Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    I've sent the usual futile e-mail to the monitors of Runners World. Their guardianship really is pathetic. 
  • Options
    Yesterday would have been my first XC of the season, but as Steve was feeling a bit under the weather I gave it a miss and instead I ran 5 laps of our local hilly park (which I think probably replicated the XC course quite well). Steve was feeling a lot better today so we went for a bike ride this morning and as the sun was shining I made the mistake of thinking it would be quite warm, so only wore my running tights and a thin long sleeve top. I soon regretted this and after a couple of miles I was chilled to the bone and could hardly feel my fingers. By the time we had turned around and were heading home it had clouded over and we were riding back into a blustery head wind. Needless to say I was very glad to get home and have a hot cup of coffee. I’ll make sure I’m more appropriately dressed for my next bike ride!

Well done Exhausted for reporting that spammer. I may be wrong but it seems there are more spammers on this “new” mature runners thread than the original one. It makes me so annoyed when I see their posts.

Excellent turnout for your skinny-dip WtnMel, glad the weather wasn’t too grim. The beaches at Druridge and Bamburgh are really nice. There’s a lovely 10k around Druridge Bay country park which includes a long stretch of the beach (about a mile if I remember rightly) then finishes with a lap of the DB parkrun course.

What a good idea to look up parallel parking on Google HS. I haven’t driven since I was in my late twenties, but I can vividly remember being hopeless at parallel parking! If ever I start driving again I will certainly turn to Youtube for tips. 

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

How did we get to October so soon?  Nearly Christmas!  Looking forward to either a marathon or preferably an ultra on Wednesday so keeping everything crossed I can go as although I love running round where we live I need a good catch-up with my running chums :smiley:

WtnMel I saw some of Ruths photos.  Glad you enjoyed your dip. 

TE, sometimes my parallel parking is spot on and other times (usually if I over-think it!) not quite as good.  Do you remember the old TV information adverts with Reginald Molehusband?

Aquarius, how's Steve getting on?
  • Options
    Aquarius, cars of today reverse park themselves, so no need to worry  about it.
    Hillstrider, always like to start a run feeling a little chilly, knowing within 5mins I will be warm.
    Absolutely not going to run a race a week before Cardiff half , so where did I find myself yesterday morning ? On the start line of a very hilly 16K trail race, what's the matter with me, I should know better.  

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Haha how did your trail race go yesterday Moks? (It's too tempting isn't it - you know you shouldn't do it but........).

I agree Red, October does seem to have arrived awfully quickly. The Derwent Walk is looking very autumnal with lots of blackberries, apples and berries everywhere you look, and the trees are starting to get their lovely autumn colours. I think this is my favourite season. Thanks for asking about Steve, actually I think the bike ride turned out to be a bit ambitious as he has hardly done any running or cycling since the beginning of the year when the atrial fibrillation was diagnosed. The cardiologist's aim is to sort out the atrial fibrillation so Steve can get back to running etc but obviously the medication still needs to be fine tuned, and until he can get another appointment we are playing it by ear. Steve had thought he was feeling pretty good, which is why he attempted the bike ride, but perhaps 7 miles was too much, especially as there were some steep inclines. However 24 hours later and the fibrillation has settled down again, so next time we are going to try a shorter flatter route and see how he fares with that. 

We're on babysitting duties again tomorrow (poorly granddaughter is off school) then on Wednesday Steve has a dentist's appointment at the coast so I'm hoping to get to a training session there with the "alternative group" who meet on a Wednesday, but that all depends on my toe - I managed to stub it really hard this afternoon and have been hobbling around ever since. It feels quite stiff (and very painful) and has turned a lovely shade of black and blue. I've iced it twice but the ice pack made it hurt even more, so I've given up on that now.

For the last few days I've been getting car insurance quotes (Steve hasn't got the patience for this :D ) what a pain it is, then next month the house insurance is due  :/ 

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Exhausted - I've also marked that spammer's post as spam but I don't know why I bother as RW never do anything about it.

Aquarius - sorry to hear Steve was under the weather but glad to hear he got better. Shame about your 'bracing' bike ride due to lack of suitable clothing (I'll resist making a dip-related comment!).

Red - harrumph .. October isn't nearly xmas!! ;)

Mok - yes, you should have known better with your race preparations.

