Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Wtnmel have you tried downloading the bbc sounds app onto your phone or laptop. You can see all the bbc radio schedules and even replay the ones you missed. If you connect your phone to a speaker by Bluetooth you can even listen in better sound quality too. Then there are podcasts on there if you are into those- I used to download them for travelling when I worked. Just a thought. I also like radio 4 by the way, and radio Newcastle, my local channel but they have the same annoying bbc ads plugged nonstop as well. 
    We did Darlington parkrun on Saturday, which I can thoroughly recommend. A classic old-style Park. 3 laps on tarmac with good parking, toilets and a nice post run cafe.
    The indoor track race was also a pleasant surprise- a bit like running on carpet. The banks were tricky but not too scary. Anyway I came 2nd and got a shiny silver medal. 
    You are getting some good miles in hillstrider 👍
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all

HS - I haven't tried letting my Mum use my old hearing aids yet but she is really struggling to hear nowadays, which is why I'm tempted. I know she would never think of getting any herself (probably thinks she wouldn't get her money's worth) which is why (joking aside) I considered it.

OO54 - I might consider the BBC Sounds app if it was me. But Margaret has a radio on her bedside table and puts earphones in at night (R4/World Service droning on in the background help her sleep). She is 'old school' and I think she quite likes having the radio pages handy to see what to listen to rather than scanning through something on her phone. I'm into podcasts but she isn't. Well done re the silver medal for the rack race btw.
  • Options
    00, Well done for the silver medal for your 2nd place in the 3,000 metres indoor track race. 
    I'm just 3 miles short of 100 for the month, which I will get on Wednesday.

WtnMel, It's a shame that your mum is losing her hearing.

This morning was a nice chatty 10k on roads with Sarah F and Mike.
  • Options
    Just the usual Friday Farmers Walk this morning. 
  • Options
    A good turnout this morning by the Wednesday Group, 6 of us😃 We ran 4.85 miles, including 6 x 0.37 mile hilly circuits in the forest. I've passed 100 miles for the month. 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - I see you've been keeping the thread going single-handedly the last couple of days :) Well done re the recent 10k, farmer's walk and 5ml run with the Wed group.

I didn't walk early this morning because (a) I was too tired (b) Margaret and I were heading for Croome earlier than usual this morning to miss the 'rush'. In the event, because it was colder than the last few days, Croome was quieter anyway. We were glad of our woolly hats and gloves and did 2mls at Margaret's pace (plus of course, coffees and then lunch afterwards). It was too cold to sit outside so we had to sit inside and put up with the hubbub! ;) 

I *may* go out for a fast walk in a bit. If not, I'll take my gear with me as I'm off to see my Mum tomorrow and driving to Tring in the morning. I'll do what I did last week - see my Mum, check in to the hotel, go for a fast walk, shower and change and then eat - possibly a pasta meal from the services but maybe steak & chips or similar at the Beefeater - not decided yet!
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    0054 Congratulations on placing second in the 3000m at the weekend. Another medal to add to your growing collection. What events do you have planned for February?

HS Well done for reaching 100 miles this month. I see you did some hilly circuits today with the Wednesday group - what are the conditions like in the forest at the moment? We had torrential rain here yesterday causing our local reservoir to flood the surrounding footpaths, which have had to be closed. Today we are back to gale force winds. Is it as bad down your part of the country? 

WtnMel I keep threatening to cancel our RT subscription because there seems to be less and less space allocated for TV listings, but lots of room given over to articles, puzzles, adverts, and other stuff I’m not interested in. However while I’m happy to use Sounds for radio listings I find it a bit laborious trawling through the TV guide listings on my TV set to find what programmes are coming up, so am glad of the RT then, even with all its shortcomings. Well done to you and Margaret for braving the cold and walking at Croome, don’t blame you for going inside for your coffees and lunch, there’s only so much bracing weather one can put up with. Hope you find your mum continuing to improve when you visit her tomorrow. Will you go for steak or pasta? My money is on the steak. :)

