Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    Mel, hope the toe doesn't inhibit the walking, golf and swimming. Good decluttering exercise there. I'm terrible about holding onto books. I've a collection of Wisdens, almost a complete post war run of them. They would be the last to go! The visit of your grandchildren has stimulated quite a bit of sorting and tidying. With ours being so local we don't have this issue.

The dental episode wasn't too bad (other than the bill) but I did get a bit nervous when he got his laser out. One more appointment and then I'm done....but not for long I fear.

30 minute run today. It was a little hilly but felt far harder than it should and I'm putting that down to the humidity.

Om now looking to replace my beloved Saucony Endorohin Speed shoes. The best I've ever had. Should I get the discounted  2 version or the brand new 3s? Hmm.....after what I'm paying the dentist it might have to be the 2s!
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    JB - the toe is inhibiting everything at the moment! I even chose to drive to the mobile branch of Lloyds Bank which was in the village today that I'd normally walk the half-mile to. A wasted journey as it turned out as the technology was playing up. So I'll go to the (non-mobile) branch in town on Friday. I've had to be quite firm with myself with this book de-cluttering reminding myself I've not looked at a lot of them for weeks (months, years!). I've kept some reference/instructional books but a lot of the novels are going. Well done re the 30min run. No contest as far as I'm concerned - why go for the more expensive model in this season's colour if you can get the same make/model you know and love cheaper?
  • Options
    I'm here and have flagged the spammer :)
  • Options
    I'm here too - and have also flagged the spammer :)
  • Options
    I've flagged it too.
    I'll try to catch up tomorrow, but I've been so busy, and still am with sorting things out at home. Nothing serious though, just time consuming.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel sorry to hear that you are still having problems with your toe. How annoying to have wasted your time today going to Lloyds mobile bank branch, better luck at the proper branch on Friday. At least you are able to put your enforced spare time to good use, all those jobs would need to have been done anyway so it's a bonus that you've managed to get so much done now. I do appreciate Steve's help at XC, and yes he does record the rugby, but generally falls asleep watching it due to being so tired. 

JB I'd go for the cheaper model too. Well done for your 30 minute hilly run in humid conditions - rather you than me.

HS I've flagged the spammer too. Glad to hear you are just busy, and nothing worse.

Pilates today, plus some circuit training. Hoping to get out for a run tomorrow. I had a physio appointment booked for next week, but due to Steve booking something else on the same day I've had to bring the appointment forward to this Thursday. Probably just as well as my calves are still a bit tight.

• Options
    Thanks for the scammer flagging.

Mel, that toe is proving to be stubborn. At least you always have plenty of things to fill your time.
    On the banking issue, the move towards mobile banking is as we all know a symptom of a bigger syndrome, the death of local shops.
    As a case study, when I was growing up there was a parade of shops nearby: a butchers, 2 green grocers, 2 sweet shops, a chemist, a post office etc. Now there seems to just fast food outlets and charity shops. All a bit sad.

Aqua, pilates and circuit training sounds pretty full on. Do you do your circuit training at home or go to a gym? As you've come to appreciate, I'm a bit of a nutter about that sort of thing. I've never really grasped the concept of a rest day, especially since I gave up work and have plenty of (over) training time.

HS, are you undertaking a Mel style major decluttering?

Right: I'm going to apologise in advance as I said I wouldn't mention this again. However, I received an email telling me that I have indeed been selected to run for the England masters age group team.
    The event will be next year, a 10k in Chester.
    So my pessimism was unfounded and the selection was based on gun times and not chip times.
    I am dead chuffed! I was the fat lad who was last to be selected for football and dreaded sports day. And a special thanks to Aqua whose comments nudged me to have a go.
    This evening l have the 4 mile x country race.......

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Congratulations John, well deserved 🙂
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    I’m delighted about your news JB. You must be feeling on top of the world, I bet your club will be super impressed and Mrs JB must be very proud of you. Enjoy your 4 mile XC tonight (just don’t get injured!)
    I’m steering clear of gyms still (Covid concerns) so do the circuits at home. 
    When is your Chester 10k?
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

HS - we'll see you when you're not so busy!

JB - we need you to flag that spammer as well for it to disappear (I think it needs five flags to remove it). Huge congrats re being selected to run for the England Masters age-group team. The mobile bank's problem was their laptops/tablets weren't picking up the local wi-fi hotspot - they assure me the new tablets will not have the same problem in future. 

Aquarius - I'd have been more irritated if I'd bothered to walk to the Lloyds mobile branch rather than drive - as it was, I only wasted 10 minutes. I'm driving into Cheltenham anyway on Friday to drop off Margaret and the grand-daughters as they're doing pottery painting and some 'shopping' - so I can stop off at the bank while I'm there. Well done re the pilates and circuit training.

