Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Apricity... I met that word for the first time very recently. I think it means something to do with unusual winter warmth. Or winter sunshine. Something of that sort.
    Was out with the running club for hill reps earlier this evening. I'm a lot slower than any of them, but with reps it doesn't matter as I just do less. They ran up the first hill four times, I ran up it three. They ran up the second hill three times, I did it twice.
    Intrigued by that list of allergens, Poppy, especially the pears. Many years ago I read that pears and lamb are two things that absolutely no-one is allergic to.
  • Options
    Hill reps, Columba! Well done! They are never easy!

Apricity: The warmth of the sun in winter; that very cold day yet the sun on your back has some warmth. A new favourite word!

Hope the migraine goes as quickly as it came, Mick.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Columba - good you are still doing your not your parkruns. We have to have something to keep us motivated.

We are very lucky to have parkrun back again. Thought I'd report that I did make it in the Queenstown half marathon - 2.13.55 I was very happy to see the end!

Yes I did start out a little fast, they sent the runners off in waves as it is a mostly off-road event so needed to be able to proceed nicely - self monitoring where you start in the start shute. 

I've done this half before and I've started further back before and found myself having to weave around people, so I got a decent start and yes people had to weave around me but it made for easy running.

I was very lucky to get away with it - I kept thinking any moment I would fall apart. 

I had a significant birthday yesterday so I am now in a new age-group, bit sad it was a few days late for the half!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    yes, "apricity" a new word for me - and an excellent one; thanks, alehouse!  

good work on the hills, Columba

NZC - birthday greetings to you - as you say, shame about the timing - but not your time
    - good work !    

just the 3 miles here yesterday - must get out soon today - appears some apricity is available . . .    

Dave
  • Options
    Torque: I saw the extra miles you did and also the lemon drizzle cake......yum I have homemade lemon curd :)

I have never heard of Apricity before!

Columba: Sadly all too true I have 4 weeks to eat a very limited diet then we get to try small amount and see any reaction.I found cooked apples and plums I could tolerate not tried pears as they are a favorite of mine:-( as a veggie can not give advice over Lamb.

NZC Happy Birthday and new age group and what a great race(any race is good to us) lovely well done.
     :) 
    Dave:Can you have some Apricity for me too  enjoy the 3 miles :)

Sadly in my case and looks to see if  dark cloud hangs over my head.I have fallen again same blimming knee re cut old scab and new one and ankle very sore so compression bandage is on.No idea what happened it was Achilles foot either uneven part of track.So run 1.5 miles walk the same amount back.

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    I was following your plan Ale as well:-( for 40 minutes every other day.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    NZC
    "got away with it" indeed :)
    Well done on your time, it was 10m/m pace after all - and your birthday and new age group :)
    Races eh - I can nearly remember them
    The idea of a HM at the moment would fill me with dread - the thought of one next September is bad enough

Columba
    ooohh hill sessions - properly hardcore :) .  Nice  to have some company as well when doing them.  Good stuff.

Mick
    migraine - nasty. Hope is soon clears.  Does the glare from snow bring it on?

alehouse
    yup - we could all do with some apricity in winter. I do find grey days quite depressing - last winter was horrible like that.

Welshpoppy
    what are you doing to yourself girl???  larger amounts of cottonwool are needed :)

Dave
    3 is still okay............

Another massive increase in mileage today - up 50% from yesterday to 3 miles!!
    Percentages look so much better don't they :)?
    Managed to find a bit of rhythm although legs didn't like it too much and my back just stiffened slightly towards the end - but all good.

Dry and crisp after overnight frost which was nice but I was out too early for any apricity - dawn was barely breaking when I finished.  The early start was due to me waking up early and, realising I had not put the wheelie bin out, jumped up and quickly got dressed so I was good to go for a very early start
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edging back to normal service, TS -
    and yes, percentages do look better - 33.3% for me, as I logged 4 today in the early afternoon sun.  

you're due a bit of good luck, W.Poppy - we don't want the dark cloud hanging about !

Dave
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    You do get some challenges thrown at you, but you have proven that it is water off a duck to wonder women.

NZC,
    A new age group, at least you still have new age groups to move into. Around here there seem to stop at 65.

TS,
    My migraines are mild and don't last more than a day. The trigger is low potassium and as I'm aware I haven't had one for years but lately I have been skipping on my replacement drink after my run as it has been cool. Bright sun bothers me during but is not a trigger.

A pleasant 6.5k around the village and home along the story book trail. We have daughter and grandson staying so checking it out for our walk this afternoon. There is still a bit of snow around.

Mick
  • Options
    Mick: Thank you , you are too kind :)
    I hope you can find a treadmill soon and migraine is not too bad and goes away.Do you eat Banana's a great way to get potassium.
    Enjoy the walk with family today/

Torque: That will do it every time I am the same although no wheely bins here just bags.Be careful with anything under foot!

Dave:4 miles  well done things are going well for you and that knee :)

I was in agony with ankle yesterday but after painkillers it eased at bedtime.Although I am aching all over today but hopefully I have not broken anything!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    don't like the sound of "agony", WP - hope it has eased.  