A good parkrun on Saturday for Steve and I, with both of us improving on recent times for this course. We called in at the nearby Beefeater restaurant afterwards and were amazed to see two men on the next table sitting down to 6 fried eggs each, nothing else, just eggs. Hardly a balanced diet.  :#
    Due to the rotten weather I did a 5k treadmill run yesterday, and a bit faster than usual. It’s an odd thing but I find it a lot harder running on the treadmill than running outdoors, it’s boring and time seems to pass really slowly but it’s better than not getting a run in. 
    I’m keeping fingers crossed that the weather will improve enough for an outdoor run tomorrow, we had thought of going to the reservoir but seeing the photos of the flooding on Facebook we’ll have to come up with another idea.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    A very cold 6 mile run this morning, and unfortunately my dodgy leg was painful again. It's a bit of a nuisance because I'm planning on doing a XC on Saturday, then there's a 5k on Tuesday night and another XC the following Saturday. I think I'll have to see how things are this Saturday before deciding on whether or not the XC is a good idea. On the plus side I'm going for my (70th) birthday meal this evening with the family, so I'm looking forward to that. 
  • Options
    WtnMel, I hope that your mum is continuing to improve! A shame that the Beefeater doesn't have a more varied menu, but it's not that you have to eat there every time.

Aquarius, thanks. The forest is ok, at present, and we haven't had any rain for several days. We did have gale force winds a few days ago, but it has quietened down now. 

That's good that you and Steve both improved your parkrun times on Saturday.  Who would have thought that the Beefeater would serve 6 fried eggs. I imagine that the two men were pot bellied!

I've never got on with treadmills, and there is no way that I could run 5k on one.

Happy birthday and congratulations for your 70th🎉🍰 I'm sorry to hear that your dodgy leg is painful again. Definitely see how your leg is after Saturdays XC before deciding whether or not to do the 5k and XC the following Saturday. 

I hope that you really enjoy this evenings birthday meal with the family. I trust that you won't be eating6 fried eggs🤣

This morning was a solo 3.37 mile road run at recovery pace.

I'm having lunch tomorrow with Helen and Chris.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2
    Congrats on the 70th, and the  birthday meal Aquarius and sorry to hear about the knee. Has the shoulder issue resolved itself? Mine is still bothering me, mainly when I'm lying on my back in bed.
    I'm with you on the treadmill HS, can't seem to run well on them.
    Hope your mum is doing well  WtnMel. Surely the steak 😋 I rarely eat steak but had my first in over a year at a hotel in Wakefield. It was thr night before my 3000m race so must have done the trick. I'd almost forgotten how tasty steak was.
    We are back in Keswick this weekend and I'll be doing the parkrun tomorrow. No other races planned in Feb apart from the South Shields mile which I may try next Wednesday. Its a monthly series and a good mid week sharpener. There are also the 'signals relays' later in the month (you may know them Aquarius). Teams of 4 * 2miles. I might do this if asked.
    On the way to Keswick we stopped off in Bardon Mill, on the A69. A tiny village with one cafe. We really felt for the owner, struggling to make the business work, so we had an unplanned lunch which was very nice. We also visited the pottery which is still going after several generations in the village, and bought a large salt glazed pot (made on the site), for our doorstep. So it proved to be quite a costly stop!
  • Options
    00, I hope that today's parkrun went well? Good luck for the South Shields Mile  if you decide to do it. 
    That was nice, having lunch in a cafe struggling to make ends meet. The large salt glazed pot will be a nice reminder of your stop in the village. 

This mornings parkrun was a disappointing outcome, but I was 1st AG, so could have been worse. 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Aquarius - you were right to put your money on the steak. The choice of ready meals at the services was rubbish and I've didn't fancy any of them, so steak it was. I see you've had more bad weather and some flooding nearby. Well done for you and Steve's improved times at parkrun. 6 fried eggs? Maybe they thought just protein was what they needed - does sound very odd though. I see you did a 6ml run but your leg was painful afterwards. Hope you enjoyed that birthday meal.

HS - the trouble is that Beefeater is too convenient, being right next door to the Premier Inn .. so I eat there by default. I was also hoping Aquarius wouldn't be having 6 fried eggs for her birthday meal. We'll done re your recovery run and hope you enjoyed your lunch out. Sorry to hear the parkrun didn't bring you the result you were hoping for.

