Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all. As promised, attempting to catch-up properly ..

Damien - I see you had a horrible hilly run .. you could have probably done with Red there to 'help' you get up them (I just read Red's post that followed yours - she is right about them being your friend as if you can manage them, a flat run is a walk in the park). Glad to see your subsequent 10k run went better.

Red - every time I see you mention yoga it reminds me I should be stretching regularly to stop myself turning into an old crock. Well done re your recent marathon (Owler) and nice of those ladies to keep an eye on you and cheer you over the line. Am liking the "moving yard stuff" cross-training :)

HS - glad to hear the built-in hr sensor of your Garmin is accurate (from the 'small print' when I was looking at what model to buy, they seemed to be covering themselves by saying not to rely on it's accuracy). Well done re your Salisbury race .. shame about starting a bit fast but pleased to hear you still had a 'sprint finish' in you. Sorry to hear about your problems syncing your Garmin to your phone. Weirdly, although I was struggling to connect my Garmin and Huawei phone, I managed to do so eventually by having the two of them touching each other. And now they have connected, the syncing seems to work even with the two devices slightly apart. Afraid I don't know what to suggest about what to do with Garmin Express and syncing via a usb cable - but years of IT support have taught me a good strategy to start with would be to uninstall Garmin express and re-install it and re-connect your device. I hadn't realised this new thread had been going for almost two years .. the early worries about them closing the forums seems to have abated for now .. let's hope that continues (and I agree with your comments in your mini-rant about the lack of support).

RF - nice to see you here again. You could start a forum for over 85's but I fear you might be the only poster! You 'should' get better weather in Menorca than the Lake District .. but who can tell based on recent events.

Matsmum - nice to see you back here too .. glad you were successful in getting your computer sorted. As I say to anyone who will listen, I understand a gps signal is only accurate down to 20 metres or so. So it's likely distances will register differently on Garmins/Fitbits. I also understand gps can under-estimate as well as over-estimate so things should even out. One of my friends (Diana) had polio as a child and uses crutches. But she got herself a mobility scooter (a 'Luggy' that folds up small and fits into a car boot) and it has changed her life. She does have a 'thing' about not using it anywhere where she might meet people she knows but I think she worries unnecessarily. I'm the same re running - as and when I can manage it at the moment. I've had a few months helping support my brother who was diagnosed with cancer and was in hospital for an operation. He's now back home and undergoing a course of radiotherapy so life is gradually getting back to normal - but the running is still a bit hit and miss.

I tend to raise feedback and/or complain to companies when things aren't quite right rather than keeping quiet or grumbling to myself .. pleased to report a resounding success with my recent exchange of emails with Premier Inn. Long story short - they have a 'standard' duvet at all hotels that I struggle to sleep comfortably with. I suggested getting some thinner duvets (their solution is to get an extra sheet and sleep under that). They didn't give me any good reason for not even considering that solution and frankly, were squirming and hoping I would go away. After hitting a brick wall and getting fed up with their excuses I stopped being Mr Nice and claimed my money back for two recent stays under their 'good night guarantee' - yesterday £349 was deposited back into my credit card account.

I didn't get out for my planned run yesterday but I did turn most of my to-do list into a tah-dah list (lawns cut; plums picked; flyscreen mended; window measured for blind). I'll go to the club run tomorrow morning instead.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

I got out of bed at 5am and grumbled as it was still dark 'cos I don't like getting up in the dark quite as much as in the light and I don't run in the dark (unless I'm doing an event!).  The yard is now ready for the new oil tank and yesterday was spent in the orchard with the new wheeled strimmer which was so much easier than scything!  Didn't finish it all so will be back out there soon to get some more done.  Might trot off for another marathon tomorrow......

Matsmum, hello sweetheart, lovely to hear from you!  Glad to hear your hubby has gone for a mobility scooter as I know how hard the decision must have been as it will make a huge difference to your lives - my father wouldn't go out in public when he had to use a wheelchair and it made mums life really tough.  Well done on getting back into running as it's so good for body and spirit xxx

TE, hoorah, Mr Speedy's back!  Looking forward to you getting an age category placing xxx 

WtnMel, well done on getting through your 'to do' list - mine seems to be never-ending!

