Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options

Running Fox I always enjoy reading your blog, and what a fabulous time you both seem to have had in Menorca. I’m very envious, it’s somewhere I’ve never visited but I’m quite tempted now.

Red good to hear from you again but sorry to hear Mike’s still having health problems. Well done for overtaking two thirds of the field in your 10k. A hilly race is no fun if you don’t normally do hills. Hopefully those runners who were struggling yesterday will include hill work in their training before tackling next year’s race. (Give your freezer a good talking to, that’s just not cricket!)

Pity about your spin classes Columba, but at least you’re managing to keep running and getting to parkruns. Congratulations on the arrival of your first grandson. What an eventful time your family is having, best wishes to all.

Moks thanks for the sore throat tip. Fortunately it was a lot better the next day but I gave the parkrun a miss anyway as our house alarm went off through the night and the resulting disturbed sleep meant I was too tired the following morning. Seems it was the  garage sensor which set it off, but no idea why, everything looked fine. I remember having a similar problem at our previous house, turned out a spider had got inside the sensor. Perhaps a spider was to blame this time too.

WtnMel - Hope you are enjoying your visit to Northumberland, and fingers crossed you raise lots of money for MIND on Sunday.

Although I didn’t do parkrun on Saturday I did manage 6.5 miles on Sunday. Bit of a disappointment really, I had intended doing 8 miles but had no energy and my legs were really heavy. I felt like a beginner huffing and puffing my way around, and was glad to get home. Still a bit tired today so having a rest. I’m planning on going over to our club for training tomorrow so hope I’m more rested by then.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Afternoon all,

Just realised I made a typo in my 10k which should have been that I overtook 1/3 of the field, not 2/3 LOL!  I was 3rd out of 3 in my age group in 1:04 with 5 minutes between the 1st speedy club-running lady and me.  I can do that route in under 60 minutes so if I didn't run the 6miles to get there beforehand perhaps I should have a go at that next year.  Trouble with that is that anyone in the 55-59 age group might well get into my group so then I won't get a look in!

Aquarius, hope you're feeling a bit better today. 6.5 miles is not to be sniffed at.

Coilumba, running in gentle rain is lovely isn't it :smile:
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

There has been a lot of activity since I last posted on Saturday, good to see!

Welcome back Columba, glad that you haven't deserted us. Good to hear that you are still running and doing parkruns.  congratulations to your family, and good luck to your daughter intending to run the 100k in one go, and also middle son.

RF, thanks for the NF link, I have emailed it to our webmaster who will enter details on the results page of the club's web site. You are correct, I was 2nd MV70 chip time, but 3rd gun time.

Red, sorry to hear that Mike is poorly again. Well done in yet another Ultra! Well done also for being 3rd in your age group. Hope you have sorted out the leaking freezer.

WtnMel, sound like you are having a great holiday.

Aquarius, a good idea taking it easy when you are not feeling too well. You did well managing 6.5 miles.

I haven't run since Friday, as I rather overdid the pace in the 8.1 mile forest run. I was overtaken in a nice uneven part of the forest by a young man and woman, and stupidly tried to keep up with them. I managed this until we came to the road, and then they gradually pulled away. I was running at sub 8 minute miling until the road, and then put my "sensible hat" on and slowed down. My knee has been aching slightly, since the run, so I have been resting it. 

I posted off my application to renew my driving licence on Friday, and confirmed my entry to the Oakhaven Half Marathon on Saturday. This race was cancelled in March because of the snow, and entrants were given "free" entries to the revised date of 4th November. I went into Southampton yesterday using my bus pass and purchased a new mobile phone, a Samsung Galaxy S8. This syncs perfectly with my Garmin Forerunner 235. The only problem I have still to sort out is when I receive an email on it from RW, I can open and read it, but can't log in to reply. It doesn't recognise my email address or password, even though they have been the same for years. It means that I have to do all my posts on the laptop. This is frustrating, as all my running related photos are in the mobile gallery, so can't post them from the laptop.