The toe-joint and swollen foot seem to be better today so it looks like it's on the mend (crosses fingers). As I mentioned, I'll get some new walking socks and go for some exploratory walks to see how my feet react. Plan B is still to get some new walking boots. Margaret did wonder if wearing the boots the day after the 5ml ramble to cut the lawns was partly the cause? - not sure myself.

I've just spent around an hour checking the CG website. The cycling road races are taking place in Warwick on Sunday - the day we take the grand-daughters back home. I didn't find the website THAT easy to follow but I think I have it sussed now. It appears I'll be able to drive up the Western side of Warwick on the A46 and approach the house from the North like I usually do. As far as I can tell, there is 'limited access' on the road I'll be using to get to their house. Which I think equates to the road being open but possibly with some sort of 'checkpoint' where someone will want to know where I'm heading. But I won't be anywhere near the part of town where the road closures are so I should still be able to drive them home. If I've got it wrong, we may have to walk from outside the limited area to their road (less than a mile).
  • Options
    Aqua, March 2023 tbc.

Mel, the flagged spam had gone and I mistakenly flagged your spam killer messages! I cannot be trusted. Many apologies.
  • Options
    Good afternoon all,

I'm still here, but haven't posted "properly" since Sunday. There are nearly 2 pages now since then to catch up on. I hope to do that tomorrow, but obviously will just be a summary, otherwise I would be on here all day🤣.

I ran 10 miles on Monday in the forest with Sarah F and Tracy, and did a hill reps session in the forest this morning with Mike. It comprised 6 reps with 50 metre sprints on the gravel track at the top. Garmin connect said "Peaking" and that I was in ideal race condition. Hopefully, that will mean that I will do a quicker parkrun on Saturday.

Sarah H is still having problems with her calf, which we think it may be due to her fall on Wednesday, as well as doing the interval session with me.
  • Options
    HS, how good to be in 'peak' condition! Which PR are you planning?

Did a tough x country last night. This was a league event but my club isn't affiliated.Awaiting results so not sure how I did. 7k approx and averaged  4.47 minute kms which seemed about right on a hilly course with loads of rabbit holes, exposed tree roots and narrow uneven tracks.
    The tank was emptied!
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel Are you all sorted out now and ready for your granddaughters visit? I hope the cycle race on Sunday doesnt cause you any problems getting them back home. How's the toe, still improving?
    HS Sorry to hear that Sarah is still having problems with her calf, did she twist it when she fell? Great to get a "peaking" from Garmin. 
    JB Of all the natural obstacles you come across in XC rabbit holes are the worst in my opinion. Tree roots can generally be spotted and avoided, but those pesky rabbit holes lie in wait to catch an unsuspecting foot and twist it. Particularly the ones that are hidden in long grass. Your time was very  good for a course like that, did you enjoy it ? (I bet you did.)

7x300m repeats for me today. I ventured up to the school track again, wondering what I would find this week, but no van and only a couple of dogs on leads, so that was okay. The various niggles I've had this week seem to be moving around my body, with today's niggle being my left hamstrings. I noticed a tightness when I got up this morning so took a long time stretching before going out, then when I got to the track I only put in about 90% effort on the repeats to be on the safe side. I've got a physio appointment later today so I'll see what she has to say.
    (Going back to Saturday's cramps - I suddenly remembered that I wore my trail shoes as it had been raining quite a bit the previous days. As the trail shoes are lower than my road shoes, and have no cushioning, I'm wondering if that was a contributing factor, although having said that I've never had cramp before when I've worn them on hilly courses)
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Afternoon all,

JB - sorry but had a chuckle at you flagging the spam-killers as spam rather than the spammer :) Well done re the XC run.

HS - I wouldn't worry too much about catching-up properly .. I suspect we've mostly been talking twaddle anyway ;) Well done re the 10ml forest run and hill reps.

Aquarius - we're almost ready for the grand-daughter's arriving later on. Just the beds, currently stacked on end in the corner of the spare room, to be re-positioned and made up. We'll see what Sunday brings but as the road races will probably be over by the time we are arriving in Warwick, I don't envisage any problems. Sorry to hear about the various niggles - hope the physio has some good advice.

Pleased to say the sore toe/swollen foot is much better today. I had a brainwave earlier - the innersoles of my walking boots feel very firm ie. no cushioning left in them. But I realised I could try the innersoles of my 'old' running shoes which are used in the garden. They fitted perfectly and made an instant difference. I still need to actually try walking in them - but this may be one way of making the boots more comfortable and avoiding any re-occurrence of the current problem. 

