Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - my u3a buddy and I have just cancelled our planned golf for today. The rainfall radar shows rain approaching, starting just after 12pm and staying around for two hours. So we'll try again next week. But I also need to re-arrange with Alan and he's got to drive his partner to a hospital appt on Fri so we'll have to find a different day to play on.

As I said to my u3a buddy, I have plenty to do here at home rather than walking around the golf course in the rain! :)  
  • Options
    WtnMel, that's a shame that the likely rain has caused you and your u3a buddy to cancel today's golf match. 

There is always plenty to do around the house. 

It's rain free here at present, but heavy rain and wind expected tomorrow. 
  • Options
    I’ve been trying to find the time to post for a few days now, but as usual something always gets in the way, so a brief update and I hope to post more fully tomorrow. (HS Sorry to hear that your race was cancelled, but probably the right decision considering the conditions. I’d been looking forward to reading your race report too :/ ). 

I ventured up to the track last week, 6 x 400ms with 60 second recoveries. I had hoped to do a bit more however the arrival of dog walkers scuppered that idea. It beats me why people think it’s a good idea to walk a dog around a running track, when there’s miles of open grassland and trails close by. A couple of days later I did my long hilly run, about 7.5 miles with a total ascent of 241 metres which includes a 1.5 mile uphill section. It’s a mixture of trail and road, with some of the trail parts had a lot of standing water. I repeated the same session yesterday and found the conditions even worse, with some roads and trails completely flooded in parts. I’m undecided where to run tomorrow as the track will be flooded again after the recent heavy rain (it was pretty bad last week for my 400m sets). I’m just hoping this next storm won’t make things even worse. We’ve spent the last couple of days taking the wood from a dismantled shed over to the sailing club at the reservoir for their bonfire, and we’ve still more to take tomorrow! I’ll be surprised if they can set fire to it though after all this rain. 

• Options
    Morning all,

I’ve been reading over the posts I’ve missed this last week, so will do a quick catch up.

WtnMel I see you have become a u3a RUM! Although reading on I note that rather than being alcohol related it is more along the lines of helping out at meetings. I see your IT skills have been called on again, this time for your swim club where you are already a RUM judging by the various roles you undertake. The inclement weather has ruined the chances of getting some golf matches in, but you and Margaret have managed a trip to Croome and you have done some walking. More decluttering? You must have the tidiest house (and garage) in your street.

0054 I’m very envious of your trip to Keswick, but sorry to hear you had problems with your electricity. Good news that Mrs 0054 was well enough to undertake the trip. 

HS As I said yesterday, I’m sorry your New Forest 10 miler was cancelled. It’s really annoying when you’ve trained for an event and been looking forward to it for it be get cancelled at the last minute. It was lucky that you saw the email in time. I suppose it’s a hard call for race organisers, a case of damned if they do and damned if they don’t. At least the weather didn’t stop you getting out with the Monday crew, I hope the storm that’s due tomorrow won’t impact on you too much. The forecast sounds quite bad for the south.

I lay awake last night listening to the rain and wondering where would be the best place to run today. I had intended going to the track but I knew it would be flooded, and having done a few hilly runs recently I didn’t want to go to the park (where you are either running uphill or downhill) so I opted for a road run that includes some off road bits too. Even that had standing water in places, so what with wet feet and twice getting a cold shower from passing cars I was quite glad to get home and have a hot shower. I wouldn’t be surprised if a number of parkruns are cancelled again this weekend. We’re off to the reservoir again shortly, with another load of wood for the sailing club’s bonfire, I’m just hoping for their sake that the storm won’t destroy it before the bonfire party, which takes place on Saturday night.
  • Options
    Aquarius, thanks, I'm sure that the Organisers made the right decision to cancel the race. 

You have certainly been doing some quality training. I think that you made the right decision this morning to run mainly on roads. We haven't run in the forest for over a week. I think you are right that many parkruns will be cancelled again on Saturday. 

I hope that your bonfire party on Saturday doesn't get spoil by the adverse weather. The forecast here is awful for this evening and Thursday. An Amber warning for wind, and Yellow for rain. 

We had a good road session this morning which was rain free, except for a freak downpour lasting just a few minutes. It was 5.56 miles comprising 6 hilly circuits, run out and back.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - I hope everything is battened down as it looks like you'll be getting up to 80mph winds where you are. But glad to see you managed a good road session this morning.

