Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words- thought I’d give xcountry another go this weekend but have no suitable shoes so went to an outlet store and came home with my purchase only to find I’d bought netball shoes! Thought they looked like off-road - only time I played netball was when I was a kid and we wore skellerup black lace up boots! Never mind - tried them out - not like I’m going to be able to run fast anyway!
  • Options
    Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    NZC
    serious risk to life and limb in those shoes if it's muddy out there!!

Netball is becoming a lot more physical if what my eldest g'daughter tells me about it and she plays at quite a high level against seasoned women.

Did anyone see that remarkable 800m run by 17 year old Sophie Gill over the weekend in NI- 1:57.86?!!!
    Some talent  :)

Wordle in three today
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Yes, I saw the St Alban's girl's 800; a very impressive run, running away from quite a strong domestic field.

Yes, also had the deluge that hit Old Trafford on Sunday, starting before it hit there by a couple of minutes. 

Yes, netball has become a lot more physical from what I have seen. 

Lots of cross training in the garden, trying to overcome the neglect of the last eleven weeks or so. 

Wordle in four. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Torque Steer - Yes unsure whether to wear them or not - a lot of rain overnight- creeks flooded- just a short walk with the dog this morning.

Alehouse - gardening is good if you get the rewards - hope you don’t have a dog to undo your efforts!
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Yesterday long run ten miles-first one post Newport-yay.

Wordle in five
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP
    nice  :)

WZC
    we don't want you slipping over and and injury - as I have often said "xcountry is devil's work" :)

alehouse
    lots of "yeses" there :)

Surprised you could get in the garden - thought it would be flooded!
    Or is that where the aquarobics take place?

Wordle in five today

• Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    TS How is the knee? any chance of a run?

Recovery four miler today in 22 degree heat at  7.45am I came back hair and top soaking wet!
    Looks like an even earlier run tomorrow!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP
    not even the chance of a walk  :/

Will reassess options after Mrs TS' op next week and how long she will be out of action.

You had the best of it!  Only 14C here and a misty drift of dampness by mid-afternoon!

Wordle in four
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    TS: It sounds pretty bad at the moment if not even a walk .Which op is this for Mrs TS? 

Out at 6.45am and it was 20 degrees by the time I finished an hour later.

That reminds me not done wordle as yet.

Wordle in Five
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Survived the xcountry - didn't wear the netball shoes - it wasn't pretty! Should have bought some spikes but the course was pretty dry so was lucky. Had a nice walk/run on the beach with son and his dog today for 12 km.

All the best for Mrs Torque Steer's op!
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    NZC: Good to hear you survived the xcountry, hopefully with no injuries. 
    And yes, best wishes for Mrs TS's op this week.

Now comfortably on the other side of my little surveillance procedure on Thur (or more to the point, the prep for it). Prelim looks OK though won't know for sure until histology results come through in a week or two.  Did put a 5-day hole in running plans though. 

Back in action this morning with a double loop LSR (16.3 km @ 6:26, HR 122/138).  Pit stop at the 12 km mark disrupted running rhythm 
    though.  Last 4 km became a bit of a slog, with protesting legs.  Otherwise, the ongoing tree work saga yesterday pm and this afternoon.  Now in tidy up phase at the front of the house.  Other end hopefully a little less challenging.  At least it is generating loads of much needed mulch for our fruit & ornamental trees and garden.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Glad that you are back to it, NZD! And I bet you more than survived the xc, NZC!

Not a lot to report here apart from a lot of gardening in my daughter's wilderness. Doesn't seem to have harmed the hamstring. Very warm at 24 degrees both yesterday and today.

Wordle failure: too many choices. 

Not seen Birch for a while.  Hopefully all is OK.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Thanks all for good wishes to Mrs TS. - I will be back on nursey duties for a while afterwards.
    The op is to remove the metalwork inserted in the knee to repair the fractured patella and to do any tidying up of the bone removing any sharp edges etc so its quite invasive.

NZC
    glad you survived the xcountry and the choice of footwear :)
    Didn't damage you too much with a 12K beach jaunt!

NZD
    sounds a positive result from the camera work so far - fingers crossed for you.
    Indeed 16K+ sounds very positive indeed!
    Tree pruning is good fun until it comes to tidying u afterwards

alehouse
    I gather your daughter doesn't like gardening :)?
    It should be the other way round as you recover!

Warm her as well after a chill start - did some chores and a short walk with Mrs TS to get an ice cream in the Gardens :persevere:

Wordle in three yesterday and six today -likewise too many options after getting the last four letters in three.
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    At least the gardening duties should be keeping you moving, alehouse. Sounds more like your garden, at her house though!
    TS: Which day is Mrs TS's op? Or already done? 🤞

Straight single loop of estuary yesterday (8.3 km @ 6:13). Nothing this morning (g'kids here to take to school). 
  • Options
    NZD

all done thanks and now back home - so full nursey duties for me for a while.
    Metalwork extracted and some "trimming" of bone carried out to give hopefully an easier ride for the patella over the femur - we shall see.

We nearly have an estuary here as the rain has returned in earnest this morning!
    Hopefully it was a bit better for your run.

Our stroll/hobble in the sunshine on Sunday seems a long time ago now but we did pass by the New Zealand Garden created in memory of the NZ airmen from WW2  who are buried nearby.

A new addition has been a Pikorua sculpture created by a local artist set prominently in the centre of the garden which looked rather impressive.

Must take a photo for you on another fine day - if one comes along!!

Wordle in five today which continued a run of same.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good news, nurse TS! And the cross training up and down the stairs will hopefully do you good!

Nothing to report here apart from a day of torrential rain, plus more stretches etc. Being Wednesday it will be a long stretch this evening. 

