Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Mick
    a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do  .................. in terms of buying kit!
    Baby sitting is extremely tiring - and a bug zone as well.

Welshpoppy
    by the light of the silvery moon...............

Dave
    well a battling draw may have shaken off your CBA - but 

alehouse
    ouch - pleased you bounced a bit.
    Call that mud :)?  That's a green field round here  -which is why I keep off them.
    An hour plus over that will do something to your legs - not sure what!!

Touched lucky this morning - as I opened the door the weather changed to rain/sleet/snow so I ducked back in and swiftly donned by Goretex jacket - a very good move as it got steadily worse!

4 miles done in 39:28 (9:3m/m) with avHR 131 and a max of 147 as I accelerated to keep pace with friends in a car who chatted to me through the window on their way to the gym.  Of course I called them southern softies but I will admit to turning up my shower setting a notch - and having a toasted crumpet as an extra treat for breakfast afterwards :)

May have to dig my running tights out ................

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Pleased to hear the damage minimal, alehouse - proven, it seems, by 65 mins today !  re the tumble - could be a salient point re the 4 hours on your legs prior to running - I think I'd feel the effects of that, these days .    

TS - ano good run there - pacing by car is a change from your "usual" young ladies  ;)

speaking of young ladies - how is WP?     

tights here too, TS, this morn, as the mojo returned, helped by an appointment with my V65 buddy. We ambled a very steady 7 (including, alehouse, some of the XC sections in Graves Park).  Topics included the game - yes, we were happy enough with a point, esp as the Owls played over an hour with 10 men . . . .    

Dave
  • Options
    Ale: Glad not too much damage after fall!

Torque: Running tights  :)

Dave: Glad to hear mojo returned and had a good buddy chat :)
    That made me smile:-)

I walked 4 miles in very wet weather it was head down and get it done.Tomorrow is looking cold-1!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    I think I prefer snow cover to that mud! You are going to have to give up trying to dive into it.

WP,
    4 miles in the rain, no, on the sofa watching spurs sounds like a much better idea, of course, assuming they win.

TS,
    its winter kit here now for the next 5 months. We have very little snow but the temperature is below freezing at night and around zero during the day., warm for this time of year. No major snow in the forecast so my snowblower can sleep on.

7k for me, cruising the village and the sun actually came out to make it very pleasant.

Mick

• Options
    Dave
    good stuff - nothing like having a meet up to ensure you get out the door.
    7 miles was a good reward with a bit of xcountry thrown in as well - hardcore!

Welshpoppy
    sounded nice out there for you ;)

Mick
    hope Spurs looked better on hour new big screen TV...........

Good news on the sunshine for your run and I suppose you will be glad the snowblower stays in the garage as it will mean you can continue to get outside for a run.

Hard man again today - went out in shorts, base later and tee  on a dry cold morning which changed in 5 minutes to a wet, snowy one on a brisk wind.  Big dry flakes which clung to eyelashes when I turned into the northerly wind.
    Unfortunately legs were not so responsive today so the 4 miles took 39:51 (9:57m/m) with avHR131 and a max of   145 - it was what it was :/

Quite pleased to get back home and of course the snow stopped as I entered the door!!
  • Options
    Mick: I bet the mancave is looking good along with that large tv to watch the football.

Torque: Snow!! you did well in those conditions so well done legs!

4.35 mile walk for me the hilly route out and back and think knee is healing still a pain.I am scared silly to fall again on knee as 2 falls on same part of knee.But think I can try a mile tomorrow but in daylight.

I was so tired yesterday I went to bed for 90 minutes and when tired I make mistakes I burnt a yankee candle jar on dresser and it burnt through the wood to leave a huge circular burn mark:-(
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    snow here as well, TS - afraid to say I was a real softy today, with jacket, tights and over-trousers! In my defence, I needed these to wait at the bus-stop.  Caught the bus up to my son's, as he had a day's leave for his birthday. Coffee & cake with he and his partner fuelled my slushy 3 mile run back!   

good, albeit cautious, news re knee, WP - not so with the dresser damage !!   Hope tomorrow's "tryout" goes well.

Dave
  • Options
    Yes, thought you may have snow, Birch, and perhaps to a lesser extent TS. Just back from my short run: waited until most of the snow had blown through but faced an icy wind and icy drizzle, and some pretty cold puddles. Well dressed but no waterproof socks and no over trousers. Tracksters plus plenty of gear on the top half. Hat and gloves are compulsory on a day like today. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Dave
    nice to see the white stuff being circulated - I don't want to keep it all to myself in future :)
    Good fuelling up measures :)

alehouse
    my house is on the 110m contour line and when I look out west the next thing I see are the tops of the Pennines and from the top of my first hill I can also see clear across the Vale of York so I get the weather from all the nasty directions!!

