Options

P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Rob: brilliant sub-3:30 sounds like you had a great day!

Millsy: well done on the sub 3:30 as well. I'm doing Race To The King on 24th June so I've only got a couple more weeks of long runs. Aim is to get up to about 15mi on Friday morning followed by 28mi on Saturday morning. No idea how to pace or what time to aim for - I think just take it easy and see what happens. But you are a lot more experienced than me?

JCG: congratualtions!

SQ: well done on the half
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the baby JCG & managing 2 marathons whilst pregnant too. Hope it all goes well from here on for you.
    Great racing from Rob, MillsySQ. I fancy giving that Imerys marathon a crack at some point & there's a part of me which quite fancies a track one too. Did a few HM sessions on the track in the build-up to Abingdon last Autumn.
    SQ: You do like drama: writing off cars & now mass crash in the parkrun peloton. Glad nothing worse than a few grazes again. Cheltenham Midsummer Open: Wednesdays in July. Mile on the 5th, 3K 12th, 5K 26th. There are loads of shorter distances too if you fancy getting a 400m PB. Check out the Harriers website. The County 10,000m is in August but probably Gloucester track.
  • Options
    Congrats JCG. I guess there's not really time to slip an ultra in then ?
    Millsy - well done on the mara, the course profile looked tough.
    Rob - well done on the sub 3:30, knuckle down and get that GFA.  The lapped thing appeals to me, as long as you're not pushed out into lane 3 or 4 on the bends.
    AWC - you should be in good shape if you are doing 15+28 back to backs.  I've read that the hills provide natural walk breaks on the SDW, I hope to find out on 10th June in the SDW100.
    SQ - I saw the naked run on Strava and was scared to look to close just in case ;) More than respectable time in any case.  I don't get to many PRs but my local one now gets 500 per week which is a great thing but a little too crowded for my liking. Glad all came through relatively unscaved.
    Jooligan - great multiple racing as ever.  I reckon if you took a break from racing for a couple of weeks you would be like a caged animal !
    Easy 12m for me yesterday, I was blowing after 2m.

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    JCG - Great news!!! Well done. If it's a boy you've got to call it Eric. Have you been checking out running prams yet?

Scott - Just a few small bets and no winnings but the horses just seemed like a distraction from drinking really. Good luck with the calf. Has it always been your calf giving you trouble or was it your knee previously? Can't seem to remember. It's seems like it's been a real rotten run for you this past year or so.

Millsy - Sounds like a nice race. Good work on the sprint finish to get under 3:30.

Good half SQ. Still only 3 weeks after London so you can't expect too much, especially considering how hard you had it in the last few miles. Glad the crash didn't result in anything serious. 

Sounds like a tough tri Jooligan. Just the sort of thing we've come to expect. Top effort.

Well done Rob for getting under 3:30. I can't imagine doing that many laps.

First proper session since the marathon today. I gave the Moneghetti fartlek a go - 2x90s, 4x60s, 4x30s, 4x15s with equal float recovery, so 20 min total. The aim was to hold at least HMP for the recovery but as usual I went out too quick in the 90s efforts and died a bit at the end. Managed spot on 6km for the 20 min though, which is 5:22/mile. Not too bad but will be interested to see if I can improve with a bit more speed work. Really enjoyed the session and certainly haven't felt that buggered at the end of a session for a while.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Congrats JCG! With 2 marathons already under his/her belt there's no doubt he/she will be a runner!

Glad to hear the parkrun incident ended harmlessly SQ, be careful with the buggy there are some crazy runners who take all sorts of risks just to get to the front, no matter whether there are buggies, kids, old people or dogs. Well done on backing up with the HM as well, the speed is still there but may need a couple more weeks. 

Great effort on the good old mona fartlek HA77, that is a tough workout and I always end up absolutely shattered. Did well to hit HMP for the floats, what pace are you doing the efforts in?
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    John - I was aiming to do the 90s efforts at 3:20/km, increasing the speed as the effort times decreased, with 3:30/km float recoveries. Stupidly I went out much too fast for the first efforts and didn't slow down enough for the first recoveries so struggled at the end and ended up slower than MP for recoveries (3:45ish/km). Will try to be more disciplined next time. Might try to do it every 2-3 weeks or so.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Well done Millsy and Rob for the sub 3:30 marathons at the weekend. They both like tough courses but for very different reasons.  Going round and round a track so many times sounds awful!