Aquarius (again) - yes, looking around for competitive insurance is a pain but when I see the resulting savings it's worth it.

No running for me since Thu and we're off on holiday again this Thu so as I probably mentioned before, I'll get back into regular running again when we get back.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Exhausted, I agree that the management of the RW forums is pathetic, non existent even. They couldn't care less about spammers invading the threads. There were Moderators before the RW Web was ruined by the so called upgrade, resulting in the migration away by the majority of the regular contributors.

Aquarius, good to hear that Steve is now feeling better. The weather is rather strange at the moment, being really cold first thing, and then warming up. It's difficult to know what to wear for running.
    Hope your toe isn't giving you too much pain now.
    I looked on the "go compare" web for car insurance quotes and noted that the cheaper ones had much higher costs for what you had to pay towards a claim.

Red, hope that you managed to run a marathon or ultra today. The weather seems to be ideal today for an endurance race.
    I don't remember the name Reginald Moleshusband. I remember the "clunk click every trip," and "think bike" with Reg Harris, one of our most famous racing cyclists who died a few years ago. Remember "e for b and Georgey Best."?

Mok, yes we soon warm up once we get going. Not a good idea doing a trail race the week before a half marathon. Good luck with the Cardiff Half, and look forward to your race report.

WtnMel, enjoy your second holiday and return refreshed for when you resume running.

On Monday I ran 10.1 miles in the forest at an average pace of 9.49 minute miling. This is my best average pace since my knee injury in June last year.
    I had a good spinning session yesterday, and did a 6 mile recovery run this morning on heavy legs from the spin session.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Had a fab day yesterday with near perfect weather conditions - cool but bright and only a slight wind (it's usually blowing a hooley (sp?) ay Samphire Hoe no matter what time of year). Was lovely to catch up with lots of chums and to run the first lap with Nick who's running shed loads of marathons and ultras to set new Guinness World Records - this year he's already run 200 marathons/ultras!!!  Finished in about 5.5 hours but cba'd to go out for an ultra even though I had plenty of time :smiley:
  • Options
    Morning all,

A damp and dismal morning with fine rain that's worse than heavy rain.

Glad you enjoyed your race yesterday Red, you must have run thousands of miles already this year.

Just back from a visit to the Dentist, who was able to rebuild a tooth that had broken in half. This afternoon I have someone coming round to sort out my printer. When I try to print, a message appears advising "Printer in error mode." I think that the problem may have been caused by my trying to print double sided, as I had 9 pages to print. This probably upset the settings, and I imagine that the printer will need to be deleted and then downloaded again. I could do this myself, but as I have a maintenance contract, might as well take advantage of it.
  • Options
    Working in the garden yesterday in shorts only, sticking up a new fence nice and warm ,glad to get my run in early.

Another warm day, sorting out kit for Cardiff half and the logistics of our return to UK .
    All the best for the weekend X

• Options
    I went out for an early evening walk on Wednesday as it had that beautiful slightly misty burnished October softness in the air. I did a circuit that took in some fields then out along the cliffs. 

Where are they? The rabbits I mean! I didn't see a single rabbit. If you went out running or walking at any time of day, rabbits would be nibbling grass then scoot into the hedgerows when you passed. As you drove around they'd be nibbling on the grass verges. Our garden used to have lots of rabbits. Now there are none.

Talk about Silent Spring! Anyone know?
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Afternoon all, what a glorious day it is and I've been poo-picking for most of it so far.   I wore my Garmin and clocked up 7 or 8 barrowloads and 6.25 miles!  Been offered a GB place for VLM next year (so no need to beat them up on my behalf thanks Exhausted xxx) so will have to raise lots of dosh again unless I get in via the ballot.  So I'm not setting up a new page until I know if I've got a ballot place which I should know by next week.............  

Edit to reply to Exhausted - cross posts.  There has been a new virus decimating the rabbit population this year alongside the usual mixy.  We usually have hundreds on our land but have only seen a handful this year.

Mr Fox is this your old adversary? 

• Options
    Morning all,

Another foggy morning first thing, but has now cleared and raining heavily and forecast to last all day.

Mok, good luck with the Cardiff Half Marathon, I'll be watching it on the red button.