Aquarius - maybe the dog walkers like to know exactly how far they've walked? Can't think of any other reason for them to walk on the running track instead of footpaths. Well done re the (interrupted) track intervals and long hilly run which you did twice. I think you're right about the old shed wood being too wet to burn. Re the swim club technical stuff, the new website admin finally managed to explain to me what he needed to do and how - but I gather he's hit more problems and had to raise an incident with the hosting company. Ahem - there's nothing tidy about our house or garage (definitely both a work-in-progress!!). I see from reading further on you opted for a road run but got cold and wet - I expect the hot shower was very welcome to warm up again.

Wouldn't you just know it. Half an hour after Dave and I cancelling our golf yesterday, the sun came out and stayed out - we would probably have got away with golf without getting wet. Instead, I 'pottered' in the garage looking through what's there. Among the more interesting discoveries were some cable tidies and some plastic leaf-guards for putting in gutters to stop them clogging up.

We've been having problems with our Panasonic recorder lately - pictures breaking up and some things not recording properly. I have a secondary (BT) recorder which was linked to it and I moved it to the conservatory in case that was cause by weakening the tv signal. But the problem has persisted. So this morning I moved the BT box back in to the living room and linked them together. Only to discover the Panasonic recorder can no longer tune into any of the tv channels. My suspicion that the tuner in the Panasonic might have been on its way out seems to have been confirmed. So the BT box is now the main one (we can use the Panasonic to watch stuff already recorded) and I shall start looking for a replacement Panasonic recorder. Just as well Black Friday is almost upon us! :)
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Postscript: It turned out I was able to buy the same Panasonic recorder from my local Richer Sounds. It should be at the local store tomorrow for collection (and having checked back, the previous one was 6 years old so no longer under any kind of guarantee).
  • Options
    Good morning all,

Weather doesn't seem too bad at the moment, but I don't think that I will risk a run.

WtnMel, that's a shame that it would have been possible to play golf with Dave after all. As it happened though, you made good use of your time by pottering in your garage.

That was lucky that you were able to buy another Pansonic recorder, which was the same as your previous one.

It's brightened up a bit now, so I might risk it and pop out to buy a paper. 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

HS - I don't blame you for thinking about not venturing out for a run .. but I see it brightened up and you were debating popping out for a paper.

I've had a phone call this morning to let me know the new Panasonic recorder is already at the shop ready for collection. Given how wet and windy it is today, I told them I'll call in tomorrow to collect it.
  • Options
    WtnMel, I did pop out for a paper, it's a mile walk there and back, so better than nothing. 

That's good news that your new Panasonic recorder is in the shop, awaiting collection. I think you have made a wise decision to wait until tomorrow before picking it up. 
  • Options
    I hope no one has had any serious issues from this latest storm. We've had some flooded roads and the Derwent Walk is more like the Derwent River at the moment, but the sun is shining today and hopefully everything will dry up soon and normal service will be resumed :)
    However it did get us thinking about the coming winter and how quickly our normal running routes can become dangerous, so we've decided to buy a treadmill for those times when running outdoors is a problem. The annoying thing is we used to have one when we lived at the coast but got rid to it when we moved over here rather than have the bother of transporting it and getting it set up again (plus the fact we were initially in rented accommodation for a number of months and had nowhere to store it). This new one we've bought is a cheaper model than our last one so I'm keeping fingers crossed that it will be okay, the reviews are good but then I know it's a bit iffy to rely on reviews. It's due to come next Thursday, so will let you know how we get on.

WtnMel you were lucky getting a replacement Panasonic recorder so quickly, and good that you managed to get the same model - no need to have to plough through a pesky instruction manual.

HS Have you heard if your parkrun will be on tomorrow? Surprisingly I think most of ours are going ahead, although I expect they will be a bit soggy.
  • Options
    Just popped in to say that there has been a major breakdown in the pumping station, and there has been no water supply since yesterday. Bottles of water are being handed out. There is a huge queue of traffic waiting to collect their Bottles, from all directions, stretching back to the main road. It's a nightmare! I'm on the priority list and haven't been delivered any, and others on the list also haven't had any.  They have had to join the queues Luckily, I never had to use any of the Bottles from the last breakdown, so can use them. I can't run because I can't shower.☹️☹️
  • Options
    The Bartley parkrun will almost 100% be cancelled. The park was on the local BBC news yesterday, showing that it was flooded.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your water supply hillstrider I hope it comes back on quickly. 
    Glad you've got the recorder back WtnMel, I think I have one too but rarely use it..
    Aquarius I'm not a fan of dreadmills but sometimes needs must. As long as you are confident it will get used. Dogs on a track is mental, what are people thinking...?

