Options

P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Yes Macca-they still say that-annoyingly!!

Good news Trev-be careful with it-no rush.

Cracking threshold run Spoons.

Feeling hungry now....going to have my usual friday lunch of peanut butter and jam on toast with a very large cup of coffee!

• Options
    TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Tom - Not surprised you are feeling hungry if you are up at 4 doing a half marathon! Would love that pace to feel comfortable but seeing as its about 40seconds quicker than my LT pace I don't think I ever will!

Thanks all for the advice. Have looked at the plan and over the next couple of weeks I only have a one long run with MP section and a VO2 session so not too much speed work to miss. Was weirdly really looking forward to 20 tomorrow but not going to complain when it could have been a lot worse.

• Options
    Tom13 wrote (see)

Yes Macca-they still say that-annoyingly!!

Feeling hungry now....going to have my usual friday lunch of peanut butter and jam on toast with a very large cup of coffee!

Now that is sick! (not the coffee)

• Options

I think peanut butter & jam wraps are the reason I'm 10kg heavier than HA yet almost the same height. That and cake Friday - too many to choose from so I just have a piece of each!

Cracking LT Spoons & MP HM Tom.

Good news TrevO. Doesn't sound catastrophic at all. Stick to LSR for a bit once you're comfortable to run & come back slowly. VO2 sessions are the least important according to P&D so definitely avoid those till you're sure it's A1 IMO.

• Options

Yet more awesome running from Tom. Honourable mentions to Ramjet, Macca and Westy's LT bonanzas and RSR's mileage (whoa!) and LT sessions.

Sorry to hear of your woes TrevO. As a former hamstring strain sufferer my answer has been to work on glute strength and hamstring curls with one of those big bouncy ball things that you see in gyms (forgot the technical description).

Same for you HA - hope you're back at it soon.

All easy running for me this week after last week's mostly blank days. Couple of double digit days bookended by a couple of 5m or so easy runs puts me in a good position for a weekend of 20 or so miles across 2 runs. I am starting to feel like a runner again after a few lumbering efforts and can almost not feel my knackered toes now (though that could be the cold).

I'm probably on the heavier side for marathoning I think, at 189cm and 75 kg - weight doesn't really fluctuate that much as I don't weigh myself very often :P

Catching up with other thread themes, I graduated in trainers but wasn't a runner at the time, just a young lad with a chip on his shoulder. Wore gowns through gritted teeth. I should have just not bothered with it.

• Options
    Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭

My plan is getting unbalanced. I'm delaying recovery week for a couple of weeks so it falls just before a HM in Feb that I'd like to give a fair crack (it's my softest PB). Today I swapped out a MLR for a couple of miles less but with 5 x 1miles at 5k-10k pace. I figured it was the equivalent of another LT session but with some added pace.

I didn't go to my graduation - another young lad with a chip on his shoulder! But subsequently I'm now on the other side and I always go. Hate the performance & ceremony of it all but I want to support the students who did work hard & do value their degrees.

• Options

Tommo... are you an academic?

Sounds like a full comeback is imminent muddy, great news! Also pleased your injury isn't too serious TrevO.

My bananaman 'base layer' arrived today, accidentally ordered purple instead of blue.. anyone in the market for a Cadbury purple catsuit?

• Options

I am an academic and I love going to graduation as I only did the PhD for the cool hat. I didn't bother graduating from my MA because the hat was the same as for the BA so it seemed pointless.

• Options

I never bothered with graduation either & have no regrets.

You've ruined my excuses for being slow Muddy: we're about the same height/weight but I should have an age advantage. I'll have to think of another. Good to hear you're back in training.

Not for me JCG. Doubt it would fit anyway.

Nice run Tommo. My adherence to the plan is very loose. I delayed recovery week by 1 as I was racing last Sunday & I've done a very similar week again as I'm racing again Sunday. It's a pan flat 8 mile road race. This will be my 6th consecutive time there. PBd every year til last when I went backwards but that was due to coming back from injury over Christmas/New Year. Wasn't quite as slow as my first time there.

Feeling very twitchy as I've not run at all today. Just a couple of sessions in the gym with plenty of stretching & foam rolling between lifts

• Options
    Hi everyone. I just splashed out on the Advanced Marathoning 2nd edition. I have been following the marathon plan from Road Racing for Serious Runners. I can't believe how much harder the plans are! I was looking at 55/70 plan. I'm impressed you all fit those medium long runs in. It's right from the start as well.
  • Options
    Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    Coop - yep, correct. And Lit. clearly isn't the marxist I am.

Jooligan - thanks. And good luck for Sunday! Fingers crossed you go forwards this time.

Ian - it is hard. The irony is, after listenening to Pfitzinger on Marathon Talk, he said he'd include more hills and strides if he could update the plan!!
  • Options
    Tommo - unbelievable ha ha! I looked at a fairly early week with 9, 11, 13 and 15 mile runs in it. Must be tough fitting it in. I can get the miles but mainly by shorter doubles and a couple of longer runs each week. I'm very impressed how you all manage to do it.
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Great MLR this morning Tom! So you do a 15 miles progression on Wed for fun and a casual 13 @ MP at 4am this morning? I have no words...