I had an email from IW saying she doesn't like the RW forum anymore 'cos of the changes and so probably won't be coming on here again, which is a shame.  She is still on FB though.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Red - a wheeled strimmer sounds like a good investment for your orchard. I still use a 'Flymo' for our lawns and sometimes look longingly at my neighbours motorised petrol-driven mower as I'm pushing my lawnmower around. But then tell myself the exercise is good for me ;) I'm not too surprised BIW has decided not to bother coming here any longer - her posts had been very intermittent lately and I remember she had problems at times getting posts to show up.

I've been out with my clubmates today - just a select band of 7 of us today (due to holidays etc.) and 3 others joined us for coffee afterwards. And there was cake which was left over from last night's 30th anniversary run which I couldn't make it along to. The coffees were free today - Sandra hadn't been able to make it along to a Thu run since her birthday in June so she treated us all.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Good to hear from you again Matsmum, and yes, I've still got the wings. I'm getting on well with my new Garmin forerunner 235, the best model to date as far as I'm concerned. The only problem, is that Garmin's don't connect well with Huawei phones, although WtnMel, seems to have found a way. It has taken me such a very long time to get to where I am now, running wise, but I'm not one to give in.
    It's good news that your husband has agreed to use a multi-terrain mobility scooter, which will give you so much more freedom to get out and about.
    Glad to hear that you are still running, and if you want the wings back, I'll send them over. They've been modified and are now super fast, especially for "flying" up hills  :) 

WtnMel, thanks for the advice, re connection problems. I have found a way now to connect the Garmin to the laptop via the USB Cable. I click on the Garmin Express icon and wait for it to upload, and then, and not before, I connect the Garmin with the USB cable to the laptop. It has been connecting after a few seconds. Previously, I had plugged the cable in before clicking Garmin Express, and it took ages to connect. I'm intending to renew my contract tomorrow and upgrade to a different android phone, probably a Samsung, which I've had before. Hopefully, I will then be able to connect Garmin to phone without the need for the USB Cable.
    Great news that you got a refund from Premier Inns following your complaint. It does pay off sometimes. 

Red, another marathon, you seem to have the ability to run them "at the drop of a hat!" Thanks for the encouragement. xx I ran my fastest run this morning, see below!
    Sorry to hear that DBIW won't be posting on here again. She has been posting on RW longer than me, and that's going back many years. She hasn't posted much lately though, and did spend a long time trying to get back after the unfortunate "upgrading" of the RW Web, which resulted in the loss of the majority of posters. We will miss her, but I wish her well!!

I have finally made the breakthrough of the 10 minute miling average pace. I ran 6.1 miles in the forest this morning, the first two miles in heavy rain and into the wind. My average was 9.56 minute mileage, and would have been better if it hadn't been for the 11.05 minute first mile. I'm hoping t be able to progress further now.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - my ability to sync my Garmin 230 & Huawei phone was more by luck than judgment. I was sitting in the Premier Inn in Leeds looking for things to do and thought I would give it 'one last try'  .. which to my amazement, it was! Btw, my Garmin will still sync via Garmin Express without any problems but I sometimes have to start GE first (it's supposed to start when the Garmin is plugged in but doesn't always). Well done re getting your average pace below 10 mm .. I thought I was running better yesterday but with all the stop/starts (the Thursday club run is billed as a 'sociable' run) my avg pace worked out nearer 12 mm.

I've just been to my local tip - needed to beat the bank holiday weekend rush. I had three bin-liners full of shredded paperwork - I was hoping I might be able to put it in some sort of paper recycling bin but due to the problems of the 'bits' going everywhere, I was told to put it in the non-recyclable bin. Shame really but my friend Alan tells me his local tip won't accept shredded paper under any circumstances for fear of bits going everywhere.
  • Options
    WtnMel, I actually tried your trick of touching the Garmin to the phone this morning, but although it connected, it wouldn't sync. I have decided to wait until after the NF races which are on 9th September, before changing the phone, in case of any problems. I've now received confirmation that I have been officially transferred from the marathon to the half, so that is a relief.
    I've still got lots of shredding to do, but it is so boring that I don't do it very often. I understood that shredded paper couldn't be recycled, so put it in my non recyclable black sack.
    I believe that the BBC are showing footage from the IoW Festivals from the very first, featuring Jimi Hendrix, Doors etc to the latest at 7.30, although it's not listed in any of the TV Schedules. 
  • Options
    MatsmumMatsmum ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, just to say we are going away for a few days unexpectedly.  In the campervan. No problems, but husband really fancied a change. So no running while we are away, but hopefully lots of walks. Hugs to you all x
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    HS - I wish I knew what the 'secret' is to getting the Huawei/Garmin to sync so I could advise you. I went for a walk with Margaret this morning and experimented afterwards and was successful in getting the two to sync 'at arms length'. Glad to hear you've been able to transfer your race entry to the HM. I agree about shredding being boring - I had a box that holds 5x500 sheets of A4 paper full of financial papers that I had to shred. You can imagine how long it took me to shred that little lot! and I won't let it grow to unmanageable proportions again, that's for sure. I saw your post too late to investigate the IOW coverage you mentioned - I was there when Hendrix was on, sleeping on the hillside above the arena as I didn't have a ticket.