Exhausted, I haven't seen any rabbits for years. I don't know whether there are any in the forest, but if so, I've never seen them. Lots of donkeys seem to have appeared from nowhere. They seem to prefer standing on the roads, instead of off. I haven't seen any of the pigs either this year, which are introduced to the forest each year to eat the acorns, which are deadly to the ponies.

Red, fingers crossed that you get a ballot place for the London Marathon.
    What a wonderful performance by Geoff Oliver, and on the track as well. I dread to think how many laps that must be, and how boring.

I haven't run since Wednesday, as my knee decided to play up again. It was quite painful walking yesterday, but seems much better today. I will have another rest day tomorrow, and hope to run the Solent Half Marathon route on Monday with Sarah, knee permitting.
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Hello all, catching up with you again. Loved Exhausted's story about escaping onto the roof at a saving of £100 a time. Sorry to hear about Mr. Fox's damaged wrist, and Aquarius's stubbed toe.
    Now you mention it, I haven't seen any rabbits for ages, either. I have occasionally seen hares, while walking in the wilder bits of the locality.
    I'm not much good at parallel parking. I don't attempt it unless there's plenty of space. I attribute this to the fact that one didn't have to "learn" it at the time I took the driving test. But, as somebody said, modern cars almost do it for you. Several of my children (or their Other Halves) have such cars.
    Still progressing cautiously with the running. 6 and a half miles yesterday. Doesn't really look like much beside the distances most of you are doing.
  • Options
    We’ve been away with the family to Center Parcs for the weekend, which unfortunately means I’ve missed another XC fixture, So to make up for it I ran around CP a few times, and it was quite a hilly route so that would have been similar to the hills in the XC, although the running was mainly on tarmac, so no mud to contend with. We’d hired bikes for our stay but to be honest I found the running easier than the cycling, those hills really took it out of my quads. The first couple of times I had wobbly legs when I got off the bike, but was managing a lot better by the time we left. It was a nice break (although very chilly) but tiring. I’m out of practice with late nights I’m afraid! Tomorrow night is the start of our club’s monthly 5k Grand Prix runs at the coast, so fingers crossed it will be a little warmer than today. 

Hello Columba, nice to hear from you again. I think 6.5 miles is very respectable.

Moks - how did the Cardiff HM go? I recorded the race while I was away and hope to find time tomorrow to watch it.

HS, sorry to hear that your knee is playing you up again. Is it any better after resting it? Did you manage to run the Solent HM route today with Sarah?

Red - any news yet about your VLM ballot place? Keeping fingers crossed for you (and congratulations for being offered a GB place!)

Exhausted, I agree about the lack of rabbits (although I did see one today at Center Parcs, but would normally expect to see quite a few during a visit. I was also surprised that we didn’t see a single squirrel there, most unusual).
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Well I got another VLM running top along with the 'we don't want you to run our marathon' packet today.  Ha, I'll still be there though so my serious fund-raising hat will be back on yet again!  This will be my 11th and last VLM unless I suddenly get speedy to earn a GFA place which is highly unlikely.  I've done it with 10 GB places for ARUK and the only time I got in without was for having been rejected 5 times (back when they used to do that to make it fairer).

Welcome back Columba and Aquarius (I agree that biking up hills is hard!).

TE, sorry to hera your naughty knee is playing up and hope it recovers quickly.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Thanks for your concern about my knee. I did run the half marathon route yesterday with Sarah, and the knee didn't didn't really cause any problems. I wasn't very happy with my performance though, as I was breathing hard, but only running slowly.  I decided not to do spinning class this morning, to give me more recovery time. I'm feeling ok today, and hoping that yesterday was "just one of those off days."

Columba, running 6.5 miles proves that you are getting back into running again, as that is a good distance.

Aquarius, I have tried running after spin sessions, and found that I had "jelly legs." How ironman triathletes manage to run a full marathon after cycling over 100 miles is really awesome. Good luck with your 5k Grand Prix run this evening.

Red, sorry to hear that you didn't get a ballot entry for the London Marathon.

Mok, looking forward to your Cardiff Half Marathon race report.
  • Options
    Redhead said:
    Mr Fox is this your old adversary? 

That's him Susie.  Raced him twice and beat him twice but that's over 20 years ago. There's no way I could live with him now.  I've all on to keep running 24 minutes, let alone 24 hours.  He's incredible......like you!