Fantastic news JCG-congrats to you all. +1 for Eric if it's a boy!

Excellent effort Jools-multiple racing as ever-would expect nothing less from you.

Decent HM there SQ coming 3 weeks after London. Well done.

Sounds like a cracking session HA-you remind me quite a bit of Moneghetti!

Scott-No target whatsoever for Sunday apart from surviving it.......certainly don't feel very sharp at the moment but will give it a crack if I feel up for it on the day. Hope your calf issue isn't serious. You have been through enough injury probs in the last few months and deserve a change of luck.

6 miles easy this morning. I'm getting better at this easy slower stuff.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Congratualtions JCG. I never liked the name Eric but Erica is nice if it's a girl.

Nice marathons Millsy/Rob, casually knocked out. 

Good luck Sunday Tom, stop sitting on the fence and put a target time out there, you must have something in mind?

Nice work on the HM SQ.

25 miles for me last week, biggest week of the year. Foot feels good. Legs feel ok, maybe time for a parkrun or something to see how far backwards I've gone.
  • Options
    Coops - that's amazing!! Congratulations. Fantastic news. Fastest marathon dressed an a TV character while pregnant surely? A second record beckons.

AWC - blimey that's a long training run! fair play - glad you enjoyed it.

Jooligan - great racing from you this weekend. very jealous of your swimming tekkers.

OO - look forward to see how you go this weekend.

Millsy - love an impromptu marathon. sounds like a solid day at the office - especially considering you didn't have any specific focus on it. is it a trophy you get?

Rob - congratulations on the sub 3.30!

HA - nice session mate. got a funny feeling it's all going to click in the next 12 months and you're going to make huge gains - look forward to seeing it happen.

Reg - great to see it's starting to come together. don't get worried about times for now, speed will come back quick enough. 

Back in the UK - had a blast in Monaco, weather was awesome and had some great runs. Flew the missus out for the weekend and we ran together which was nice. As Scott said will have get the thread out next year and I'll hire a yacht - I'm warning you now it's hilly though!

Happy to be back on Wimbledon common trails this morning though for an easy 8 miles, GA pace seems to be lower than ever (around 7mm), so I think fitness is still there. 90 minutes on the bike this evening. 

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Congratulations JCG, that's great news! 
    Rob, impressive track marathon. I've done a 17 lap one a couple of times, not sure I could cope with 104. I'd start to get frustrated if I couldn't take the racing line at all times. 
    SQ, that's great running in the half. Especially without the watch and so close to London. It was my clubs top road runner that won it . He's on top form with a 2:30 marathon, 53min 10 miler and a 70 min half in the last 4 weekends. 
    Reg, all sounds positive with the comeback.
    HA77, those fartleks sound interesting. I really enjoyed his interview on Marathon talk a while back.

legs not feeling too bad today, I've forgotten the difference between road and trail race DOMS. I may venture out for a short run tomorrow. Managed to find out what my trophy is for. 3rd place in the 35-39 age group!! I never realised that prizes ever went that low down. Especially in a race with only 110 finishers. 
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Coop... congratulations.  Lovely news. However, I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't declare this in advance of the fantasy marathon league.  I'm sure I had you down as sandbagger captain too!

Rob - congratulations too. Are you sure you counted those laps correctly though?! Surely you must have ended up dizzy.

Macca. You've a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Scott hope the calf recovers soon.

Thanks for the info, Jooligan. I might give the mile race a crack, although being a slack teacher I am away for the rest.

HA the Moneghetti fartlek sounds great – and very impressive to cover 6km in twenty, especially with ‘breaks’ involved. Might try it soon.

Reg 25M (in addition to swim and bike) is a great step up. Hope it keeps progressing. Expecting good things at Abingdon! Which triathlon are you gunning for?

