Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    Morning all, 

Don't worry Mel, I think that we are all finding it difficult to post regularly. 

I'm sorry to hear about your cramp in the right calf which prevented you from doing a long walk on Tuesday. It's good though you are still participating in country dancing. I hope that you do manage the Cleeve Hill walk today. 

I did the usual Friday Farmers Walk this morning in the dry. Rain was forecast, so it will probably start soon. 

Yet another trendy men's hairdresser's has just opened in the village, and it is almost opposite mine. Apparently this is the trend now, with empty shops becoming hairdressing saloons. 
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all
    HS At one time charity shops seemed to be springing up everywhere, now it seems to be barbers and hairdressing salons. Just goes to show that despite the dire economic climate people are still prepared to pamper themselves. 
    WtnMel I hope your cramp eased sufficiently for you to do your Cleeve Hill walk today, Monday's country dancing must have been very energetic!  ;)
    0054 I can't even begin to imagine how tedious a 13 mile run on the track would have been, you must have been relieved when it was over. A parkrun in Warsaw - how exciting. I wonder if parkrun is very popular in Poland? Even more exciting though will be taking part in the European Masters Athletics Champs in Torun, and you have quite a varied schedule - track, marathon and cross country. Best wishes for all events, looking forward to hearing how it went. 
    No running here, Steve's still nursing his leg and I've been in bed for the last couple of days with a horrible cold that knocked me for six. I'm on the mend now though fortunately but have been left with an irritating tickly cough. Not sure when I'll try a run, probably next week if my cough is better then.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

HS - the country dancing is good fun and the cramp was self-inflicted. I managed my Cleeve Hill walk today (7.5mls and around 600m of ascent in total) and am taking no chances. I drank water on the way round plus a coffee - and have just downed 1pt of an orange juice/water mix which should stop any re-occurrence of the cramp. No rain while I was out on the hill earlier - but it's chucking it down again now. There was an article in the weekend papers recently saying some of these new barber shops (not all obviously) are just a front for laundering drug money.

Aquarius - as mentioned above to HS, I'm happy to have managed a 7.5ml hilly walk without any side-effects (apart from slightly achy legs). That bodes well for June - but I'll have to repeat the walk a number of times to get 'walk fit' for the holiday. Sorry to hear you and Steve have both been suffering a bit with colds and leg problems. 
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited March 16
    No running today, but just wanted to boast that we have some sunshine for a change!
    (Although we did have frost this morning)

Well done WtnMel for your 7.5 mile walk yesterday, I see you took no chances with hydration and it seems to have worked. Btw the physio I go to swears by bananas for preventing cramp (they're high in magnesium). Hope your legs aren't too sore today.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Wtnmel I always wonder about that when I see a nail bar, so many of them around looks very suspicious. Nice walk there 👍
    Aquarius so sorry you are ill. Must be serious if you are in bed. The last time I stayed in bed was with Covid 3 years ago.
    No sunny weather in Warsaw just rain for the parkrun. Lovely friendly volunteers though and free tea. On our way to Torun now and the sun came out. A 3 hour train journey costing £8 each. Amazing. Parkrun was good and I got the v60 record. A nice warm up for the 3000m tomorrow 🤞
  • Options
    Aquarius, I'm sorry that I didn't comment on your horrible cold necessitating a couple of days in bed. I'm glad to hear that you are now on the mend. I see that you didn't run today, but hope that your cough is getting better? I eat bananas every day, as I know that they are high in magnesium.

WtnMel, I'm glad to hear that you managed your 7.5 miles walk up Cleeve Hill yesterday, and were well hydrated. 

I hadn't heard about some of the new barber shops being a front for laundering  drug money. 

00, congratulations for getting the Warsaw Vet 60 parkrun record. Best of luck with tomorrows 3000 metres.

We didn't parkrun this morning due to other early morning commitments, so did an over distance road 5k [3.22 miles]. A shame that we couldn't parkrun as it was a lovely morning, ideal for off road running.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Aquarius - yes, I've heard about bananas. My golfing friend Alan has a plastic banana container for his bananas. Maybe I should ask for one for my birthday!

OO54 - that Warsaw parkrun sounds good and well done re the V60 record. Good luck re the 30000m tomorrow.

HS - well done re the 5k road run.

My legs feel fine today after yesterday's hilly walk - and no cramp during the night. But I'll inform Margaret she'll be needing to get more bananas in future. It's funny .. when I think back to when I was working my lunch box invariably contained a banana, a satsuma or an apple and sometimes even grapes. I used to eat loads of fruit in days gone by ..
  • Options
    Evening all,

WtnMel, thanks. 

Good to hear that your legs were ok after Fridays hilly walk, with no cramp in the night. 

