Options

The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• Options
    SenidM Sounds like we appreciate the same things from our running....trails, tea and cake all the way for me, i've more than enough medals.

Dusty Bin and Ted Rogers!!! LOL!!! Good pacing Nell and Harmander, not so from the 1:45 pacer, just imagine the poor buggers trying to stay with them. 

Don't despair Andrew, you're not alone. 

A nice easy 10 miles for me on Sunday and another 5k after work today.

September - 47.90

2017 - 630.25

• Options
    YTD: 700.7

Andrew and others - keep going.

Harmander: Never be afraid to keep us up to date. I realise your figures far exceed everyone else, and perhaps you're slightly self conscious about that, but don't be. I like your input.

Nell: Prep for Chester finished? Final long run done?
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Yesterday was gym on the way home from work (5km), this morning did my local park run but back out this evening to complete 14 miles in a few seconds under 2 hrs. 

Will be tackling the York marathon (8th Oct) on the back of 2 recent HMs, 13 miles last Monday and 14 more today, so no significant long run. 

YTD: 720.9

• Options
    Poor week for me. Missed Wednesday, Friday and Saturday with absolutely no excuses.....must try harder!

Steady 10k this morning in 56 minutes. Felt harder than it should, think I may have a little cold judging by the soaked t-shirt. 

September - 54.10

2017 - 636.45
  • Options
    Another week, another race, but, just for a change a road race, The Pleshey Half. Part of the Essex Championships so I "have" to run it, and my first run on road since July I think.

I'd forgotten how much bounce you get from the road, so ended up over 15 min quicker than my last 2 trail halves (mud & hills don't help, obvs)

So, a 1:47, not quite up to Nell's, standard, but I was happy, so all good.

Hope your'e enjoying your taper Nell, nice easy week before Chester?
    Good luck with that and fingers Xd for another 3:45 or thereabouts!!

YTD:     893.01M     (should be over 900 by end of Sept, huzza)
  • Options

Last practice run (22k) before Cardiff Half for me this weekend...feeling pretty good & ready for it, about to start obsessing over the weather forecast.

Everyone is doing really well here, very impressive numbers being logged.

Nell, SenidM...we're all very close to the 1000, some others just in a league of their own.

916 miles for me YTD.

• Options
    Afternoon,

Some great running, and as Hobie has already pointed out some impressive totals being logged.
    Hobie1495, Glad you enjoyed playing in the mud on the coastal path, I am afraid mud and I don't mix, much prefer a bit of nice firm grass or tarmac. Good luck for Cardiff this weekend.
    Donnie2, Looks like the training is going well for York, enjoy the upcoming well earned rest before hand.
    Senidm, Great result on the HM at the weekend, 1.47 is proper respectable.
    Andrew, Keep going & don't panic.

Stat's for last week:

19.09.17 - 10 (long'ish slow run)
    21.09.17 - 5.62 (Fast middle)
    22.09.17 - 5 (Hill intervals) ouch.
    24.09.17 - 6.25 (Sunday night 10K) proper dark now!

YTD = 897.94

• Options
    YTD: 730.2

Been out tonight hoping to do 18 miles as a final 'big' effort before my marathon on 8th Oct!! Realistically legs were to tired and although the body was willing the legs weren't. Headed home at the half way stage with 9 and a bit miles at exactly 9 mpm behind me. Taper now on.....

Marathon training this time around has been different to my two previous efforts - more and harder miles but less long runs.  Hoping I get my pacing, prep and nutrition right on marathon day to compensate for the lack of a long hard 20 mile run. Time will tell. 

Onwards and upwards everyone. Nell and Hobie 1495 - good luck with your marathon and HR in the near future. 
  • Options
    Donnie2,
    You are on track for the 1000.
    Just cleared 400 emails received since Friday when we went to run Berlin Marathon on Sunday. I was trying to help Fauja Singh's son beat 5 hours for the course - his previous was 5:12 in 2007.  Due to an unplanned loo break, I managed to get him to do 5:01:26.  He was happy knocking over ten minutes off his time ten years later but I felt bad because I just could not drag him just those 87 seconds faster.
    Prior to that I did just over 10 miles on Tuesday and 15 miles on Thursday night (yes, a weird taper) lol
    With a 13 mile recovery run today the 
    YTD is now 2200 miles (more accurate figure in the morning - feel sleepy now.
  • Options
    Just to update on my progress, up to 659 YTD now and I have definitely abandoned the 1000 mile quest. 900 if I do well I think.
  • Options
    It was 13.55 miles on Tuesday and 13.71 miles last night making my 
    YTD = 2216.01 miles
    Guess I am going to fall about 30 mile short of 3000 miles by the end of year. (must try harder- just kidding)
  • Options
    Tuesday - 2 miles - 1 mile warm up and 1 mile sprint reps

Friday - Easy 10k

September - 62.30

2017 - 644.65
  • Options
    A gentle but hilly....very bloody hilly 5k while the boys were fishing this afternoon. 