The weather in Keswick was OK and I managed a few runs. We came home today to find no TV due to an aerial problem- from the bad weather I guess. Our local parkrun us on tomorrow. It's pacer week so I'll volunteer. My wife is planning her first park walk since her operation so fingers crossed 🤞. 
  • Options
    0054 You're not having much luck at the moment, electrical problems at Keswick and now issues with your TV. I hope you can get the aerial fixed soon (although there's rarely anything worth watching). I take your point about using the treadmill. We didn't use it that much when we had one before, but didn't have that many occasions at the coast when the weather prevented us from running outdoors.  Now that we live in a more hilly area we find the weather can be quite challenging. Our runs can be anything from 500ft to 900ft above sea level. It's frequently very windy, and in the winter we often get snow, which can last for quite some time. The first year we moved here we couldn't use the car for weeks due to the dangerous conditions on the estate (which like everything else around here is on a hill, and our house is at the top of the hill!) I hope your parkrun went well this morning and your wife managed to do her first parkrun since her op.
    HS Oh no, no water? What a disaster, how lucky that you've still got the bottled water from the last breakdown. It would have been quite alarming if you couldn't get hold of any - so much for having a priority list! It must be very annoying that it has prevented you from being able to run, I hope it gets sorted out asap.
    Blackhill parkrun for us today. Probably our least favourite one due to the hills (total elevation over 100m) but the closest. We opted for this one because Steve had to be at the coast before 12 today for a meal at his rugby club. They are also unveiling a war memorial to past players before the game kicks off.
    It was a pretty muddy run at Blackhill this morning, and hard work, reminding us why we don't usually go to this one. :/
  • Options
    00, thanks, the water came back on in the middle of the night, so it was good to have water this morning. 
    I hope your marshalling at the parkrun went well, and that your wife successfully completed her parkrun walk. 

Aquarius, I see that you have decided to purchase another treadmill, because of the dreadful weather these days. 
    The Bartley parkrun actually did go ahead, much to my surprise. I didn't run it though, as I had already made up my mind not to.
    As I said in my above post, I have got the water back on again which was quite a relief. There are still thousands though in the neighbourhood, including Sarah H, that are still waiting. There were really long queues again this morning of drivers waiting to collect more bottles of water. Although I didn't need any more water bottles, it was annoying to see that many households that weren't elderly, did have bottles on their doorsteps. 
    Well done to you and Steve for doing the Blackhill parkrun. 
    That must have been nice for Steve, for the rugby club lunch, and the unveiling of the War Memorial to past players.

The weather was better than expected this morning, just intermittent rain, and I ran a solo hilly 7k on roads.
    I can't remember whether I have mentioned it, but the Oakhaven 10 miles that should have been on November 19th had also been cancelled. 
    The sun is shining ✨️ now. 
    I've got my hearing test Tuesday afternoon, which is 2 years since the last one. 
  • Options
    Good to see you have water again HS, although not so great to read that thousands of others are still waiting to be reconnected. What a shame that the Oakhaven 10 mile race has also been cancelled as I believe you were intending to do it. I see you managed to do a solo 7k yesterday, let's hope the weather returns to more normal conditions now.
    A 6 mile run for me this morning on my hilly route. The weather was quite nice, a bit chilly but the sun came out after a while. We have the grandchildren coming around tonight to set fireworks off in our garden, they can't use theirs because they back onto woodland (at any rate that's their excuse). No doubt we'll be "popular" with our animal owning neighbours :#
  • Options
    Aquarius, thank you. The good news is that the water came on again last night for the thousands that had still been waiting. 

Yes,I had entered the Oakhaven 10 miles, which will now be held in October 2024. I'm not sure whether I will be able to run it, as I will nearly 80 years old ☹️

Well done for this mornings 6 miles run on your hilly route. 

