Options

Correct cyclist vs runner road/lane behaviour.

Comments

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    I think this has progressed beyond runners to pedestrians now.

There are several issues but I actually side with Colin in part.
    First and foremost runners and pedestrians can and should be able to use the roads if necessary. The obvious caveat is that it is imperative to be aware of your surroundings. 
    This however goes for all road users: motorists should drive at a sensible speed for tight corners/ blind bends as should cyclists.

I am enraged by runners who insist on wearing headphones on wholly inappropriate roads, similarly cyclists without lights at night and dressed in black. I also think speeding and stupid overtaking by motorbikes and cars alike is just senseless.

Where I do agree with Colin, and some of those you tube clips prove it, is that there is a ridiculous negligence by (usually) pedestrians (not runners) who are transfixed by their phones. The case cited above is a case in point. Yes the bike was inappropriate for road use, yes it should have functioning brakes, but there is also a need for pedestrians to look before they step out. * Full facts not disclosed but the consensus is she was on her phone.

I run through Canary Wharf several times a week, there is a very large percentage of people transfixed by a small screen to pay any heed to cars, cyclists and yes, us runners. 
    Similarly , and far more lethally, motorists shouldn't be on their phones, or be wearing headphones either whilst driving.

I can argue the toss about my equal right to use open spaces - which I do - but as far as safety is concerned I can be legally correct , but dead if I ignore the perils of half a tonne (or more) of metal.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
  • Options
    Colin, you have raised this point about necessity of being on the road a number of times. What about those people that need to walk/run on the road to get to work, to the shops or wherever else they need to go? Not everyone drives and not everyone lives in an area where there are paths along all of the roads. For my commute to work it is about 6 miles, sometimes I drive, sometimes I cycle and occasionally I will run it too. With all 3 options, I need to use the road, there are no footpaths for quite long sections or other routes to take. On my journey I quite often see an elderly lady walking along a section of the road at the same time most mornings. I have no idea where she is going but the fact it is regular means it is most likely work related and there is a good chance she doesn't have a car. Are you saying she is not allowed to go to work or visit her family/friends??? Likewise, am I no longer allowed to run to work (is work not a necessity)? I am fortunate that I have use of a car and bike but not everyone does. Before you say it, there is no bus/train route so public transport is not an option... it is a very rural location.

Besides, the vast majority of car journeys are not 'necessary'. People go out for a drive for leisure or to a shop or to visit somewhere that is not essential to their life. If all that stopped, it would be much safer for everyone also.... a lot more boring but at least pedestrians will be safer on the road. It's a ridiculous argument!

Maybe you could do us all a favour and never leave your house... its not necessary. We don't need you to do so
  • Options
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Colin, I am not "coming after you as a person," I am trying to understand why you have such extreme views on something that should really be at the periphery of your outlook. 

I disagree with your views because I know they are wrong.  Besides I seem to recall you repeatedly referring to me as an arsehole the last time I made you look stupid on here, so was that a good sign then, that you had been, how do the yoof refer to it.........triggered?
  • Options
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Your view appears to be that no runner should ever be allowed on the road and this should be enforced legally, everywhere? I'd say that's a pretty extreme view to take, denying freedom to move around on public rights of way? 
  • Options
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Have you been googling legal latin phrases Colin? Are you trying to sound more informed than you are? You little tinker. I bet you love getting a parking ticket :D
  • Options
    edited August 2017
  • Options
    Who's trolling who?
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Colin, on a serious, more fundamental note, why do you take the motorist as the default, primary user of the road? I don't want to hear an economic argument, I want to here a moral justification.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm just posting this from my phone - hoping for some advice.   I'm running the Cotswolds Way - you know:- the big national well-marked footpath.  

I've done 3 miles through the beautiful rolling countryside but I've just reached a road and looking closely at my map, I see the Cotswolds Way follows a road with no footpaths for the next half mile.  What should I do?  A rapid response would be helpful because I've already eaten my picnic.
  • Options
    Hi everyone.  I'm just posting from my phone and wonder if someone with legal knowledge can help me.

I'm in the Cotswolds.  A really beautiful part of the world.  Unfortunately, I've just had a head-on smash with a van that was being driven on the wrong side of the road round a blind bend.  As luck would have it, a minibus full of police officers witnessed it all.

It turns out that the other driver is a hard-working builder on his way to build a house whilst I just admitted to the police that I'm on a week's holiday and was on a day trip.  The trouble is, they're now saying that I didn't actually NEED to be on the road and so the accident is my fault. What should I do?
  • Options
  • Options
    Colin - totally agree! It was probably those idiots that painted 'SLOW' in big letters on the road that distracted the driver! What were they thinking!
  • Options
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    I know you've said previously that you're not ridiculous but there is a touch of ridiculousness about you Colin.

Nice one one Nose Nowt.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
  • Options

Two posts all about you, Nose Nowt. You're at the centre of your universe, aren't you. I, I, I. Your needs.

Just to be clear, Colin, I didn't actually need legal advice. Hey, I'm not even in the Cotswolds today.

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2017
  • Options
    Cheers nose nowt! Just like the old days of RW, really missed this stuff. Keep it (him) going.
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    In the latest clip the pedestrians are standing on the verge, not the road. Does that count? Under Colin's Law should there be a proximity to the road clause? Perhaps a protective road cage to keep pedestrians out. Something needs to done to stop these walkie/runny bastards clambering over cars, pulling off windscreen wipers and jizzing on the bonnet.

Watching clips isn't research Colin. But I still love you.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I'm still wondering how pedestrians/runners are supposed to cross road junctions...
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I have an almost indefatigable appetite for trolling and arguing but even i can no longer be bothered with Colin. You seem to be devoid of a sense of humour Colin. I previously insinuated that you were probably unemployed because you had so much time available for your petty crusades but now I am wondering if you are in fact a civil servant.
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    I have an almost indefatigable appetite for trolling and arguing but even i can no longer be bothered with Colin.
    Oh come on Reg where's your stamina? If it wasn't for Colin we'd be talking about knee displacement and shoe fittings. The prospect of someone lobbying Parliament and the insurance industry to have us all run over and/or arrested is far more interesting.
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    I'm still wondering how pedestrians/runners are supposed to cross road junctions...
    Permits.