September - 65.45

2017 - 647.80
  • Options
    Tapering for next Sunday and the York marathon so a light week - 9 threadmill miles and the park run.  YTD: 742.3

Sept: 121.9!!

Slight worry today when I slipped during the park run - ankle sore. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Donnie2,
    Don't cross your fingers when you slip -(joke)
    10.19 miles including Parkrun making
    YTD = 2226.20 miles.
    LSR as tapering tomorrow for a marathon on Tuesday
  • Options
    Busy weekend with all three kids playing football and rugby ...... and all three on the winning team (saves any arguing!!!!). Went out at tea time for 10.8 very muddy, wet and hilly miles with a much faster friend. Lots of strava trophies! 

October - 10.8

2017 - 658.60
  • Options
    16.95 miles LSR
    YTD = 2243.15 miles
  • Options
    Morning all,

So an easy week for me last week as getting ready for my next marathon tomorrow at Hillingdon Cycle Circuit, I am running one day of a three day event held by running miles.
    Just Run, Looks like you have had a busy few days, glad you enjoyed the mud yesterday, what a foul day weather wise (well here in the south east at least)
    Harmander, I am sure you could find time for an extra 30 miles if needed to get to 3000, great running. Good luck for tomorrow's marathon.
    Donnie2, Good luck for Sunday, look forward to the report.

Stat's for last week.

26.09.17 - 10
    28.09.17 - 4.37

YTD = 912.31

& finally good luck to everyone else who is running over the coming few days, as I know there are a number of events taking place.

• Options

Hope everyone's events have gone well this weekend

That's Cardiff Half done for another year for me, All week we had weather forecast looking like it was going to be horrific with weather warnings for flooding & gale force winds...on the day, perfect. 15 degrees & slightly overcast with no wind. Atmosphere was fantastic as usual with crowds lining pretty much all of the route. 25,000 people had entered so finding a space in the pen was a challenge. I set myself to beat my PB of last year but I think I set off to fast (as always) so by mile 10 legs were complaining so just had to slog it out for the last 3 miles & as these include a couple of sneaky hills I suffered ended up 3 minutes slower but I'm happy with1hr 39min 24sec.

938 miles YTD

• Options
    David Charman,

That is the same marathon I am doing - see you there.
    I will be plodding along at about 5 hour pace.

Hobie 1495, 
    great going, make the 1000 by end of October.
  • Options
    Harmander,

That's good, yes I will see you there for a fun filled 14 laps I believe.

Hobie 1495, 
    Great run, well done.
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Hi all, been a bit absent from here lately as I haven't been running much. It sounds like Nell is doing another marathon, Harmander is still running every waking minute, and the rest of your are doing well too, which is good to read.

We had our first child in mid June, and running has been mostly curtailed since then. I am starting to get back into it though, and have got out roughly every other day for the last couple of weeks, including running my local 10k event yesterday. I was very surprised to come in at 42:28, over 3 mins faster than last year, given my lack of recent running. I have been doing a fair bit of easy cycling (approx 40 mins/day, Mon-Fri) so maybe that has helped. Either that or I have kept some residual endurance from my marathon training last winter.

Either way, I'm only on 557 miles YTD which means I need to average around 5 miles per day to reach 1000 for the year. This is unlikely, but you never know what will happen! Maybe I can borrow some from Harmander...or I am toying with the idea of trying to run an easy 5k at lunch at work (but no showers...so needs to be very easy) semi-regularly. Planned that today though and didn't happen!
  • Options
    Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Evenin' All!