I ran a hilly road 10k this morning with Giuliana. The rain held off, and in fact, it hasn't rained all day. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Wtnmel same here with the fruit, I really should eat more but I think you get out of the habit. Lots of dried fruit and nuts though.
    Well done on 10k hillstrider, you do love those hills.
    I ended 4th on the 3000m race. So no medals but better placed than I expected so I'll take it. Tomorrow is cross country, with a slight chance of a team prize if we get lucky 🤞
  • Options
    00, thanks,  I do like hills, probably because I can run up them quicker than most of my running friends 😀

Well done for your 4th place in the 3000 metres race. Good luck with tomorrow's cross country. 

This mornings run was 7.52 miles in the forest on gravel trails with the Monday Group. 
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

I didn't Farmers Walk yesterday, as I drove into the village and into the supermarket car park on the way back. 

This morning was 6.27 miles, including 5 x 1k round the 1k loop in the forest, with 2.5 minute recoveries.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

HS - well done re the hilly 10k, the 7.5ml forest run and the 10k with fast bits. I trust you're having a rest day tomorrow.

OO - shame about the 4th place in the 3000 metres. Hope the cross-country went well yesterday.  

We've had our living room and downstairs toilet decorated this week which has obviously necessitated me stripping them of furniture at the weekend and putting things back today. So the morning walks have taken a back seat for a few days.

However, I'm off to Tring tomorrow to see my Mum, so I'll take my sports gear with me and should have time to do a walk in the evening before I eat.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nice long one hillstrider 👍
    Hope your mum is OK Wtnmel and that you sneak a run in Tring.
    I was 6th in the xc but GB got silver as a team with my contribution.
    My legs are very stiff but hopefully will recover in time for Saturday's marathon 
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 

WtnMel,  thanks, and yes, I am taking a day off running today. I did take a brisk walk to and from the supermarket to buy a paper though. 

I hope that you find that your mum is still feeling positive and making progress. Enjoy your walk before your evening meal. 

00, thanks, I'm trying to gradually build up my mileage, without overdoing it. 

Well done for your 6th place in the xc, and congratulations to the GB Team getting silver with the help of your contribution. A great picture of Team M60.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 

Just the usual Friday Farmers Walk this morning. 
  • Options
    Good afternoon all, 

There were 245 runners at this mornings parkrun, which is nearly double the usual. I was pleased with my 121st placing, and 1st AG MV75-80 out of 3. The increase in numbers was probably because it was the last one before reverting to the college grounds. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great run in your age category hillstrider, and in a a big field too.
    Travelling home now after a week in Poland. Rounded off with an age category win in the marathon. A lovely competition and Poland is a fine place to visit- would recommend 👌 
  • Options
    Thanks 00. Congratulations for an age category win in the Poland Marathon.

I ran a hilly solo 7k in the forest this morning. I thought that it would have started to dry up, but how wrong could one be! It was flooded in some places, and thick deep mud in others. I had to keep changing my course. Thankfully, I was wearing my trail shoes, otherwise I would probably have given up.

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

OO54 - well done re the silver medal for the XC .. and I see your legs recovered in time for an age category win in yesterday's marathon.

HS - unfortunately, my Mum isn't making any progress and seems to have resigned herself to having no mobility. I see you did your farmer's walk on Friday and managed a good result at parkrun on Saturday. I can see from those photos you posted how wet the forest still is. As I've been travelling back and forth to Tring, I've been surprised by how much water is still standing in the fields around Oxford and Thame.

As I mentioned, I was in Tring again on Thursday seeing my Mum. I got out for a brisk 4.5ml walk around town after checking in to the hotel. A quick shower and change before heading for the restaurant (there was nothing that appealed at Oxford Services). I had steak and rather than chips, opted for chopped salad. My good intentions were slightly undone however by following that with a sundae! ;)

The Premier Inn 'meal deal' (2 course dinner, drink, breakfast) is something I've been purchasing and always used to save you a few pounds. It was £24.99 in the past, increased to £25.99 a few months ago but is now £26.99 - so not quite as good value. I don't actually 'need' a pint of beer and a pudding with my evening meal - so in future, I think I'll just buy my main meal and will buy some instant porridge for breakfast. Also, Beefeater (owned by the same company Whitbread!) are as bad. They offer coleslaw and salad with one of the other menu items so I asked if I could have some coleslaw with my chopped salad. I was told it doesn't come under the 'meal deal' and would cost an extra £2.99 .. needless to say, I declined their offer.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

I got out for a pre-breakfast 3.5ml walk this morning .. a bit damp at the start but the rain eased off after a short while. All being well, I can get out again tomorrow for another early walk as although I've said I'll take Margaret to Croome, that will just be a slow amble by comparison.

Following on from yesterday's post .. I went to the Post Office and them to Tesco to get some instant porridge. Having done so, I've discovered the ones from Oxford Services (82p) are almost twice the price of the Tesco ones (45p). I knew they'd be a bit more expensive from the services .. didn't think there would be quite that much mark-up :)
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, I'm sorry to hear that your mum isn't making any progress. Well done for Thursdays brisk 4.5 miles walk. 

