Options

KING KONG DONG IS BACK: 50 minute 4.75 miler, to 35 minute 5 miler, in 12 weeks

Took over 6 months off running, apart from 2 runs a few months back, which were useless. I am starting from scratch. Alas, i wil still prove all you wrong.

My run long run is 4.75 miles currently. I'll probably bump it up to 5 in the future.

But for my now my goal is to reduce it from 50 minutes to 35 in 12 weeks.

Ok, lets get into this.

10/06/16:

4.75 miles, 49:51

This was my first run for this training cycle, brutal, i had to stop 4 times because the heat was dreaful, and i am un trained.

13/06/16:

2.375 miles, 22:31

this was an interval run, 2 minutes fast, 2 mins walking break

5 intervals

16/06/16:

4.75 miles, 47:01

19/06/16:

4.75 miles: 45:01

25/06/16:

2.375 miles, 21:19

again, 5 intervals

my right ankle is feeling abit funny, and my ankle muscles spasm from dorsiflexion the days after my runs, so i might take it a bit easier from here on, as i have plenty of time.

Comments

• Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

I realise I'm probably shouting into the wind here, but maybe you'd like to try not running as fast as you can for each of your non interval runs and save it for those intervals instead??

• Options

TheDan wrote (see)

I realise I'm probably shouting into the wind here, but maybe you'd like to try not running as fast as you can for each of your non interval runs and save it for those intervals instead??

arent they just different energy systems though?

my plan is to go all out for the long runs until they take 40 mins (i should have this done in 9 days)

then i think thats when i should start focusing on the interval runs instead

should i drop it to 1 long run each week, and do 2 interval runs, as they are the most important?

also, when will my progress hit the wall?

the drop from 45 to 40 minutes will only take me about a week. How much harder will it be to get from 40 to 35 minutes?

• Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

to answer your questions;

Yes, they are, but not when you run both at essentially the same pace, a long run needs to be much, much slower

I wouldn't necessarily call a 5 mile run a "long" run, most of my interval sessions end up being longer than this. If you're really focused on running 5 miles in a certain time (odd distance, by the way) then your long runs would generally be longer than 5 miles (probably up to 6)

just to tamper that enthusiasm just a little, running progress isn't linear, just because you dropped a few min off your all out run in a week, doesn't mean it'll continue to drop at the same rate, especially if you decide to race all your runs. chances are you'll overdo it and either end up going backwards or getting injured. your stated aim in the timescale you've stated is pretty much unobtainable. Very, very few people could improve by a third in 12 weeks, the only caveat to that would be is if you've been running at these paces before or if they're starting from a very low base and combine it with significant weight loss

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Read this:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/training-for-the-right-distance/166480.html

If you understand the basics you will understand how mental your idea is.
  • Options

VDOT52 wrote (see)

Read this:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/training-for-the-right-distance/166480.html

If you understand the basics you will understand how mental your idea is.

im not listening to some old fart who says you need to run 20 miles a week for a 5km race lol

people cut 10 minutes of their park run times in about a year, and they are lazy

i will prove you guys wrong, 5 minutes in about 8 weeks is nothing for me

cutting race time down by just over 30 seconds each week isnt going to be that hard, i did 5 minutes in just over a week LOL

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Seems so long since we had a beginner predict big things only to struggle once it's apparent the improvent curve doesnt carry on in perpetuity.  you might be able to do it, you might get injured again, you might not be good enough.

i run 40 miles a week and my event is 800m.   So 20mlies a week for a 5k is on the low side.

you should post your training and times here so we can enjoy your rise.   Is It Too late for Rio?

• Options

nothing has changed since your last attempts....you failed then. what makes you think you can succeed now as you are doing the same things that led to your previous failures

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

nothing has changed since your last attempts....you failed then. what makes you think you can succeed now as you are doing the same things that led to your previous failures

i didnt really fail, i only did 4 runs, and called it quits because i had too much stuff to do

this time im doing 3 runs per week, with intervals

before i was only doing 1 run each week

• Options

but you are still doing them fats and without a warmup...

• Options

seren nos wrote (see)

but you are still doing them fats and without a warmup...

what should the warmup be like?

once i get down to the 4.75 miler being 40 mins, im going to replace one of them with a long slow run, probably 8 miles

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    What if your 5k PB? Am interested to see how you take 10 mins off it.
  • Options
    Millsy wrote (see)
    What if your 5k PB? Am interested to see how you take 10 mins off it.

no idea

• Options

but your aim is a 35 minute 5 mile.. is that correct....

