Options

P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    F*ck me, excuse my language, some mental running here this weekend. I did 9 miles with sore toes and called it a day. I think I should have stayed off thread until I got back into the swing of it.

Lit - My GP clubmate was saying that problems with iron absorption are much more prevalent in women, independent of losses (which I think you were alluding to).

Tommo - no air flow over the body in the gym means your heart has to pump more blood to the surface for cooling measures. But there is no additional oxygen demand from working muscle so your breathing isn't especially affected.
  • Options

I ran my PB (3:02:19) at Brighton last year after 13 wks averaging 57 mpw. This doesn't include race week when I ran 30 miles over 4 days with Monday & Friday off. Prior to that I'd had an ankle injury which meant I'd only done 35 miles in 3 weeks about half of that on crutches & almost all of it at parkrun!

2015 I averaged 67 mpw for the 15 wks prior to race wk running every day for 114 days up to the marathon. I PBd then too with a 3:09 to get my first GFA.

Drinking - I never take anything these days but in the summer I might run past the toilets & grab a drink from the sink. I ran a marathon last year with nothing & a few years ago I did a 3:30 marathon along Bristol-Bath cycle path after a night out with only a 500ml water bottle. At the time my official marathon PB was 3:40 set a month previous.

Nice LT Tommo. I agree I like the TM for consistency of pace but I sweat even in sub-zero temperatures so you can imagine the state I was in after a 17K w 9@LT session!. Did you use an incline though?

• Options

Looks like your coping with the high mileage well Matt, 2:47 training marathon?! Hope it doesn't take too much out of you

The training group I normally run with did a 52.5 lap tempo session on the track on Saturday, equivalent of a half marathon. 

Nice session that 5km/mp alternating one Ramjet!

Plenty of 20+ mile runs over the weekend image

70 mins exercise bike on Sat, followed by a hungover 30 min run to pick up the car on Sun. Today just went to the gym and did some strength exercises etc

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Thanks FBT

Westy I guess your body is adjusting to serious training again after some time off.

Glad to see your comeback continuing Scott.

6 miles recovery @ 8:30 today. I actually love this cold, dry, still weather. Perfect for running.

• Options
    Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
  • Options

Keep up the good work Scott. Was that a continuous pace HM session? I did 3 HM sessions on the track in the run up to Abo last year: 1M wu, 3M MP, 8x800 with 2min walking recoveries, 3M LT, 1M cd. Averaged 1:34. I switched direction for each phase. Really enjoyed those sessions in a twisted way.

• Options

Just done a bit of core work. Started doing some of the core and strength work from the book.  Not as much as is recommended, but first time I've really done it with any sort of consistency.   Anyone else?

As for sub-3hrs..  are we talking age-graded?!

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Pleased to see the comeback is going nicely Scott.

NE- core/strength work for me consists of a bit of yoga/stretching every day and Pilates class once a week. Should probably do more....just don't have the time.

Recovery week this week so just 9 miles easy this morning which was ideal considering the density of the fog out there-never run in anything that thick before! Luckily my Knuckle lights just about got me through it so I could see enough to put one foot in front of another! It was an interesting experience let's put it that way....

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

NE - just started to try and do a bit of core work yesterday....just a few planks and situps. Can't be arsed to do anymore quite yet.

Ramjet - think you're right...thought I'd come back all fresh and raring to go...but also two speedier sessions a week is more than I'm used to, and I'm all old and creaky these days. After yesterdays; 3x1mi VO2 intervals that's it for this week...rest is slow. 20mi on Friday.

Never take drinks with me anymore...but sometimes on a hot day I regret that decision.

• Options
    NE - I try to do a bit of core every day as I have a glass back. It helps with the back, it would be a bonus if it helps with running/ injury prevention.

We are all getting older Westy - I'm sure if I sat on the sofa eating all day I'd look healthier.

LT session today, moved from Friday as I've got the Southern XC this Sat and I don't want to die on my arse anymore than I need to. Do people run XC at even effort ? I find on up hills I hit max effort just to hold place which I can hold relatively easily on flat and downhills. Maybe I'm just rubbish at hills.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭

NE: I do 3-4  30min strength/mobility sessions a week. All done in my front room in front of the telly and mostly all body weight. I've had a lot of knee problems and this stuff sorts it out but I have to do quite a bit otherwise I'm in trouble (I get my workouts for the week from these guys www.therunexperience.com although you do have to pay a sub each month)

• Options

Haha, Muddy, your response sums up my thoughts on the standard of running from this thread last weekend too.

Thanks for all the water info. Makes me feel better - I really used to feel I needed 1 litre + on a long run, and drank it all. Maybe the body becomes used to having less water with experience? I will stick with my 330ml bottle for now, it straps on the hand so I can forget about it.

I had ambitions of doing a S&C session once a week at the beginning of my plan.. haven't done one for a few weeks now, but I do feel better/stronger when I do. Going to physio today for a check up after being diagnosed with RSI in my wrist. Terrified I'm going to be yelled at for also not managing to do the million shoulder stretches a day I was told to..  

• Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Wow some impressive LRs and LT sessions, it's really in the thick of P&D on here now! For me ML84's rapid training marathon just pips tom13's LR at just 6:40s - great running.

I've had to take a few days off. Did a downhill tempo followed by 10@MP a couple of weeks ago and last week my left shin bone started to feel sore. All the more worrying as I could even feel it a little when walking. Tested it a couple of times on the treadmill but it didn't feel right so just stopped. It's a strange one as it's not painful and comes and goes but is noticeable when I run. The only slight pain is when I squeeze the inside calf, between the shinbone and bottom of the calf muscle. I've taken 3 days off so far and will test again tomorrow. Trying to stop myself self-diagnosing on google but it is beginning to concern me. Should I see a physio and/or get it scanned?
  • Options

Jooligan - the session they did was 16k @ 3:40, 5k @ 3:30.

I'm doing quite  a bit core stuff at the gym currently and am definitely going to keep this up. Been looking online for ideas of what to do

Probably going to be the driest southerns for a while Macca, not the usual mudfest that Parliament Hill can be!

Around 48 mins in the freezing fog this morning, hair looked very icey when got back. Longest run for some time image

• Options

I am a bit behind on the thread so will catch up properly later, probably on the toilet trying to avoid my children & wife.

When I saw Matt's 2:47 I was underwhelmed having remembered the tale of his 2:39 back and forth on the canal last time. I think this one is him being sensible image

I hate carrying water, if I am training inthe summer over 18 miles I will take a drink or a liquid gel but in the winter nothing.

HA77 wrote (see)

Sorequad - for my first marathon (London 2003) I probably only ran over 40mpw a few times in the 4 months or so before and ran 2:55. I have a feeling Reg may have done something similar. At the time however I was probably capable of a 1:17ish half so I had plenty of speed but was seriously lacking in endurance. 

My first marathon was no training in 3:40 and more recently I ran 2:59 off 25 mpw. Last year I did London in 2:48 45 mpw, this was my first proper stab at it. There appears to be a diminishing return though. I think I ran about 1:18 for HM when I did the 2:59 but I guess I could have gone a bit faster as I was just doing it to get the GFA.

• Options

John - hope it's nothing too serious. I always think getting it checked out is a sensible option.

Macca - good to hear you're doing the southerns, I'll be there. What vest will you be in - will try and look out for you. Anyone else on here doing it?

Scott - good to see you're getting back in to it. 

Just sent off my Guinness world record application for London. Come April you may be looking at the fastest marathoner dressed as a swimmer. Hahaha. And yes, obviously speedo's are compulsory. 

• Options
    John - I'd say it's better to get it checked out now. The longer you leave it, the worst it gets, the longer it'll take to fix.

Pleased to see you getting back into it Scott!

Amazing Joe! We might get to start together at London then - I'll be chasing the fastest TV character, dressed as Bananaman. What time do you need to beat?
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

I reckon this is the look you should go for Joe.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnONUbB_Klnz7fmLkPuYopfkURp7HurqGHO_SeUVlWcg_uNhuC

No running due to illness caught from son. Probably do the achilles good anyway.

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

JCG - are you dressed as bananaman or is it someone you know? You wouldn't want to run out of bananas part way around and have to sulk back to Acacia Road having turned back into Eric, an ordinary school boy.

• Options
    I will be Bananaman image What I'm really hoping, is to find someone dressed as a banana to chase down the mall.
  • Options

Joe - I have never seen anyone swimming in trainers so I expect you to be barefoot or at least in flip flops.

As much as I deplore this kind of attention seeking nonsense it will be fun to see.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Joe/JCG - what are current records?

Joe - you should wear flippers.

John...I had something similar...I saw someone and they said probably just an overuse muscle injury and to stop running till it stops hurting. Took 3 or 4 months.

• Options
  • Options

I'm assuming that leads to evidence of swimming with trainers (can't check at work), the point is to encourage Joe to be even more ridiculous and you're not helping image

• Options

Don't worry Reg, I'll be all 'serious runner' for Manchester, but for London I plan on being as ridiculous as possible. Plus, no-one would give me charity money for running 'another marathon.'

My time to beat is only 4:27 - I'm pretty confident that won't be a problem, I just have to hope no super speedy lady turns up as some other tv character.

• Options

Just decided what to wear for London this April. image

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mgE5rRnsu_7QKGeoGaNimMg.jpg

• Options
    Haha, noooooo! Did you know that is what the current record holder wore??
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

That will be nice and warm Lit.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Enjoying all the fancy dress talk. I always think of it for a week or so after London and the forget about it until it's too late.

I finally got back on the plan today 10 with 5@LT legs and lungs felt a little rusty so slightly off target but all between 6:28 and 6:30. So I'll take that.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I wonder if you can get a Trump costume?