Steak and chopped salad was an interesting choice. £2.99 for coleslaw, they have to be joking!

Well done for this mornings pre breakfast walk. Oxford Services price for instant porridge is a rip off!

I did a hilly 8k road run this morning with Sarah H. It was bright and sunny, but still a bit chilly.

I've got an appointment on Thursday for my 2 yearly eye check up. I believe I mentioned earlier that a Spec Savers has opened which is opposite. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    In Poland a meal for 2 with dessert and a drink was costing 30-40 pounds in nice restaurants- incredibly good value. Not sure about porridge though 😉
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

HS - well done re your 8k road run this morning .. glad to hear it was bright and sunny. You mentioning your eye check-up on Thursday has reminded me I've still not got round to booking my appointment.

OO54 - that meal for 2 in Poland was really good value. I think porridge must be like Marmite .. you either love it or you can do without!
  • Options
    I can log into RW forums now on my phone, as the pages no longer roll continuously from top to bottom. I don't know why, but it makes things easier. 

Seems like value for money 00, so I'm presuming that portions were good. 

Thanks WtnMel, its been raining all day today, so I'm glad it was just the Farmers Walk this morning. 

I took out a maintenance contract with OVO for my gas boiler when it was 12 months old. I got a phone call this morning to arrange a free maintenance visit in accordance with the T & C's. I was a bit suspicious at first as the phone number wasn't in my "directory" but I decided to see who it was, and it was OVO, so I've saved it.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes shocking weather again today. We are collecting our daughter on route to Keswick where we're having a kitchen fitted. Then back to Tynemouth for Easter with the full gathering of the family for a few days. Life seems very hectic at the moment. Have a lovely Easter folks, hope you get lots of chocolate eggs 🤞
  • Options
    That will be nice 00, a family get together over Easter.

A 4.46 mile run this morning with the Wednesday crew, including 5 hilly laps of 0.37 mile in the Inclosure.

I think that I might have one of the new faulty smart meters. My quarterly gas bill came by post, instead of the usual email, and was much higher than the same quarter last year. I contacted British Gas help line on my laptop and they said to read the meter at the same time for 7 days and submit to them. If they agreed that it was faulty, they would send an engineer to investigate. I didn't know that they had fitted a new meter until I went outside to check.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

HS - glad to hear that annoying problem with pages continually rolling on your phone when browsing the RW forums has gone away. Glad to hear the phone call from Ovo was genuine and not a scam (there are so many scammers these days). Well done re that 4.5ml run with hilly bits. We wondered if our smart meter might be one of the 'dumb' ones. But I read our meters this morning and when Margaret checked online, the readings it had recorded via the smart meter were spot-on .. so I think we're one of the lucky ones who aren't affected by duff bills.

OO54 - enjoy Keswick (if you can while your kitchen is being fitted!). All that's happening over Easter with us is that Margaret's son and family are coming for lunch on Easter Day. I've volunteered to make dinner so Margaret can relax. It's roast lamb so I'll just treat it as a 'larger than usual' Sunday roast (which is something I do most Sunday's). As for easter eggs, Margaret and I bought ourselves one each while we were buying the ones for her family.

Off to Tring again tomorrow to see my Mum and Margaret has decided to come as well. So no need to take my sports gear with me for an evening walk before my meal - or to take my laptop either to save me getting bored in the room - as I'll have someone to talk to! :)
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel thanks. That will be nice, Margaret's son and family coming over for lunch on Easter Day. I see that you have been promoted to chief cook, and bottle washer🤣 Enjoy the Easter eggs!

I hope that everything went ok yesterday during your visit to Tring.

I didn't run yesterday, as I had an appointment for a routine eye test. I was surprised to be told that I had Blepharitis. Basically this is crusty eyelashes. I've never heard of this before, and it is often only discovered during routine eye tests, as there are usually no symptoms. I have to wear a heat mask for 10 minutes in the mornings, and then wipe with a Blephawipe. I tried that this morning and my eyes definitely felt fresher.

This morning was the usual Friday Farmers Walk, and typically, for a non running day, was bright and sunny.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

HS - we had a good trip to Tring and my Mum was pleased to see Margaret after such a long while. One good thing with having M with me was she kept me on the straight and narrow. We ended up getting a salad meal at the services .. so no beer, steak or chips yesterday ! ;) Yes - I'll be chief cook on Sunday but hope the dishwasher will take the strain :) I've never heard of blepharitis .. but good to hear the heat mask and wipe did the trick. I see the weather for your non-running (but farmer's walk) day was better than on a running day.

No exercise for me today - but hope to get out for an early walk tomorrow. However, I made myself useful buy putting up a picture for Margaret .. I did the 'grunt' work by holding it in position while Margaret decided exactly where to have it and then marking out the position of and hammering in the picture hook.