Millsy – woah – that is an impressive array of stats in four weeks. Congratulations again on the trophy – never diminish it and take any you can get! Pleased the legs are ok. I think trail vs road makes a difference, but so does whether you absolutely destroy yourself and blow up or not.

Grass track intervals this morning, although sadly sans spoons. Thought the legs might be a bit fatigued from Sunday’s race, so kept things short and sharp. 2 x 5 x 200m in 35 – 38 seconds. Nice to feel some speed, whilst keeping things a long way off mentally challenging. Enjoyed wearing the new racing flats. I think I already prefer them to my innov8 monstrosities.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    SQ - I had forgotten I'd entered Abingdon. The wife doesn't know about that one yet :) I have the European Championships in Denmark in June, that's the first of two A races. The other is an Ironman in Italy in September.

What's the issue with the innov8's? I have a tri pair which I really like. I use them for nursery pick up where you're not allowed to wear shoes in the baby room. It allows a quick transition!

I need to go back and read this HA session I missed.

Nice pics in Monaco Joe. I like the fact that you 'flew the wife out', was that in your private jet?
  • Options
    runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about the dog Millsy. Hope the injury doesn’t last too long muddy, do you know how long you might be out for?

Tom I agree completely about ultras - Macca’s achievement is incredible, but I have zero desire to try anything like that. 26.2 is plenty far enough for me.

Enjoyed the photos of you Monaco jaunt Joe, looked lovely out there. 

Snazzy trainers SQ, will see you coming in those!

Lots of great training from everyone else, nice to see Jooligan taking it easy at the weekend as usual. And well done on the age-category win Millsy!

Congratulations JCG!

Good luck at Exeter OuchOuch.

As SQ said, I sadly had to miss our intervals session today as I’m down in London for a bit of work. Managed to get out early and enjoyed revisting my old running routes along Regent’s Canal and Victoria Park. It was quite a warm morning which meant a rather sweaty 4 miles at tempo. Only managed 6:36/mi which is a little disappointing, although the Garmin trace seems to have cut the curve of the path a bit so maybe I was a touch quicker. Slowly heading in the right direction though I think.

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Reg the innov8 racing flats have been good to me, with 10km, 10M and half PBs on their CV. But they are a bit wide and flappy, and very slippy. They are also very, very yellow. Nothing wrong with that, but a bit of colour-mix doesn't go amiss. Good luck for the tris.

Solid tempo spoons. When things get tough like that, I just focus on effort. Any excuse for me to avoid really hard work!

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Tom - What is it about me that reminds you of Mona? Is it that I'm Australian, skinny and somewhat geeky and socially awkward? I wasn't sure how well he's known over here. He's a legend in Australia, one step down from Deek.

Reg - Just informed my wife about Abingdon today. Reaction - "What, another one?"

Sad to hear the SQ and Spoon had to go it alone for their sessions today.

Hope you've found a good spot for the trophy Millsy.

Just an easy 6 miles with workmates today.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    HA - I will wait until after the Ironman and lead a conversation that will end up with her suggesting I do it, I find it's much easier to get a pass when she thinks it's her idea. I just have to make sure she doesn't arrange a conflicting commitment in the meantime.

• Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    A transcript of that conversation would be greatly appreciated, Reg. 
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Yeah! Got to share that one Reg.
  • Options
    I guess mid race isn't a great time to ask for a late pass ?
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    First move is to lay the foundations, do some shit around the house, make dinner and take the children to the park.

Step 2 - get the children to bed, do slightly more than normal, bath them and put at least one of them to bed. Not too much though, you don't want to arouse suspicion.

Step 3 - Elicit sympathy, put a pre recorded marathon or similar on the telly and make statement about indicating your dissatisfaction with your previous times, chuck in some bollocks about injuries.

Step 4 - This is the killer move, "I guess I am getting too old to do what I could've done now."

Her inevitable response - "Why don't you do another one, you've just done the Ironman so it would be silly to waste all that fitness and you're still youngish."

Job done.