Good news TrevO! A couple of recovery weeks will do you no harm.

Good luck with that race Jooligan. I have yet to notice any similarity between your running and a P&D planimage

13 mile MLR @ 7:50 pace for me this afternoon. Another run spoilt by bowel and bladder "issues". Stuffing myself with Indian food for lunch might not have been a great idea...

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Am I allowed two posts in a row?

5.5 miles with strides today. Plan says 7 but I only had a 45 min slot. Did plenty of extra miles on Mon and Tue anyway.

Hope you are all having a great weekend peeps!
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Yes you're allowed Ramjet-well done for keeping the thread near the top of the charts!image

0 miles today-vary rarely run on a Saturday-rest day (if you can call taking son swimming, gynmastics and around the shops restful!)

Have a good weekend everyone-hope all long runs/MP runs etc. go to plan.

• Options

Remember I have the first edition Ramjetimage Seriously though my mileage is close (if a little high), as is pace (if a little fast) & I'm doing the hard sessions as prescribed. I've shuffled the days around so my rest day is Friday as often as it is Monday. The Long Run has suffered a bit as I've had to break it in 2 to fit it in midweek as a commute due to my racing at w/e. Back to the plan next week as no racing next Sunday.

10K today with a steady wu/cd then an 18:46 parkrun in the middle at the new one in Newport.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    That's a swift parkrun Jools. Nothing wrong with tweaking the plan a little bit.

Swift MLR Ramjet. Over a minute a mile faster than mine this week. I'm off in a bit to do the 7 with strides.
  • Options
    Great PR Jools and good luck for the race today, and anyone else racing this w/e.

Ram - stuffing yourself with Indian food is always a good idea (in my book), decent MLR despite.

Southern XC yesterday for me. After feeling a twinge in my calf on Fridays recovery run I took Ram's advice and ran the first of the three laps steady and then pushed on. It seemed to work as the calf behaved and I wasn't staring at my watch willing the miles by. If anything, I felt I ran out of miles to overtake people in. Mind you, there were a lot of people in front, 699 out of a field of around 1000. A lot less muddy than last year so difficult to compare but around 5 mins quicker and, a couple of hills aside, less painful.

Nice to meet BR at the end, even if he did look fresh and full of energy. I'm going to have to join a thread for people that look wasted after races, I'll feel more at home there.image
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Great racing going on from macca, jools and hats off to tom for running a half quicker than most of us can imagine whilst probably half asleep!

The diminutive sizes of the tokyo elites is really interesting, maybe not a surprise but makes me realise how much of an impact weight can have. I've always been around 60kg since I was a teenager (170cm) and I thought that was OK but a few kilos off could have a big benefit (and there is definitely some excess baggage around my waist that should go).

Weekly update on my shin pain - ran 5 days this week, couldn't face the 5@LT, and whilst the slight dull pain hasn't disappeared, it does seem to have improved a bit. Weirdly the longer I run the less I feel it, which leads me to suspect it is muscle related and not shin splints or a stress fracture. In fact I ran 21 miles today at exactly 8mm pace, which is quicker than any of my other runs this week! Not sure what treatment to do next but will stay off speedwork until next weekend when I'll do the 6@LT in a 10k race locally.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Swift Parkrun Jooligan!

Excellent racing on the XC Macca. 5 miutes quicker than last year is terrific improvement-top stuff!

Great news about the shin John and a super long run today.

22 miles @ 6:45s this morning for me. Comfortable but absolutely soaked by the end of it. Quite enjoyed running in the rain.....until about 17 miles by which time I just wanted to get home and dry.

• Options

Great news from the physio TrevO, doubt you’ll lose too much dropping a couple of faster sessions if you can continue to get the mileage in.

IanRunner - Welcome. The MLRs are hard work, and can be a pain to fit in during the week, but they are the bread and butter of the plan Imo, they are great preparation for the marathon.

Great parkrun Jooligan, and XC Macca. Running up and down Parliament Hill in the mud is not my idea of fun, and I can assure you I’d be looking wasted if I’d taken part image

Sounds positive on the shin pain John, good call to drop the LT that might have aggravated it.

Great long run Tom!

I also had 22 miles today, although a tad slower at 7:22/mi average. Really pleased, legs felt strong despite being at the end of my third 100 mile week in a row, and pace didn’t slow at the end even though I ran it fasted. Overall a positive week, just one more 100 mile week next week before I get a well earned recovery week. image

• Options

Well done at the XC Macca & BR

Quality pair of 22 milers there too.

Sounds positive John.

Having done just under 2 miles after 6 weeks off at the beginning of the week, I just bookended the week with a 4 miler. Legs felt a bit tired after 94 miles on the bike yesterday. Foot seemed to behave but I am seriously paranoid about it and walked the last half a mile to be safe.

It felt ok walking after but time will tell.

• Options

A couple of very good 22s Tom and Spoons - great stuff.

Reg - glad to hear it seems things are looking up. putting some good bike and swim work together as well, nice.

Great to meet Macca at the Southern XC yesterday at Parliament Hill - we had a good chat afterwards and spoke about the fact there are so many of us doing London so will all try and say hello beforehand or something. Looking forward to it.

