Options

VLM 2018!!

Comments

• Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    You get a hard copy through the post along with a magazine, usually a 2/3 weeks before if I remember rightly
  • Options
    or ring 0207 902 0200 and ask VLM Enquiries
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone, really appreciated! One month to go!
  • Options
    Right, having finally got through on the phone, seems that, we have to download and print off our own confirmation letter from a pdf that’s being sent out in early April then take this to the excel to collect our running information, wonder how many people have changed email address in the past year,lol ?
  • Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    That's strange - new process for this year? It's always come in the post before with a magazine that has all the race day info etc
  • Options
    Just reading back - good point from nicko re: bin bag... it's really not very eco-friendly. I mentioned it as a "traditional" way of covering up... but, yes, an actual waterproof jacket that can be discarded and go to charity is much better in the case of torrential rain!

dave's information tallies with what's on the website... downloadable pdf to be used:

I have yet another question... sorry!

I'm working out my journey from my hotel to the Expo... the VLM web site says "[...] journey to ExCel's dedicated station Prince Regent.", but looking at various train websites (e.g. TFL and Southeastern) the DLR station Custom House is called "Custom House (for ExCel)"... which station do we need to get out at for the expo? Sorry it's such a stupid question - but I'm a details person! :blush:

• Options
    Little Nell,

The answer is BOTH

ExCel Centre is so long that there is a DLR station at either end.

Which day are we meeting for a nosh up?
  • Options
    Unfortunately the “wonderful “travel websites haven’t updated from last year when Custom House was closed for upgrade as Harmander says,both serve Excel, have a good day 
  • Options
    Thanks Harmander and dave!

Is there a "better" station to choose... i.e. one that's closer to the number pick up point? Apart from maybe looking at some commemorative kit, and hunting down Harmander at the RW  pacing stand, I don't want to have to walk around too much as I'm fully expecting my legs to need as much rest as possible.

Harmander... I was thinking Friday - does that suit you? (P.S. I have some work colleagues with whom the phrase "nosh up" can't be used... but they are very silly boys and you are a gent... so I'll move swiftly on! :blush:)
  • Options
    If they use the same hall as last year then custom house is probably closer by about 100/200yards, registration is litralite just inside, it's also one stop closer if coming from town ?
  • Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Just to be aware there's a possibility of a strike on DLR over VLM weekend. This was in the news last week, and if it happens, it'll last for four days and start at 6am on the 20th. I don't know what's behind this (and quite frankly, I couldn't give a shit - I just want to enjoy my marathon weekend, and don't appreciate being denied the service I need), but it could make getting around on that weekend difficult. If you're planning ahead, it might be wise to have a plan B which doesn't involve DLR.
  • Options
    > @rodeoflip said:
    > Just to be aware there's a possibility of a strike on DLR over VLM weekend. This was in the news last week, and if it happens, it'll last for four days and start at 6am on the 20th. I don't know what's behind this (and quite frankly, I couldn't give a shit - I just want to enjoy my marathon weekend, and don't appreciate being denied the service I need), but it could make getting around on that weekend difficult. If you're planning ahead, it might be wise to have a plan B which doesn't involve DLR.

Thanks for this rodeoflip, going to get a plan b together. I’m coming from Sheffield so not familiar with London at all really.

Hope we do get our magazines this week- I asked the chatbot service and it said the 26th?... eek!
  • Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Facebook membleberries showed me that I got mine at this time either last year or one of the previous - so if it's coming, I'd expect it to land on the doorstep in the next few days.

Re: DLR - Custom House definitely better option if you don't want to have to walk the entire length of the ExCel (assuming same hall setup as previous).

Got a meeting in London on the Wednesday so going to get it out the way early.

@Harmander Singh 2  - will the RW pacers be at the expo from day 1?
  • Options
    nicko1981,
    Yes the RW Pacers are going to be there every day from Wednesday through to Saturday - from 10:00 am till 8:00 pm (5:00 pm on Saturday).
    There is also a NB Pacer Hub that will have RW Pacers on it between the same times.
    Little Nell, I will be there Wednesday to Friday from 3:00 pm till 8:00 pm so will look forward to be graced an audience with you - hope you like Pie & Mash with jellied eels  :)
  • Options
    I do,and I’ll be eating exactly that on race day from Goddards, while I jealously watch/cheer all you lucky people pass by, bring on 2019,lol, very best of luck to you all ?
  • Options
    IF, DLR strike goes ahead then it’s Jubilee line to Canning Town then 164 or 241 bus to Excel, not a major problem, might be a bit of a pain race day for supporters thought, but I’m sure our glourious mayor “every journey matters to me “ khan will sort it out, mind you with his track record,probably not lol ? 
  • Options
    ALL final instructions and confirmation paper work is in the form of pdf, NO hard copy, apparently you can print this off at the Expo, but you must have the information contained in the email to do this! Emails will be sent out by the end of march, chaos will ensue, I'm sure lol ?

