Tuesday 16th March

Comments

• Options
    Ptarmigan?!?! how lovely!

what: intervals. 5x2k with 3min. recovery

Happy running!
  • Options
    peeps!

I need some advice regarding weight training so I posted a thread in training. Can you help?
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Hello!

I did a test for a girls uni project yesterday and my resting heart rate was 63bpm. I did 30 mins intense at 17kmh and it went up to 171bpm. (This was meant to be 80% max). Iv never used a polar before so does this sound reasonable? I need to think about using one to measuer my heart rate as iv started upping my training significantly and having little rest in the form of long slow-ER runs.

Been reading about your problem BR and just made me think about starting to monitor my HR. I think im starting to train there or thereabouts the same sort of distance as you.

What: 45 mins AM, likely hard club session PM. May well just do a little as im going off for the Derby midweek 5k tommorow.

Why: May well just do a little as im going off for the Derby midweek 5k tommorow.

Last Hard: Sunday

Last rest: 23 days. (Think im closing in on Ron Hill's record of never having a rest day for about 50 years!

• Options
    Stifler
    Your resting heart rate at 63 sounds a bit high. I reckon that being surrounded by girls who are showing an interest in your body has had an effect!

Try again later when you are bored.
    (Finger tip on pulse point in neck is the best way)
  • Options
    Just tried it again and it was 55? Im meant to be very fit and healthy, and im only 18 so does this sound accurate?

The girl was lifting my shorts right up and feeling around the tops of my legs for a while before sticking computer registering ball things on certain points of my feet and legs though.

It showed the speed of my leg movement at normal start of run, then when fatigued.
  • Options
    Sorry!
    I just had to read your last posting twice.

My own HR has gone up, as has blood pressure.

Phew!
  • Options
    Stifler,

I guess I could make myself available should they require more guinea pigs....!

Agree your resting rate sounds a bit high but then 171 for your hard effort sounds a bit low? Have you tried an HR maximum test
  • Options
    Any more volunteers needed Stifler?
  • Options
    No, i was the second last and she had someone else pencilled in last.

How can i get an accurate reading of my resting HR and Fatigued HR, (80 OR 90%)?
  • Options
    Afternoon!

I'm now also a Lesser Injured Woodpecker, after a grim two weeks (never EVER get an infected blister on the sole of your foot. The gunk alone is enough to make you feel ill, never mind the bruising, the itching or the pain!) and am back. :)

What: Intense gym session followed by moderate swim
    Why: Decided I'd joined the gym for reason and should start using it.
    Last hard: Today...I'm shattered now!
    Last rest: Last Wed.

Off to Newcastle tonight, so I shall be dancing and painting the town assorted colours.

Stifler - my resting heartrate is 60 and I'm also 18. And that was taken in a boring mundance situation ;)
  • Options
    What would it be if a bunny was to appear from nowhere?
  • Options
    I suppose that two 18 year old persons each with an RHR of 60 could add up to a HR greater than 120?
  • Options
    Sorry

Just back from a pleasant 5 miler.
    Legs a bit achy still.

But......
    I got something in my eye that just wouldn't go away until I got indoors again.

SUNSHINE

Weeee Heeee
  • Options
    If a bunny appeared from nowhere?

It'd be through the roof, and I'd be halfway to New Zealand :)

• Options
    Blisters - same here! Glorious

What: 5m easy (done), 4 x 1 mile in 5:24 (to look forward to)

Why: fortnightly VO2max session. I hate it, but always feel good afterwards.

Can people please advise me on a decent taper for London? This week is my highest mileage (70), next week will be roughly similar, (65), then I am planning to go 50, 35, 20 plus race. Does this look okay in terms of mileage?

Also - what to have in it?
    Quality sessions - I am planning to do a longish (10-11m) marathon pace session and a tempo run 4 weeks out, 8-9 mile mp and intervals 3 weeks out, a short tempo and intervals 2 weeks out, and lastly some short sharpening intervals on the Tuesday of race week.
    Long runs - 28/3: 20 miles inc some marathon pace running and a fast last 2 miles; 4/4: 15 miles slow (with maybe some strides in the last few miles); 11/4: 10 miles slow.

What are people's thoughts on this? Any advice gratefully received.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Off to the physio in an hour, so fingers crossed that she manages to have some effect. This is really messing up my marathon training right now!

