight forward than I thought it would be. Did a half marathon a few weeks ago in Barcelona - really lovely flat run if anyone wants a half in a great city with PB potential for next year. New number - 39073 (violet)
  • Options
    I love Barcelona. I've heard the marathon is great there too. Being Scottish the thought of the heat puts me off races there. I run far better in cold temperatures.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot Eggy & Nells,

I am signed up for the Breakfast Run now, I never put two and two together when wondering what the Salon Du Running was.... its the expo d'oh, it all makes sense now. After a quick Google I see that the expo is open until 21:00 on the Friday, for some reason I had assumed it was 17:00 so I should have sufficient time to get from Charles De Gaulle over to the expo (I land at 17:00) and pick up my race number and tech t-shirt for Sat, my wife is going to love that I will have yet more shirts for the pile.

Thanks once again guys.
  • Options
    You should be fine for collecting on the Friday evening. I always go on the Friday. The crowds are much lower that day, which is a bonus.

Just be aware that the expo is on the other side of Paris from Charles De Gaulle.

Hopefully I'll see you at the Breakfast Run.
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭

I think I've added everyone - if not, please let me know and I'll add you in a couple of days

PARIS 2017 list

Yellow pen (3:15):
    9672 - Steve Duffy 2
    10207 -  Maccatheknacca

Blue Pen (3:30):
    17108 – MattL
    17165 – LloydR
    20620 - Stuchbury
    20621 – Kenno
    20771 – Dean Lucas
    22198 – Mahdu2
    23303 - TT

Purple pen (3:45):
    29172 - Baldstan
    29451 - Pistol101
    29460 – Yer Maj
    29643 - AspirantRunner
    29691 – Eggyh73
    33449 – ryantilley
    37420 – Bandito27
    39073 – Mandydebs

Green pen (4hr):
    43209 – Nells
    43613 – Hatton2009
    43640 - andrewr123
    43794 - Never Give Up Girl
    43975 - Franz Wanzenboeck
    44052 - Betzza
    44674 – Benign Murmurring

Grey pen (4:15)

63796 – 1992km
    64520 – Running Rodent

Pink pen (4:30+):
    68714 – Tired Legs
    69792 – Kirsten B
    68965 – RoddyMac
    73942 – FRG2
    75540 - katey
    75874 – Pancake2

To find your number/pen - log in to your ASO account - http://www.asochallenges.com/,
    there is a large red box to the left of the screen, click 'my order' and your details are there. You should be able to change your pen on the day if required. Someone will post on the forum when the Convocation (a piece of paper that you HAVE to take with you to the Expo) is ready to download, normally a couple of weeks before the race.

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone.  I haven't been on here for a long time, feels like I'm missing out.

katey - I saw your comment about real runners.  Anyone who runs is a runner.  And I wouldn't worry about piling on the miles.  I was doing this last year which was my 2nd marathon.  I was often running just because I had the time to, so would squeeze something in and didn't have much quality.  I was often running with sore legs.  If I run more than 6 miles I'm normally sore the next day, if I run 6 miles hard then I'm sore the next day.  I'm just running 3 times a week now.  I do 2 fast runs of around 5-6 miles and then a long run on the weekend.  For me, the long run is key and not something to skip.  My plan says I should do 1 of my runs as intervals, but I hate them, so do it as a fast run instead.  Its important to ensure you actually enjoy your training and not feel you have to run just because the plans says so.  There are many knowledgeable people in here and I wouldn't be coming back to Paris again if it wasn't for them and their support (I had a shocker last year).  Keep going, sounds like you are on track!

List fairy - please can you remove me from Southend Marathon?  It's been cancelled  :(   I'm doing the Shakespeare Marathon on 11th March now instead - 8 laps, urgghh
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    We're (Stuchbury and I) are doing the breakfast run.  We arrive Friday tea time, so we'll be straight to the expo from the plane.
  • Options
    Hello, just popping in to say hi and marvel at the new forum. 'new', I mean!

How are the LSRs going? All to plan? I have my longest run on Saturday - 16M. Weird!
  • Options
    I was back at the physio tonight. I've been given permission to go for a very slow two or three mile run tomorrow to test the injury out. 

Hopefully it goes well and I can attempt to get healthy for the start line.
  • Options
    I picked up my Breakfast run t-shirt at the start two years ago. It's all rather informal! We get in late on the Friday - so will have to pick on the Sat morning again.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Good luck Eggy!  hope it goes well today! 
  • Options
    Fingers crossed Eggy.
    I just emailed about moving pens and got an email back in 10 mins ! I thought I'd be clever and write in French, the reply (according to online translators) talks about lozenges, the sas and air locks, but I think I get the jist of it.  I've also uploaded the training app, could be a possible motivational tool for some.
  • Options
    Macca - didn't you know about the lozenges, the SAS and the air locks? You thought you just had to run a marathon, there's much more to it than that. Get your balaclava ready...
  • Options
    A balaclava with no facial holes would certainly improve my running photographs.
  • Options

The Spinal Injuries Association still has places for the Paris Marathon 2017.   Just a £20 registration fee and a commitment to raise at least £500 in sponsorship.   Full details in the Events section of their website (www.spinal.co.uk)
  • Options
    I'll need a balaclava with a croissant shaped mouth hole, I fully intend to consume my own body weight in croissants, all in the interests of carb loading of course.
  • Options
    So my plan will be collect my breakfast run tee at the Expo on Friday as I've signed up for it.  I'll run the Montsouris park parkrun (09:00-09:25ish) on Saturday then get over to the end of the breakfast run for coffee and croissants, assuming Macca has left some for me :smiley:
  • Options
    Well I did my short slow run last night and I made it around with some minor discomfort. The downside appears to be that I'm suffering for it this morning. I'm starting to think the start line in Paris might be a step to far this time.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Oh no Eggy!  That doesn't sound too good 
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Bad news, Eggy. Would a run/walk combo work?
  • Options
    Let's not be too hasty here, Paris is still a long way off. I'd rest a bit longer and re-evaluate again next week.
  • Options
    At the moment I'm focusing on strength work and will talk over things with the physio again next week.

I'm not sure run/walk would help any. Based on last nights result, it seems by my standards, a very very slow pace and a short distance was enough to give me pain walking today.

I just need to see how it goes over the next week or two, but my gut feeling is this isn't going to be a quick recovery and it's looking likely I'll have to pull out of running Paris and possibly Luxembourg too.

I'm never happy with my running unless I'm in good form. I'm one of those sad people who gets annoyed unless they're running PB type times. I need to focus in getting injury free. I think I'd rather take time out than try and get through carrying an injury. Just one of those things I guess. I had a great December/January, but this month has been a write off.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that, Eggy, I totally recognise the feelings you describe. Just take it a day at a time, see what happens.

I entered the Lucca marathon today. It's in October, is relatively small and takes place in/ around a walled Tuscan town I've never visited before (about 20 mins drive from Pisa).

In an odd way, I think I prefer Autumn marathons, partly because 'train in the heat/ perform in the cool' is so much better for me than the other way round, but mostly because LSRs in horizontal sleet with numb fingers despite gloves are horrible!
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear about your injury Eggy.  Have you made your mind up or going to see what happens over the next week?