• Options
    I was hoping for a hard copy but will just have to print it off instead. I bought a copy of last years spectators guide off eBay, for my daughter as she has aspergers and finds new places much easier if she has some detail and pictures before hand
  • Options
    jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Going back to the subject of pacing, and given that we’ve got Harmander taking time out to help us here, can I ask what the recommended approach to using pacers for a non-pace time is?

What I mean by that is, let’s say that I’d ideally like to finish in x:50 or :55 but the nearest pacers are x:45 and x+1:00.  Is it better to try to stay with the x:45 pacer as long as you can, or sit with the x+1:00 pacer and then push on in the final few miles (if able)?

The only time I used a pacer before, I ended up 5 minutes ahead of that group at half way, then spent the remainder of the race looking over my shoulder as I started to slow (having maybe gone off a bit too fast).  The pacer group eventually caught up with me at around mile 22 or so, and I then did my best to stick with them for the remaining miles - which was tough but I managed it.

I’m hoping to meet the pacers on the Saturday of race weekend, but I’m sure many of us might sit between paces, and it’d be good to find out which method makes most sense... thanks
  • Options
    jtced,
    Little Nell followed my suggestion at the Manchester Marathon last year - it seemed to work for her.
    Most people go off too fast, I suggest that you go with the faster pacer until half way and then run as your body allows after that.
    Pacers don't bank time or do catch-up - we TRY to have as even pace as possible throughout.
    I will wait for others to reply before elaborating on how i pace myself.
  • Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Personally I'd set out with the faster pacer and try to stick as long as you can with them; then you are more likely to exceed your goal.

Of course this could completely backfire.
  • Options
    hi just a quick one to see if you are allowed headphones at this years LM? I seem to remember reading that you could but a friends opinion has made me doubt this. Thanks in advance
  • Options
    vodkabobvodkabob ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure you can wear ear phones unless you are in the Club Championship or one of the Elites, I could be wrong but I'm planning on wearing mine!

Can anyone recommend a decent Travel App for London? Never been before and I am pretty confident I will end up lost getting to the Excel, to my hotel then to the Start :)
  • Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Headphones are discouraged, but not banned. So feel free to wear them, with the usual caveats (busy race, be aware of surroundings, etc.).

Apps - Tube map if you're planning on using the underground / DLR.

• Options
    hi,

running my first marathon at London. just worried about travel for me and the people coming to watch me.

the suggested route takes me along the DLR and the point my spectators want to watch me at is pretty much all the DLR. does anyone know what will happen if the DLR strike goes ahead because they say alternative route on TFL will by bus which obviously wont work because of road closures.
    sorry about the panic
  • Options
    Agree with rodeoflip.
    Personally I have never understood the appeal of wearing them and as Race Director will be enforcing the rule in the races I am in charge of as far too often there have been cases of runners wearing them clearly ignoring genuine warnings such as getting out of the way of emergency vehicles trying to get to people in need of life saving treatment - simply because they say they never heard the sirens.  In races where there is traffic is also permitted it is mandatory that earphones are banned - even wearing them in one ear.
    Not sure what they add, certainly not to the performance as none of the elite or even sub-2:30 hour finishers.  Just expressing my opinion but not preaching.
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

In case of DLR strike maybe plan alternative routes by tube? The jubilee line is pretty good - but bear in mind that it gets rammed even when the DLR is open.

TFL app would factor in road closures.

• Options
    okay brilliant thank you for the help i'm hoping they don't strike don't need that extra stress :# :# :#
  • Options
    GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    there have been lots of threatened strikes down the years but none have ever come off. fingers crossed!
  • Options
    ah okay fingers crossed then.

i've worked out some alternative routes so prepared now.
    one other thing i know when i went to watch my brother in law a few years ago they shut some stations. Does the ST James park station usually get closed later in the day or will people still be able to travel there