I do like the sound of Mick's "story book trail", though.

3 miles today in the grey mizzle.  

Dave
  • Options
    Ouch, WP! I hope you bounce back soon!

Happy belated birthday, NZC: now to attack those parkrun age category records!

All sounds good, Birch  and Mick, and progress, TS

No apricity here today: far from it. Poured all morning, some of it quite icy when I went to get my papers. Got out early afternoon for 45 minutes or so, starting in mizzle but it actually improved during the run. Very slippy off road in places so may have to avoid a couple of areas, particularly on the river bank, for a while. The paths are becoming quite cut up with so many people at walking during these difficult times. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Welsh Poppy - I feel your pain! I have fallen over so many times I have lost count - you really have to concentrate - nearly did it yesterday in Cornwall Parkrun - tripped, yelled out sh*t and managed to stay on my feet. Then proceeded to tell myself, lift your feet, lift your feet! Lady came past me who must have heard me said are you o'kay, I said that I was fine. When I looked at my splits later I realised I had really backed off in that last km - just to get home without any problems.

Alehouse - yes, hit Cornwall Parkrun yesterday although I knew I shouldn't still too close to the half marathon, had a sore right hamstring - did 29.07 AG 76.47% W70 AG record at Cornwall Park is 27.42 so I have a bit to catch up!

Mick - what is the story book trail - is it history of the area?

Torque Steer - yep I have the wheelie bin job too - usually remember to put them out the night before.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    careful on that mud, alehouse - we don't want the thread tumble-count increasing!

splendid AG at the parkrun, NZC - particularly as soon after the HM

another Sunday 10 miles for me - third one consecutively, and 6 weekly totals now in the 20's.  Still aiming to reach 12 as a longer run by Christmas, then, if all ok, maybe introduce the alehouse 16 point plan?    

Dave
  • Options
    Welshpoppy
    I hope your throbbing ankle has eased a bit by now.
    Your fall reminded me to take care when running through some areas of sodden, mushy leaves this morning - very slippy they were underfoot.

NZC
    well done on another good performance - you were very mild in your language!

Dave
    good progress and building nicely.  Don't do anything daft  :)!

alehouse
    it was nippy yesterday - gritters were out overnight.  You are right about the numbers of folk out walking - there are near traffic jams on some of the more popular paths!

Very misty/foggy out this morning but a bit milder and I upped the mileage percentages again +67% on Friday as I completed 5.1 miles in 50:36  (9:55m/m)  with avHR  131 and a max of 146. 

Felt quite comfortable after a slow start and the dull ache in my back eased off after a couple of miles which encouraged me to push the distance a bit on the probably spurious grounds that it was doing my back some good :)
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    NZC,
    Well done on your parkrun. The story book trail is aimed at young children and has small parts of a child's story about three animals racing up a mountain posted at intervals over a kilometre.  Pictures of animals are pinned to trees throughout the trail. Our two year old got very excited running between the posts. It ends near a toboggan hill and of course we had to climb to the top.

TS,
    Sounds like you are on your way back or at least your back is.

WP,
    I usually eat a banana a day but again a bit lapsed of late.
    Still no sign of treadmills or rowers becoming available soon. This winter could be tough.

7.25k with the boys today, most of the snow has gone so footing was good.
  • Options
    MIck
    good news about the snow and your run - not so good about the running machine

Back is now in front of the rest of my development thanks.

had a WhatsApp message of a new Hash trail starting 11/4 miles away.  Knowing who had laid it I reckoned on it being an easy jaunt around familiar streets - how wrong was I!!
    5.4 miles later I finally finished having been off road for over half of the trail in the ubiquitous shiggy slicked over by fresh drizzle - and then I had the same 11/4 miles to run back home.

so nearly 8 miles completed - some of it at walking/sliding pace over the mud.  Hard work all round :/
  • Options
    Mick: Can you get a second hand one to tide you over till you can get what you want? It maybe better than nothing.Hope you can have your banana a day:-)

Torque: Sounds tough the hash course and a 8 mile run and does not sound fun at all!!

Dave sterling stuff with your double digit run yesterday!! well done you have come so far after knee drama :)

NZC: I am going to have to say that constantly pick your sodding feet up :) I have never fallen before apart from broken foot 3 years ago but two falls in maybe 6-8 weeks!

Yesterday I walked over a mile well it was a hobble.Today 2 miles and walking much better I think I am starting to heal thank goodness.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - that's a good couple of days work!  nice pace over the distance yesterday, and the sliding around within an 8 miler today may have given your legs something to think about
    - they may give you their conclusion later  . . . .    

Mick - I like "the boys" group - similar to my "lads lunch" -"lads" being men in our mid-60's !  (though when we actually will be able to meet for lunch is another matter . . . .   