OO54 - sorry to hear your shoulder is still bothering you. I was offered a treadmill by a friend of Margaret's and she was surprised when I said no thanks. Running on a treadmill used to be boring - I can only imagine walking on one would be even more deadly dull. Re steak - for years I've had them 'medium' .. but this week I had it 'well done' and it was much nicer. I think I've had some sort of epiphany. Yes - that stop at Bardon Mill does sound a tad expensive! 

My Mum seemed a bit better when I saw her on Thu. Still very frail though.

I did a fast walk after seeing my Mum - the same 4ml route as the week before, but in reverse. I had booked a table for 6pm and didn't get back until 5:30pm so it was a rush to get showered and changed, but I made it with a minute to spare.

I had a pair of irritating morons near me while at dinner in the Beefeater. You know the sort - having a muffled conversation full of 'in' jokes and laughing loudly and annoying the rest of us (rant over).

No early walk today - I was still worn out from the trip to Tring. I'll see if I can get out tomorrow 

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited February 5
    Just popped by to say I didn't manage to walk yesterday morning. Or this morning either. But that's because I'm off to Pittville Park shortly for a little amble with the coffee & chat ladies. Then at lunchtime Margaret and I are off to Croome for a walk around there. It turns out this week, today is a more suitable day than our 'usual' routine of a visit on a Wednesday).
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    0054 My hip/leg problem seems to have settled down again for the moment. My shoulder is a lot better too, although not 100%. The physios I go to are very keen on postural realignment, and the last time I was there moaning about my hip and shoulder they recommended a site called Movement 101. It’s run by a Canadian physio so I occasionally struggle with her accent, but along with some rather pricey courses she also posts free courses and routines. There’s a good free Shoulder Opener routine on her website. She also posts lots of videos on Instagram. I’ve just started on her (free) routines so don’t know if the improvement in my shoulder is due to them, or just coincidental. I enjoy the Signal Relays, and I'm hoping to do them again later this month. The problem I have is that I am always going to be the slowest one running, so I’m very conscious that whoever gets me in their team will be handicapped. I know this shouldn’t be a concern, and everyone is always very kind about it, but I wish I could run with people of a similar ability to me, then I wouldn’t feel so guilty. I hope you enjoyed Keswick parkrun on Saturday.

HS The egg eating guys weren’t pot bellied, they were more like body builder types (with bigger muscles than brains if their foul language was any indicator of their intelligence). The Beefeater serve a buffet breakfast so there is no restriction on what you can put on your plate, I’ve noticed this often results in people wasting more than they eat. My birthday meal was at an Italian - and not an egg in sight! Sorry to see you were disappointed with your parkrun time, but at least you got first AG.

WtnMel I sympathise with you regarding irritating fellow diners, we’ve noticed that sort of boorish behaviour is getting more and more common lately (either that or we’re just feeling our age). There used to be a television programme called, if I remember right, Grumpy Old Men. They commented on various topics and behaviours and were supposed to come over as amusingly grumpy. I always found their comments perfectly reasonable and suspected if there was a similar programme called Grumpy Old Women I would be right at home on that. I hope your coffee and chat went well today, and you had good weather for your trip to Croome. Fingers crossed you find your mum a bit stronger on your next visit.

I would like lot boast that I was the fastest runner from our club taking part in a Masters XC on Saturday. It’s true that I was the fastest, but also true that I was the only one. :) I enjoyed it though, particularly a sprint finish “shoot out” with a fellow 70 yr old (he pipped me on the line).
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Aquarius - glad to hear your shoulder is a bit better and you've found a website with exercises you can do in between visits to the physio. I think I'm turning into a grumpy old man to be honest! I'm seeing my Mum on Thu and after having put on weight last week, I'm hoping Waitrose will have a decent selection of ready meals as I'd prefer eating a lighter meal in my room than the restaurant. I'll get myself some instant porridge too so I avoid the lure of a cooked breakfast on Fri morning.