Anyway suitable leg coverings have been unearthed from their storage drawer ready for future use.  No head covering though - I do hate running with anything on my head - it has to be really tipping down for me to even consider putting up my hood on the jacket, it's normally tucked up inside it.

Welshpoppy
    candles should be banned unless one has no electricity :)

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    alehouse - amongst my son's gifts (not from me) was "sealskinz" waterproof socks!
  • Options
    Waterproof socks were worn this morning (Aldi's finest...very similar to my Sealskinz apart from the price!). And a lot of gear. Another hour banked, mainly off road but on better surfaces except for about a km of slipping and sliding on the river bank on a section that I thought would be alright. 1950 km for the year or thereabouts. Not too long to bring up the 2020 in 2020. 
    A pleasant morning out there and at 4 degrees not as chilly as forecast. No wind, which always helps. A little shopping and then it is sport watching.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Dave: I hope son had a great Birthday sounds like he needs to go to Aldi for those socks Ale has;-) What great fuel for your run....what cake was it?

Torque:I hope you had better conditions today....hang on do you not rest on saturday's?

Ale: Sounds like fun!!

I put back my tryout as -1 and was not wearing skort for walking first in those temps(cant have anything over knee it takes the scab off and not fully scabbed as yet! so walked just under 3 miles whilst collecting some sharon fruit from village shop.I could run on treadmill but I won't:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good kilometrage, alehouse

no headgear for me either, TS, except in very extreme circumstances (or unless sensible hat is donned) . . .

which WP seems to have worn today . . . .    is the sharon fruit for cooking?   Cake was chocolate ganache - very nice . . . .     

back in shorts today - 4c here too, but bright and still, so pleasant loops of local park for 3 miles.  Sport here too, now :)  

Dave
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    No headgear, you must have hair! You would be in trouble here, in summer you would get very burnt and in winter you would get frost bite.

TS,
    No snow here still but it is below freezing and miserable to run in.

7k progressive with the boys followed by coffee and cranberry scones so enjoyable despite the weather. I definitely wore a hat.

Mick
  • Options
    I always have headgear on no matter what time of year and have lots of hair;-)

-3 and icy I am not walking in that so will do some indoor exercise not sure what but 500 calories worth sounds good to me:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    That sounds enjoyable, Mick! Unlike your ice, WP

Damp and cold here for my run. Brought up just under 39 k for the week as I gradually re-build. Must re-build my exercises, also!
  • Options
    That sounds good Ale on the rebuilding.

I opted for 15 mins on exercise bike, 25 mins walk/run on treadmill,resistance bands, walking with nick.Still not 500 cals but it will have to do.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehouse
    well on the way to your target for the year - good going.
    Unfortunately you persuaded me to look at my totals and left me feeling depressed - 845 miles/1360km so far.
    I guess I could turn that into 900 miles/1450km by the year's end  - but not the way my legs felt today:/

Dave
    good sports day watch?  I contented myself with the rugby as I had a lot of things to do on my "rest" day!!

Welshpoppy
    Noooo - ice and sore knees do not go together.
    Sounds like you have a proper gym set up there!

Mick
    never had cranberry scones - I shall have to suggest them to Mrs TS
    Nice way to finish a not so nice run

I got notification of the new Hash trail starting 1.75 miles from home so went off to do it this morning.
    Pleasant all downhill trot to the start and then a very short 2.5 mile off road trail along flooded paths and general shiggy which left me unprepared for the slog back up hill so I will regard that as 6 tough miles :) done!

• Options
    Does indeed sound a tough run,TS! I will put you down for 2021 km in 2021 then. Always good to have a target! Works out at 1255.8 miles or 24.1 per week, thereabouts! Not sure how to apply an age weighting to it!

• Options
    Sounds like you guys are all preparing for winter and of course the opposite for me - ran first time for ages in a singlet. Mainly because I am a bit vain and usually choose a t-shirt as I don't like my old arms!

Ran almost 15 kms yesterday - hot and hilly with the group. I have a very sore hamstring/butt - not sure if my back is out. 

I bar-code scanned at Parkrun on Saturday - maybe have another go next Saturday if my legs are up to it. I see there is still an empty slot on the W70 Owairaka parkrun leader board.

Torque Steer - your hash stuff sounds fun.

Welsh Poppy - don't like the sound of burning stuff in your room - be careful. 