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    JCG - Great news, congrats!!
    Rob & Millsy - Well done on the sub 3:30's!!
    Macca - Worth the wait, an epic report.....kudos to you...that is a highly impressive run and placing!!

Ultra training has started for me....47 miles last week with a back to back of 20m/10m. Cracking weekend in Amsterdam (hence why the long runs were midweek!) saw Armin Van Buuren on Friday evening...amazing!!
  • Options
    Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    Reg, you do a shit around the house? No wonder she tells you get out & go training. 

Congratulations Coop! A baby & PhD - good luck!!! 
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Thanks Reg. It's that sort of advice that really makes this thread worthwhile.

Anyway... I just entered another marathon.  Why wait for autumn when you can do one next month? Midnight Mountain Marathon. Essentially to the top of Pen y Fan and back ...  a 2,900ft mountain near Brecon.  That should make for a nice training run.
  • Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the baby news JCG! Exciting year ahead for you and the family.

Well done on the marathons Millsy & Rob.

Good luck to those preparing for ultras, some impressive long runs getting mentioned.

Saw the Moneghetti session on strava HA77, will need to give that a try sometime (when I'm fitter).

I was floored last week with a stomach bug that my wife kindly passed to me, being the caring, sharing type that she is. Just getting back in to some decent training this week but finding it hard to get motivated as I'm heading off on holiday in 3 weeks so hardly seems worth building up just to take another break and lose any fitness gained again. Got a couple races next week though and would really like to make at least one of them as this spring hasn't gone very well racing wise.

Did another treadmill run yesterday and my forerunner 220 was about 10% out in it's prediction again (measure 8.98 mile compared to treadmills 10 miles). Does anyone know if there is any way of calibrating this?
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Gold, Reg. Weekly forum evil genius award nomination right there.

• Options
    Reg - flew her out in style, easyjet via Gatwick. Did manage to sneak her into hospitality post race so she enjoyed a few glasses of free champagne. Worrying thing now is, she thinks all I do is quaff champagne and get unlimited free food - I wish. Love the tactics re; Abingdon. I usually try and gain a few points before revealing my next race endeavour. 

NE - sounds brutal..

Sorry to hear about the bug Alan, hope things come together for you in the next few weeks. No idea about the calibration, sorry. 

Millsy - get that one up on the mantelpiece! A trophy is a trophy. I've never had one before, will have to start picking races more carefully.

Did a horrible hill reps session on the bike last night; 12 x flat out effort for 2 minutes or so up a steep hill - was torture. Legs felt surprisingly good considering that this morning, 12 miles keeping the HR in check (GA-ish pace) - 7.15mm.

I've gambled and decided to try a new brand of running shoes - Skechers. I've heard good things about them so thought I'd give them a go. Should arrive at the weekend so I'll report back.  

• Options
    Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    Joe, the Skechers Go Run 3 is my HM & marathon shoe. I find them a lovely balance between being light & fast but with cushioning. I know its quite an old iteration of them but then I don't run many long-distance races. I use the GoRunRide in training sometimes but find the toe box much less generous. 
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice one Reg. I often do something somewhat similar but much less planned and structured. Will put more thought into it next time.

NE - sounds like a great race.

Steve - Good luck with those back to back long runs.

Hope you're over that bug soon Alan.

Joe - Some solid training. Good luck with the Sketchers, I considered giving them a go but there wasn't much availability over here at the time. I think they used to be thought of as not a proper running shoe but if they're good enough for Meb Keflezighi to win Boston and come 4th at the Olympics, they're probably as good as any.

Steady 9 miles for me with 5x hill sprints up the terraced gardens in Richmond. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Great news JCG many congratulations - no marathon running for a while then?
    Thanks RSR - Aiming for first ever - split   1.27 out, hopefully less back. 
    Rob - Well done on the sub 3.30 - must have took massive mental strength and a good sense of balance.
    Well done Millsy, glad you made the most of your Cornwall jaunt.
    NE - Yoozaa. Sounds a unique event.
    Reg - I need your advice? Would like to run Munich marathon in October, even got a running pal lined-up. There is a tiny complicating factor - I am already on to run Valencia, Las Palmas and Barcelona.