My right foot is a bit painful. I think it's down to wearing some new leather shoes yesterday at C&C which aren't flexible enough yet and I need to 'wear them in'. I would have walked this morning otherwise. I'm hoping it will have improved so I can manage a fast walk later this week.

Interestingly, my foot seemed to be fine yesterday at Croome when I wore my walking boots. BTW, we were there later than usual and by the time we went to the cafe they had run out of baked potatoes AND pasties. So we had to make do with scones instead.

I'm over with my son today as its his 46th birthday. We're off out for a meal at the local Beefeater (his choice) so I've alerted Margaret and told her I won't be needing dinner later.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone - my right foot is still a bit painful so no walking this morning. But it's not as bad as yesterday so I'm not hobbling quite so much. I'm fairly happy it's just a bit bruised due to the new shoes and I don't think it's PF (plantar fasciitis) as I'm sure I'd be in a lot more pain if it was. Before my son and I went to Beefeater yesterday, I had an email giving me 33% off food if I spent £30. So we both decided to go for ribeye steak as that meant we got them for £12.53 rather than £18.99 - bargain! :) 
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel that was a well timed email! I hope you both enjoyed your steaks last night, (and happy birthday to your son). Pity about the sore foot, fingers crossed that it is just due to those new shoes and nothing more. A good idea to pick up something from Waitrose for your evening meal tomorrow when you are back visiting your mum. We used to go down to watch the athletics at the Olympic Stadium at Stratford and would stay on for the rest of the week. We'd get sick of eating out all the time and often popped into Waitrose for something light for a change (usually some cooked meats, salads and a french stick, all washed down with a nice bottle of red, so perhaps not that healthy!). 

A rather chilly 3.5 mile run last night at the coast (our club's GP series), weirdly exactly the same finish time as the last one I did there, despite having to queue at the end to get into the finish funnel (so many runners arriving at once). Steve also went for a run while waiting for me, then as we were staying overnight at the Premier Inn as soon as we'd got back and showered we went out for a nice Indian meal just along the road. It made a pleasant change to our usual routine of driving back home immediately after the run. 
    I'm hoping to get out for a longer run tomorrow, but will see what develops with this threatened snow.
  • Options
    Oh dear, such a lot of posts since my last one on Saturday. I've read back, but can't comment on everything.

WtnMel, it sounds like you had a nice time with your son for his 46th birthday. You got a good bargain for your rib eye steaks with that 33% of offer. 

Good to hear that your right foot isn't as painful as yesterday.

Aquarius, it's good to hear that your aches and pains are starting to feel better. Your visits to the physio seem to be paying off. 

I hope that you enjoyed your eggless birthday meal at an Italian restaurant? 

Well done for first AG in Saturdays XC Masters. I'm glad that you enjoyed the race, especially the "shoot out" with another 70 year old. Well done for last nights rather chilly 3.5 mile, equalling the previous race time, despite queuing at the finish line. A nice Indian meal afterwards was a great way to end the evening.  I hope that the snow holds off for your tomorrows run.

I ran a recovery pace 3.92 miles on Sunday, and 6.39 miles in the forest on Monday with the Monday Group. It was more walking and wading through mud and water, than running. I can't remember the forest being in such a state, especially as we hadn't had much rain in the previous days. 

Yesterday, Andy who used to be a Club Coach fitted a new shower in my bathroom. The old one started flooding water out if the control box. It was at least 10 years old, so not surprising. 

Today was a 6.72 mile forest run with the Wednesday Group, including a 5 x 1k interval session with 2.5 minute recoveries between each k. The intervals were round a gravel track which was relatively mud and water free. 