I had a good spinning session this morning which had sprints on the level and also hill sprints. The sting in the tail was 8 x 30 seconds with 10 seconds recoveries. We had to do them on the maximum resistance we could mange. That was the end of the session, and we were able to recover by slowly pedalling and getting our breath back. My average hr was 92bpm and max 149. 397 calories.

• Options
    Hi folks,

Posting from my phone so apologies for any typos etc.

Columba - I've still got my blue body paint but will just be putting some on my cheeks. Hoping to meet up with some other SOH'ers and have ample paint if they decide they want to paint themselves you.

Red - yes, Cragside was on tv last year. We enjoyed our visit but it really is huge .. I doubt we saw more than one tenth of the estate.

*waves* to everyone else
  • Options
    Redhead,I ran a 11K Trail race in Saint Urbain, Finisterre, 260 runners and normally I finish mid field , this time I was 93rd and 3rd over 60, the 2nd placed over 60 was 4 mins in front of me, dam him  ! and the 1st was 6 mins in front of me, dam him even more !  Train harder longer and faster me thinks.
    Columba, have not had to run in the rain for months, but the weather is changing every day ,average temp is 20 Degrees and it looks set at that until next week.
    WtnMel, Waves back at you.

Funny enough I went skinny dipping Sunday afternoon at the beach the water had loads of algae in it and I spent about 30 mins washing it all off .

Hope you all are well X

• Options

Didn’t get to training last night as we spent the day in A&E. While we were out yesterday morning Steve suddenly collapsed so we had a long ambulance ride to the nearest A&E at Durham. What a depressing experience that was. Ambulance staff doing extra shifts to cover shortages, queues of trolleys in the corridors waiting for examination bays to become available. We waited so long they suggested Steve get off his trolley and go through to the A&E waiting room as he was likely to be seen quicker that way. When we got there the queue at the reception desk was huge, almost out of the building, and all the seats in the waiting area were taken. All the staff (receptionists to doctors) were rushed off their feet, and really, some of the patients they had to deal with - there was one lad who appeared high on drugs and was making a nuisance of himself, then another huge chap handcuffed to a policeman, plus various impatient individuals. The staff all deserve medals for working under such conditions, heaven help them when the winter rush starts. (Steve seems a lot better today btw, they think he passed out due to the medication he’s recently been prescribed for his atrial fibrillation. We’re now waiting for an appointment with the cardiologist.)
  • Options
    Morning all,

Aquarius, very sorry to hear about Steve's collapse, and the dreadful experience at the A&E. The National Health is really on its last legs, and this Government must get its act together to save it. I do hope that you don't have to wait for too long for Steve's cardiologist appointment.

Moks, well done for your 3rd place in the 11k trail race. Keep up the training, but don't overdo it.
    Sounds rather horrible skinny dipping in algae.

It was very wet and windy yesterday and I just jogged 4.6 miles on road. Today is a rest day.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Oh Aquarius, I'm so sorry to hear about Steve's collapse and hope it was due to his drugs.   We've had similar experiences at A&E and it's absolutely shocking that the NHS is in such bad shape.  Hopefully you'll get to see a cardiologist pdq.

Moks, well done you on getting so far up the field!  You need to catch those pesky blighters who were faster than you though ;-)

WtnMel, hope you enjoy tour skinny dipping.

TE, I'm having a non-running day too as I've just been to see Mary Massage Lady.  I shall however be cross-training with some poo-picking as we have 7 of my neighbours brood mares with us for a few weeks and I"m not letting all that lovely composting opportunity go to waste.

• Options
    How do i make a forum post
  • Options
    Hi Angus, you just did!  Welcome to the thread :smile:
  • Options
    Aquarius hope all is well now. will not start on about running a service down, selling it off cheap to some mate who happens to run a medical company in America or where ever. 
  • Options
    I'm really pleased to see that everyone is running so well and going from strength to strength, surmounting injury problems and getting PB's.

Lots of births and marriages and everything that makes up life's rich tapestry. 