Matsmum - enjoy your few days away in your campervan.

I think I may have surprised one of my running clubmates. She posted at 7 o'clock this morning she was up and had her kit on. I couldn't resist posting that I was still in bed but would be getting my kit off later at my nuddy swim and left a link to my swim club. I got a shocked ( :o ) face by way of reply ;)

• Options
    Hey Matsmum, what do you mean, no running while you're away?  That's the time you should be running, lots of new places to explore and keep you interested. We never, ever go anywhere without running kit and run most mornings before breakfast. And we've 159 years between us!  Go on, get those shorts and running shoes packed.  You know it makes sense!
  • Options
    Hope you like the photo, that's me on the right with the blue top and grey cap. I ran 12.5 miles with the New Forest Marathon/Half Marathon training group.
    That's a Dragon carved on the tree trunk. Very heavy rain during the last few miles.
  • Options
    Morning all, 

WtnMel, hope you enjoyed your nuddy swim!

Ran 12.5 miles in the forest yesterday morning with the New Forest Marathon/Half Marathon training group. I've posted a photo of us with a write up on my mobile phone, but unfortunately, the post and picture didn't appear on this laptop sign in. Very disappointing. I suppose it was because the picture was in the phone gallery, but I would have thought that it would have appeared here. Posts on here appear on my phone, so why not visa versa?
  • Options
    Yay, I tried again and it worked. Seems like it worked the first time too, but must have taken its time to appear.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Lovely photo TE and a nice carving.

No marathon for me yesterday as Mike's not well again, boo.  He's a bit better today but I decided against abandoning him for a marathon and did a nice early morning 7 mile plod across fields up to Great Dixter and back.

Matsmum, hope you have  a lovely break and LOL at the comment from Mr Fox who puts us all to shame  :)

WtnMel, didn't your clubmate know you're a nudey swimmer then?  She'll view you in a new light now!!!
  • Options
    Morning all,

I'm stuck in all day waiting for a washing machine engineer to come. The machine broke down mid wash on Saturday, and consequently, blew out all the circuits. I was left with no power for the fridge, cooker, router, TV, microwave etc. I was in a bit of a panic as being a Bank Holiday, I was unable to get anyone to come out. I partly solved the problem by removing the plug to the machine, which enabled me to reset the RCD. This restored the power to everything but the machine, of course. Hand washing, wringing out, and putting on a clothes horse in the bath isn't very satisfactory.
    I've had to cancel my spin session which is annoying, and won't spin tomorrow either, as I need to run. I intend doing a tempo pace road run.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

RF - I must confess I usually take my running gear with me when I go away but hardly ever use it!

HS - love the photo of the dragon log. Sorry to hear about your washing machine woes. I remember when I first separated and the washing machine etc. went with my ex (as she had our two lads to look after), I had to do things by hand until I got a new one. I recall sometimes filling the bath and tramping up and down on them to clean the clothes as that was easier than by hand. But the wringing out was always hard work. When we were walking the Thames Path & The Ridgeway, Margaret and I discovered the easiest way to get our technical t-shirts dry was to wring them out inside a bath towel so it soaked up all the moisture - got them far drier that way.

Red - I always enjoy my nuddy swim/sauna - more people should try it sometime! ;)I don't make any secret of my nuddy swims and if the opportunity arises I mention it hoping people might be intrigued and think about giving it a go (we're always interested in attracting new people to our swims). Sorry to hear Mike's not well again.

I didn't get out for a run yesterday so went out and did 4mls this morning instead. This is by way of an experiment as I'll be running tomorrow too (5ml club run). 