Having finished de-cluttering the books from the spare room I now have three boxes (100 books) to get rid of. They've been secreted under a desk in the study for the time being and  I've emailed my book circle ladies to see if they want any of them.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, good to hear that your swollen toe/foot is feeling better, and that you are experimenting with swopping the inner soles from an old pair of running shoes, into your walking shoes. I hope this does the trick.

I note that you have 100 books to get rid off. Have you read them all? At present, I am working my way through my collection of Dennis Wheatley paperbacks, which I have accumulated over the years and not read. 

JB, It's the Bartley parkrun again. Well done for the tough cross country with an average pace of 4.47 min kms.

I know just how you feel with the parades of shops being replaced with charity shops, fast food outlets etc. It's not too bad in Hythe, but we do seem to have a lot of cafe's , hair dressers, charity shops etc. All the Banks, except HSBC have closed, and are still empty. 

I'm not actually decluttering, but in the process of purchasing a replacement gas boiler, for the current one which is 9 years old, and a bit unpredictable. This is what has been taking up much of my time during the last few days. Firstly a virtual survey entailing lots of photos indoors and outside, then phone calls, texts, emails, and then fixed price quote etc. So many different depts. involved. The actual delivery and installation won't be until the 1st and 2nd of September, so I've got several weeks to wait. 

Fantastic news that you have been selected for the England Masters 10k age group, based on gun time. I thought it was rather odd when you originally missed out on chip time. Results are always on gun times. That's how I missed out on the last Solent Half Marathon 1st place in the 70+ category, as my chip time was quicker than the winners gun time.

Aquarius, I think that Sarah's calf problem is 50/50 the fall, and muscle pull during the speed work, which didn't "surface "until the next morning. She is feeling better this morning, after using a foam roller last night on it. 

Well done for this mornings 7 x 300 metres on the school running track. Glad to hear that there was no van, and only a couple of dogs which didn't cause any problems. I hope your appointment with the physio today will produce solutions to your stiff calves etc. I note that you are doing your circuits at home, due to Covid concerns.

This morning was a solo 3.89 mile road run, at recovery pace, after yesterdays hill reps. It was much hotter than forecasted, and a very sweaty run. It is forecast even hotter at the weekend, which doesn't bode well for Saturdays parkrun.
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Aqua, well I sort of enjoyed it. The best bit was that I have a friendly rivalry with a VW50 and I beat her by a couple of seconds!

Mel, pleased to hear that you might have a solution to the toe problem. Golf next week  then?

HS, a very full posting. Good luck with the central heating. Nine years for a boiler doesn't seem very long?
    We had ours done last year. Really pleased as it was far cheaper than we expected and behaved itself during winter and was a vast improvement on our dreadful old system. At least you'll have it done before Autumn.
    I still intend to run Bartley, but my sister's move is on hold for now. She should be in by September.
     On the gun v  chip issue, it was my reflexive pessimism that jumped to the wrong conclusion. Your analysis
    makes more sense!

A second successive rest day today. The x country race took a lot out of me. Parkrun tomorrow. My home track with the dilemma of whether I tell my PR friends about my selection for England. I could just turn up in the vest....but it's not arrived yet! And if it had, I don't think I would .

PS if anyone wants to look at the x country race, there's a 6 minute clip on YouTube on the Film My Run channel, called Killer Rabbits! The guy that produces this stuff is very good. Thankfully I'm not in the clip!
  • Options
    Good morning all, 

JB, I remember you replacing your boiler last year, and being pleased with it. I hadn't planned to have mine replaced, but it started "playing up" and being unpredictable. Thankfully, it seems ok now, so hope it behaves until the replacement is installed. 

It will be good to meet up again sometime at Bartley. 

The gun v chip is quite contentious, but we will have to accept that gun time will always be taken in races. Chip time is really for our own satisfaction as to what time we actually ran after crossing the start line. 

A bit of a conundrum for you at tomorrow's parkrun. Perhaps don't tell them until after the race. If the vest had arrived, and you wore it, it would probably put you under enormous pressure to perform. A shame you aren't in the x country clip.

A running rest day today, but have done the Farmers Walk. The shopping was heavier than usual, so I stopped once, to swap the bags over to the other hands🙂
  • Options
    John, I was looking at old race results on fetcheveryone, and our finishing time for the Hayling 10 miles was 1.19.12, average 7.55 minute miling.
  • Options
    HS, my training partner mentioned the last time I saw him that he was keen to do the Hayling run this year. Would you ever run it again? I'd like to think I could shave a bit of my previous time, although I remember being pleased with that time. It was that finishing sprint with you that was the highlight!