It must have been worrying, Aquarius, when Steve collapsed, and the time at the hospital sounds traumatic. I must admit (touch wood) I've never encountered these particular problems in the odd occasions I've been to A&E. I/We've generally been seen fairly promptly and dealt with. Also, in longer hospital stays, the care has been pretty good. Contrasted to my time living abroad and on private medicine, the NHS is so superior. I remember after eldest son's birth that cash tills rang every time I coughed, almost. I remember being kept in a week (completely unnecessary) and the gynaecologist coming in every day just to feel my stomach and charge me £100. I used to hear his voice in the corridor then escape through a door in my room which led up to the roof, so he couldn't see me and charge me. I managed to survive without him feeling my stomach every day.

It must have been an odd sight, thinking about it. A woman in her nightie, clinging on to the roof. 
  • Options
    Morning all,

It was very windy during the night, with torrential rain. The rain has cleared up, for now, but is still windy, but not quite as strong.

Welcome back Exhausted. Good job that mobile phones weren't around when you were clinging to the roof, as you might have appeared on Facebook etc  :/

Ran a steady 6.1 miles on road this morning, and despite the wind, it was very humid.
  • Options
    Morning all,

It's not raining or windy at the moment, but is expected later. Today is a rest day.
    It's forecast heavy rain and strong winds tomorrow, which is the club's Hardley Half Marathon. I haven't entered it, as I'm not up to road race speed yet. I didn't volunteer for marshalling duties either, as I've marshalled the car parking before racing for several years, so will let others have a turn.
  • Options
    Raining here also. Long run tomorrow morning 20K, then off to the Butter festival and tractor show afterwards. The weather forecast is sunny tomorrow, so we are hoping to have a picnic and wine sat watching the parade of tractors, cider and bread making and a chap making clogs by steam power.
  • Options
    Been out of running for 10 days having damaged a wrist down in Menorca.  The hospital gave me a wrist brace to immobilise it but took it off yesterday thinking movement might be better.
    TE: It's forecasting heavy rain in my neck of the woods tomorrow too, so went for a (very careful) run this morning. Only 4 miles, but better than nothing.
    Moks: Enjoy your 20K, it would take me all day!  Do people still wear clogs in your part of the world?  I wore them 70 years ago in my farm service days but never see farmers wearing them now.  
    Exhausted: Thanks for making me laugh - at you clinging to the roof in your nightie.  Somehow reminds me of 'The Hundred Year old Man who Climbed out of the Window and Disappeared'.
    Cheers everyone....

• Options
    A chap making clogs by steam power? It was all sounding quite normal Moks - picnic, cider and bread making, but then a chap making clogs by steam power?? The mind boggles, any chance of a photo? I'd love to see that.
    Still no running for me (although Steve seems a lot better now he's stopped his medication, thanks for all the good wishes) as I have now caught my son's virus. I thought I was doing quite well, I've looked after a grandchild with chicken pox, and one with tonsillitis and survived both totally germ free, then last week I had a bit of a sore throat (which I thought I'd got away with) only to find on Wednesday I was wooly headed and just wanting to curl up and sleep. Hope this passes soon, it's been almost a week now since I've had a run. However as it's been extremely windy here the last few days with trees down, lots of branches across pavements and roads, and my neighbour's shed lost it's roof, also some very heavy rain, I suppose I probably wouldn't have been venturing out for a run anyway. I hope WtnMel will be ok tomorrow as it looks like his skinny dip at Druridge Bay will be pretty cold and windy, although there's no rain forecast.

Welcome to the forum AngusB, and welcome back Exhausted (laughed at your roof top escape story)

I hope your wrist heals soon Running fox (somehow I can't see you letting that stop you running for long) I'm sure you'll be back running again soon.

Good idea to let someone else take a turn at marshalling HS, you've certainly done your share by the sounds of it. Enjoy your rest day.

Seven lots of poo picking Red? Rather you than me (although your roses will love you for it! If you've any spare send it up here please :) )

• Options
    Afternoon peeps,

Thankfully we didn't get blown away but my goodness that was a strong wind!  There are branches down all over the place but thankfully our field fences are OK.  Today is grotty and wet which is a shame as there's a fund-raiser for the local Hospice which is not getting nearly as many people as last year.  Even we baled out after 1.5 hours.  No running today but will be trotting out nice and early tomorrow fo 12-15 miles depending on my mood.