My apologies for a somewhat extended absence... I've been sulking due to developing an IT band niggle which has manifested as a knee injury :angry:

Some fantastic running still going on by all:
    Congrats on your racing senidM - very nice road HM time from you... all that trail running has obviously given you a lot of inherent strength.
    Great consistency David... best of luck at Hillingdon!
    Andrew - don't stress - think how well you're doing with regular running compared with the injury trials and tribulations you faced last year :smile:
    Fantastic time in your HM Hobie - really well done! I'd love to get somewhere close to that at some stage.
    Well done in Berlin Harmander - I'm sure Fauja Singh's son was grateful for your pacing (and grateful that you took a loo break rather than had a terrible accident on the course!!! :lol:). All the best to you for Hillingdon as well.
    JR - congrats on all the family achievements... rugby and Strava based!!! Running with fast friends can often pay dividends :smile:
    Taper well Donnie, and take care of those ankles - you'll need them for the 26.3 miles! :smiley:

Now - most importantly - welcome back Nick and HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on the new baby that's lovely news... and slightly smaller congrats on the great 10K time - let's say that was residual fitness from Manchester marathon training :wink:

So... I had one full week of resting - the week after pacing - to try to improve the keen/IT band, giving zero miles to add. Then I tried an easy run home after Pilates on Monday: 3.53 miles - the running was great, I felt really good after a week's rest, but the knee hurt again afterwards. Rested again for the remainder of the week and ran on Sunday - 6.65 miles at 9 min/mi. All seems to be better now... but, sadly, Chester will be a DNS on the advice of one of the coaches at the club. I'm gutted but it's the sensible option :neutral: I do plan to do Manchester HM the following weekend though (15th Oct.)... less far to run if the knee plays up again!

YTD: 897.00 miles (was hoping to be a lot closer to the 1K by now)

• Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Thanks Nell - I suppose I should look at the positives and accept that I am doing better than last year (approx. 50 miles better off that at this point last year, and last year October was a write off, so hopefully I can extend that) and just hope to keep building for next year.

Sorry to hear about your ITB issues - they can be a real pain to get rid of, so take it easy.

664 YTD

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Nell - really sorry to hear of your ITB problems - hopefully it is only a short term thing. PS I think I must have some residual fitness from the Manchester training - I have been cycling to the train station and back (about 7.5 miles total) Mon-Fri pretty much every day since the start of June as well which probably helps - I previously used to only do it once or twice a week.

Andrew - sounds like you're in a lot better place than last year. How is your back today? I remember it was bothering you a while ago as well, did it heal in the mean time?
  • Options
    Hi dee hi campers!

Thanks for the commiserations guys - I think things are improving. Ran at lunchtime today... it was supposed to be something slow-ish but ended up more like a steady pace - felt good though. Was also intending to go to the Tuesday track session as well but was stuck in traffic so it took twice as long as normal to get home and I was too late to get there on time, which means only 5.07 miles today (at just under 8:30/mi. with the sixth mile at 7:47/mi.).

YTD: 902.07 miles (through 900 at last - phew!)

• Options
    Little Nell, good news your niggles are going away it seems.
    Was a real pleasure meeting David Charman at the Hillingdon marathon today - David done well.
    I was planning to do about 5 hours but met a friend (Jagjit Singh) who was doing his second marathon in two days and was trying to save himself for another one tomorrow - and you guys think I am mad lol.
    Ran at Jagjits pace for the first half (2:47:55) and with his permission tried (and succeeded) to break 5:30  by doing the second half in 2:40:20 with a finishing time of 5:28:15 - a negative split of over 7 minutes (this is not remarkable as the first half was so slow).
    Will see how I do at the new Windsor Marathon on Sunday 8 October.
    Oh, I may have a surprise to talk about when i run the first Birmingham International marathon the Sunday after (15 October) - watch this space.
  • Options
    AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Nick - yes, the back injury cleared up in a couple of days luckily. Thanks for remembering!

5 miles last night for me, including three tempo miles in the middle (7:31, 7:28, 7:28).

669 YTD

• Options

Great to hear you're on the mend Nell, I need you to keep me honest, well done on getting past 900.

1st run planned tonight after Cardiff effort, time to dig out the head torch & probably top with arms...looking breezy & chilly tonight.

• Options
    10k this evening while my daughter is at rugby training. Temperature dropped a fair bit here in Devon although still shorts and t-shirt for the run. Ordered myself a new head torch for the winter runs, tonight was probably the last evening I’ll get away with running without one.

October - 17

2017 - 664.8