Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Get those Achilles exercises sorted, WP. Twice a day!

A decent week again, Birch. About 43k here following this morning's easy half an hour. Plus fitness suite. Only 14 degrees so back to traksters and long sleeves.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Mick - that is some scar! Hope it all heals up really well. Take it easy!

Alehouse -yes I did do another Parkrun - Cornwall Park this week, but it was a wee bit crazy. Husband is trying to run more, son not feeling well and our dog only lets us all stay together or he either sits down and waits or pulls your arm off trying to catch anyone of us who has taken off.

I started off the back with my son and dog - husband took off, dog not happy, son said that I may as well catch Dad. Did so, but he had stopped to walk. Cornwall Park is a 3 lap course. Son had managed to give the dog to husband who I saw on my last lap, so took the dog off husband as our paths met - he was nearly a lap behind. Had to encourage dog to still keep going to the finish - was surprised to see I was still under 30 mins - not as good as last week but I will take that. Really hurst my calf muscle but managed a slow and painful 16 km run/walk yesterday.

You sound like you are going great Alehouse but it must irk you when someone is pacing and pushing a pram - we have to eat humble pie if we want to keep at this game. Always good to look at the Age-grad afterwards. Bet you wish you could tell him your PBs and that you know more about running than most people.

Welsh Poppy - you've been going great - like me we've got to be careful. It will definitely be a walk day today.
  • Options
    MIck
    a brain transplant is a bit extreme to combat old age  :)
    That is one serious looking piece of surgery - hope it's healing quickly.

WP
    are you on the stairs doing your heel raises and drops?
    Not good having an achilles problem that keeps surfacing when you least need it.

Dave
    good running - your mileage is building up nicely

alehouse
    glad you dropped the buggy pusher  - that was taking posing to the extreme - "look at me, I could run a lot faster but I am pushing a buggy to prove that I can whilst helping you all out" sort of thing.
    Another good mileage week

John
    xcountry = the Devil's work :)
    well done on your achievements.

NZC
    sounds like a relay race but with a dog instead of a baton :)

Lovely time away - hotel and  food really good, weather beautiful, just like last year and almost no night time to speak of!!

Did not run but had several 6+ mile walks on near deserted beaches trying to work off the effects of the night before - failed but at least worked up a hunger and thirst for the next dinner.

I will bore you all with some photos when I can find where I have put 'em!!
  • Options
    ... forgot to say that the sun is peeking through and the Test should be restarting shortly unless they have an early lunch.
    At the current rate of scoring by England it may take only an hour or so to win - or be all out!!
  • Options

Bambrough beach - very crowded!!

Lindisfarne Abbey - after the Vikings left!

Holy Island castle, random dogs, and repurposed boat hull

arty black & white 

all taken on my iphone - surprising amount of detail  captured on that device.

Think you may have had enough by now!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Great pics, TS - not boring !!   Sounds (and looks) like a great break.

Rest day here.  Just back from lunch with pal - both disciplined, so 2 pints of ale each was deemed to be sufficient :)

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great pics, TS! And glad the break was good! I'm concentrating on the Taunton test! 

I enjoyed the doggy tales, NZC!

48 very damp minutes this morning, first half of which were with my M77 neighbour. Short run for him as he is racing on Wednesday. And it was chilly: 13 degrees with a feel like of 10.

Wordle in five; four yesterday.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Great race reports, thank you, just what I needed to keep me motivated.

TS,
    Enjoyed your pics, keep them coming.

Still hoping to start run walking next week assuming doc says it's ok.
    I have my stitches out on the 4th so fingers crossed.

I never was much of an oil painting but I think I have moved into a new category,
       SCARY
    Mick
  • Options
    MIck
    good to see your sense of humour didn't escape through the hole in your head :)

alehouse
    yes I got a bit damp this morning as well but still quite warm - nothing like last week though

Dave
    sounds like a perfect rest day!

I wasn't far out with my timing for the Test duration today.  Despite the 3-0 scoreline NZ were always competitive and should possibly have won at lest one Test - but then along comes Bairstow!!  Prodigious hitting and scoring rates seem to be his norm now.

Back on Wordle in four today - unfortunately my steak is broken as I didn't have my laptop with me - if Mrs TS had seen that going into eh car boot there would have been 'ell to pay!! 
  • Options
    Thanks for kind comments on photos - a few more below.

As I kept telling folk from distant parts of the UK - the weather is not always like this.  Don't think they believed me!

view over Budle Bay towards B'bru

that really is the sky in the UK!

Alnwick Market Hall colonnade -  a study in light and shade - pretentious, moi?  :)
  • Options
    Torque Steer - beautiful pics! Yes, it was like pass the baton but pass the dog - all 3 of us had turns running with him!

Mick - yes, you have retained your sense of humour - take it easy.

More dog walking from me - trying to get my legs right again.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Lovely photo's TS.

I can not do calf raises on stairs as no stairs as in a Bungalow;-) I have a rebok step so use that instead.

Christine:Some great walking and running from you.It is hard with long term niggles/injury.

4 miles yesterday and felt a little easier .Rest day today off to eye hospital to see if the drops have lowered my pressures.

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP
    no stairs - move house :)!
    Hope the trip to the eye hospital was beneficial

NZC
    those dogs take a pounding don't they :)?

go on- you know you want to enter this race

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jun/28/the-barkley-marathons-the-hellish-100-mile-race-with-15-finishers-in-36-years

Well I managed Wordle in two today after only getting one misplaced letter in the first go - must fill in a Lottery ticket!!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    And I thought that I did well with Wordle in three today, TS!

A gentle 39 minutes (20 out, 19 back) took me over the 100 mile target for the month. So far six out of six months this year; I trust that I haven't spoken too soon. 

