Options

Comrades 2017

Comments

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Good recovery in Paris RR; is that your last event prior to Comrades?
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

S-S on the charity thing are you logging on to the "2017 ENTRY UPDATE" clicking "Edit" and then going on to the charities page to make your choice?  

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    It's a great race.  Good organisation but not a patch on Comrades but of course Cape Town is spectacular.  That first big hill is Chapman's Peak, which is gorgeous.  Go look at it on Streetview.  The second is Constantia Nek.  Big climbs but of course long downhills to compensate.  Hopefully you will be in better shape for this than you were at Manchester
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

I checked out the university campus finish area; looks fantastic; do you remember if it was easy to jump in a cab etc to get back to your hotel? I am contemplating not checking in a tog bag, but not sure, my hotel is only a couple of miles away from the finish so could walk it, but I bet I won't be in great shape for that!

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Yes, the finish is a nice area.  The international tent isn't as good as the one at Comrades, though.  

I always like to have a little walk after a marathon or ultra to help the legs.  I was staying in Newlands so the walk back was ideal.  Uber works pretty well in Cape Town, though, if you need it.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    seren - I am in that exact place right now - its OK to think it - but another to actually cross the line - I always think of my self in the future as a little old man (ha ha - the future?) with me zimmer frame and a heap of medals and memories. It would be dreadful to look upon any of them knowing I gained them outside of the rules. New Year's Eve a couple of years ago I had the event medal for the first leg of the Liver Double Marathon practically placed in my hand by the organisers who were keen to shut up shop at the end of lap 3 of 4, icy rain coursing down from the sky, most tempting to agree with them that I had indeed done 4... I turned around the cone and ran away from the bronze disk, that little old man smiling in my head.
  • Options
    RR - well done on Paris. Great to be steady for 23 miles

Wonder how Dannirr's getting on.

Lowrez - Thanks for that info. Found the page. How do I find out what they support? Few obvious ones, but whats Amabeadibeadi, Pink Drive and Starfish?
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Amabeadibeadi is the umbrella one, I think.  Pink Drive is a breast cancer charity and Starfish Greathearts is for children affected by AIDS.
  • Options
    Thanks Becca. Have found the page that tells you what they all are. Was obviously being lazy :(
  • Options
    I've been following Danni and also Nodster, who hasn't posted on RW for a while but is also doing MdS (and  Comrades). They're both finished Day 3 - which was about dunes and hills, and tomorrow is the Long Day (90k). Doesn't bear thinking about - imagine running Comrades, but in a desert, and then having to sleep in a tent full of spiders and poo in a bag...
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

You can send him a message on the mds site. I don't think he can reply; they print out what you type and hand it to the spiders to deliver to him :)

• Options
    OK, I'm being a bit dim. I emailed them my qualifying details and they've confirmed they've got them and I've qualified. But I can't see anything on the website about qualifying information. When I log in there's a tab that says 'Club and qualifying' but when you click on it there's just a box to enter your club name. What am I missing?
  • Options
    RR - the same happened to me. It took them ages to change it so that I'd qualified but they did eventually send an email confirming it and they then changed the details on my form
  • Options
    I never got the email confirming qualification - but my profile when i log in says qualified and C seeding

• Options
    Oh, I've got it now, I was logging into my profile, not my 2017 entry. Doh! :-)
  • Options
    RR, I think you can log in and update your own qualification details yourself.

Well Sunday saw my first 20 miler, a jump from 16 and I must admit I felt the difference, was still a bit sore when I ran yesterday, day off today so hopefully a little better tomorrow.

With regard e-mailling about supporters getting to the finish and back to Durban post race, Comrades have replied saying that tickets will be available for both at the expo.  As I thought same as previous years, bit of cut and pasting from old documents causing confusion.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    I'm flying out of Manchester for Cape Town tomorrow; good luck at both Bostons everyone, especially Terry - I want to be celebrating qualification with you when we return :)
  • Options
    Lowrez - good luck at two oceans. Go for it, be positive and that time will be yours.

terry- good luck too in Boston. That qualifier is yours too.  You've worked hard.

and is it Becca doing Boston too but in the USA? Have a great weekend and to anyone else running
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Thanks S-S its looking perfect out there 13C at the start rising to 23C towards the finish, nothing but blue sky and the wonderful road - ha ha!