That will be nice having the grandchildren round tonight to have fireworks in your back garden. They will love that.🎆🎉 Karen and I were reminiscing yesterday about when we were children and our parents lit the fireworks and burnt the Guy on the bonfires. She isn't having fireworks in the garden tonight, but might be taking the twins to a display. 

This morning was a quality, hilly 10k road run with Sarah H and Giuliana. They stopped at 5 miles, and I carried on for the remaining 1.22 miles. It was chilly, but dry and sunny. 

I'm gradually working my way through the 14 Charles Dickens novels in my bookcase. I find them very heavy going, with characters with odd names, and sub plots. I'm wading through "Bleak House at present. I read them in bed, and have no problems dropping off to sleep 😴 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

Aquarius - I hope the flooding you've had has now subsided. Probably a good idea to get a treadmill so you can train when the weather is rubbish. You're right - I was able to get stuck straight into using the new recorder without needing to RTFM ;) I see you went to Blackhill parkrun which was hilly and muddy - which (ahem) reminded you why you don't often go to it. Well done re the hilly 6ml run. Hope your neighbours don't get too upset with the noise of the fireworks.

HS - I see the water supply got re-instated but it was good you still had some bottles from the last time given the queues. But I see some others were still without water. Well done re the solo hilly 7k (because you were able to shower again afterwards). Hope the hearing test goes okay. I hope and trust you will still be running next October so you can do the delayed Oakhaven 10. Well done re the hilly 10K with friends. I had a chuckle at your comment of reading Charles Dickens novels in bed at night and having no problem dropping off to sleep :)

OO54 - a friend was amazed I bought a new recorder as she streams anything she wants to watch. I just said I prefer the flexibility of having the recorder immediately available without relying on the wifi and it also allows me to burn my own dvd's or bluray discs if I wanted to keep anything. I see you've been having tv issues with your aerial - hope you've managed to get them fixed.

The new Panasonic recorder is up and running - it looks a bit odd at the moment with just a few things on the hard drive (as opposed to pages and pages of recordings going back many months on the old one!).

The tv connection was a bit 'iffy' and when I went to plug in the new recorder, it came apart. We have a wall unit with a backboard which the tv cable came out through but only via a tiny 1" dia hole. To re-attach the tv cable connector I had to use a chisel and junior hacksaw blade to enlarge the hole in the backboard to something bigger to give me enough room for my hands. It was very fiddly and took ages, accompanied by a lot of swearing. But I eventually got it done and as Margaret pointed out, I probably saved us lots of £££'s by not having to 'get a man in' :) And possibly my imagination, but the tv pictures now look clearer - probably down to the connection being better! The new recorder is perched on top of the old one with the BT recorder on the top of the pile. So we now have two recorders again - and an old recorder which is there so we can access all the old recordings. The tv now has three hdmi cables going into the back of it so I've had to give Margaret a refresher of how to get to things on the various devices ;) 

Hopefully golf tomorrow - Alan and I will check in the morning if the course is open and whether we're able to use our trolleys - the backup plan if they don't allow trolleys is to play on Friday instead. We've agreed that as we're 'old gits', we can't cope with carrying our golf bags. If there's no golf tomorrow, Margaret and I will go out (more than likely to Croome).

It's a quiet u3a week coming up - just social cards on Thu. But the week after there's coffee & chat and country dancing on Mon, the AGM on Tue and then a ramble on Thu.
  • Options
    Good afternoon all, 

WtnMel, thanks the water for everyone came back on Saturday. The hearing test is now at 12 noon, instead of 1.30.

Good to hear that the new Panasonic recorder is up and running. It's always good "not to have to get a man in!"

I hope you and Alan were able to play golf today?

It sounds like a busy week on the horizon 😃

It was a nice bright rain free morning this morning, so we had thought about an 8 mile run in the forest. However, on second thoughts, we decided that a 10 mile road run would be a better bet, as the forest would still be very wet and muddy. We actually ran 10.83 miles, so are pleased with that after yesterdays tough hilly 10k. 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Evening everyone,

HS - I'll usually 'have a go' if the diy in question is something I feel able to tackle. Re-doing a tv connection fell into that category - but the fiddly nature of doing it was not normal. At least having done it myself, I know it should be okay (time will tell!). I mentioned its a quiet week for me this week - Margaret seems to be very busy though so I won't be seeing much of her.