On the vest thing I felt like a bit of a hypocrite as I recall once being rather dismissive of someone who rocked up in a GB vest!
  • Options
    I've flagged the spammer.. I hope!

Big turnout at the parkrun of 500, including 3 in my age category who are England squad runners at 3 different distances!

One of them denied me a category win, but I care not because my 20.17 was not only my best since becoming 65 but my best time  in my time on the planet!

Age grade was 84.22% which was  2nd best of the day.Not sure where this form is coming from but I am not complaining.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 

JB, I probably won't run the Hayling 10 miles again, as I'm tending to only do races nearer to home nowadays. 

Very well done for today's parkrun! That is a fantastic time and WAVA. My quickest aged 65 is 22.08 which I thought was good, but nowhere as good as yours.

I was pleased with my modest 28.16 WAVA  68.25% this morning, as I felt that I was running "within myself"  The final 50 metres was a flat out sprint with another runner, which I just won. He said he was 65, so 11 years younger than me. 
  • Options
    HS, great sprint from you. Picture depicts a nice T shirt and dodgy model!

• Options
    A great photo John! Wear that t-shirt with pride 😀

The chap I sprinted to the finish got a PB, so that was good.
  • Options
    Social run today with my running neighbour and his friends. Lovely 5 miler through some woodland which was nice and cool at 08.00.
    Very enjoyable leisurely pace and I can see why folk enjoy running without beasting themselves!
  • Options
    A solo 8 miles in the forest this morning at a nice steady pace. 
  • Options
    Spammer has gone! 😁👍
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone - catching up after a busy weekend. Please excuse a generic 'well done' for your recent training.

My close friend rwspamkiller1 has been and gone and the spammer's post has been removed :)

HS - hope to try out the walking boots with innersoles from the running shoes in the next day or two and will report back on how it goes. I've read most of the books I'm giving away but not all of them. I hope your replacement gas boiler installation goes without any hitches. 

JB - no golf this week as Alan is already playing twice and is away for a couple of days. I want to rest my foot a bit more anyway - so probably next week before we play together again. Congrats on being selected for England and hope you wear your vest with pride - but I can understand you hesitating to wear it a parkrun and having a 'virtual' target on your back.

We took the grand-daughters back yesterday so peace and quiet have returned to our house. Just kidding - they are lovely and much better behaved now they're older and can entertain themselves. I mentioned a possible problem getting to their house via the A46 because the CWG road race was taking place. Margaret's son Phil contacted us to say the A46 which I was planning to use was shut because of a burst water main. He knows all the back roads around Warwick so we arranged to meet up in a village called Snitterfield about 4mls south of Warwick. We had fun while the girls were here. They enjoyed the pottery painting on Fri and Go Ape on Sat. Yesterday we took them to an escape room - we had a time limit of 1hr and between the four of us we worked out the puzzles and escaped with 22 secs to spare!

Several u3a things on this week - just got back from coffee & chat but giving country dancing a miss because of my foot. We're off to the cinema tonight to see the film adaptation of "Where The Crawdads Sing" which is of the books we read last year. And we have our book group meeting tomorrow afternoon having just read "Crow Lake".

Seeing as the weather is due to warm up again this week I must get out early into the garden one morning to cut back some of the hedge as it's garden waste collection time again on Friday. 

• Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 

Well done spamkiller!

WtnMel, I hope the experiment with the inner soles is a success, and looking forward to hearing about the outcome. I'm keeping my fingers crossed 🤞 re the replacement boiler. 

Glad you enjoyed the company of your granddaughter's, and can Imagine the difference now they are back home. Mike's granddaughter has recently returned home, and he is now able to continue with his projects. Saturday's parkrun didn't seem the same without her being there.

I hope you enjoy your visit to the cinema 🎥 this evening, and tomorrow's book group meeting. 

Good luck with the hedge trimming  

Very hot again this morning, and I ran 10.33 miles in the forest with Sarah F and Tracy. Sarah H's calf still isn't 100%, but she went for a swim with a friend yesterday, and a bike ride this morning with another friend. She had an appointment earlier with her physio for a spot massage. Hope this will help it to recover. 
  • Options
    Mel, pleased to hear that the toe is getting better. You gave your granddaughters a fun time. I'm impressed! Hope the film lived up to expectations.

HS, some good training there. 10 miles plus in this heat is admirable, although I guess that there's a bit if shade in the forest. 

Brutal session for me this morning. I wanted to get out early to avoid the heat but was a but later than ideal. So, headed for the cemetery where at least there's some shade.
    However it's also quite hilly so I did a 20 minute session of short but fast hill repeats, with 15 second rest between reps. Brutal.

Shame that the CW games are over, but we've got the European Championships in a few days.....