Options

Friday 12th March

Comments

• Options
    morning all

Can't remember such a downer of a thread - so many injuries and bugs! Swerve the latest casualty - what a lousy way to get injured. Best wishes to all - recover soon.

And as yet the promised milder weather hasn't arrived. To continue the Wilfred Owen theme (a good Wirral citizen, btw)...
    "Our brains ache,in the merciless iced east winds that knife us . . ." ("Exposure").

what: 7.3 miles with hill, as much as possible at tempo pace
    why: need to do this key session more often for 10K strength. Also an element of punishment for wimping out of yesterday....
    last hard day: Sun
    last rest day: Thu

Currently (Bidston observatory): temperature outside 1.7C, wind ESE, 12 knots, gusting to 22 (see above).
    Just hope things have warmed up a bit by 1730 this evening....
  • Options
    Good morning. Sending healing vibes to those who need them.

What: not sure yet, depends what time I escape the office. If still light perhaps 3 miles, if dark a swim.

Off to posh health spa for 5 days with best mate tomorrow. Lots of plodding time. Hope weather picks up a bit. Freeeezin' here this morning.
  • Options
    I've definitely spotted it this time!

No, not the lyric/verse or whatever it is.

I've spotted that Barnsleyrunner has mentioned the phrase "rest day" twice in the same post. Surely some kind of record?

(I bet he still goes out for a few miles later just to spite us mortals). I hope your heart muscle gets better...can you ice it?
    As I sit at my desk having just had a coffee my RHR is 53.
    I think I'll go out now for 30 minutes for a session of hill sprints.

Why?
    Venom's recommended taper.
  • Options
    Hello,

Not been on much this week ... seems like the marathon training has taken its toll on quite a few people.

Yesterday : 61 mins easy run around Norwich
    (about 8 miles).
    Today : Nothing - tweaked my hamstring during yesterdays run.

• Options
    Morning all.

What: rest day
    Why: 20 miler planned for tommorrow
    Last easy: Wednesday
    Last hard: Tuesday

Take it easy all, let them muscles rest and heal.

Good running/racing for the weekend.
  • Options
    Wow, not too many actually running today. A real shame, hope all things come good soon.

Just going for a 4 mile blast, no time for anything else now.
    Swimming later....might have to book some "improver" lessons, still taking me ages to do a 25 m length, can only do 4 lengths before puffing. Weird when I can run for miles happily, and cycle for miles happily......
    Hope I'll suss it soon.

Enjoy Bath and Hastings!
  • Options
    Speedie, in the morning RHR is usually 50-55bpm. Now it is 55-60ish.

In the evening 45-50bpm, now 50-56ish. Not ill enough not to run but not low enough to train properly. Also slight cough. Sounds wet I know but it does affect the running.

Blisters, I'm in serious danger of running 2nd claim for the sub 50 mpw club this week:(
  • Options
    Lots of suffering runners out there atm! Good luck to you all anyway- hope things start to improve asap! On the bright side it's better to be injured during cr*ppy weather than in the middle of summer I spose?

What: 4-5 miles easy
    Why: tapering for Fleet Half on Sunday
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: 3 days

Not doing too well with the lyrics recently. Think I need BR to put his Dylan head on again ;-)

• Options
    Hi all

I pushed it too hard last night in a 13 miler, so I'll be going easy tonight I think.

Sorry to hear about continuing and new woes.

Venom - My inclination would be to do your 16 miler next week with a 3 mile warm up and a 3 mile warm down (or just a 6 mile warm down) then your 20 miler easy the next week as you planned.

What: 5 miles easy
    Why: recovery

Last hard: last night
    Last rest: Monday 1 March

My pacing's been all over the place this week (too fast on "steady" runs); as a result I've got tired, and now need to drop my speedwork tonight. Need to be more disciplined.

Hope you all have a good weekend.
  • Options
    Stuffed with a heavy head cold. No running today. Running last night was the wrong decision! Let that be a lesson to us all! :D
  • Options
    Aaaah, the good thing about working from home is that I can get out all my books of war poetry.. hmm, so much for doing any work.

Anyway...good wishes to all the injured, too many to list... but Swerve, it sounds like you are lucky not to be one of them, "What sinister threat lurks there", to carry on the war poetry theme.
    Have a great time at the health farm Jill, and Monique - I´ve had some strangely good results after scoffing chips, what powers do they have?

What: 20 mile run - did everything wrong, didn´t take enough water with me, and had a long stop midway as I was expecting a client to call (and they did - never usually take my phone with me, but had to this time), I chose a hilly route which came back into the wind, I hadn´t cut my toenails, so from mile 18 was in a lot of pain .... but felt fine really, did 20 miles in 3.13, and could have done more. but I´m glad I didn´t have to - the wind was awful!
    Why: marthon training
    Last hrd: today!
    Last rest: last week

Have a good day, everyone!
  • Options
    Just back from Venom's taper.
    6x 30 second (200m?) hill repeats.

Then a runner came along, so I just HAD to do another one.