The Club has introduced "parkrun golf." Don't get too excited Mel, it's not what you think! It started with Saturdays park run, where all the club runners times were entered onto a spread sheet, and the ladies and men's times were subtracted from the world records for 5k, which became our handicaps. We play once a month, and the runner with the best improvement chooses the next venue. My 100th parkrun will be the Southampton one on the 2nd March, so there will be a good club turn out. A week ago they had over 1000 runners, which I don't particularly like. I've run it twice, the second time being on Christmas day. It's a pb course for those starting at the front, but for the masses, it takes quite a while crossing the start line.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    HS Lucky that you knew a reliable person to fit your new shower, it's a bit of a lottery choosing a tradesman these days. I sympathise with your muddy running in the forest, it's the same around here. I think the reason everywhere is so waterlogged is due to the repeated bouts of heavy rain making it difficult for the ground to dry out, even after a few dry days. We have a XC this weekend which may have to be cancelled due to this problem, although it's hoped that there may be a chance of it drying out enough in time. Looking out of my window as I type this the ground is covered in snow, which has been falling since mid morning and is due to continue for the rest of the day. The XC is only about 20 miles from here so will be getting similar weather I expect. This weather will also impact the local parkruns unfortunately, so there may be limited scope for running this weekend.
    Your club's parkrun golf sounds fun, I hope Southampton won't be too crowded when you do your 100th parkrun there on 2nd March.
    Fortunately my 6 mile run this morning was completed just before the snow started, but it was very cold and frosty. Enjoyable though. I noticed my right arm and leg were both starting to ache towards the end, which was frustrating as I thought they were both improving. 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

Aquarius - serendipity with the timing of that email from Beefeater. The foot seems better (see below). That was a coincidence to have exactly the same finish time at your club's GP series race. I saw on GC where that race was and that you stayed over at the Premier Inn. We're likely to be staying there again ourselves when we head 'oop north' in September. You'll have to let me know which Indian restaurant you went to - last time we were there, we ate at 'Hinnies' just down the road a couple of times. Reading on a bit further, I see you've had snow (exactly as they were promising in this morning's forecast). I'm glad to hear your 6ml run this morning was unaffected. Hope those aches and pains afterwards soon go away.

HS - I see you did a road run and then ran in the forest and the conditions were very wet and muddy. I guess the water is still hanging around from the very wet spells of weather we had recently. Always good to have a reliable workman to do work. Our 'favourite' plumber has been to our house today as the radiator in the downstairs loo stopped working recently. I'm not there (see below) but I assume he's fixed it. I see you did another forest run and the conditions were much improved. The 'parkrun golf' idea sounds intriguing - and fun.

I'm in Tring again as I've been to see my Mum this afternoon. My foot seemed to be better today so I brought my sports gear with me. And this evening I've been for a 5ml walk and my foot seems fine. It was drizzling when I set off - but had turned to heavy rain by the time I got back to the Premier Inn. The gear is hanging up on the hangers of the wardrobe and I've cranked up the heating hoping the things will dry out.

It was raining this morning when I drove to Tring and  the entrance of Oxford Services was one huge puddle you had to negotiate slowly. I happened a few weeks ago so they obviously need to sort out the drainage there. Thankfully, they had a reasonable selection at Waitrose at Oxford Services today. So I was able to get myself a honey & mustard chicken and pasta meal and some fruit (berry selection). Much healthier than whatever I would have had at the Beefeater next door washed down with a pint of beer.

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel We ate at Takdir, which is just along the road from the Premier Inn (in the opposite direction to Hinnies). Well done for your 5 mile walk, pity the weather could have been better. I hope you managed to get your gear dried out. If we are staying at a P Inn for a few nights I usually wash our kit out in the washbasin then do my drying dance (wrapping the wet kit in a bath towel and dancing all over it to get the worst of the water out - it works quite well!)  It saves us having to take multiple sets of kits away with us. Sounds like you found a tasty alternative to the usual Beefeater fayre.

The XC I was intending to do tomorrow has been cancelled as expected due to the ground being waterlogged. Hopefully it can be rescheduled, although there is only one weekend available seemingly. Most of the snow is still lying, despite the rain, so it remains to be seen whether any nearby parkruns will be on. Earlier today I entered myself, Steve and our son into a ballot for places in a popular local race (Blaydon Race) but will not find out if we've been successful until 19th of this month. 
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Aquarius, we haven't had any snow yet in the South. I've just seen from your latest post that tomorrows XC has been cancelled. It's not surprising really, considering the weather you have been experiencing. Well done for your 6 miles yesterday morning, but sorry to hear that your right arm and leg started aching towards the end. I hope that you, Steve and your son will be successful in the ballot for the Blaydon Race🤞

Thanks, re Southampton parkrun on 2nd March, but I expect the turnout will be in the region of 1000 again. We are intending to do the Wilverley Inclosure parkrun tomorrow, but might have problems getting there, as roads in Brockenhurst have been flooded again.