Hum, take a look at Peak Performance (http://www.pponline.co.uk), if you do a search on "taper", loads of interesting stuff comes up.
  • Options
    (sorry, I meant "Huw" there, not "Hum"!)
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Planned to go for a run today at a very low HR but still feeling stiff. So will abandon todays run (grudgingly)and see how i am tomorrow
  • Options
    Aaaaghhhhh
    Cold bath again
    Blue and shivering after 5 minutes.

• Options
    Stifler, go and watch a video of the stunning 0-0 draw with the Tigers at Belle Vue. Should give you an accurate idea of you minimum HR if you can keep your eyes open long enough to read your monitor.

Seriously, take your HR at different times of the day. Mine seems to be lowest at around 6pm (after a hard day at work:-)).

As for max, go to a track, warm up, run 800m flat out, 2 mins jog then 400m flat out. HR at end of last rep should be around your max.
  • Options
    Hilly - overtraining? Moi?

Seriously I hadn't considered that. I'm having an easy week (again) to try and shift it. Thanks.
  • Options
    6 "undulating" miles out on the tracks and bridleways. it was only going to be 4 but the sun was out and the birds were singing :-)

just couldn't help myself

cold bath? perhaps not. might go and try the nice warm variety instead.

tri-club AGM tonight

• Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    hi all

what: 5miles(icl 3 miles at HM pace)

why: still following the HM schedule;)

only 3 weeks til my first HM.
    We're coming over to the UK to see our families for the Easter break and I've managed to fit in 3 races in 10 days:)
    (hubby is doing two of them with me)
    Run strong:)
    tiaxx
  • Options
    Hello,
    Well Iam up for some kind of madness at the club tonight, and will be weqaring shorts and wait for it- possibly a short sleeved top!
  • Options
    Evening all,

Back from the physio - she didn't come up with much specific (didn't expect her to, given the problem is a bit vague), but she did notice a weakness in my right gluteus medius (supports pelvis), and left vastus medialis (part of the quad that does the very last bit of straightening the knee). So I'm to do lots of strengthening exercises on those, and if I can run 5 miles tomorrow and 10 miles on Friday with no problems, then I'm allowed to do Kingston 16.

Plan at Kingston was to treat is as a London rehearsal, i.e. try to go round at exactly marathon pace. Hopefully that will still work out, but we shall see. I've now completely ruled out any thoughts of sub-3 at London - think I'll either defer, or do it at a much lower intensity.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Evening All,

Yesterday started off well and soon went downhill. I woke up today with a slight temperature and sore throat. Been sneezing all day. The family are all recovering from colds/flu and I have been surprised I lasted that long but you can't win against Nature. Well, no amounts of vitamin/herbal supplements will do so I guess I'll have to slog it out.

I received the best compliment ever today. A workmate said to me "Why are you ill, you're a fit & healthy runner!". Hey, I'm now a RUNNER - COOL!

Legs feel v. good. My current RHR is not far off from normal ie about 45. (My waking HR is about 40).

So I've taken a rest day. Had a mega authentic indian meal (ie double portions), quite a few chocs and now looking forward to having an early bath and early bed - Afterall, I'm ill ;-)

cheers.

nrg-b.
  • Options
    LizzyB, were talking of lyrics older than some posting on this thread!
    Still my RHR after a day at work & running yesterday was 39

First time in shorts tonight for a long time :-)
    It felt good, my legs were ticking over nicely, all is looking good for Saturday :-)

WP, CPC = City Pier City, 1/2in The Hague, as you can imagine it's very flat!
    If the wind holds off I'm going to run fast.

That's if I get a number sent through!

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Venom: If it's any consolation, I had my heart set on a fast FLM time. However, time involved in conversion to Pose and experience of time-to-recover from previous HMs has convinced me that a post-FLM recovery could heavily degrade the Base Training work I've done so far.

Still, I'm not deferring as FLM is my first ever marathon. I'll run it as a lowHR run - care to join me? At least the pressure is off ;-)

If I had ran FLM before then I'd probably defer.

Just my tuppence worth.
  • Options
    Hi all,

What: 3.9miles in 26mins
    Why: 'Fast'(!) run in prep for sub 1h24 1/2 on Sunday.

Pleasant run, bumped into a club-mate after 1 mile and ran next mile together chatting before going our seperate ways.

Enjoy your training/resting tomorrow all

Andy