• Options

a warm up ... a mile of slower running to warm up the muscles before starting on faster running or speed work like intervals

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

but your aim is a 35 minute 5 mile.. is that correct....

yeah

• Options
    SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Welcome back KKD great to hear from you; how is the weight training going? Training looks great btw. no pain no gain is THE way to go image

• Options
    SideBurn wrote (see)

Welcome back KKD great to hear from you; how is the weight training going? Training looks great btw. no pain no gain is THE way to go image

i had some bad knee problems for about 5 months in the gym

i fixed it, and im now stronger than ever

over double bodweight deadlift for reps, my squat is better than ever also

all these people saying im going to get injured from running hard, nah bro

not when you squat well over your bodyweight for reps, my knees are strong as fuck, same goes for my core

• Options
    Why do you come on a forum, ask for advice then shoot down anyone who gives it to you?

You aren't going to get anywhere because your training sucks, you don't listen to people who know what they're talking about and you won't take a tiny amount of time to do any sort of research.

I think it'll be a couple of weeks, you'll give up and disappear like before. Keep the asininity coming in the meantime though. It's amusing.
  • Options
    Ian7 wrote (see)
    Why do you come on a forum, ask for advice then shoot down anyone who gives it to you?

You aren't going to get anywhere because your training sucks, you don't listen to people who know what they're talking about and you won't take a tiny amount of time to do any sort of research.

I think it'll be a couple of weeks, you'll give up and disappear like before. Keep the asininity coming in the meantime though. It's amusing.

i think u will find i have listened to people here

i do more runs, and im also going to do longer runs aswell

stay mad buddy boy

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Come on guys, the troll has been fed. Now leave him be and he'll go back under his bridge.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ooh, I remember now. He's less likely to fail spectacularly this time, because his goal is considerably easier. Maybe he'll vanish and reappear in several months with the goal of running 5 miles in 40 minutes. That should be manageable.

• Options

literatin wrote (see)

Ooh, I remember now. He's less likely to fail spectacularly this time, because his goal is considerably easier. Maybe he'll vanish and reappear in several months with the goal of running 5 miles in 40 minutes. That should be manageable.

i know what im doing isnt good for longevity, but im not doing it for long anyway

you telling me if someone told you to cut 15 minutes off your run time as a beginner, in 3 months, or else they shoot you, you wouldnt be able to do that?

its just an experiment, it will be interesting to see what i can do, and whether i fail or not

if i do, ill chalk it up and laugh with you lot, but at least i grafted HARD

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I think when I was a beginner runner I used to run 2 and a half miles and it used to take me about 25 minutes. I still can't do it in 10 minutes, so it's probably just as well no-one threatened to shoot me.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Kkd,

Sign up for parkrun as Kkd, do the parkrun all out and show us where you are starting from. A 35 min 10k is easy if you are young, slim, male and not afraid to train properly. If you strike out on any of those elements you are going to struggle to get under 40 minutes. If you are over a bmi of 25 you will find 45 mins tough.
  • Options
    literatin wrote (see)

I think when I was a beginner runner I used to run 2 and a half miles and it used to take me about 25 minutes. I still can't do it in 10 minutes, so it's probably just as well no-one threatened to shoot me.

well i can do 2.5 in about 19 and i have been running for 2 weeks

its certainly not bad

VDOT52 wrote (see)
    Kkd,
    Sign up for parkrun as Kkd, do the parkrun all out and show us where you are starting from. A 35 min 10k is easy if you are young, slim, male and not afraid to train properly. If you strike out on any of those elements you are going to struggle to get under 40 minutes. If you are over a bmi of 25 you will find 45 mins tough.

im 6'0  12.5 stone

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yes, it's a shame we are not all as talented as you, though in my defence I am a middle-aged woman. However, I can run 5 miles in 30 minutes.

• Options

literatin wrote (see)

Yes, it's a shame we are not all as talented as you, though in my defence I am a middle-aged woman. However, I can run 5 miles in 30 minutes.

thats pretty cool tbh, most people in your age bracket are lazy bums when it comes to exercise

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Oh- sorry folks I thought it was a 10k thread.

5 miles in 35 mins ought to be easy enough for a bloke who is not fat and who trains sensibly.
  • Options
    VDOT52 wrote (see)
    Oh- sorry folks I thought it was a 10k thread.

5 miles in 35 mins ought to be easy enough for a bloke who is not fat and who trains sensibly.

great, so my goal isnt that unrealistic is it?

im young and healthy, its not that insane