Aquarius, it's one thing after another for you at the moment.  Glad Steve seems to be OK.  You take care of yourself too and don't worry ahout missing a few runs.  There's been more poo-picking since that!

Exhausted, I have a clear image of you dangling from the roof in your hospital gown!  Hope all's well in your world now or at least settled down after your shock xxx

TE, you deserve a break from carpark duties.

Mr Fox, I didn't spot that you'd damaged your wrist.  You take care of yourself please.

WtnMel, it's going to be a tad cool for your skinny dip tomorrow!  Enjoy :smile:

Moks, sounds lovely!  Our tree surgeon organises a tractor fest in aid of a Hospice and it's such fun to wathc all the different shapes and sizes trundling through the village.  I still love and wear clogs with leather uppers and wooden soles rather than the full-foot working clogs.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.
  • Options
    Redhead: I abandoned the wrist brace two days ago, thinking movement might be better than immobilisation, and risked running the last two mornings.  It was OK.
    Today, I mowed the lawns, which was OK, then I tried to do some hoeing which my wrist certainly did not like!    So now I've got the perishing brace back on.
    Trust you enjoyed your 12-15 mile run today?
  • Options
    MokshaeightMokshaeight ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Running Fox, yes they are worn here and fetch a good price. 

Aquarius, no photo am afraid, it was steam engine that ran the machines that cut, role and chipped the insides away. We also watched how to make rope, never ever thought about it, but a lady 80+ nimble as a child made 8 meter lengths in about 30 mins. 

• Options
    Morning all,

We have sunshine again so I've ben playing out yesterday and will be today too.  Got drowned on my run on Sunday and dropped down to 8 miles #whatalightweight!  Did a speedier than usual 5.5 miles yesterday and will be out for something similar today after I've done some poo-picking which is excellent cross-training :smile:

MrFox, I use my wrist braces for doing yoga as otherwise they scream at me!

Moks. rope making sounds fascinating.
  • Options
    Morning all,

I seem to be slipping, as I haven't posted since Saturday.

RF, you seem to put as much energy into your gardening, as you do into your running. Hope your wrist soon recovers.

Mok, hope your 20k went well. Did you sample the cider?

Aquarius, glad to hear that Steve seems to be much better. Hope your sore throat soon gets better. You were wise to abstain from running for a few days, as that might have made it worse.

Red, I think that you were sensible to reduce your mileage on Sunday in such horrible conditions. Well done for the speedy 5.5 miles yesterday, and hope you maintain the pace today. Hope the poo-picking pre run doesn't slow you down.

I ran a rather speedy 10.1 miles in the forest yesterday, incorporating some 5 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute and 20 second efforts. This was my first attempt trying efforts, and fingers crossed, seem to have got away with it. The terrain was nice and muddy, and it was good wearing my trail shoes again.
    I did a good spin session this morning, which I think was more enjoyable than poo-picking :o
    I am really pleased with my new Samsung Galaxy S8 mobile phone. It syncs with my Garmin Forerunner 235 as soon as I open the front door. No more messing with the USB Cable etc.

• Options
    Hillstrider 2 boxes worth 
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Another chilly morning, but bright and sunny.

Another good spin session this morning, and looking forward to a forest run tomorrow morning with Giuliana. We haven't run together for ages.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Well done HS on your speedy 10.1 miles, especially as it was muddy. Enjoy your run tomorrow with Giuliana. Good that your new phone is working well, I tend to take ages to get used to new things like that, there always seems to be so much to learn.

Hope you’ve had no ill effects from your soaking on Sunday Red, 8 miles is still a good distance in those conditions. I bet lots of others pulled out even earlier.

Only 2 boxes Moks?  ;)

As I was feeling a lot better I went over to the coast last night for a training session with my club. Rarely get there these days, so hardly recognised anyone. We did 500m reps at 5k pace (approximately 9 minute miling for our group) which I was pleased to find quite easy. Went for a long walk today and had a short session on the exercise bike, also played with my (almost) 2 yr old grandson which proved more tiring than anything else I’ve done recently! If the wind dies down I’m aiming to go for a run tomorrow.