No golf today as when Alan and I checked first thing, the course was open but it was 'carry only' - so we'll keep our fingers crossed we can play on Friday instead. 

So instead of me playing golf, Margaret and I went to Croome instead. It was busier than usual as they had some 'health walks' going on (30, 60, 90 mins) so at one point as we ambled around the gardens, we had to make way for a 'crocodile' of walkers going mush faster than us. It also meant the cafe was busier than usual and when one group of walkers arrived back, they were queueing out of the door. We had our coffees and bided our time and when I saw it wasn't very long, nipped in there quick. They were free coffees today as we bought some re-useable cups to use when we go there - and apparently, we'll get 30p off in future whenever we use them.

We popped into the NT shop for some fudge and also bought a 2024 calendar - it's one we can use to jot down whatever we're up to each day/week. All I have to do is 'train' Margaret properly to use it (she's been a bit lax lately and has been omitting to jot down what she's up to) :)
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    I surprised myself by getting up for an early walk this morning (after a later-than-planned bedtime). I'm glad I did though because it was a lovely morning, the paths and traffic were fairly quiet - and I managed a decent pace all the way round (Garmin informs me I averaged 3.9mph aka. 15:34mm pace). Rather than feeling a bit tired after just 6hrs sleep I feel enlivened :)
  • Options
    WtnMel We use the calendars on our phones, but also jot things down on a wall calendar. I tend to be the one cross checking everything to make sure we don't miss anything because Steve, like Margaret perhaps, doesn’t always remember to enter appointments etc. Well done for persevering with enlarging the hole for the TV cable connector, it sounds like the sort of job Steve insists on doing himself which always turns out to be more fiddly than first anticipated. On the plus side, it does leave you with a nice feeling of achievement though once the work is finished. Good to see that despite a late night you managed a decent paced walk this morning. I find that if I’ve slept badly I can still do a decent run the following morning, surprisingly enough, but by teatime it catches up with me and my energy levels plummet. I hope that won’t be the case for you today. Pity about the golf, but Friday may be a better bet.
    HS More good mileage from you this week, particularly your 10.83 mile road run yesterday after Sunday’s hilly 10k - and you say you doubt you could manage Oakhaven next year?? :D  I’ve no doubt you’ll be there.
    I haven’t read all of Charles Dickens works, but I do pick them up from time to time as we have the full set. I think my favourite is Our Mutual Friend, but I haven’t read it for ages. Perhaps it’s time I looked at it again.

I have a 5k at the coast tonight, so I’m hoping the weather will hold out. No sign of rain here but I think the forecast said there could be some on the North East coast. Either way it will be cold and dark so I’ll have to make sure my chest torch is fully charged.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Aquarius - Margaret is often on her phone chatting to u3a friends so I suggested a link to an online calendar we could both use. But got a 'stern look' in response - so I guess we'll be staying with a wall calendar for now ;) I have Outlook on my laptop and phone so my own personal calendar stays in sync that way. As I mentioned, I just need to get Margaret into the habit of scribbling on the wall calendar whenever she updates her diary. I knew getting to the tv cable was going to be fiddly - at least Margaret didn't object when I explained I was going to have to saw away at the backboard and enlarge the hole to get proper access. The hole in the backboard is inside a cupboard in the wall unit so it's not like it's on show or anything. Hope the coastal 5k went okay and you stayed dry. I'm still managing to walk in the mornings without a torch but I don't think it will be long before I'll be needing it.

I got up and walked again this morning - another fast-paced 4ml one. It was windy and a bit wet but I decided to go out anyway and I'm pleased I did.
  • Options
    WtnMel, I always buy a calendar each year, but I don't really use them. I use a diary and the calendar on my phone. 

It's good to hear that you are doing your morning walks, and at a good pace. 

Aquarius, I see that you use your phone's calendar and also a wall calendar. 

Thanks, Mondays run was at an easy pace so a typical LSD run. I hope to be running this time next year, but one never knows. 

I think that I have read "Our Mutual Friend," but I have another 5 to read before I get to it again. I think "Little Dorrit' is my favourite among those that I have read, but it was many years ago. 

I hope that your 5k went ok yesterday evening, and that the rain held off!