Wordle in four, five then three today. 

Hope Birch is OK and today's session wasn't too damp!
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    No rain here although we were to have a down pour.
    Glad  nurse duties commencing and all went well for mrs TS.

All good here plenty of running and today was lsr so 12.6 miles longest since Newport and cooler weather so pretty perfect conditions.I have had compression tights on since run to aid recovery :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    yes - where is Birch , not on holiday again :)?

alehouse
    you should be getting taller :)

WP
    it will be coming for you soon - make the most of the dry weather

Very nice  run to maintain that plateau you have achieved - good going.

Back in the groove of nursing/physio duties - I prepared my first icepack this morning for the patient - don't think it was appreciated!!

Wordle in six again - after another "..... is a word but...."
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    edited May 23
    TS:  At least the physio duties will be giving your arms a workout :smile: .
    Good 12.6 miles effort, WP

Weather here has generally been OK the last few weeks apart from heavy rain a couple of days ago (flooding in parts of Auckland but not near us). Pleasant 8.3 km this morning with half a dozen 200m - 300m efforts (~4:40 ave).

• Options
    NZD
    nice outing - and good efforts too!

It's all hands off at the moment until the incisions are fully knitted but I do a very cold ice pack :)

Off now to see g'daughter on her teenage birthday - and hopefully some cake!

Wordle in four - I see they are trying to monetise the options now
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the cake, TS...although you might need a run to compensate.  

Just back from an aqua jog. 5 x 3 minute reps off 30 seconds. Managed to get the HR up to 115. Changing routine was improved compared with the last visit.

It rained all day Wednesday,  Thursday and this morning; a little surprised that the cricket at Old Trafford was only delayed by three hours, although they are off the field again.  At 12 degrees I didn't fancy going!

Wordle in three yesterday,  five today.
  • Options
    Good long run from Welsh Poppy.

Well done on the nursing duties Torque Steer.

Don't know much about aqua jogging alehouse but that doesn't sound very much - is it about keeping your speed?

Sounds like a good run NZD.

I did Hobsonville Point Parkrun today - pleased with my effort - 27.26 but loved my age-grade 85.36% One bonus to getting old!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    No, the aqua jogging wasn't very much, NZC...but it is right on the limit of what I can do at present! Being ultra careful!
    Decent parkrun age grade there!

Went to parkrun to watch a friend run as it was such a beautiful morning down by the river. By chance I saw a guy with a Boston marathon top on and asked if he was 0054 from the forums; it was! An enjoyable chat with him and his family ahead of representing England in the Great Manchester Half tomorrow. 

Wordle in three. 
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    NZC: Great parkrun result. I did a quick back of the envelope calc and at 76, I'd need to run around 22:20 to match your AG. Ouch!  Well done indeed.
    Alehouse, are you noticing much improvement yet, at least for day to day activities? Now fully off crutches? Nice pic BTW. Yes, weight gain is an occupation hazard with enforced inactivity.
    TS: Patient starting to pick up yet? Hopefully this time around recovery will be a lot quicker. 

LSR this morning, 16.4 km @ 6:32. Have to confess, a bit of a slog at the end despite the slow pace 😕. Mix of rain and sun. Earlier band of rain had cleared by the time I set out (pic 1). Second had a hole in it and mostly passed either side of me (pic 2)!  Not so fortunate with bands 3, 4, & 5 though 😕. Quite windy but not cold. 

Early morning sunlight peaking over left side of cloud bank. That one thankfully heading further out to sea (quite quickly). > E. 

Second one 20 minutes on, with full double rainbow (outer one top clipped by amateur camera boy). > W. 

• Options
    NZC
    that's an excellent AG -pity the only way to get it is to get older :)!!

alehouse
    sounded like typical cricket weather!

A good meet/greet as well in the sunshine

NZD
    nice photos - like the double rainbow over what looks like a long uphill climb!
    a 10 mile+ is always a good sign no matter what  the pace is

Yes thanks, patient is responding to my tender ministrations :)
    Has to keep weight off her legs for at least a week so it is still crutches time and a push up the stairs by me.

Some classic mile running by Josh Kerr - real strength in the last 300m to break Cram's long standing UK record and a very impressive run in the women's 880m by  Keely Hodgkinson -we (UK!) really have some talent in that latter event

Wordle in four, four and four! 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Still cricket weather here! Was hoping to spend time at Old Trafford but no play so far today. Also tried to get in the garden (ivy removal prior to a new fence); after five minutes have twice been rained off.

Another aqua jog session instead: 3 x 6 minutes off 30 seconds, so progress from last time. Stretches also.

Wordle in five yesterday and today.
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    alehouse: More 'cricket weather' for Tuesday too!?  Good progress.
    Yup TS, 3:45.34 is impressive (my best 1 mile effort in a parkrun a couple of years ago being almost double that!).

13.2 km progression run this morning. Not quite as intended: ~8 km at 6:19 (HR 122/129, EG 50m); 3 at 5:30 (139/146), 0.76 at 4:49 (151/154)!, 1.4 wind down. First 8km probably a bit fast - ran out of steam on my intended 1km+ 'fast' segment (gave up at the base of a short ~1.5m rise!).  "Must try harder".
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

Glad to see all is going well with nursing duties.I loved JK one mile win and to beat SC record which stood for a long time.

NZD ten mile long run-nice

NZC: Great AG at parkrun.

Couple poor days ,short intervals on Sunday but yesterday hardly any sleep so abandoned run after a mile.PT today so that sound be fun.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Hope the PT went well, WP!

Not really my type of consistency, NZD!

Just back from 3 x 8 minutes aqua jogging off of one minute. Feel exhausted now!

Any news, Mick? Or Birch?

Wordle in five.