Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Thought that I had posted over the weekend...but obviously didn't!

Hope that you are not too down about parkrun! There's always next week, and the week after! Looked up Millwater to see if any of my friends had done it! Turns out to be a small world!
    1. NZC (New Zealand Christine), our virtual friend, has done. Your age group!
    2. One of my friends from Yorkshire, now living in Auckland, has done. He is now on 596 parkruns! Used to post on the forums as parkrunfan or something similar. 
    3. A friend who now lives on the south island of NZ, also from Yorkshire, holds the L30 record. She is also a serial parkrunner with over 400 to her name. Is often first finisher, not just first female!

Just over 40 k last week and a decent start to this week with just under an hour with my M77 neighbour. 23 degrees at the end, which is warm for here. 29 forecast for this pm. 

No doubt JB will be in to tell us that his calf survived the 10k (on the back of a decent parkrun on Saturday). 1st place in age group on a long course but no prizes. (Taken from another thread! Well done JB! I am nowhere near your times at present but should be!). I am keeping the flag flying by working tomorrow!

Wordle in 3 after a couple of 4s and 5s.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Dave: Some great running and lounging at weekend :) well done on suit trousers fitting you better job well done.

Ale Glad you could get run done early as far too warm.

Race yesterday and I actually made it! But sadly 30 degrees at 9am race is 10am I sat in shade.Did not do warm up but did my stretching exercises.Sorely tempted to go home but did not. adjust target to just make it around I just don't do heat.Head down and just clip the miles off By mile 2 we climb and continue to climb until Mile 5 I just slowed it down no way I would walk(lots of people did).Try to stay in shade and drink at water stations.It was just cups and only a 1/3 full by last station I drank 2 cups and poured one over me to cool me down.
    Very supportive local's and marshall's cheering us on with tamberines etc
    I was glad to cross the line as had feeling sick and shivery from mile 3.
    Came home went to bed for 2 hours and slowly came around and could eat and drink.

Positives
    Achilles behaved
    Completed race

Negatives
    Too warm with clothing

Things I could do better

Eat before race
    Try hydro flow tablets in water

Rest day today as up late and was already 28 degrees at 8am.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Ale, you cheeky devil! You've stolen my thunder. But I did want to report that the 10k was shambolic both in terms of race day organisation (I won't bore you with the details) and the results which at first completely ommitted me and then gave me a time nearly 2 minutes slower than I ran. Life is too short to keep on the case and I won my age cat so it doesn't really matter.
    So, a bit of a sense of humour outage here!

WP well done. Absolutely no shade on our course and things not helped by a 20 delay at the start while we all cooked from the inside.
  • Options
    NZD
    don't be discouraged by the younger ones!

I was doing my usual saunter around on Sunday morning, already 23C, when I came upon the junior parkrun taking place.  I recognised two of the front runners an gave them a cheer as they went past.
    Checked the results - the older boy 11-14 completed the 2K in 7:38 (second) and his younger sister JW10 finished  in 8:10  - first female finisher:) !!!
    There was a field of 144 all under 14.

Dave
    the mileage you have been getting under your tightening belt has had a great deal to do with the weight loss I believe.  
    30 mile weeks equals 4500 calories for us big blokes :)

JB
    hope your calf did not stop you!
    A Copson has been slowly eroding the world and UK records set by Ceal, formerly of this parish.

alehouse
    you did well to avoid the ultra warmth and a good start as well to this week to back up last week's total.
    Looks like the rest of the week could be warmish......

WP
    well done on surviving what sounded like a very hard course and very high temperatures - tough all round for you.

It was hot yesterday afternoon - shade was required and fortunately my son had erected an awning for the BBQ  we were invited to and some cool stuff was available too :)
    Walked home at 2200 and it was still pleasantly warm and daylight!!

Out early to go back and pick up car before it got too hot - work day today :/

Wordle in four this morning - tricky fit with only one letter in the right place and one floating after three.

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    You were wise to take it easy. We get these temperatures every year and you have to be careful in the first couple of races. You do adjust but it takes a couple of weeks. I have seen experienced racers collapse and require medical treatment in some early season races.

Alehouse,
    Do all of your friends emigrate? Is it the rain that washes them away.

TS,
    Like the sound of the evening stroll home.

JB,
    Very annoying but you know what you did and that is what counts.

First recovery effort after my lesion removal. A 2k walk with the dog then a 2.5k run walk. It was warm but cloudy so I didn't overheat. Calves felt tight and hr was a bit high but I'm on my way back.

Mick
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    John: Sorry to hear you had a similar day with heat.I would suggest a cooler September 10k to target?BUT well done on age win!!

I forgot to say I am 14lb heavier and having just seen the finish line photo I look it but I am not wearing a skort for races ever again I look like a hippo! My time was 14 mins slower than my time in 2019.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    While you guys are having hot running we have wild weather outside today - rain and wind, feel like the trees are going to come down on us. Don't think I will be running or walking this morning.

I've been still trying to do a long run this Sunday 22 kms and last Sunday 26 kms, but very difficult when I mainly just walk 5 kms the other days.

Good to see another Millwater Parkrunner on here. I haven't done that one so much - bit further away from where I live but my sister's house is just about on the course.

Torque Steer - we don't have 2 km for kids here, if they run or walk it is 5 km same as everyone. It is the people pushing prams that come past me that I find hard to take. Especially double prams!

Welsh Poppy - 10 kms are hard, especially in the heat.

Mick - good to see you on the come back trail.

Alehouse - that is some M77 that you are doing your long runs with.
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    As NZC mentioned, quite stormy here this morning (yeah, chickened out on my planned training run!).  Mild though (15 - 16 deg C @ 9am mid-winter).  Has now abated and looking at the rain radar, seems it may be mostly over (at least for the next few hours!).  Forecast was for this to last well into tomorrow. so we probably haven't seen the end of it.

Alehouse: yes, small world indeed.  My father's paternal grandad & family is (was?) ex. Yorkshire (Rotherham - Sheffield area), though that was almost 190 years ago now.  Still a few with the surname in the area but back then the name seemed more common.  Either emigrated or not enough male heirs?!

JB: Very impressive 10k run, despite the calf worries and event organisers.

TS: very pleasant late evening stroll.  Despite being closer to the tropics, evenings like that aren't common here, even in summer.  Temperature often drops quite quickly after sundown :(. As NZC said, the parkruns are all ages here, so the J10's etc are running along with the adults (or in my case, often in front of!).  Seems it may not be long before my J6 granddaughter is outpacing me as well.

Mick: Good to hear all well so far on the recovery front.

Dave: impressive mileage that you are putting in.  I already struggle to find time to put in about half that amount.  
  • Options
    John
    you must have slipped in as | was typing yesterday!
    Well done on your AG victory - but the organisation did sound horrific - frying on the line for 20 min as everyone heats up and adds to the discomfort is not a good experience.

WP
    I haven't had a good race photo - ever :)
    Hope you are recovered now.

alehouse
    Mick made a very good, and funny, comment - do all your friends move to the other side of the world?

Mick
    hope you had your cap on for the comeback :)
    Good to see you back out there and, as always, it seems as though one's legs have forgotten how to run despite having being doing it for numerous years previously.

NZC
    that does sound wild outside as you get your winter weather blowing in.

The kids parkrun is in addition to the 5K which they can also enter - and many do running as a part of a family group or leaving their parents behind.

I realised I was officially old when I got passed by a woman with a double buggy and a dog on a lead :/

Is there a marathon on the horizon with you trying to fit in a long run?

NZD
    hey = posting form two Antipodeans on the same day - good going!

you could be related to Dave - he's from Sheffield - alehouse is from the other side of our world in Manchester.  Me, I am an émigré Geordie, now living in the deep south in N Yorkshire :)

Probably not the right time to post it but it was a very unusual weekend sportswise with all the four "Home" Nations winning away rugby matches against  southern Hemisphere opposition - first time it has happened.

Gave me a lot of sport to watch over the weekend.

Very warm and humid here overnight but cloud cover this morning has given it a chance to cool down and get the house ventilated - feels quite pleasant now, just as well as I have lots to do workwise.

Wordle in three today.

I felt I should have protested on yesterday's Wordle.  I use "midas"  as my letter problem breaker and it wasn't allowed as a word!!
    King Midas, midas touch - what sort of language is it using :)?

• Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    TS:  Yes, wondered how long it would take for 'that' to come up :smile:!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Busy on here!

nice start to the week, alehouse.

TS - I walked from friend's to tram stop on Sunday evening - 11pm - and like you, very comfortable in shorts/Tshirt . . .   

welcome back to the action, Mick; decent walk/run double for starters !  

NZC - good perseverance with your long runs . .

NZD - yes, Sheffield born & bred - hills in every direction ! 

WP - great to hear you overcame the obstacles to complete your 10K, and even better that achilles behaved.  Hope you're feeling more recovered after the rest day.   

Up early here, drove to flat park to meet "marathon mentee".  30 mins with her, then solo around the paths (this park is much bigger than the local ones I use for 3 or 4 mile trundles). 8 miles done, with 6 x 400m and 1 x 800m "controlled" efforts.   Although 22c, cloud cover meant conditions felt "ok", compared to recent days. Still perspiring profusely when I'd finished, though!   

Dave
  • Options
    NZD
    whoops - sorry :)

Dave
    very good effort this morning despite the warm conditions - like the idea of "controlled" efforts

Must get myself ready for the Hash - pleasant evening now...
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Slowish 12km this morning with hills (EG 256 m).  Longest & most hill work since 2019 Bermuda HM.  Legs likely to let me know about it for a few days.  And still well short of Dave's 8 miles!
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Don't seem to be able to edit that - should read "And still short of Dave's 8 miles!"
    (ever so slight initial mis-conversion kms > miles)!  
  • Options
    NZD
    you can only edit within an hour of the initial post appearing by clicking on the small "wheel" that appears in the top right corner of your post on the screen.

Only just 1/2 mile short of 8 miles so don't beat yourself up :)
    Bermuda HM sounds awful although in mid-summer it could be!! 

I have run on several of the Caribbean islands and early morning as dawn breaks and the sea is rolling in with an onshore breeze is just about perfect - followed by a dip in the sea or pool then breakfast :)!

Perfect night for the Hash - sun shining, light breeze, lovely countryside.
    Should have had more sense when not opting for the short cut back when offered and ended up doing 5+ miles over very hilly countryside :/

However one member had brought his 7 month old son along in a backpack carrier so I couldn't chicken out could I??

Ended up with sausages and chips in big buns and cold beers  :)

Wordle in five today - at least it was in English today!

Great Yorkshire Show on here today - sell out crowds (30K plus) each day, moving across town is not easy!!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    7.5 miles with hills probably trumps my flat 8, NZD!  

Does indeed sound an idyllic Hash, TS (though you possibly weren't having that thought as you covered the distance over challenging terrain)! Still, very encouraging to do so, I'd have thought!  Plus, replenishment of the gods :)   

Met chum this morning - role reversal for the "extra" mile this week; I'd planned 5, chum 6, so we did 5 mile loop, but no lounging with water this time, as I was "encouraged" to add the further mile . . .   pleasant jaunt, though, in the (not too warm) sunshine.

Off for lunch with another chum now (not a liquid one)  :)

Dave
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Blimey this thread is busy!

Dave Well done on your miles seems to have picked the miles up lately.You must like heat! Some nice meals out lately as well you must be feeling lots better?

TS: Nice Hash and fuel afterwards.That is the thing with living near a big show nightmare for locals.

Mick: Great to see you back and hope head is covered.It takes a while after a lay off to get the legs talking again.

NZC:What wild weather you are having from one extreme to another!

NZD: don't think we have met before?

Two rest days as suffering from sunstroke only mildly but enough to still make me feel sick and dehydrated.Give me winters any day of the week.

But today i felt well enough to run so 3.5 miles done this morning before it got to silly temps.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    I hope you are taking an electrolyte replacement drink, it is a must in hot temps for older runners. We lose our ability to keep up with heavy sweating every day.
    Yes wearing a hat now all the stitches are out. It is amazing how well it is knitting together. It is still a bit gross so pics yet.

TS,
    Hasn't Yorkshire discovered air-conditioning yet, but I guess once in a decade is hardly worth it.
    Did you run the whole thing, most impressive.

Another run walk, 4k this time, making progress and the warm weather doesn't help.

I am disappointed to see all the social chaos that seems rampant in the UK at the moment, it reminds me why I left in the late 70s.

Mick
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good progress, Mick!

Well toughed out in the 10k, WP! Was that the Micky Morris race? Met him a few times as a junior. Couldn't believe it when he died in his early 20s.

Well toughed out at the Hash, TS. Not the liquid part!

Going well, Birch, NZD! Your winters still seem mild compared with ours, NZC!

Didn't quite get the run I wanted. Set off with 60 to 75 minutes in mind, which would have been a LSR for me. Unfortunately about 4k in it all went wrong!

Why: I blame the sun! Running directly into the sun I didn't see a low hanging branch and ran straight into it! Bad graze to the collar bone area where I hit the branch; bruised hip from the hard ground on which I landed! Anyway, could have been worse! 8.1k logged. May be a little tender tomorrow!

Wordle in six, despite having the last four letters in three. Could have been worse!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    Ouch but you have earned a new handle for your posts,

" It could have been worse."
    Mick
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Alehouse: :(.  Crazy that branches at chest & even worse, head height are allowed to overhang walking tracks & paths.  Quite dangerous.  Have encountered a couple in the past but fortunate to get off fairly lightly.  

Not too surprising winters in Auckland are milder (alas, and wetter!) than in Manchester.  Overnight low here drops below +5C only about 6 times a year on average (ex. 
    my weather station ).  Possibly less frequently in many parts of the city (house surrounded by tall trees so cold air tends to pool around the house).  Almost 17 deg latitude closer to the tropics - roughly the same as Seville in Spain.  Very different climate though!

TS: Not certain how you manage
     5+ miles after sausages, chips, big buns, and cold beers.  I try to avoid running less than 2 - 3 hours after eating more than a light snack.  Only recently, after a bit more reading on the topic, started having half a banana + yoghurt an hour or so before morning runs.  

Dave:  I somewhat messed up the conversion.  For some reason calculated your distance as 10 miles x 1.6 km/mile & by the time the error dawned on me it was too late to edit the post. 

Mick: Glad to hear you are still making good progress.

WP:  I think there may have been some overlap when I was posting three years or so ago but I may be mistaken as I continued scanning the thread for about a year after I stopped posting due to work and family commitments.  

Moderate paced, reasonably flat 8 km this morning (EG 39 m).  My 'usual' running patch - loop path around an estuary.  Includes the local parkrun course.  Aiming for a rest day tomorrow though.
  • Options
    WP
    take it easy!

Mick is right about the replacement drinks immediately after a run like that.
    I used to make my own - 1/3 orange juice, 2/3 water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon of sugar often consumed with honey on toast :)
    Long time since I have needed them :/

Mick
    pleased that you are back on the comeback trail - just gan canny!

Re social chaos - the fish rots from the head - at least we have got rid of the rotten head!!
    I just think it's a perfect storm of events at the moment - global events having an immediate impact upon individuals lives and no way of immediately lessening the economic pain.

It's not quite 3 day week time and there is virtual full employment so wages are bound to rise long term.  Interesting that those firms that sacked/laid off workers very quickly at the start of the pandemic are those who are finding it difficult to recruit now - airlines, airports etc.

alehoue
    double ouch!!
    I know what you mean about low angle sun - Tuesday night was a perfect example, it being difficult to see anything looking straight into the sun and then plunging into the shade of trees it all went dark!

You did well to complete the 8K

Sweaty palms time when there are so many possible combinations on the letters you already have.

Dave
    tables turned on you :)
    I trust some liquid came with lunch?

NZD
    sounded a nice run for your 8K - and added to your knowledge of the parkrun course!

The food and drink came at the end, not before, the Hash!!

I certainly didn't run all the distance - I cunningly spent quite some time talking to the 7 month old - didn't get much out of him but it meant I could have a walk from time to time :)
    Actually it was quite a notable event as we had both sets of grand parents and both parents plus baby and dog so it was a multi generational outing.

I had managed my usual 2+ miles yesterday and this morning was sufficiently emboldened to try a brief 4 min walk/1 min run for 2.5 miles - knee okish, abs not quite so good.

Wordle in 3 this morning

• Options
    ... anyone watching the Tour de France?
    Cracking race stage yesterday and surprising to see the previously imperious Pogacar buckle under the relentless pressure on that brutal stage
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Not got into the TdF yet this year, and nor was I into much running this morning, despite the perfect conditions at just 16. Cut the run short as hip and shoulder too sore. Will cut out the planned gardening at my daughter's as well.
    Helping at 5k race 2 this evening.

Wordle in two!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    WP - good one, getting out yesterday . . .

alehouse - ooff!   probably wise to abandon today . . .

positive outings, one way or another, Mick, TS, NZD . . .

no TDF here, TS - I seem to have lost interest in recent years.   Liquid with lunch was limited to sparkling water & coffee :)    

3.5 miles around local parks today.  Legs complaining; I almost kept my powder dry for another day, but persevered & was happy enough to record that distance in the end.  Finished with 8 x "strideouts".

Dave
  • Options
    alehouse
    wise move on the gardening - it always seems to make matters worse!

Well done on Wordle - you must have made the right choice of starter

Dave
    excellent abstinence at lunchtime :)
    ..... and a good leg turnover as well complete with strides.

just finished watching the TdeF as a new Yorkshire star was born - Tom Pidcock, at 22, the youngest ever Stage winner,  on the classic stage up the Alpe d'Huez and all nineteen hairpin climbs in great style.
    Not bad for someone who was winning the World XCountry mountain biking earlier in the year on top of his Olympic Gold the year before  :)

Also wonderful to see Chris Froome finish third after that horrific, and nearly career ending, crash he had a couple of years ago.

At one stage, bearing in mind Froome's crash, they were descending the steepest downhill  together at 105km/hour!!!

Worth watching the highlights tonight if you get a chance
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Thanks, TS - highlights set to record!
    Actually, my lunch companion yesterday mentioned Tom P . . .
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Blimey talk about fast moving thread at the moment.

Mick: As of yesterday I am talking SIS hydro tablet in my water post runs and seems to help ,Thanks for the nudge

Ale: I have done the Mick Morris race but no Sunday was Ammanford 10k as local to  me.
    Hope hip is easier to deal with and good call on binning run and gardening.

TS: Thanks for the drink recipe I shall make that.I love TDF and what a stage yesterday was super impressed.

Not seen today as yet so look forward to the highlights.pleased for Chris especially after life threatening crash, dumped by sky  and taking in by new team.

Well done Dave,NZD and Mick on some great running.

NZD: i thought name sounded familiar but was not sure.

3.5 miles yesterday and 4.5 miles today slowly building back up again.10k on 31st!!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP

it's cos I cant run fast - or even run :)

good to see you back out and steady does it.

Cool and ever so slightly showery this morning - felt rather nice after all the hotter weather.

Did another 2.5 miles of the 4:1 walk/run with "run" being an optimistic expression in this context!

Wordle in three which was a big leap after only two right letters in the wrong place on two
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Only 15 degrees here at present... with 25 forecast tomorrow and 35 next Tuesday!

Pleasant enough 28 minutes easy run. Would have been 30 but bumped into my M77 on the way back from his allotment and discussed last night's 5k. He ran, I helped. 

Was planning to run a parkrun hard tomorrow but I think that the sore hip from my tumble may mean it is