I treated myself to some new running socks a few days ago (same make as before, just new). I used them for the first time today and on the way round my right little toe felt a bit sore. Took my socks off afterwards and found a small amount of blood. I'm hoping the reason was my nails needed cutting (time will tell).
  • Options
    Morning all,

Red, I hope that Mike soon feels better again. Kudos for not doing the marathon, so that you could take care of him.

WtnMel, intrigued by the thought of you treading up and down on your washing in the bath. Bit like treading grapes lol. Ingenious idea to wring out sports kit inside a bath towel. I hate cutting my toenails.

Yesterday was my fastest run to date. I ran 6.1 miles on roads and round the Marina, at an average pace of 9.50 minute miling. It wasn't long ago when I thought I would never go sub 11.00 pace.
    I was scheduled for an Hygienist appointment this morning, but it was cancelled as she fell off her horse and was trampled. She has two broken ribs, so will be off work for some time. Instead, I went into the village for an haircut. My hairdresser is also a runner, and we always discuss running and training. She is doing her first half marathon soon, so is rather apprehensive. It's somewhere in Dorset, but I can't remember which race it is, except that it's off road and starts at the bottom of a valley.  
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - yes, just like treading grapes. I think I got the idea from watching a documentary about the Marines and a comment about the fact they sometimes get into the shower in full kit after an exercise and wash the mud off then peel off their uniform and get themselves clean. Anyway, it worked a treat and saved a lot of 'elbow grease'. Well done re your fastest run to date at below 10mm pace. Nasty accident your hygienist had with falling off her horse. My hairdresser also runs a bit - she doesn't belong to a club and it tends to be short runs like the Race For Life that she does. 

I ran 5 mls with my club today and after yesterday's 4ml run wasn't sure how I would get on - but everything was fine. I'd taken the precaution of cutting my nails and wore an extra pair of toe protectors on my little toes just to be on the safe side. At least I now know I can run two days on the trot without any problem. A club member called Rachael who normally runs on a Wed, joined us today. She's a bit of a selfie addict and she likes to take photos on the way round a run as well as afterwards. Anyway, she posted a nice photo of today's group enjoying our post-run coffee at the pub so I'll try and post it on here after I've posted this.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Hopefully this will be the photo at 'The Exmouth Arms' that I mentioned above .. 

Rachael (who's phone was used to take the photo) is front left, behind her Dad. Claire (aka. 'Lazy Daisy' on Fetch) who leads the Thu group is behind Rachael .. I'm 2nd from the front on the right in the green top. Behind me is Virginia who I mentioned a few weeks back as having just completed the 'big 6' marathons and who is in her 70's and dropping down to half-marathons in the future.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Nice picture WtnMel, it's always nice to "see" the people we communicate with on here and fetch. I notice an absence of alcohol on the table :)  It's a good idea to finish up at a pub after a club  session. Our club does a social run once a week as an alternative to a structured session, which ends up in a pub.

I did another good pace run this morning.8.1 miles in the forest over a hilly course. I averaged 9.51 minute miling, so pleased with that. I had to deviate from my intended route, as the Common where  I had intended to run was roped off, as they were doing roundups of the ponies.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - sadly the Exmouth's 2-for-1 offer only extends to coffees and teas, otherwise I suspect in this warm weather, it might be cold beers all round! Well done re your 8ml run at a very good pace (from my perspective anyway!).

Following my experiment of running on Wed & Thu this week, must say my legs ached a tiny bit this morning. I forgot to say my Garmin told me on Wed I had a new 5k record of 32m 32s but I plan to go to parkrun tomorrow and will see if I can better that time. 

No running today as Margaret and I went out this morning to (a) book my car in for the aircon to be checked (b) visit M&S Home to get some new dinner plates (c) visit Beefeater to use our money-off vouchers. I've been 'pottering' in the study most of the afternoon - I also got round to throwing out the old running socks the new ones are replacing .. it would have been very easy to keep the old ones 'just in case' ;)

• Options
    Morning all,

It's far too tiring staying at home (strimming the orchard grass, gathering into piles then collecting and burning has played havoc with my hamstrings!!!!) so I'm hoping to do the Kent Coastal marathon tomorrow (if MIke's OK). fingers crossed etc etc!

Nice piccy WtnMel.