Just the usual Tuesday Farmers Walk yesterday, and my hearing test in the afternoon. It went really well and the tester (I can't remember the official title) said that my results were better than the last test 2 years ago. I told him afterwards that I could also hear the buzzing of the air conditioning which meant that it was difficult to just concentrate on the sounds that I was supposed to push the button when I heard them. He was surprised, saying that the ear plugs were supposed to block out any outside noise. 

The weather this morning was atrocious,  very heavy rain, and really strong winds. It was supposed to be a speed session, but because of the conditions, we opted for a short road run. It was just Sarah H and myself, and we ran 3.7 miles. The roads were flooded in places, so we got drenched by spray from passing cars on a number of occasions. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hello all. We also use personal phone calendars but keep a wall one for family. This is divided into columns- one for each family member so we know where they are and dates the girls are home etc. I must confess that my wife does the maintenance for this.
    A few years back one daughter got me a bespoke calendar purchased online with pictures from our shared chat group from the previous year- so for example in November it has a family or event photo from last November 2022. This proved so popular that I've insisted on a new one every year since for my Christmas present. And this becomes our shared family calender.
    Hillstrider why read those books if they are a bit dull? Hope it doesn't take too long to drop off at bedtime 😉. I'm reading Ken Clarke's autobiography. Not a reflection of my political views (I'm fairly neutral) but have always appreciated his political style. It's been enjoyable revisting the events of the Thatcher years, albeit often very traumatic.
    Was your 5k run a race Aquarius (not the Poly GP series I assume)? I'm not doing the series this year as I don't enjoy racing in the dark.
    Well done on the aerial DIY Wtnmel. I have tried to fix ours but it hasn't helped. There must be a loose connection somewhere. We just have iplayer by Internet until its fixed next week.

My wife did OK at parkrun. Mainly walking but with a few jog efforts. Her legs were sore the next day and she is surprised how rapidly she moved from fit to unfit in a few weeks. We are doing Tyne Green parkrun this weekend and staying in Hexham for our anniversary on Friday, with hotel and posh meal. Then back for a 10k race on Sunday (Heaton Memorial) where I do battle with junior 00 for the family bragging rights. Though I'm pretty sure she will beat me as she did last year. 

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - I think I may suggest a Dicken's for my book group. We try and read a 'classic' every now and then, but haven't for a while. Glad to hear the hearing test went okay and showed an actual improvement (one suspects its probably all downhill once the hearing goes a bit). I don't blame you opting for a shorter road run yesterday given the conditions - hope you dried out quickly afterwards!

OO54 - luckily (I suppose) it's just Margaret and I we need to keep track of, so we can get by with a long, thin wall calendar with two columns. A good idea, and xmas present solved, if your daughter knows to just order you a bespoke calendar each year. I've been reading "Chief Of Staff" by Gavin Barwell, who worked for Theresa May. Not my politics - but interesting nonetheless, to hear some of the inside story of what was going on at the time. Margaret said with one programme I recorded, there was some slight breakup of the picture. So we may need to re-visit the tv connection. Given the fact the current connection comes down from the loft but is hidden away behind wardrobes etc. it will probably be simpler to run a new aerial wire down the front of the house and in beside the front window. Anyway, we'll see if the picture break-up was a one-off before doing anything more. Glad to hear your wife's parkrun went okay - I remember how quickly I got unfit in the past whenever injuries stopped me running for a few weeks. Enjoy your anniversary meal in Hexham and good luck battling OO junior at Heaton.

No walking for me this morning. Our cleaner (once per fortnight) arrives around 8:30am and if I walked and wanted to shower afterwards, I'd be getting in her way. Speaking of which, she asked me to have a look at the steamer she uses for the floors. It's not producing as much steam as usual so she suspects it's been getting clogged up inside with limescale and needs looking at.

Social cards after lunch today - a game of knockout whist then blackjack after our tea and biscuits.

Somehow I doubt I'll be playing golf tomorrow. More rain forecast and when I've checked each day, the course has only been open for golfers carrying their bags (ie. not myself and Alan). Anyway, I'll check again first thing as there's a very slim chance we may be able to use our trolleys.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 

00, that's a great idea having calendars with previous years group chat photos. 

Those books aren't really dull, but require a fair bit of concentration with all the different characters and sub plots. Good for the brain, and I get to sleep almost as soon as I've switched off the light. 

Good to hear that your wife did ok in the parkrun, and good luck for Saturday's Tyne Green parkrun. 