• Options
    12 bottles - 3 bottles with 1 chilling in the fridge for tomorrow night 

• Options
    Morning all,

Aquarius, thanks, we ran 8 miles in the forest, yesterday morning in thick fog. Very annoying that quite a few cars driving through the forest didn't have their lights on at all. This is so dangerous, as well as illegal, especially where there are often ponies, cows, donkeys and even pigs on the road, this time of year.
    It does take me a while these days getting used to new gadgets etc. but YouTube is very useful in this respect. I recently looked up "parallel parking," following a rather pathetic attempt to do this between two parked cars. 
    I haven't been to club sessions for over a year since my injury, and would probably not know some of them, as there have been a number of new members. I keep in touch by Strava and also still run with some of the members that I know.
    Your running seems to be progressing well, and I'm glad that you are feeling better now.

Moks, you seem to be well stocked up with booze, cheers.

Today is a rest day, and I went to the library earlier. I was amazed to be told that my library card  was due to be checked for any changes of address etc. as it was two years since the last time. Where do the years go?
  • Options
    Evening all,

We're back home and I've settled back into the usual routines (bills paid; lawns mowed). I've had a read back at the latest posts to try and catch up ..

Aquarius - sorry to hear you had to go to A&E with Steve (and respect to the staff for working under such conditions). Hopefully you'll get to see a cardiologist soon. Sorry to hear you've succumbed to a cold lurgy of some sort. We had to drive around various fallen branches while we were away in Northumberland. And while we were visiting Alnwick Gardens, branches were falling and a tree blew over and snapped its trunk and they were on the verge of closing it for safety reasons.

Mok - well done re the result at your 11k trail race.

Red - your particular type of 'cross-training' (aka. poo-picking) always makes me smile. 

Exhausted - had to chuckle at you hiding on the roof in your nightie to avoid extra medical charges.

RF - sorry to hear you've damaged your wrist.

HS - I see you've got yourself a new Samsung phone .. I'm glad to hear it's syncing with your Garmin without any problem. When out running I used to carry my previous mobile in a waist-belt (in the water-bottle bit). But the new phone is too big to fit in there.

I didn't run while I was away but we did plenty of cross-training in the form of walking on the beach at Druridge & Bamburgh as well as whilst out and about at Cragside, Belsay Hall and Warkworth Castle.

I did manage to run with the club yesterday. While chatting afterwards we got on the subject of Garmin's. I mentioned I wasn't sure how waterproof they are. One lady said she wears hers while swimming to track her time (not her distance). Another lady confirmed they're definitely waterproof - she put her kit in the washing m/c after her weekend run and then looked for her Garmin and couldn't find it .. then saw it going round and round inside the machine. Apparently it still works and is lovely & sparkly now ;)

FYI, the skinny-dip was excellent fun. The winds of a few days earlier had abated and although it was a tad 'bracing', we wouldn't miss it. This year there were 611 dippers (200 more than in 2017) and we'll be back there in 2019.

• Options
    Evening all,

WtnMel, walking is good cross training, and a nice break from running. Re Garmin's being waterproof, they are supposed to be waterproof to 50 metres, but are not recommended for swimming, which doesn't seem to make sense, unless you are a deep sea diver. I'm not inclined to test mine in the washing machine, which reminds me that I have some washing waiting to be put into the machine. All you skinny dippers are very brave, as the water must be very cold.

Ran 8.1 miles in the forest this morning at good pace. It was very cold at the start, so I wore two tops. I soon regretted this as the temperature climbed rapidly and I was soon sweating.
  • Options
    HS - I probably won't be bothering to wear my Garmin for swimming as my breaststroke is at the 'leisurely' end of the scale so the time taken is unimportant. But nice to know it would probably survive a dunking if that ever happened. Well done re your 8ml run - a couple of ladies at the club run on Thu wore long-sleeved tops over their t-shirts but they soon had them tied round their waists.