• Options
    Met Geoff at the Barry track 40miler earlier this year, he ran in ordinary clothes, trousers and shirt , well impressed by his performance then and now . 
    Thanks for all the support 1.46 .08 at a canter, looking to improve on that in 3 weeks time .
    Really sad to lose 2 runners in 1 race, wish the families all the best, not good ,not good at all when things like this happen 
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Devastating. Just been looking at the "happy family" photo taken before the race.
    Went to the "spin" class tonight. The instructor (instructress) and one other person there had done Cardiff. In their view it was hideously overcrowded.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Very sad news from the Cardiff half and such young men too. Haven't heard of this happening in 1/2s before, only in full marathons.

Moks that was a stonking time for you though so well done!
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Agree that it's very sad that two young men have died after crossing the finish line at the Cardiff Half Marathon. Apparently they crossed the line within two minutes of each other. There will be many that will again say that running is dangerous, but thankfully deaths are very rare, and runners and other sports people are healthier than couch potatoes.

Moks, well done in the Cardiff Half, that is a very impressive time.

Columba, I don't like races with such large numbers, never have. In the days when I did the GSR numbers were far fewer, and comprised mainly good standard club runners. I probably won't do any more road races, but will stick with off road and multi terrain.

Red, I've never heard of runners dying in half marathons either.

Thankfully I seem to have recovered from whatever it was that made Mondays 13.1 mile training run such a struggle. I did a really good fitness test spin session on Wednesday, and a good pace 6.1 mile forest run this morning with Giuliana.
  • Options
    Hi all, back to training and a local 11K trail race this Sunday .
    Very windy now, early morning speed session 4x 800m along a straight flattish road.

Hillstrider , I do not like big races either, prefer smaller ones room to breath.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Can't believe it's still so warm.  Vest and shorts for me tomorrow in Ashdown Forest for either marathon or 50k depending on my mood and the weather.

Moks 11k is a short raining run for you!

TE, glad you seem to have recovered OK.

Have a lovely weekend everyone  :)
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Moks, good luck with your 11k trail run. 

Red, Thanks . I'll be running tomorrow, but not sure how far. I'm running with Alice on Monday. She hasn't run for several weeks, so is keen to get back into it again .
    Good luck tomorrow for your marathon/ultra tomorrow .

I'm attaching a photo from yesterday's forest run

• Options
    Extremely windy here, but at least the rain stopped a couple of hours ago. If it’s like this tomorrow I’ll not be venturing out for a run. I had a good fartlek session yesterday and a pretty good (if windy) Grand Prix run on Tuesday, at least it was going well until I developed a stitch at the half way point after coming up a steep ramp off the lower promenade. I seem to remember this sometimes happened at this point when doing these runs last year, it must be something to do with that short steep incline, strange because inclines don’t usually give me a stitch. 

I agree about crowded races HS/Moks, every time I did the GNR I used to say I would never do it again because of the congestion during the whole of the race, also it took 40 minutes to just get over the start line, not to mention the hassle of getting there and getting home again due to the huge numbers of competitors (whether using public transport or driving and causing traffic jams). 

I hope your trail race goes well on Sunday Moks - whereabouts is it? 

Make the most of the warm weather Red, I think it’s due to change soon, hope it lasts for your run tomorrow.

Love that photo HS!

• Options
    Aquarius, just south of us a 30 min drive, it's called Gourin smallish town with a beautiful Chateau where we will be running around it's gardens.

Just drove past our local  running track and a large branch is hanging from a tree top 
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Did you run today Aquarius? Glad you liked the photo? the little donkey was so cute.

It was raining heavily and very windy early this morning, but when I set off for my run at 8.30am the rain had just stopped and the wind had died down. I ran 9.1 miles on roads, as I thought that some trees might have fallen in the forest.
    I had an nice lunch with Karen, her husband and the twins in a quaint little cafe at midday. 
  • Options
    Morning all,

Very heavy rain this morning, so I'm glad that I didn't run.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Had a lovely day out yesterday in Winnie the Pooh country - I love Ashdown Forest even though it is a rather challenging route.  The weather was kind to us and I trotted around in 6:03 (I think) which is slightly faster than day 1 last year which was 6:06 and was a surprise given that I'm 1/2 stone heavier!  Decided against doing the double and am catching up on home stuff today.