Options

Comrades 2017

Comments

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

I used to look at Comrades and think "no" and go and run my next big city marathon. I look at MdS and think "no", "no", "no"! Are you definitely confirmed at MdS for next year Dannirr?

JB - Oucho! Hope you recover quickly. Caashford seemed to thrive on it!

CN what are you aiming for next year?

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Lowrez - I am. Confirmed, paid and committed. Or, by some comments from family, I need to be committed. To an asylum. 

• Options

am I right entry for the race will open in September

• Options

Hi Seren,  thats right and don't worry it's pretty low risk, there's almost no chance places run out (t's & c's apply)

• Options

I'm in for next year, as I want the back to back medal. I've booked the Hilton as well.

Recovery's going pretty slowly for me as I have still have some soreness from the race. I managed a slow two mile shuffle a couple of days ago and I'll try again tonight.

• Options

Dannirr - are you running solo or in a team?  

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Justanithrrnr - solo, with 2 friends also runing. Likely will try stick together. i never really could see the benefit of creating a team. 

• Options

How long do you guys tend to go out for? Was thinking of booking Hilton from Thursday till Tuesday. 

And another silly question. I looked at Debra bournes photos on 2016 thread and people were drinking by the sea in Durban. If we have to get a bus back to Durban next year how long do they run for. If we're coming in on 12 hours do we have to rush straight off?

• Options

Agreed, from what I'm told you share a finishing time wit your team mates which feels weird to me - over 250kms too much can happen. Is there a difference in costs maybe? 

I do like the sound of it, a huge challenge, but one to keep in mind for the future.

• Options
    Matt..Matt.. ✭✭✭

I'm in for number 5. Or half a green as I like to think of it image

Was great to meet a bunch of you this year. Safe training all

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Snail - most folk stay to watch the 12 hour cutoff and get buses after that. It takes ages to get out of the stadium and there is no visible traffic management in the car park so it takes a while to get back to Durban. A few will meet in the Hilton bar. Not sure when Debra's photos were taken.

Matt - cool, a few of us going for half green.
  • Options

Agree with Becca - once you've 'enjoyed' the bus trip back you probably won't get much further than your hotel bar.  I do remember sitting in the bar at City Lodge last year, after rolling off the bus, wearing pink fluffy socks, sandals, and all my race kit, caked in salt. Some kind person bought me a beer - can't remember who, but it was most welcome image.  I suspect Debra's photos were taken the next morning/lunchtime.

• Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    This is getting far too serious. I'm still limping and trying to get off painkillers.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

It took hours to get back last year - terrible.

Half green huh?  I hear talk they might introduce a new medal for 5 runs....

• Options

Hope things improve Bike It.  

• Options

Snail: The photos in the set "Post-run" are from the following day.:

Pre-run (including in the start pens): https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcb_debra/albums/72157666775942783

At the stadium, from and in the International area: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcb_debra/albums/72157669283468106

Post-Comrades, Monday pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcb_debra/albums/72157668918281292

• Options

Thanks Debra

Why am I such a numpty. Hilton hotel prices already tripledimage

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Matt - nice way of thinking of number 5!! Also had was your shark diving trip? Was it any good, if so who was it you went with?

Debra - even though i am not in any of the pictures, they are brilliant memories of the day. Thanks for sharing.

BI - i am sure you will be back going soon enough and the rest and recovery may do you well in the long run.

• Options

Good news! X-ray today shows good healing and I'm allowed to "return to normal running" again over a period of 4-6 weeks. Problem: the orthopaedic surgeon really cannot grasp the idea of a 'normal' mileage of 40-60 mpw ("how much is your normal mileage wen NOT training for a specific marathon or ultra?" he asked), so I'm left guessing what's a "normal" progression. Have found a couple of suggested plans online, while differ wildly from one another.

I plan to be very conservative for the next couple of weeks, do lots of strengthening and balance and proprioception work, then start a reasonable (I hope) return to running schedule.

• Options

marty74: Apologies - I tried to photograph every blue number that passed, but some of them were just too blurred.

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the pics Debra.  I'm not sure I'm in any of them either but it's interesting to see how much busier the run in gets as time goes on and great that you got pics of so many UK runners and also of Hilton and Chaeli.

Bike It - sorry to hear you are still suffering. 

Snail - that's an outrageous price hike.  City Lodge, Bel Air Suites and Bluewaters are places where a lot of Comrades runners will stay and I've seen them at good prices on Trivago.  I've booked the City Lodge, which is a short walk from the Hilton.  The others are also a good location, on the seafront, but a bit further from the Expo.

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Cross posting - that's very positive news about the injury Debra.  

• Options

Thanks for that Becca. Looked it up, asked OH if he was ok for a trip to SA and booked.image

Now to look at the hotel details as all I did was put the dates in and pay!!!

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Debra - thats great news.

I ran in the with the 10 hour bus and was on the other side of the stadium to the international area. However, i do appear on the comrades facebook page picture with the 10 hour bus finishing. Just love that picture!!!!

• Options
    Matt..Matt.. ✭✭✭

Marty - Dive was awesome, getting up at 4.30 the day after the run not so much. Company was KZN Sharkdiving, would recommend them and recommend leaving it until the Tuesday. How was the aches and pains party.

Debra - glad you're on the mend. You deserve your 2017 medal

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Thanks for that. Hmm, 4.30 does sound rather early but guess the sharks made up for that. I am thinking possibly doing it before Comrades next year.

The aches and pains party was nice and great to chat to some great people whilst i was there. When i arrived everyone was telling their race story in the clubhouse. Was nice to hear everyone's own take on the race and how it panned on the day.

• Options

thats a horrendous hike for the Hilton....so pleased i snook in quickly

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I guess I kinda made a hotel reservation....

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

I'd say don't fret on that Hilton hike, what was the price at before it hit? I found a couple of routes to a good price last year whilst the "public price" was 4k rand plus on their site. First is the UK and Ireland facebook page usually publish a deal, here is last year's price and link (obviously no longer valid) to give you an idea, that usually comes out toward end of August/beginning of September (you may need to log in to facebook to see that). And, last year with a nice bit of googling in September I did this (which resulted in me cancelling City Lodge even though it was still much cheaper - I just love the convenience and vibe at the Hilton):-

lowrez wrote (see)

I just got a good deal on the Hilton at Amoma, £124 per night and 8.3% cashback booking via Topcashback. Hilton's own site is still showing £200 per night image

I got the overall impression Hilton whack up the price to protect the rooms for the runners who take advantage of the deals their Comrades ambassadors are given. Brilliant if you've managed to get in prior to that hike though!