I really hope that this "rest" theory works.
  • Options
    Hi

What: Gym later - arms chest 'n shoulders
    Why: not been for a while

enjoy your days all
  • Options
    "I can´t stand up, I can´t sit down, I can´t get my head off the ground"

Big Tim, I think your lyrics are Jesus and Mary Chain again. But although I can remember nearly all the lyrics to this song, I can´t remember the title!
  • Options
    Just back from the hill reps session lunch time so shove up friends and make some room for me on the rest bench. Ta, I'm staying here now 'till Sundays race. Anybody got any hot chocolate? and oh, those shortbread biscuits looks nice. Hargie drops chin and starts to doze pleasantly.
  • Options
    sven27sven27 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone.

After recently having a 6 week lay off from running due to achilles peretonitus in my right leg/foot, it seems I have got in my left one now.
    Could feel discomfort when running Thursday and since then has become very painful, and is grating every time I walk.

Hence no run today.

Fingers crossed that it is not as serious as the other, and I can make it to the start line in 2 weeks time for the Police European cross country in Poland.

• Options
    sven27sven27 ✭✭✭
    Just read through the thread.. some great sicknotes. Its like a game of injury bingo! I will have to pass on some of these to my girlfriend, as I think she has used up every other excuse not to run!

I am still in the early stages of running withdrawal, I had my fix of endorphines release last night. Reality of not being able to run has not kicked in yet.

Seriously, hope everyone gets over there ailments and injuries soon.
  • Options
    Oh dear, what a list of woes!The bench is threatening to break under the pressure! I am reluctant to add to it, but fear I must just for today. Head cold and sore throat like many others, but have formed an all out assault with vitamins, echinacia, two early nights in a row and lots of fluids!

WILL DO LONG RUN TOMMORROW!!!!

Swerve, that's seriously bad luck AND incrediably frustrating about your ankle. Is it too sore to exercise yet? My husband is recently recovered from a very bad twist and he swears by standing on the sore foot only, with your eyes closed. Be careful not to fall over and break something!

Good luck and happy running everyone else
  • Options
    Evening all,

A thread today in which I can fully participate and not feel left out!

What: Nothing as continued forced rest due to stress fracture and leg still quite sore so I suspect next week will not mark the end of this period.

More seriously, hope all recover and are back in form asap

Simon
  • Options
    Who walked under the forum ladder then?

Ta for the sympathies all. Patouka - no, I just jogged a few paces on it and it's properly mangled. No chance of any exercise this weekend, and it's looking iffy for next week.

LizzyB - thanks for doing all our mileages for us!
  • Options
    Swerve - no problem, happy to oblige. Don´t forget to ice it!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear of all the injury/health problems today!

I have to say my rest is because I'm in taper mode & actually feel quite good :-)

LizzyB, thought you might get this one!
    "Head On" by "The Jesus & Mary Chain"

Strange thing is earlier in the week when I was tired & in a bad mood about Sunday's race I was listening to soft gental music. now I'm feeling better it's got faster & louder!
    Who needs RHR when I can tell my my music listening habit's!!!!

Race well all 1/2 marathoners!

Venom, I agree with Huw J
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Evening!

Sorry to hear so many of you are suffering. Hope it's not for too long!

Swerve, that's real bad luck!

I changed the order of hard easy runs today. Did 2 miles easy at lunch as one of the kids had a stitch. Then did 5.9 at tempo pace after work. Felt really strong today, makes a change!:o)
  • Options
    evening all

got round the 7.3 miler in 47:54. Not a very pleasant first 3 - into the wind, then the hill climb - but got into a nice rhythm coming back with the wind - felt I was travelling well without pushing too hard. So felt q pleased.
    And - apart from what feels like a bit of a blister on the right sole - managed to avoid joining the ranks of the sick/injured.

Rest & recover well all.
  • Options
    Oh dear oh dear,

Well today was a rest and I need it, last one was 9 days ago. I have a slight cold, RHR 45 (usually 41/2), like BR not too much of an elevation, but a nudge for me to taper for Stafford on Sunday.

30 mins easy tomorrow, I really need Stafford to be a good race.
  • Options
    Evening All

I hope that everybody that is recovering or resting today gets better soon.

What: Swimming followed by weights session
    Why: day off from running due to resting achillies

Have a good day everybody and good luck to everyone racing this weekend
  • Options
    ok
    hadd test on tready

managed just over 6 miles
    noew ive a few niggles, so shove over, id like to sit down
  • Options
    Now look here, I have a pre booked seat on this bench and it's getting a bit too crowded. What's happening?

Swerve that's dreadful bad luck, you should sue!!
    Nrg-b,blisters, I think they're all jealous of the hugs I've been getting! Loved the lyrics yesterday, very appropriate.

Hope everybody recovers soon.

Good luck to those still able to race/train this weekend, take care!
  • Options
    no room barbara

me arse takes up 3 spaces
  • Options
    Does that mean I can go and run? If I sit around much longer I'll need a bench to myself. Why do I want to eat crap all the time?