Congratulations for Fridays Anniversary and hotel with posh meal. 

Good luck for Sundays Heaton Memorial 10k where you will be racing your daughter. 

WtnMel, that would be a good idea to introduce a Dickens novel now and again to your book group. 

Thanks, I was pleased with the hearing results. Things generally get worse, not better as we age!

Regarding how quickly we lose our fitness during injuries, I've never got back to the same standard since my menisci tears in June 2017. Before that, I was consistently achieving WAVA's in the mid 70's,  but I am struggling to get mid 60's now. 

Sorry to hear that you had to miss this mornings walk, due to your cleaner arriving at 8.30am. 

Sounds like an interesting afternoon after lunch.

Fingers crossed that the weather won't prevent you from playing golf tomorrow 🤞

It was bright and sunny this morning, but quite chilly 🥶  I ran a solo easy pace 4 miles on roads. My legs were aching a bit after yesterdays struggle with the heavy rain and headwind. 
  • Options
    HS Glad to see your hearing test went well, but sorry to read that you and Sarah H had horrible weather for your run on Wednesday. Luckily the weather improved for Thursday’s run.
    I remember how long you were out of running when you had the menisci tears, and that you kept up your fitness with spinning. I suppose to some extent it’s inevitable as we get older that we struggle to return to former fitness levels. I’m working harder now than I’ve ever done, with both strengthening exercises and training, but still can’t get back to my pre-Covid form. Sometimes i put it down to the after effects of Covid, but at other times I wonder if it is just a consequence of the passing years. I suppose as long as we keep at it and give it our best shot every time we can’t do any more.

WtnMel I hope the course conditions improved sufficiently for you to play golf today with Alan.  You seem to have a never ending supply of DIY jobs lining up for you :p - did you manage to sort out the steamer? Sorry to hear you are still having problems with the TV but you appear to have sussed out how to fix it. 

0054 Yes, Tuesday’s 5k was a GP one, although I have to say I'm getting less and less keen on running at night, particularly over the winter months so this might be my last season. I enjoy the run itself but trailing over to the coast on a cold dark night isn’t much fun, and sometimes we can’t get there due to the weather conditions where we live. So with all that in mind, plus the fact I’m not getting any faster, I feel a bit guilty about taking a GP place when there’s other people more local (and definitely more speedy) who miss out on getting a place in a team. I used to find the handicap system sometimes let me score points for my team, but that’s no longer the case. However even if I opt out of the GP series in future I still intend to continue with XC, which is another event I’m not fast at, but still enjoy :) It’s every bit as cold as the winter GP series (and a lot muddier) but at least it takes place in daylight.
    Glad to hear that your wife was able to manage a bit of a jog at parkrun, that must have been very satisfying for her and an indication that she is well on the road to recovery despite her aching legs the following day. I think all runners know how unfit we get after a short lay off from running but it’s still always a disappointment when it happens, hopefully it’ll be short lived. Enjoy your anniversary meal, and Tyne Green parkrun (another one I keep meaning to visit), I’m also doing the 10k on Sunday, with my eldest son, so may see you there. 

As mentioned above Tuesday’s 5k was a bit chilly but the rain held off. I finished slightly faster than I did in last year’s series, but I was still one of the slowest. However I was happy enough with my effort. On Thursday I went up to the old school track for an 8 x 400m session. As usual the track was flooded in places and very slippery where the grass was taking over, but with a bit of weaving about I got it done. I’m resting now until Sunday’s 10k.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

HS - well done for getting out despite the cold. I expect, like me, you are re-discovering your thermal tops that have lain undisturbed since the Spring :)

As I suspected, no golf today as the course was closed - we'll try again next Fri. Instead, I went into the garage and sorted through some more stuff. But I've come in because (a) my feet were getting cold! (b) a bulb has gone in our main oven so I need to replace it with one of the spares I keep.

Social cards was good fun yesterday but one poor lady just couldn't get her head around how to play whist. She kept getting confused as to why a lower number card (a trump card) was beating a higher number card (of the suit that had lead). And she kept trying to put down a trump when she had cards of the correct suit. And trying to lay down her card before it was her turn. In the end, someone had to sit with her and help her play her hand until she got the idea. After tea, she found blackjack/pontoon much easier to cope with!