There is a lot of controversy now with the parkruns no longer publishing much of the usual data such as age category records, course records, male and female records etc. Apparently, this is because of transgender men running as women, and claiming women's records. 

WtnMel, the rain water doesn't seem to be draining away, and the forest seems to have more mini ponds than in previous years.

That's a bit of a coincidence that you also had to call a plumber.

Yes, I think that the parkrun golf could really catch on.  It's only once a month when the handicaps are revised, but I'm not so keen on the "winner" choosing the following months venue. 

Good to hear that your foot seems to be better, and you were able to walk 5 miles. Also good that you had a healthy meal in Tring. 

I ran a solo 6k yesterday on roads in heavy rain and strong winds, and did the usual Friday Farmers Walk this morning.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    HS Well done for your solo 6k in heavy rain and strong winds on Thursday. Did you manage to get to the Wilverley parkrun this morning? I've noticed a number of complaints on social media about parkrun's decision to remove course records etc. It does seem a controversial move and one that was bound to upset a lot of folk, particularly, as I imagine, male to female transgender runners will be in the minority and very few parkruns would be affected.
    The parkrun we opted for today had an event number (610) that we were advised is a number in the Fibonacci sequence, and would therefore attract a lot of parkrun tourists. The reason being collecting numbers in the Fibonacci sequence is apparently something parkrunners do (news to me). So instead of the usual 400-500 runners this morning 683 turned up. This meant a very slow start, but I still managed a PB so I was pleased with that. Steve got a PB too! 

• Options
    Aquarius, thanks. We decided not to go to the Wilverley parkrun, as some of the roads in Beaulieu have been flooded. We did a road 5k instead, on one of the courses we used to do during Covid.  Total mileage 4.91 miles. It appears that individuals data has been unchanged. I looked on the 5k app, and that is unchanged at present. I believe that the majority of park runners are unhappy with the changes, and I think that we will see a reduction in run numbers over the next few weeks. You are correct that there must be very few transgender male runners running as females, and in very few venues. I think that the organisers are attempting to drive home the fact that parkruns aren't races. This ignores the fact that they are still very competitive, and even the tail enders put in a finishing sprint.

I'm glad that you and Steve did do a parkrun this morning, and that you both got PB's.
  • Options
    I ran a solo hilly road 7k this morning. Nice and sunny, and very mild for February. 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon (evening?) everyone,

Aquarius - thanks for the heads-up re Takdir .. I'll look it up nearer the time. My gear dried out okay - as it was just me, my clothes stay in the suitcase, so I was able to drape my gear on the 6 hangers in the room .. and I cranked up the heating to help. I've done that sort of drying dance myself in the past - when we walked the Thames Path, I also got very adept at stringing up an elasticated washing line between the shower pipe, towel rail or whatever else was to hand in the bathroom. So we can both say we do the dance of the solitary towel - instead of the dance of the seven veils ;):) Not surprised to hear the XC got cancelled due to the ground conditions. Good luck in the ballot for the Blaydon race. I had heard of the Fibonacci sequence (parkrun event numbers) but I had to look it up to remind myself how the sequence works. Well done re both managing a parkrun PB.

HS - as you know, I'm not a park-runner but was surprised to hear they've stopped publishing times and records. Apparently, the plumber was only here for 10 minutes and all he needed was WD-40 to fix our radiator. But it's a temporary fix and if it happens again (the valve may get stuck again), it will be a major job replacing the radiator and having to drain down the system. Well done re your recent runs and farmer's walk. Shame to hear about the flooding around Beaulieu stopping you getting to the Wilverley parkrun. I get the impression parkrun has ALWAYS been competitive, despite the original ethos of them being unchanged.

I did a 4ml fast walk this morning and now the bruised right foot has gone away, am back to my normal sort of pace (15:48mm today).