Mick - just couldn't do those freezing temps!

Birch - never heard of those waterproof socks before!

Alehouse - well done on the 2020 in 2020 - good that something has been good about 2020!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Mick; yes, I have hair - my dad was always telling me to "get that bloody hair cut" - now my children suggest, more wryly, that a trim is overdue!!   

nice varied session of exercise, WP  . .

NZC - tough run in the heat, esp with niggles

TS - tough also, perhaps - but I'll wager it was a satisfying session . . .   yes, thanks - enjoyed the sport yesterday and especially today -  Sheffield's other club losing to alehouse's team via a last min winner by the Wednesday fan JV  :p

alehouse/TS - my (injury affected) total is 689 miles - the lowest for many years 

rested today - thought it was prudent, after 6 weeks consecutively building the longer run.  

Dave
  • Options
    alehouse
    real target is to stay fit and fine tune medications - miles will rise hopefully as I try and get HM fit (or fit enough to finish!) by September - which seems a long way away

NZC
    glory hunter :)
    warm weather running eh - sounds nice - but I prefer the cold stuff as long as it's not too wet, which unfortunately we do seem to get now as climate changes start to bite.
    The Hash trails do give everyone a chance to run somewhere different which is a nice change from plodding the same streets and paths.  Hopefully one day we will be able to all meet up again but in the meantime it keeps everyone connected.

Dave
    ah yes - schadenfreude is alive and well in rival supporters :)
    We will have Mick coming along shortly and extolling Spurs demolition of the old enemy Arsenal 

It was dry and cold this morning which was a nice change from wet stuff.  Legs were a bit Bambish after yesterday so I eased round gently and was quite surprised to run the 4 miles in 39:32 ( 9:56m/m) with avHR 131 and a max of 141
  • Options
    Dave
    it may be  a low mileage year but the uptick over the couple of few months must be encouraging towards the new year
  • Options

Dave you wear the sensible hat so well :)

1 mile on treadmill as Mr icy was back again this morning but managed to get out for a walk at 2pm 2 miles but good to get out of house!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Pleasant hour off road this pm. A little chilly but well wrapped up. Probably an easy run tomorrow as that was the third run over 60 minutes in the last 5 days. 

Birch: what TS said. And TS, September does seem a long way off so plenty of time to gradually increase the SLR and MLR in particular.

NZ: would love a little warmth!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS/alehouse - yes indeed, I am encouraged, and doing my best to not rush things - but I haven't forgotten the 16 point plan, which I may ask to see after the turn of the year :)  

kept Monday as my rest day (even though no run yesterday), so a decent one planned tomorrow.    

WP - love the way you "do what you can", when you can't "do what you'd like"  !!   

Dave

ps - found this posted elsewhere - Kevin Sinfield's marathon times in his Rob Burrow/MND 7 marathons in 7 days challenge 

• Options
    Dave
    sub 9m/m for 7 days/7 marathons :)
    I saw him being interviewed and he said he did "a bit of running" !!
    Remarkably consistent as he ran different routes and a superb fund raising effort (£2 million) on behalf of his pal Rob Burrow - and for MND in general.

Not on it this morning despite it being dry and crisp and meandered round the 4 miles in 40:02 - couldn't even raise a sprint to get under 40 at the end :/

HR data all over the place - apparently an avHR of 153 and a max of 161 - I don't think so!! 
  • Options
    Yes, a great achievement from Sinfield! He appears to have lost a couple of stones since his playing days: he was nearly 15 stone but now looks much leaner, which helps. Well done that man!

Not every run is going to be a good one, TS! Some you just have to slog out. 

Just under half an hour here: foul icy cold rain all day, including for my run. Did make a concession to the weather and ran on a section of the banks and nearby that are either tarmac or cinders. 
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    You all seem to be suffering with the weather with WP even on a treadmill!
    NZC,
    You do get use to the cold but not the 20c swings in 24hrs.
    WP,
    What sort of treadmill do you have?
    Dave,
    That is an incredible achievement but it does make you wonder if that is good for you or if it may do some permanent damage.
    TS,
    Yes I did enjoy the win but the game became very repetitive in the second half, not the usual style of a Spurs team.
    I lost confidence in the wrist based HRMs and have switched back to a chest strap and have had no problems since.

A bit nippy this morning -8c but the sun finally came out and made my 7k very pleasant.

Mick
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    time seemed to slip by today, so my intended "decent" run turned out to be just the 3 miles - 6 laps of the 0.5 park path, with increased effort on the shortish uphill bit each time.  Jogged there and back (2 mins each way).   

Dave