Comrades 2018

Comments

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    JAR - good to see you posting here :)
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Karen! I hadn't realised that it was you. Giving Comrades another go then?
  • Does anyone know if there are any race videos this year? I'll be very narked if there aren't, I made a special effort to break into a run at the top of Polly Shortts where the cameras were last time.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    RR I am the bringer of the nark. 2015 was the last year they had video coverage. The contract was not renewed in 2016. I went through my nark over a year ago. Well done on your post Polly propulsion. I, at least, am very impressed!
  • Oh, bums :( . Still, it got me going again.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    RR I have tried stalking you on the SABC TV feed posted on YouTube, which frustratingly currently dies out prior to the 12 hour close, but that's another subject. There is an interview going on at the finish line at around the time you finished, but I can't spot you in the background. Possibly worth a look yourself.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    I will be back for number 6. And becca, how did you hear about the possible new finish change for next year? The two down runs i have completed at Kingsmead were amazing.

Well done all for this year and commiserations for those who didn't get what they wanted. I had a tough day on the road and basically got cooked about 30k from the finish. The thoughts about stopping were very strong but struggled on for another sub 10 (just!!). Although did buy an ice lolly from a lady on the side of the road around cato ridge which was just AMAZING :)
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Marty - yay, team Half Green rolls on. Heard about the venue change from SD and others. 

Lowrez - those questions to Karen - you probably know the answers as I've seen a pic on FB and you sat next to Karen at breakfast one morning. 

Just back from running  St Albans half and saw a couple of Comrades caps among the runners. 
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    In other news, well done to SD on completing the South Downs Way 100. 
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Yo! SD Well done :)

Mmm breakfast! That can only be Monday's Mugg & Bean Becca, I think I know who you mean - but the memory already fades - who are you again?

• AndyLidAndyLid ✭✭✭
    Karen, are you the Karen and Jock that I and Cara ran the Parkrun with (as if there could be two such couples?!). Many thanks for all your enthusiasm on the Saturday and I hope the comrades went well for you both.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
  • Well done Slow Duck!!! And well done Becca on the HM.

How's everyone else doing for recovery? I've taken it very easy for a week. Ran 3.1 miles gently on Saturday and about 6.5 yesterday - I did cycle into work Wednesday and Thursday (it was slow going). Bit of top-of-foot pain where the Champion Chip was - may have irritated the tendons, so I'll have to keep an eye on that.

• Anyone got a total ascent for last week's run from their Garmin? (Not got mine downloaded).
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

Jock and Karen and, I presume, AndyLid and Cara. :smile:
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

By the shadows being cast I'd say you were on Formby Beach near Liverpool!

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Unfinished business for me and already planning a revised training programme for 2018!  Only arrived back yesterday from Cape Town but there were storms out there so stayed in the wine region most of last week, no bad thing.

Debra - I had 1,838m gain and 1,217m loss recorded, and 54.5 miles run or 87.7km.  I expect most of us ran a bit extra.  Enjoying your book so far!

JK - glad to hear you plan to run it again next year.

Two Oceans is a possibility for me in 2018 as it falls on my birthday, is a week earlier than this year and Comrades will be a week later, which gives extra time for recovery.
  • Yes, that's Jock and Karen.

Mac3: Thanks for the ascent/descent details - I'm writing my race report for our running club mag (and a longer version to go on my blog). I think I got 54.5 miles as well.

Please to hear you're enjoying my book. :-)

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the congratulations. As I only did 2/3 of Comrades the legs weren't too bad. A bit broken today though...

The new finish venue is only a rumour - which we seem to have before every down run ever since the football stadium was built for the 2010 World Cup...
  • jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    > @lowrez said:
    > Dang! Thought I'd found it, but I think this will be outside the qualification window: Beer Lovers Marathon
    >
    > JK- Oh no - what happened?
    >

Let's just say a rather unpleasant & prolonged stop at a portaloo around 5k before Drummond followed by getting sick just after the half way meant I couldn't quite face another 44k feeling that way.

> @Mac3 said:
    > Unfinished business for me and already planning a revised training programme for 2018!  Only arrived back yesterday from Cape Town but there were storms out there so stayed in the wine region most of last week, no bad thing.
    >
    > Debra - I had 1,838m gain and 1,217m loss recorded, and 54.5 miles run or 87.7km.  I expect most of us ran a bit extra.  Enjoying your book so far!
    >
    > JK - glad to hear you plan to run it again next year.
    >
    > Two Oceans is a possibility for me in 2018 as it falls on my birthday, is a week earlier than this year and Comrades will be a week later, which gives extra time for recovery.

Hope you had a great holiday, I was wondering how you got on as my boss's son was in CapeTown last week so I heard some second-hand descriptions incredible storms going on there. Thanks again for the lift to the start & hopefully we'll all be back there again next year!
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    JK - sorry you hit that problem - nothing you can do when that sort of thing hits - dehydration could result in a far, far worse situation if you struggled on - you did the right thing. There's always another year - good to see you here looking for that :)  
  • AndyLidAndyLid ✭✭✭
    Becca7 many thanks for the picture, it's great and the best one I've seen of us from the day.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    No problem Andy.

Booked Belaire and now have entries for two of my prep races, London Marathon and the 40 mile Born to Run in Llanelli, which as a nice big hill in the middle.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Here you all are later that same day after a few beers. Look! That's Bruce Fordyce on the right!

• I've booked the Belaire too! Suspect I'll end up using a SVN event for my qualifier, again, but do need to do some hilly ones as well. I'd love to do SDW50 but have to be at a conference on that Saturday for work (every year. Grr.) NDW50 is a bit close to Comrades...
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Winter Tanners is normally a fairly hilly one. A bit early as it's January. I'll probably do Charnwood Marathon again and Oxon 20. 
  • I'm in

Karen - Your'e friends of Terry's aren't you? We met, breakfast Monday morning. Glad you'll be back

So it's not finishing behind City Lodge? Is it a new finish?

Have been looking at 2 Oceans if only because the weather in March must be better for a holiday!! 

Terry - Hope you've sorted your London Marathon place for next year. OH has now entered and says he'll see you in the start pen :)
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

The rumours of a finish in the football stadium have been kicking (ha ha) around ever since it was built. There is no confirmation available at this time that it will. The finish last year was in Kingsmead Cricket Ground which is dead close to the Hilton/City Lodge, in fact I think you run past the Hilton on the way to Kingsmead. I love the finish at this place.

I thought the new finish venue in Maritzburg was a bit impersonal, the run in through the fence and service road was abysmal.

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    City Lodge booked. To be honest I'm not too fussed where it finishes in Durban...
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I've just booked Belaire, so definately back in 2018 after missing a year (deals seem to vary quite a lot, currently seemed a good price on agoda.com, £45+tax per night, pay just before arrival, can cancel up to day before)