Another (cough) 'busy' week coming up. u3a country dancing tomorrow so no walking; u3a open meeting on Tue afternoon so I hope to walk first thing; on Wed, Margaret and I have arranged to go to Croome; then on Thu I'll be driving to Tring to see my Mum and driving home on Fri morning - all being well, I'll be able to get out for a walk on Thu evening between seeing my Mum and eating later.

It's u3a yoga on Wed but as it's the only day Margaret is free this week, I'm not able to go as we'll be at Croome. In fact, I've decided to stop going to yoga all together because I struggle to fit it in now it has changed to the new day/time. I do plenty of other stretching in between times (yoga is only once a month) and I have made notes of the usual poses we do. So I can incorporate those into my stretching and let someone else have my place at yoga.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited February 12
    WtnMel Where would we be without the dance of the solitary towel :D
    That was a good pace for your 4 mile walk yesterday, just make sure you don't bruise your foot again with some over-exuberant moves in the country dancing today ;). I see you have another full week stretching ahead of you, pity you can't fit the u3a yoga in but as you say, knowing the various poses now you can do them in your own time along with your other stretches. I find there's quite a crossover of poses between Pilates and yoga, with a number of them being recommended by physios for rehabilitation or injury prevention too, so it's always a good idea to incorporate them into a stretching routine if you can. Enjoy Croome on Wednesday.
    HS Nice to hear your run yesterday was in mild and sunny conditions, fingers crossed this change in the weather lasts a bit longer. We have sunshine today too, typical on a non-running day. No doubt the heavens will open again tomorrow for my long run. Pity you couldn't get to parkrun on Saturday due to the flooded roads, but I see you did manage a longer run on one of the courses you used during Covid.
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 

WtnMel, good to hear that the plumber has made a temporary fix for your radiator, and hope that it will last, otherwise an expensive job.

You are right, parkruns have always been competitive. Even the slowest runners/walkers are competitive amongst themselves. 

Well done for yesterday's fast 4 miles walk, and good that your right foot is now ok.

You've certainly got a busy week ahead. I note that you are giving up yoga sessions. I'm sure that all your other stretches will make up for it. 

Aquarius,  thanks; today has been another bright and sunny day, and I ran 7.28 miles this morning in a very wet and muddy forest with the Sarah's. Unfortunately, they both fell in the boggy sections, but not the same one. Sarah H first and Sarah F further on. They both said that it was ironic that I was so much older than them, and didn't fall. Seems like my balance is still ok😀

A shame that you didn't run today in the good conditions. That's typical, as you said that it will probably be raining tomorrow on your long run. 

Yes on Saturday we did 5 laps of the 1k course on the gravel track in the forest with 2.5 minutes recoveries between each. 

I'm living dangerously now! A new shower installed last week, and a new Hoover wash and dryer delivered and installed this afternoon. The old one was 8 years old and could have packed up anytime. There's nothing worse than a breakdown in the middle of the wash, especially if it's a full load. 
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    HS A new shower and a new washer dryer, you are living dangerously  :). It's always nice to replace ageing appliances with new ones, it's only then that you realise how dodgy the old one was becoming. However nothing seems to last very long these days. I remember getting an engineer out to look at my washing machine a year or so ago and was quite shocked to be told they are just built to last about 6 or 7 years these days.
    It was strange to read that both the Sarahs fell in the mud during yesterday's forest run, as I've just got in from a run on the Derwent Walk where I struggled at times with deep mud and standing water. It must have lasted for about half a mile, and went right up to the very edges of the path. That section has sometimes been a bit muddy in the past, but never as bad as today or with so much standing water. It didn't help that it was frosty and slippery on the dry bits, and even icy in places. I hope the better weather is on the way soon.  (Well done for not falling yourself yesterday btw).
  • Options
    Aquarius,  from what you said, I probably changed my washing machine at the right time. 

We were surprised how wet and muddy the forest was, especially in areas where it was usually fairly dry. Well done for struggling with the deep mud and standing water. 

Thanks, I was lucky that I managed to avoid a fall, as I said to them "things usually happen in threes."