TE, excellent news re your speediness and well done on sorting out the washing machine problem.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.  I'm just about to take my cake to the Garden Society show, not as an entry but for the refreshment ladies. 
  • Options
    Morning all,

WtnMel, hope you set a new PB at todays parkrun. I've got several pairs of "just in case" running socks lurking at the back of the running kit drawer.

Red, take care running the Kent Coastal Marathon tomorrow with dodgy hamstrings. Hope Mike is ok!
    One of our running club members is thinking of doing the "Race to the Kings" next year. He sais it will be his first and last ultra. It seems that they are addictive though, as several club members run as many as they can.

Today is a rest day, and tomorrow will be a road run with the NF Marathon/Half Marathon group.
  • Options
    TE, RTTK is spread over 2 days isn't it (30 miles each day I think) so it's easily doable!
  • Options
    Red - hope your hamstrings (and Mike!) are okay for you to be able to do tomorrow's marathon and as long as you stay fit rather than twang anything, that orchard work must be good cross-training. I'm sure the refreshment ladies will appreciate your cake.

HS - I'm happy to report a new Parkrun PB (31:59) but was more pleased to see my pace for the mile splits gradually increased as I had planned (10:34 10:17 10:10). Btw, that PB is for the 'modern era' :) .. I did manage a PB of 28:26 for 5K back in 2012 but for now, getting a bit closer to 30mins will suit me just fine!

Off to the cinema shortly for the first of two visits. Margaret has booked us tickets for today to see "The Children Act" (from the Ian McEwan novel) then on Monday we are seeing "BlacKkKlansman", the new Spike Lee film.  
  • Options
    We’ve had house guests for the last couple of weeks or so, consequently there’s been no time for running or popping in on here. However we’re back to normal now, but I haven’t had time to catch up with everyone’s posts yet. 
    Our guests left last Tuesday and a few hours later I had a 10k race. Late nights, too much food & alcohol wasn’t ideal preparation but I was determined to do it as the results of this 10k are used to work out the handicap for the first of our club’s 5k winter Grand Prix races starting in October. These monthly 5k runs were originally set up as a fun way to keep training up over the winter months, but have become very competitive. There are 28 teams taking part with 8 runners in each team, but only the first four finishers in each team score. I was expecting to finish the 10k in around 63 minutes, so was pleasantly surprised to do it in 61 minutes, which is identical to last year’s time. This gives me a 14 minute handicap for the first 5k GP in October.
    On Saturday I took part in a XC relay. (3 runners each doing 1.8 miles). I didn’t know how many of our club ladies had signed up for it until I got there, so when I found out there was only two others (both a lot younger and faster than me) I was a bit worried. I got my apologies in at the outset, as I knew my time would impact badly on our finishing position. They were both very kind about it and assured me they were race rusty too. However they both finished in just over 11 minutes, while my time was 17.33! Overall we finished 7th out of 17 in the veteran ladies category but I’m determined to get fitter (and hopefully faster) before the first of our XC league races at the end of this month (which are twice that distance).
    I’ll try to read back over everyone’s posts in the next day or so to catch up properly, but in the meantime I hope everyone is fit and healthy and enjoying their running.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Red, yes the RTTK is spread over 2 days. Hope your marathon went well.

WtnMel, well done for your parkrun pb "in the modern era!"  Hope you enjoy the two cinema visits.

Aquarius, good to hear that you are back into running again, after a two week break. Well done running the 10k in the same time as last year. Good luck with your aims to get fitter and faster. We'll watch your progress with interest.

Had an enjoyable 12.5 mile road run yesterday with the New Forest Marathon/Half Marathon training group. It's now easing right back for Sundays races.
  • Options
    Will try to post a photo of our NF Marathon/Half Marathon group after yesterday's run

• Options
    Morning all,

Aquarius - nice to see you back here .. good luck with catching up! Our club handicap race series (4 runs over the Summer) are similarly very competitive. Well done re the XC relay race.

HS - someone on Fetch likened my mention of the 'modern era', to football records before the Premiership was created.

I would recommend the two films we went to see - both of them made you think in their own way. We saw them at the 'Screening Rooms' - more expensive but armchair-like seats and waitress service so a much nicer experience. Yesterday, for the Spike Lee film, we were the only two in the room! (the joys of being retired).

I've been out and run just under 4mls this morning. It felt like a steady run but it amused me that after the first uphill mile (11:30mm), miles 2 & 3 were identical (10:31mm) and the last mile was at 10:28mm pace. Just call me 'Steady Eddie' :)