WP - love your fortitude !   

and thanks, yes, I'm much happier with things than a couple of months ago. Knee still not (and never will be now) 100%, but much, much improved.  Just as well; had call from orthopaedics last week to discuss x-ray - in a nutshell, all it revealed was conditions that are to be expected for my age and running background, and the fact I'd improved so much in the intervening months negated any possibility of a scan (though it was implied this would have been unlikely anyway (current situation etc etc) . . .    but I'm ok with that -
    and I'll try not to do anything daft, TS - I think  I'm becoming more sensible - eg sticking at 10 miles for 3 weeks on a row, rather than increasing too quickly . . .  and rest day today. 

Dave
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    oh, meant to add - TS - probably coincidence, but been taking the Gluco/Chondro  supplement for the last 4 months - ordered new batch today !
  • Options
    Welshpoppy
    that is a good bit of progress to report

Dave
    mmmm..............  I think I arrived at that diagnosis about the time you had the x-ray :)
    It's not the training, it's the recovery from the training that takes the time and you are going the right way about it with a steady progression - and rest days!

I have just been down and back up the 32 steps to my study - the effects of the run this morning are making themselves felt!!

Re the gluco/chronro supplements.  I have had some improvement particularly in the hands, ankles and knees - hips not so much.  Whether it is down to the supplements or just happenschance I don't know but will I continue to take them.
    Hopefully they are helping your knee as well 
  • Options
    last to bed and first to rise :)

Lovely morning here - full moon on one horizon, rising sun on the other and a light white frost everywhere except north facing slopes where a smear of black ice lay in wait on tarmac footpaths for the unwary - fortunately that wasn't me.

Felt surprisingly ok after my exertions yesterday apart from some slightly strained elements around the joints from the mudslides yesterday and managed my 4 miles in 39:14 (9:52m/m) with avHR  136 and a max of 145.

Not quite sure I believe the HR data as the HR graph shows a straight line progression from start to finish irrespective of hills!!
  • Options
    Torque: Was it cold? I find the hR will play up when cold no matter if optical or strap.

I also been taking gluc /chrono for maybe 3 years no idea if it helps but too afraid to stop!

Another 2 mile walk today I was in rush or I may have done a little more.But slept badly last night a bit of a cold developing so I may need a nap;-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    It sounds like your joints are normal for someone of your age, the issue is how to manage them to let you do what you want to do. I have reached the point with my knees that, although they twinge from time to time, they allow me to do what I want.

TS,
    I think I can claim last to bed.

Miserable weather here today and for the rest of the week. Warm, wet and cloudy.
    I got soaked on my "unproductive" 6k this morning around the village. 
    How quickly you forget what it is like living with a two year old and how precious nap time is.

Mick
  • Options
    Mick
    yuck weather for you.
    When does the snow proper normally start for you?  I recall last year you had a very strange winter.

I had only time for a short run out this morning so 2.2 miles done.  probably just as well as my legs felt a bit beat up.

I have since been on three separate Teams meetings each one for 11/2 hours - just finished!
  • Options
    3 mile walk early with the moon for company and the 2 miles at lunchtime longest so far:-) But wiped out so sofa time is needed!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Not sure what is normal anymore. Typically we would have snow on the ground by now. It is snowing right now with some accumulation but by Canadian standards it is nothing. My snowblower sleeps peacefully in the garage.
    If I remember correctly team meetings tend to be extremely boring.

WP,
    Moon light walks, sounds romantic.

I have succumbed to paying over the odds for a Concept2 rowing machine, extremely annoying but it looks like it would be nothing all winter otherwise.
    The secondhand route for a treadmill is difficult due to delivery issues and I want something of a good quality, so probably nothing until spring.

No run today as I am baby sitting and it's snowing.
    Mick
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    at least you got out, TS - unlike here - a bad attack of CNBA, I'm afraid.  

hopefully the inflated price will prove worth it over the winter, Mick . . .    

WP - walking maybe, but 5 miles more in your legs than mine today (see above)  :)    but still sofa time later - my team is on TV - likely to be more disgruntlement !!    

Dave
  • Options
    Hope the mojo is back tomorrow Birch (following the Owls' magnificent win of course!). 

Walking better than nothing, WP! Obviously making progress!

I, also, was wondering about the snow situation, Mick. Forecast for some on the Pennines tomorrow. Hopefully will miss here. 

Nothing significant to report over the last few days apart from around 132k for November. Another 30 minutes or so yesterday at what was supposed to be an easy pace (the pace was, I wasn't). Have been struggling for about six weeks now: wonder how much it is down to working: am doing four four hour mornings where I don't sit down for that period of time. Possibly good cross training! 

Today I was feeling more like it...until a tree root hidden under leaves leapt up and attacked me. It won! Went flying! Good job I had gloves and tracksters and lots of other things on. Jarred left wrist, grazed left knee (and the tracksters) and now have a very tender hip, just about where I had the biopsy. Could have been worse and hopefully not too tender in the morning. 

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Decent result, Birch: a point against the leaders is always good!

Seem to have got away with minimal damage after yesterday's incident and actually ran 65 minutes largely off road, the longest run since October 17th. It was slow, and the photo of the river bank at the end of my road shows you why, not that I stayed on it for long! Detour across a golf course, but don't tell anyone. Have never seen the banks so muddy; cut up by all the current footfall. About 3 degrees and drizzle.