And no, I have no intention of entering the Barkley marathon!
  • Options
    alehouse
    good going for the month - and for the year so far!

Just add a bit and you will be ready for the Barkley :)
    Like the way two loops are described as the fun run...

Hash last evening was a stroll around the nicer parts of Ripon watching others doing the running followed by my usual 2+ mile this morning which started off in rain but finished in sunshine.

Wordle relapse this morning - only had one letter after 3 goes and just managed to get it in six after a struggle trying to fit in the few remaining letters I had!!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    No rain here...yet, TS! Was that 2+ miles run? 
    Wordle in 5. 

About 40 minutes very easy earlier: left glute a little niggly, hence the easy outing.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Sounds a pleasant evening, TS . . .

Pleasant last evening here too - was the Damflask Relays, which serves as South Yorks Relay championship. Comprises a mostly flat 3.6 mile road circuit around the dam. I say mostly - first couple of miles pretty flat, then a very gruelling half mile climb, followed by equivalent quad destroying descent, and the rest along the flat again to the handover !
    Spectating at the top of the hill was fun, in a sadistic way - more so than the days I used to participate!

Had Mon & yesterday off, back to business today with a hilly six miles - warm, too. 

brings me to 131 for the month, alehouse, with a day to go. 

Dave
  • Options
    alehouse
    niggling glute not good - too much sitting?

No running was involved in either effort :/

Dave
    great mileage for the month - well done. And a short month as well!

You must be nearly ready for the Barkley race...

heh, heh - good spectating spot you found :)  Ideal for offering words of encouragement.
    Were any of the offspring taking part?

usual 2+ mile stroll - met several dog owners out in the warm conditions so some time spent in chatting as well - standing up I hasten to add!!

Everything very green after quite heavy rain yesterday which was welcome as I had just finished putting in the bedding plants for the slugs to feed on!

Wordle in four today

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle in five. 

Sitting now involves sitting on a spiky ball or cushion, TS!

Just over 6k run: need another 30 this afternoon to match Birch, I imagine. Will actually do a little more this evening whilst helping at the first of the 5k series, so can't publish the monthly figure yet! 

Hope that July brings similar, Birch! And August etc etc. 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    alehouse - a 5 this morning closes month out at 136 miles. More than enough - pretty warm (singlet sported) and legs tired, probably due to the run yesterday being in the afternoon.  Same to you re the forthcoming months . . .

TS - yes, excellent vantage point  - N & J in action here (both in respective winning teams)
    J ran first leg (of 4), handed over in 2nd, but with Andrew Heyes to follow, victory fairly certain. N went second (of 3) - pressure on, as she took over from Lauren McNeil (73 min HM) with a big lead to hold!  About 400m to go to the top at this point !   
    Open photo
    Open photo
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    This was posted on club page - must say it amused me -  (this is early on, along the dam wall)   
    Open photo
  • Options
    Dave
    good action shots on a hard hill and great results for the family

In the compare and contrast photos you can just see me behind Ovett  :)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    First of the 5k series seemed to go well with 664 entrants, although only 472 finishers. I imagine a lot will have entered the whole series which is much cheaper than entering 3 of the 4 races. 181 under 20 minutes, although I didn't think it was as quick as usual at the sharp end, with the winner being outside 15 minutes, which is unusual.

June's figures: 182.88/113.64 miles, 2 parkruns.

A run at some point today but cross training in daughter's garden first,  shortly. 

Wordle in three. 
  • Options
    alehouse
    good turn out for a 5K race - although shorter ones seem to attract more participants nowadays.

Great figures for the month - well done.

If you want some more xtraining I have a garden waiting :)

usual 2+ miles this morning - started off again in rain and ended in sunshine again.
    If running I would not have bothered with a rain jacket but walking seems far worse in rain so I was suitably clad - took it off as soon as the rain stopped which inevitably was very shortly after the start!!

Wordle in 5 today - a word more popular in USA?
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Pleased the series began well, alehouse.

TS - any running imminent?  

Kicked off July with 3 miles around the park paths, with 8 x "strideouts" included.

Dave
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Glad the the series has started well Alehouse.Did you race it?

Four miles this morning for me a poor week but such is life,
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP
    that's fine for a "poor" week!

Dave
    strangely I essayed a few lamp post intervals this morning - legs have forgotten how to run!
    Very cautious, very slow - see what the reaction is...

Wordle in four yesterday and five today.

Heard on the news that the Farne Islands off Northumberland have been closed  to visitors because of avian flu outbreak - such a shame But I did note the number of dead seabirds I had seen along the coast when up there.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow is another week, WP - onwards & upwards!

TS - same for you too, hopefully 🙂

Saw the report on BBC re Farne Islands . . .

4 miles around the park paths yesterday, 8 miles around the "industrial loop" this morning.  No double digit run this week, 26 miles total, after 6 weeks in the 30s.

Alehouse & music this afternoon

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Let's hope that there is no reaction to today's cautious run, TS!

Wordle in four yesterday and five today! Also!

WP: didn't race the 5k as too busy with the organisation etc. 

Yesterday saw an easy 10 k, the longest since May; did have to stop a couple of times early on to stretch due to tender hips.

Today: 3.49km, supposedly although I think it was more given it took 26 minutes and even I don't run that slowly! Several people have said that there are Garmin satellite issues at present. Brought up 44k for the week...probably more. 
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    There are satelite issues and would make sense my run was not as slow as they said and more than likely longer like yours Alehouse.

Dave: Nice running

TS Hope no reaction to your run today.

No run today too tired and RHR elevated and Achilles stiff.

Wordle in four yesterday and six today...phew
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression