Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited March 27
    Indeed, hope that there is nothing ominous re a marginal change in HR, NZD. And yes, these injections are not cheap. Hopefully worth paying for if I can get my hobby back!

Physio tomorrow and hope he gives me more exercises, and a wider variety!

Managed a little cross training in the garden but am constantly aware that that is a dangerous pursuit!

Concerned about my weight: 6lbs on in less than 5 weeks...

Wordle in four. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hope the injections are worth it, alehouse - we may try and put a brave face on these things, but its not nice to be sidelined for an extended period. We can all empathise.  

Good estuary jaunt, NZD, sure the HR is not too concerning - as you say, fractional. 

Weather gods slightly capricious today. Set off to run to speed group location in sunshine and, I perceived, mild temps, but when the location (3 miles) was reached, skies were grey and temperature seemed to have dropped!  Anyway, all was well and the session completed. 9 strong group. 3x400m to start, then a special treat for everyone, as I'm away from next Tuesday and will miss three sessions.  We use this bowl sometimes - it is approx 630m, with the up, down and flat, as can be seen. Today I set a 3lap continual segment (Kenyan hill style, as it were), so around 1900m.  Then 3x400m to finish .
    8.5 miles for me , with the run there and warmup/down at the session. 
    All nine retired to the cafe afterwards - Americano & almond slice for me !  
    Don Valley Bowl  Between the arena and the English Institut
     Dave

• Options
    alehouse
    hope the injections are a success - they do appear to be moving into more mainstream treatment after conservative treatments have not succeeded.

Watch that gardening!!

I know all about that weight gain :/  

NZD
    fingers crossed no infection - your slight HR increase is so slight as not to be symptomatic of it striking - I hope!

Dave
    looks ideal :) - but I'm sue it wasn't!!
    Great session though - envious.

Is that an upcoming holiday I spy?

Yes Hash went ok - managed 3 miles at a jaunty pace, or rather a jaundiced pace, but well refreshed afterwards

Wordle in four 
  • Options
    strange....

came on and got a continuous flashing "Cookies Policy" page which I couldn't get rid of as I couldn't scroll down it to the accept/decline buttons.

Eventually got rid of it by repeatedly pressing the Esc button on my laptop - IT genius :)

Refreshment seemed to have helped - 2.5 miles early this am in 29:44 (1152m/m) with HR 126/139 so managed to keep a >140 off the scale.

Started in heavy rain, finished in sunshine - now what was Dave saying about the weather?!

Did like his refueling yesterday though :)

Daren't go anywhere near that a I am now officially the heaviest I have ever been, and have been so for over a week - no Easter eggs for me :/

Wordle in two!!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    And I was pleased with Wordle in three...

Hope that you can be consistent at around that time and distance, TS. And hopefully a little weight will shift! Don't know how I will drop mine given that I am burning very little!

Will be real eggs for me, not chocolate! I gave that up for Lent in 2000 and kept it going. Really can't stand the smell now! 

Physio this pm.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Real eggs for my lunch today, alehouse

Good brace of outings, TS - as alehouse says, here's hoping you can maintain
    consistency . . . 

A real tinman outing today; legs seemed more bashed than usual after yesterday. Last evening's refreshment perhaps didn't help matters either. 3 miles painfully trudged, with a smattering of "stretch stops". At least the weather was dry and fresh - cobwebs blown away, so at least some benefit to the jaunt!  

Wordle in three yesterday

Dave
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    No Easter eggs for me either.

8 mile run yesterday and I could have 45g of festive 🎂  it was a tiny portion.

We had 5 inches of snow over night!! So a short run on the snow. But Rhr is elevated so kept it easy.
    All gone as we had lashing of rain this afternoon. I  remember  year my sister was born 1968 midwife could not get through as very  deep and this was 3rd April. 
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Well done, WP - good 8.  Snow???!!!!   

Rest taken here - right knee is quite sore . . . .   

Wordle in two - but helped by a strong clue from OH :) 

Dave
  • Options
    alehouse
    hope your physio got the elbow right in  :)
    Is there  andany bruising around the tear to come out?

In truth I eat very little chocolate and  what I do eat is normally 90% cocoa so it's healthy - goes well with red wine or a good rum :)

Dave
    not surprised about the tin legs after your previous day's excursions/exertions!
    The refreshments were just to build up carbs...  :)

WP
    5" of snow was quite a dump!

Yup I can recall having birthdays as a nipper when there was lots of snow on the ground

Hope the cake was good!

I was awoken at an unearthly hour by a blackbird singing away - it was bright sunlight at 0540 - so I made the most of it and slipped out to repeat yesterday's effort.
    Realised after gettin ghalfway up th efirst hill that I had not put the refuse bin out so had to run back, get it out and then resume so it became 2.71 miles in 32:01 (11:52m/m) with HR 130/141 - the extra hill stretch just pushing the HR up a tad bu the pace was comparable.

Chilly in the bright sun but nice to feel it on one's back - of course it rained shortly after I got back

Wordle in four today
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good Hill work,  TS!

Physio certainly didn't get his elbow in! Mainly looking at range of movement and he was pleased with the improvement over the past two weeks.  More stretches to do. Gradually build up the number or increase the difficulty by using a stronger theraband. Also to introduce the exercise bike for a couple of minutes a day.
    No bruising at all although there will be after the injections. 
    Am to get rid of the crutch over the next week but I am finding one crutch is being a bit of a comfort blanket; doesn't help my walking style and is causing a problem with the other hamstring. 

As for The Foxes...

Wordle in five.

• Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Sounds positive Ale.  Definitely good to get rid of the crutch. Can cause problems in areas other than just the legs. In my case (many years ago) my neck 'locked up' - resolved quickly after abandoning the crutches on the advice of a physio.  Was quite adamant about what was causing the neck problem.
    Good outing TS  - back to near 3 miles at sub-12 m/m will be comforting.  Now to work on HR (and weight! Yeah, me too :().
    Dave: Watch the knee.  Shorter, easier runs for a few more days?
    WP: 45g festive treat well earned! 

So far so good on the covid front (touch wood, touch wood, ...).  Patient seems to be on the improve, likely thanks in part to the Paxlovid and six prior vax shots.  I tested negative on Thur, as did son & MIL and none of us have had any symptoms so far.  Seem to be clear of infection prior to OH testing positive and isolating.  I'm still a bit at risk due to ongoing (N95 masked) contact delivering food and drinks etc 4 - 5x a day.  Less so since yesterday though as it is all non-contact delivery now patient is feeling a bit better!

Parkrun a bit of a struggle this week despite good conditions, if somewhat chilly (~7C, possibly less?) at the start.  Unfortunately, cold air pools in the estuary basin during clear, still nights.  About 4C cooler than it was at home beforehand.  Warmed up quickly though. Only made 25:15, so 13 secs down on a fortnight ago.  Perhaps age taking its toll ... :(.  Not looking positive for getting back to the 24:01 territory of my first M75+ effort a bit over a year ago.  Not quite ready to admit defeat yet though.  First need to shed ~3 kg weight to get back to my previous weight ... so far, not so good!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Good work beating the rain, TS (with the u-turn for bin, too)!   

Any idea of length of time to heal, alehouse?  

Decent effort, I'd say, NZD.

Need to shed a bit of lard here, too - a few pounds have crept back over recent months.
    Decided to start road efforts today, but with attention paid to knee. As it turned out, managed to accomplish the run, including all usual segments.  Knee sore again now.
    I'm away from 2nd (Tues) to 19th, NZD, so that period will be ideal for a few shorter easier outings.

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your break, Birch

Re running again, anyone's guess. By September would be good, said one consultant; the other said unlikely before Christmas. It is what it is. 

Hope to hear no COVID news, NZD!

TS is currently recovering from the shock of the Newcastle match!

Wordle in five. 
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Nzd I missed Mrs  has covid hope she recovers well from it.

Dave where are you going somewhere hot?

Intervals yesterday which I mostly nailed at the park.

Today long run so twelve miles done.It is still hard work and Achilles stabbing g pain for most of run.

Wordle in Three.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited March 30
    alehouse
    wot match  :):):):)?

At least the Foxes were accompanie dby most of the others dropping points

I would caution against throwing the crutch away too soon
    Is it one of those that use the lower arm and a hand hold? If so, they can be very useful for providing stability when suddenly required and preventing further damage, as Mrs TS can testify.

I guess tendons don't bleed much when torn unlike soft tissue but unfortunately that lack of blood supply delays recovery.

NZD
    still a decent outing after a disturbed week and nursing duties.

Looks like we all need to follow WP's lead in weight reduction although mine is super critical and in the 10K range!!

Dave
    watch that knee!!
    Are you off somewhere warm?

WP
    you are quietly putting us all to shame with your runs and I am not surprised the 12 miles was hard work after intervals!

Spent yesterday cleaning windows internally which entailed a lot of  window climbing up and down which didn't enhance my knee prospects at all - that's the trouble with sunshine - it shows up all the muck on the interior of windows.

ANyway NRD to day but gardening duties - more lawn cutting in sunshine which was a nice change!

Wordle in three 
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Dave: Enjoy the break.  Hopefully knee will get a chance to recover.
    WP: Take care with your Achilles.  Not something to play dice with, especially with your upcoming HM.
    Ale: It will be a long, frustrating wait but full marks for attitude. If that what it takes to recover, then the better that than ending up with worse, or permanent damage.
    TS: Yup, 10 kg is a lot to shed.  Hardest part is to get the ball rolling, made harder by your injuries. 

Double estuary loop as an intended LSR this morning.  Ended closer to a progression run.  Total 16.3 km @ 6:06 (100 mins).  No attempt to match WP's long run this week! Sluggish first 11 km but after coming off the 'big' hill the second time, had loosened up a lot.  By
    12 km my pace had quietly lifted and I was running comfortably at 5:40.  Last 4.3 km completed at ~5:48 ave.  First 12 @ 6:12.  A bit tough towards the end but had decided by then to see out the rest at the faster pace.  Big hill aside, max HR was 132 through to 10.5 km, rising to 145 max at the end.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Cracking double digit outing, NZD.

Commendable indoor/outdoor workouts, TS!  

Super 2 day double, WP - but as others say - watch that achilles . . . 

Let's hope its an Autumn return, alehouse . . . 

Taking my own advice (for once), and giving my knee a rest today, as it was troubling me in the night. Had intended runs today and tomorrow before flying off to the Canary Islands on Tues, but I'll exercise caution. Probably signs that legs need an easy couple of weeks, so in that regard the niggle is well-timed. 

Probably won't post much whilst away (I mostly use laptop at home rather than phone), so have good fortnight all !!!     

Dave
  • Options
    NZD
    great outing and a nice way to finish with upping and maintaining pace -that extra effort certainly helps with aerobic efficiency.

Dave
    Mr Sensible hat for you  :)

aahh Canary Islands where I was first introduced to pasteis de nata some years ago by a lovely little waitress at our hotel - I swear she brought out a freshly baked batch in a wicker basket every time she saw me at breakfast - probably started my weight gain!!

enjoy!!

I realised this morning that I had become afraid of the fear of injury and my runs had become circumscribed  by routes that never had me more than 0.5 miles from home so this morning I broke free and ventured onto one of my old loops that pushed out that boundary to a whole 1.5 miles distance!

so 3.2 miles done in 37:25 (11:50  m/m with HR 130/140.
    However it also increased climbing to 105m in total so overall it was satisfactory - until I noticed on Garmin that 10 years ago I ran parkrun's 3.2 miles in 22:22 -so that's 5m/m slower :'( - and that was after my, then,  fairly recent  spinal surgery!

• Options
    wordle in four 
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Good decision Dave.  Enjoy the holiday.

Very decent result TS.  A hundred and five meters EG in 5km is a *lot* of hill in a short space.  Puts a different perspective on your HR stats.  Can't compare that with a parkrun race 10 years ago.  Apart from age difference and race vs recovery training, I'd venture to guess the parkrun course in question had much less than 105 m elevation gain.   
  • Options
    NZD
    Parkrun course - 3 laps, 9m rise and fall to reach lap :), - but 70% was on grass/trail but still a pretty fast course for this my local parkrun.

I normally try and run one at or near my birthday but I don't think I could face leaving a >30 min record just now!

Well Garmin's suggestion for today chimed with how I felt - 31 min at 13:06 m/m
    I did 2.51 miles in 32 min (12:45 m/m) with HR 123/135.  Got a Good rating from Garmin!

I had spent much of yesterday preparing dinner for 10 people (& 2 dogs!) and then eating aforesaid dinner and drinking a goodly pert of my wine stock so probably not too much advance in the weight loss search!

• Options
    wordle in four again
  • Options
    alehouse

a little happier now :)?

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I think the word is relieved, TS! 

Wordle in five, with three yesterday.  
  • Options
    I have to perform more Hash duties this evening so I am saving my exertions until later

alehouse
    that game in hand could be crucial!

Wordle in four - consistent spell!

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    All we have to do is win every game, TS. Simple.  Enjoy the evening!

Wordle in three.
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    TS: 3 laps x 9m rise doesn't sound a fast course - 22:22 very good indeed, even for 10 years younger. 
  • Options
    NZD
    it looks flat to the eye.
    There are a lot of parkrun tourists who take part in it, as the town is a tourist destination, and they nearly always comment on the course that "it's harder than it looks" - but basically it's a rectangle with two long sides about 600 m long and the rise is up one side and down the other.

I looked back at my Garmin output and I ran it with avHR 150 and a max of 156 on each of the upward sloping bits!

alehouse
    easy, peasy for the Foxes - and then they get deducted points for FFP :/

First Hash in daylight - just - as a combination of off road, lots of mud and lost trails kept us out for an >hour despite only covering 3.5 miles.

I was like Bambi on ice on some of the more glutinous parts for fear of aggravating my knee but survived.

The pub had football on and I found my eye occasionally straying in that direction - very frustrating result :/

In answer to some banter I drew up this team for the Toon

Pope

Trippier Lascelles Botman Livramento

Miley Tonali Joelinton

Almiron Wilson Gordon

- and all out injured or suspended. Probably gives most teams a run for their money!!

• Options
    only 1.5 miles this morning as a very easy recovery run after the exertions last night 

Wordle in four - again!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    That's a decent team, or rather not a team, TS!

Wordle in four.