As for the race itself - the word most people seem to use when asked for just one is 'brutal'. The hills and mud is just relentless and at just over 9 miles its a long, long race. I don't think my calves have ever been so sore post run ever. I had a reasonable run, sneaking under the hour by a handful of seconds, which left me 321st of the 1000 or so running, an improvement of a whole 10 places from last year.

No run on the agenda today but 3.5 hours on the turbo at a steady pace. Loaded up some netflix and just got it done. Think I prefer the long runs. Some good running going on looking @ strava.  

• Options

More quality running going on everyone. Well done, keep on sharing too as it certainly inspires me. 

Hope the foot continues to behave Reg. Bit of a Catch-22. You need to listen to it but also to trust it's OK & relax or the tension could cause you to run badly & undo the good work IMO

Sounds like an excellent way to run XC Macca especially a tough 15K course like that. BR you must be bionic to look fresh after that performance!

Very strong 20+ milers from JohnOz, Tom & Spoons. Good luck with the shin pain John 21@8m/m sounds promising though. Looking forward to being able to do one next Sunday to see where I'm at endurance wise. I know my speed is as good as it's ever been.

Smashed today's 8 miler in 49:06 which is a 74s PB set in 2015 (over 3 minutes quicker than 2016 when I set my marathon PB 11 weeks later). Really pleased with that & even more so after yesterday's parkrun. Did 4 miles afterwards too to cool down bringing me to 75 for the week. Rest day tomorrow or possibly a light recovery run.

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Nice race Jooligan! That's a super fast time.

Glad my XC strategy worked Macca. The race is so much more fun when you are overtaking people rather than clinging on.

Great long runs from Tom, spoons and John.

9 miles is a long way for XC BR. Sounds tough but good training.

16 with 12 @ MP for me first thing this morning. The 6:50 pace felt hard at first but was ok after a few miles. 12 miles all at 6:50 or just under and no HR drift so happy with that. Recovery week nowimage
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Fantastic racing Jools-superb time for 8 miles!

Very impressive effort on the XC Brixton-not surprised the legs are feeling a bit battered after that!

Great long run Spoons and another massive mileage week-you must have legs of steel!

Lovely pace on that MP run Ramjet-enjoy the recovery week.

Just tucking into my third pint of Guinness......it's good for you I'm reliably informed.image

• Options

Thanks folks really stoked by that result. Highest ever Age Grading in a race 79.3% & gives a marathon predictor of 2:54:44 (using mean of Cameron, Riegel & VO2 Max) which is comfortably inside my target meaning that I'm much more confident of achieving it. Lowest I've had before is 2:57:25.

If that's the secret to your speed Tom I'm on itimage

• Options

Interesting hearing some of you will be fancy dress wearing marathoners at London

Hope the hamstring is okay TrevO and get well soon HA

Welcome Ian image

Good XCing at the Southerns from Macca and BR yesterday!

Getting up at 4:03am for a run is just too early Tom, you mentalistimage

That PB shows your in good shape for this campaign Jooligan

This week has consisted of a few runs as well as some exercise bike work as well, knee twinge returned after running to and from the gym along with loading exercises at the gym so haven't done too much. Considering the weather for the next week doesn't look like too bad a week to stick to the gym

• Options

Guess this post will be expunged with the upgrading of the site. Hopefully a price worth paying for a better, more secure site??

Ramjet... you've come on so much this last couple of years. Great running.  Was thinking about what you said about starting strength exercises during a marathon  campaign.  I wrecked my legs last week... 20 miler Sunday, very demanding 6mLT Tuesday and I did the strength routine Wednesday. Those step ups/lunges added to the stiffness that left the legs lifeless for the rest of the week.  If today's 8m race had been yesterday, I'd have struggled to compete.

Think I might have seen Jooligan today.. but didn't have the conviction to ask.  Anyway... the 8 mile race was in really good conditions... no wind, nice temperatures and light drizzle and the course really is as flat as a pancake.  That's a fantastic time Jooligan.  I also exceeded my expectations going 2 seconds faster than last year's PB!  So I suppose I can expect to shave a princely 10 or 15s off my marathon time in April!  I've a long way to go to finding the 4+ minutes I need... but I honestly didn't think I was quite yet in shape to do an 8 miler at sub-7 so I'm really pleased.

BR... sound like getting under an hour in that race was phenomenal. Tom... Guinness is definitely good for you. The more the better.  TrevO.. with any "big muscle" injury, I always think you need to take a week more than you think before doing anything resembling proper running. Waiting till it's near-enough pain-free then running normally has been a recipe for a little set back a few times for me and people I know.  Good luck.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Some amazing XC efforts and 20+ milers going on. Incredible milage and pace from Spoons. A sub 3 should be nailed on.

I did my longest run since Abingdon in October. 40k of wet muddy trails with a local group. At an event (mainly for walkers) called the Stonehenge Stomp. No official timing or results but 6 aid stations en route. entry, 3x coffees and a sausage sandwich and still had change from a fiver.

I've finally moved into the 21st century and joined Strava.