Jelly Bean - you are re-peaking just great after Barcelona - rest is best after a big effort.

I must go and pack - where did I put me chip?

• Options
    Hello Lowrez, I'd tend to agree with that view, unfortunately I'm walking a tightrope between doing enough before the beginning of May to get round and still having time for a good taper.  I'm judging it one run at a time.  If I can stay in one piece untill the end of the month I get a forced rest week before a 30+ miler on the 7th ish followed by a steep taper.  Oh for an extra 2 months.

Interestingly my short runs are getting slower but my long runs are getting quicker....I think that's a good sign.

If tomorrows run finds me more sore than I think I should be I'll take a couple of days off.

Ah the fun we have!

Lowrez, good luck with 2O

• Options
    Just sent this evening's spider mail to the MdS boys :)
  • Options
    lowrez, good luck at Two Oceans - enjoy, and finish timefully!

Ran my first tempo run for ages on Tuesday, making use of fresh legs after the absence of weekend long run. Competed 8 miles in 64 minutes, which I was happy with considering that was four miles up and over Crystal Palace Hill then back again. Split 20 miles yesterday, including the same hill morning and evening in the two directions plus running to the club and the club run. Intending a little jog tomorrow and 12-15 miles on Sunday (club run) followed by Boston (Lincs) on Monday.

Only just realised it's a three-hour drive to Boston. Yikes!  Wondering whether friends in Newmarket can accommodate me for the night, which would be a nice opportunity to visit them, but only reduces the morning's drive to 1 hr 45 mins. Finding a B&B/hotel room in Boston might be more sense.
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone racing this weekend, especially those chasing qualifiers.  I've still got one or two niggles but hopefully OK for Boston (USA), travelling on Saturday.

Nice tempo run Debra.

Dannii seems to have just finished the long day.  Bravo.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Greetings from Dubai Hope you de-niggle Becca Go Danni go! Nice miles Debra Hope everyone has a good Easter - eat chocolate!
  • Options
    Debra-good look at Boston too. Hope you sort your accommodation 
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Missed a few posts but having a read seems to me the excitement is slowly building. Won't be long before the lists start appearing but i guess that's what we all do with all that spare time we have not running so much in May!!!

Best of luck lowrez at TO. You will have a blast. Chapmans Peak is my most favorite part of a race anywhere in the world. Be wary of the quad crushing down the other side into hout bay mind you!!

Becca - hope you feel better soon and rest has worked. Enjoy Boston. Very envious. I need to get older to be able to qualify!!!

Above Happy Easter to everyone. Remember, chocolate is fuel!!
  • Options
    Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Good luck everyone racing this weekend - Lowrez, I want to hear all about TO, that's in my plans for next year.

And what Marty said - also, spring racing=hot cross bun loading.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks all! Met Coach Parry at the Expo and am all genned up on the perfect race; I need 5 to 8 minutes in the bag by halfway, must not panic on the ups no matter how slow I get, and as Marty said, don't burn the quads out on the payback downs from those climbs. Also there are still rises even after the last big climb, don't blow it thinking its all done by then. He said Danni had done great on yesterday's big mileage in the desert!
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, I've just realised that TO is today (I had thought it was tomorrow).  You should have finished by now, hopefully to your satisfaction and with your qualifier in the bag! I look forward to your race report.  Enjoy Cape Town and well deserved re-hydration.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Hi Terry 2O ultra is tomorrow. Parry had run an event today - the friendship run. Just had pasta and chocolate cake for lunch. Breakfast is 4am tomorrow, kick off is 6:40. I am an hour ahead of UK time. Had a jar moment at the expo; I took my Comrades championchip - no, no, no, you need a racetech chip - only 120 Rand - must attach it to my shoe NOW!